It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 00:15

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Do we have to listen national anthems on the podium?
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 16:39  
F1 Driver

AzShadow wrote:
Well, no matter how you look at it, people still regard F1 as a sport among others and that includes emphasizing the nationality of the drivers. The national anthems are part of that. As it was said earlier here, if they start to take out the anthems, they'd have to change a lot else too. Then F1 wouldn't have the spirit anymore.

Yes, it does matter. In one side, fans are watching their countryman and gets happy and proud of driver's and team's success. Flags, anthems do their job in this categorization. I don't argue that. It's normal, it's within the process of civilization. I can't help it (if I can manage, I really would like to do that, but it's hopeless). I find it "sincere and natural."

But, on the other side, there are people whose sole purpose to make more and more people to watch F1 to make more money. To achieve this, they use (=abuse) people's way of feeling. And lots of drivers think that if they can make their flags to be hoisted or their anthems to be listened, they honor their nations. I am totally against this. It's not the only way to do it. Live in your country, pay your taxes and be as citizens as your people. But they don't do it either. Ultimately, I don't find it as a sincere and bona fide action.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 11:13  
GP2 Driver

xyneid wrote:
AzShadow wrote:
Well, no matter how you look at it, people still regard F1 as a sport among others and that includes emphasizing the nationality of the drivers. The national anthems are part of that. As it was said earlier here, if they start to take out the anthems, they'd have to change a lot else too. Then F1 wouldn't have the spirit anymore.

Yes, it does matter. In one side, fans are watching their countryman and gets happy and proud of driver's and team's success. Flags, anthems do their job in this categorization. I don't argue that. It's normal, it's within the process of civilization. I can't help it (if I can manage, I really would like to do that, but it's hopeless). I find it "sincere and natural."

But, on the other side, there are people whose sole purpose to make more and more people to watch F1 to make more money. To achieve this, they use (=abuse) people's way of feeling. And lots of drivers think that if they can make their flags to be hoisted or their anthems to be listened, they honor their nations. I am totally against this. It's not the only way to do it. Live in your country, pay your taxes and be as citizens as your people. But they don't do it either. Ultimately, I don't find it as a sincere and bona fide action.

But plenty sportsmen don't live in their countries. Swedish icehockey players live and play in US or Canada. Swedish footballers play for teams all over Europe. Several of our downhill skiers, tennis players and athletics competitors live in Monaco (for tax reasons obviously) They still wave the Swedish flag and the national anthem is played for them when they comptete internationally.

I DO understand your point about the moneymaking though, F1 is unique in that respect. (I think) But I don't think the flags and/or national anthems have much to do with that. IMO it's much worse when they start to move races just to fit in with Western European TV-times, or invent circus numbers like "night races" to get a wider audience and so on.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 23:08  
F1 Rookie

."

But, on the other side, there are people whose sole purpose to make more and more people to watch F1 to make more money. To achieve this, they use (=abuse) people's way of feeling. And lots of drivers think that if they can make their flags to be hoisted or their anthems to be listened, they honor their nations. I am totally against this. It's not the only way to do it. Live in your country, pay your taxes and be as citizens as your people. But they don't do it either. Ultimately, I don't find it as a sincere and bona fide action.[/quote]

It`s obvious that i`m not teaching you, cause you know it already, but those people that want to make money ? Bernie, he doesn`t care where the race is, the most important thing is money. We loose Spa, Suzuka, Silverstone, etc, no worries we have a lot of new circuits designed by the same guy, they all look alike (except Turkey wich is a great circuit), but there`s money, let`s change the timing for those European fans, shall we ? Now these world famous drivers can`t be "normal" citizens, they are to known, it`s impossible to have a private life specially in their own countries, but about the money they earn i have to agree with you, they have dream lives, they are youngs and bilionaires so why to be so greed and choose a Tax paradise to live in ? But in my opinion at the celebrating moment drivers don`t forget where they came from.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 09:51  
F1 Driver

I think you all get my point and I did all of yours. It's pretty awful to feel so lonely. Thank you for all your decent comments.

PostPosted: 03 May 2008, 18:15  
Kart Champion

I understand and agree with what u are saying to an extent. along with all the taxing and everything comes an uncontrolled media Hamilton could never survive the constant camera and interviews..A better option would be only being taxed during the off season when u are home for some months after the season..during the season these drivders must stay focus on their goal for that season.. lets not forget a government must use it work force to generate income...that means sportman and women as well....I agree the rich must not get away with all the money they have and not pay taxes, while the poor carry the load alone.

xyneid wrote:
AzShadow wrote:
Do we listen to national anthems in sports? :p Yes and they're part of it.

Of course, as you said, F1 is different and the driver does not do everything by himself. But that's why there's the team's national anthem as well. All of the personnel might not come from the same country but that kind of things are pretty irrelevant. In some other sports the atheletes might also use foreign coaches, but that hasn't been a problem either.

No, that's totally different. In national sports competetions and organizations, countries pay all the bills of those teams or individuals who will participate and represent that country and people of country, who pay taxes in order for their players to be paid. Sportsmen are raised and coached within this country via the sources of this particular country. You know what? Country also pays all the bills of foreign coaches or managers. They accomodate in that country, eat the food of this country and so on. Then, those people would be proud of their players' successes since they think they are part of that success.

But in Formula 1, drivers move to Swiss in order not to pay taxes for their country. What are the consequences then? Country will not adequately serve its community some utilities, part of which drivers are supposed to have responsibility by being a citizen. But those drivers prefer not to pay tax. Apart from money and financial thing, they don't even live in their home countries. Do they honor their nations? They don't live with them, they don't pay taxes. So, what's that? Do they think they give honor their citizens just beacuse they make them to listen the national anthem? Do you really feel you are honored in this way?
 Offline Profile