Do you think reduced aero is a step backwards?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
DannyJ
car driver
car driver

Do you think reduced aero is a step backwards?

Post by DannyJ » 26 Apr 2008, 18:29

So how will this help the drivers overtake? If a car gets close to another car, car behind will under-steer from lack of front down-force. With less back wing it will cancel itself out? Is that the idea?

miro880
car driver
car driver

Re: Do you think reduced aero is a step backwards?

Post by miro880 » 26 Apr 2008, 18:44

It's very difficult for drive but I think that drivers will be haven,t problem, because they're the best on the World

gary
car driver
car driver

Post by gary » 27 Apr 2008, 23:00

With reduced down force levels, the car actually looks weird

dn2shmb
car driver
car driver

Post by dn2shmb » 28 Apr 2008, 20:22

I think it will be better and the technology will shift to things that could actually be passed down to road cars. And there will always be understeer when right on a competitors gearbox to get rid of that youd have to almost zero downforce which will never happen on these cars. Plus their have been plenty of exciting passes/battles in the past two seasons passing i think is more dependant on the track then downforce levels.

metalpigy
car driver
car driver

Post by metalpigy » 28 Apr 2008, 20:44

I think it will definatly be better. look at how it used to be about 10/11 years ago when the cars were less reliant on downforce and depended more on mechanic grip (especialy with slick tyres, looking forward to that next year) there was genarally more overtaking during races.

redmpav
kart driver
kart driver

Post by redmpav » 29 Apr 2008, 18:09

I agree I think that it is better it allows for more mechanical grip. It's not like the aero changes are like they were in the 60's or 70's they will still keep the car on the ground, but provide for better overtaking.

f1fanactic2000
car driver
car driver

Post by f1fanactic2000 » 29 Apr 2008, 19:12

I am looking forward to these changes, hopefully we will get more exciting races like those seen back in 1996 and 1997 :)

David Smith
kart driver
kart driver

Post by David Smith » 29 Apr 2008, 21:35

Ive got mixed feeling about it to be honest, i kind of do think its a step backwards or atleast a step in the wrong direction for F1,sounds as if there trying to push it more towards champcar/gp2/a1 style racing. The good thing about F1 is the ammount of progress on technology etc, seeing all the new aero designs of cars is one thing i love, seeing all the different ideas of how to get the best out of there car.

I just picture next year as A1 type cars, all the same and on slicks which maybe good for racing but its killing what f1 is and has always been. Its taking away the sexyness of f1 if you get what i mean, well the way im picturing it anyways.

But on the other hand, i do believe something has to be done to stop the dirty air preventing cars to follow each other without a huge performance loss, but i just dont want the cars to look old and if we are going backwards. Its like comparing an old road car to a new roadcar, just dont want them to look old hehe :D

Maybe im different from your usuall f1 fan where they want great racing and thats it, i do also want good racing but the look and technology of the cars is what is so appealing to me.

metalpigy
car driver
car driver

Post by metalpigy » 29 Apr 2008, 22:15

A very fair point David, i to like the beautifullly thought out and very clever aero looks and do believe it is in the spirit of F1 but something does have to be done.

I dont think it will mean that F1 will become like chumpcar, sorry Champcar, the designers will just have to think up even more sophistacted and clever designs to find more mechanical grip and make the aero package more efficient

spf4000
car driver
car driver

Post by spf4000 » 30 Apr 2008, 06:01

The aero got too good to the point where it creates so much down force that when the cars are in the dirty air of the cars in front, they lose the down force and cannot overtake. It then makes sense that by reducing the down force significantly, down force will be less of a factor and allow for more passing opportunities while braking.

But to me, it's more of a problem with circuit design as well that prevents side-by-side overtaking action. Widening out tracks far more would allow for creative lines and allow drivers to take risks to overtake.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 30 Apr 2008, 17:03

Brawn thinks that the new rules will increase overtaking:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67029

I also like the idea that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport in technology as well, but if we'd have better competition as Brawn thinks, I think it's worth it. No matter how good looking the cars are, I don't like watching car trains during the races. :roll::

And yes, it's very much about circuits too. Some circuits always allow good races like Interlagos, but then there's tracks like Monaco and now the other upcoming street tracks which will never allow much overtaking, no matter what kind of cars they're driving.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 06 May 2008, 16:44

well, them big bosses of f1 can drag them all backward as much as they want to....but the teams can always find ways to move back forward.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 06 May 2008, 19:06

Reducing aero is good for overtaking, but we can't rule out the possibily of F1 beginning to look like Champcar series. I don't support this idea because the car development and engine development are the key areas for any F1 team. But this can go significantly towards reducing the costs and there by allowing low budget teams to sustain.

Chaalan112
car driver
car driver

Post by Chaalan112 » 06 May 2008, 20:06

I agree too that it is better it allows for more mechanical grip. It's not like the aero changes are like they were in the 60's or 70's they will still keep the car on the ground, but provide for better overtaking.

karkai6
kart driver
kart driver

Post by karkai6 » 09 May 2008, 09:58

If the objective is to make the cars more exciting to drive, then the main factor, I think is the reduction of traction into and out of corners.. I saw a video of schumacher at Jerez in 1994.. Without traction control and with slick tires, it was far far exciting to watch wit opposite locks at so many corners.. And I don think the cars were too ugly at tat time either.. So i guess i d go for reduced aero..