It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 11:49

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alonso: I need to learn to drive in midfield
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 00:08  
GP2 Driver

Despite being in his seventh season in Formula 1, Fernando Alonso has insisted he is having to learn all over again in 2008 – the etiquette of midfield driving, that is.
“Right now we're always in the middle of the group, starting in tenth or eleventh which is very difficult – fighting, overtaking. I need to learn from it and then by the end of the year I will be a better driver.”

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news ... field.html

What do you think about Alonso's comment?

I think he could ask Kimi for driving lessons and how to manage the etiquette of midfield driving
Looking at Kimi stats and taking in account only those races were he start 10 or worst and he didn't have to retire, we have the following season's averages:
Season -- Grid -- Race
2001 -- 13.70 -- 7.67
2002 -- 11.00 -- 4.00
2003 -- 17.50 -- 4.50
2004 -- 13.80 -- 6.50
2006 -- 16.50 -- 4.00
2007 -- 16.00 -- 8.00
-----------------------------------
Career -- 14.10 -- 5.33
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati 
 Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Alonso: I need to learn to drive in midfield
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 01:19  
GP2 Driver

I think it's a very sensible reply, of course it's more difficult to be fighting in the midpack than gliding in splendid isolation up front. Just ask Lewis Hamilton. :wink:

The stats are rather weird though, Kimi was always (xcept for 2001) in good cars, and I dont know how many races we are talking about per year when started tenth or worse and didn't DNF, plus if you start midfield with a fast car it's sort of easier to improve than if you start midfield with a c**p car, right? (MS Brazil 2006, anyone?)

If I do the same stats for Alonso, who was in much worse cars than Kimi in 2001, 2003 & 2004 I get:

Season -- Grid -- Race
2001 -- 20.00 -- 12, 75
2003 -- 13, 33 -- 6.00
2004 -- 15, 75 -- 7.00
2005 -- 13, 00 -- 3,00
2006 -- N/A
2007 -- 10.00 -- 7.00

Career 12, 013 -- 5, 958

What on earth is that supposed to prove? Not that Alonso needs any lessons, anyway... :cool:

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 01:27  
F1 Rookie

I think Alonso is trying to get something positive, from a really bad situation. For a double champion it has been hard , maybe he should remember his Minardi days.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 02:55  
GP2 Driver

For me it looks like he's trying to sell himself low, so when he get something done over the low expectation set by him, he would be praise as a great driver.
I don't discuss that he is one of the best in the grid, but the tactics that he is using this year (to undersell himself) could backfire. The human mind does strange things and unconciously he could really believe all the c**p about himself and his car.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 08:15  

alonso, just remember: its better than a minardi...............oh, hell it aint!!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 08:43  
GP2 Driver

Its a stupid reply really he just wants to take the pressure of him by saying this sort of things.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 13:13  
GP2 Driver

Soyyo wrote:
For me it looks like he's trying to sell himself low, so when he get something done over the low expectation set by him, he would be praise as a great driver.
I don't discuss that he is one of the best in the grid, but the tactics that he is using this year (to undersell himself) could backfire. The human mind does strange things and unconciously he could really believe all the c**p about himself and his car.

I think he's just trying to tone down the huge expectations many people have, especially the ones who haven't followed F1 for very long and who can't understand why he's not winning anymore, the ones who don't understand that not even Senna (insert name of your fav driver) can win in a Minardi.

For himself, so far he's doing the only right thing (the same thing MS had to do in 2005, for example) - he's trying to squeeze more out of the junk he's driving than it can actually give and never give up.

And he doesn't actually say he needs to learn HOW TO drive in midfield, (but I know other drivers who should benefit from a lesson, no names mentioned... :cheezy: ) but to learn FROM it. And that's a different thing.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 13:39  
F1 Champion

Just drive as fast as you can Fernando :p

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 16:51  

Actually Alonso did have quite good car in 2003 and 2004 when Renault was rising. They just had too many reliability problems which is something you don't see happening to Renault nowadays. So this is his first time in years when he's really driving a bad car.

Of course he learns from this. In the midfield he has to push for all he's worth because you need to squeeze every tenth of the second you can. When you're driving in the front you don't always necessarily have to push to the maximum.

It's difficult to compare this situation with Kimi's McLaren years as his car, however bad it was, was still a podium contender. McLaren's problems then was the reliability and Kimi got used to rushing from the mid pack to the very front, especially in 2005. But it was only starting from the midfield, Alonso has to fight his whole race there at the moment.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 20:51  
GP2 Driver

alonso is as good as his car... if the car is c**p then he is c**p... good car + him driving good... so he needs to learn how to maximize the best out of the worst
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008, 10:51  
car driver

they are looking quick so far this weekend, much improved.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008, 12:51  
Kart Champion

yea they are improving mainly because of the combination new aero part + fans screaming there heads off whenever Alonso passes ;)

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008, 13:03  

...not anymore he doesn't........