It is currently 24 Aug 2017, 06:50

All times are UTC

Post subject: Green future for F1
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2008, 16:59  
F1 Champion

Dear F1 friends, last week I read this article in the Dutch Metro (free newspaper), I thought it was rather interesting, and would like to share it with you guys, It translated to English, so it won't be perfect English :thumbsup:

Tons that a Formule 1 team expels 140 tons, that's equal to 7 American households, and equal to 14 European Households

Per race the Red Bull team Racing uses: 28 sets of tires, 2200 liters fuel, 150 liters oil, 12000 Red Bull cans
For long distances races (Non-european) every team uses: 28,5 tons airfreigt and 10 tons seafreight
How far do they drive: - F1 cars in a race x 18: 15000 kilometers - that's one and a quarter times round the world
- F1 cars during tests: 30000 kilometers: that's two and a half times round the world
- Trucks of the raceteams: 25000 kilometers: that's 2 times round the world
- Trucks of the testteams: 35000 kilometers: that's 3 times round the world

What do F1-teams use during a GP-weekend?
- 2 race cars
- 1 extra chassis
- 3 spare bodyworks
- 6 spare engines
- 10 trucks
- 15 cars
- 2 scooters

Who gets the Red Bull Racing team to a GP?
- 2 racedrivers
- 1 testdriver
- 70 people race team staff
- 13 mechanics
- 14 waiters
- 10 chefs

CO2 expels during a race:
- Cars of the visitors (65000 people): 6975
- journalists (500 people): 629.4
- the race: 501
- trash: 149
- transport of the VIPs: 80
- the teams: 54.5
- emergency services: 11

remarkable:
60000 tyres are made by Bridgestone in 1 year, if you would put all the tyres on one another, then you would have twice the hight of the Mount Everest.
Sources: Red Bull Racing, Bridgestone, Liege University, Carbon Sense

What do you guys think of these facts, and of a greener F1?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Green future for F1
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2008, 17:01  

i remember autosport, an english magazine, running a special about 3 years ago about f1 becoming greener and max mosley saying 'he would stop f1 for 6 months if needed'

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008, 04:33  
kart driver

I think that in any sport there is waste that is involved in transport teams and hosting events. Since motor sports consist of burning fuel it will have a larger impact on the environment. I think the Formula is taking the rights steps especially with the addition of KERS to the cars next year.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2008, 06:24  
car driver

The KERS will definitely benefit the automotive industry as a whole. I can't wait to see the technology that will ultimately trickle down to the consumer level.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2008, 19:07  
Co-Admin

Its time for F1 to go green & in cost effective way (lol)
Environments issues are too serious can't be neglected by F1. :|

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2008, 21:41  
GP2 Driver

screw all this green bulls** and just make the cars run on bio-diesel. plenty of power so the quality of racing is the same and it is greener than any modifications that could possible be done to a gas engine.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 19:26  
F1 Routinier

bio-diesel is just a mix of diesel and crop oils, i don't think i would help and some experts say it's actually gonna be bad in the long run....why not run on battery power, solar power :D :D :D

PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 20:02  
Co-Admin

Already this year we have, Fuel made up of at least 5.75% biological materials, change to comply with the European law on fuel composition. <clicky>

Major Questions on Biofuels <clicky>
Code:
An often mentioned incentive for using biofuel is its capacity to lower greenhouse gas emissions compared to those of fossil fuels. If this is true or not depends on many factors. Especially the effects from land use change have potential to cause even more emissions than what would be caused by using fossil fuels alone.

Carbon dioxide is one of the major greenhouse gases. Although the burning of biodiesel produce carbon dioxide emissions similar to those from ordinary fossil fuels, the plant feedstock used in the production absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere when it grows. Plants absorb carbon dioxide through a process known as photosynthesis which allows it to store energy from sunlight in the form of oil. After the oil is converted into biodiesel and burnt as fuel the energy and carbon is released again. Some of that energy can be used to power an engine while the carbon dioxide is released back into the atmosphere.

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 21:48  
F1 Driver

I find this debate a little bit weird. Green F1 is somewhat an oxymoron. As long as F1 cars have 600 or 700 HP powers, they will release greenhouse gases out of whatever they use as fuel unless they use solar energy or electrical engines, which seems not to be practical nowadays for it cannot allow to produce such power. Formula 1 is a unique sport thanks to its competetion at such high speeds. If they want to maintain that speed and at the same time keep the world green, they really must work harder to be able to produce such power from such energy sources.

Beside all, we have to run out of fuel. There are companies who make their investment on petrol. They won't allow such a big customer like F1 to go for solar energy or electrical power unless petrol is finished. They don't give a s..t to green world, they have to sell their petrols. This is the another side of the debate.

And the last but not the least, we should call it a day at the end of the day if we would like to see a green world. Formula 1 doesn't make the things easier.