Alonso to Ferrari in 2011? (see P.16)

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Alonso to Ferrari or Honda or BMW ???

Post by TwistedArmco » 11 Jul 2008, 20:45

Well given that Santander jumped on McLaren to coincide with Alonso going there, I take hope in this 2010 rumour (as a Nando fan)..
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 11 Jul 2008, 21:13

I think we shouldn't confuse Sponsors with drivers. Santander may have been caught in a bad situation when Alonso left Mclaren, but if they are title sponsors for British GP, i think they would have well established their business in UK ! As far as sponsors are concerned, they look for money & i don't think they place that much faith on drivers.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 11 Jul 2008, 22:30

sanredrose wrote:I think we shouldn't confuse Sponsors with drivers. Santander may have been caught in a bad situation when Alonso left Mclaren, but if they are title sponsors for British GP, i think they would have well established their business in UK ! As far as sponsors are concerned, they look for money & i don't think they place that much faith on drivers.

They have established business well in the UK, because of Hamilton and through a bank (Abbey) that they own, and marketing campaigns linking them both - every Abbey advert I've seen since the start of 2007 has had "part of Santander" in it at some point.. So if that is so successful, why give it up, unless you see a better business proposition at Ferrari?

Granted, Santander (with research) run a successful Italian outlet known as Santander Consumer, but still, why suddenly jump to Italy/Ferrari. I think the real proof will be if Banesto and Mutua Madrilena and their ilk jump to Ferrari too.

EDIT: In other words, stop clouding my blind hope that Alonso will get a decent drive!! :pray: (Just kidding, say what you want.. :wave: )

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 12 Jul 2008, 02:28

TwistedArmco wrote:
sanredrose wrote:I think we shouldn't confuse Sponsors with drivers. Santander may have been caught in a bad situation when Alonso left Mclaren, but if they are title sponsors for British GP, i think they would have well established their business in UK ! As far as sponsors are concerned, they look for money & i don't think they place that much faith on drivers.

They have established business well in the UK, because of Hamilton and through a bank (Abbey) that they own, and marketing campaigns linking them both - every Abbey advert I've seen since the start of 2007 has had "part of Santander" in it at some point.. So if that is so successful, why give it up, unless you see a better business proposition at Ferrari?

Granted, Santander (with research) run a successful Italian outlet known as Santander Consumer, but still, why suddenly jump to Italy/Ferrari. I think the real proof will be if Banesto and Mutua Madrilena and their ilk jump to Ferrari too.

EDIT: In other words, stop clouding my blind hope that Alonso will get a decent drive!! :pray: (Just kidding, say what you want.. :wave: )

Fair enough .. But drivers like Alonso can be funded by any bank. I don't think it would just be Santander trying to move into that hot seat ! But sponsorship is very differs with companies i believe. I used to see AT&T sponsor Mclaren in 2005 & 06. They left Mclaren in 2007 to join Williams ! I never understood why they decided to do that !!

Alonso to Ferrari might be possible. But trying to bring out a possibility of such a move by highlighting sponsor switching teams seems a little weak reason to me !

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 12 Jul 2008, 18:52

TwistedArmco wrote:

Don't worry, of course he'll get a decent drive sooner or later. @Beer

For Santander, I don't think it's the Italian market that is interesting for them, but rather the worldwide well-known name "Ferrari". Santander is the ninth biggest bank in the world, and how many not F1 interested worldwide do you figure have heard of McLaren? Not many. The name Ferrari on the other hand everybody will know immediately... :p That said, Santander came to F1 with Alonso, so it makes sense they still are interested in having him as a driver. My bet is that Alonso will be dressed in red in 2010. :cheezy:

Mutua Madrileña OTOH goes where Alonso goes, so they'll hardly make any move until he does.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 12 Jul 2008, 19:19

Suntrek wrote: My bet is that Alonso will be dressed in red in 2010. :cheezy:

Mutua Madrileña OTOH goes where Alonso goes, so they'll hardly make any move until he does.

I do hope you're right.

My preffered order would be: 2009:Renault/BMW 2010>: Ferrari

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 12 Jul 2008, 20:34

If he moves to BMW, i think he will be signing a 2 year contract. I don't think BMW will take him for one year option.

Having said that if the teams resort to signing up drivers for 1 or 2 years then i think we can see a lot of new and young drivers jumping in and people near the age of 30 or 32 could very well run out of time for an F1 drive !

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 12 Jul 2008, 20:40

Well i think we can say it like

2009 - Renault
2010 - BMW or Ferrari

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 23 Jul 2008, 19:04

The Telegraph reports that Honda team bosses Ross Brawn and Nick Fry 'have made Alonso a name-your-price offer'.

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 71,00.html

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 23 Jul 2008, 21:12

PF1 will report anything.

Mind you, anything can be expected from a completely new set of Regs, so I really hope Nando doesn't go where the money goes.

honda06
car driver
car driver

Post by honda06 » 23 Jul 2008, 23:33

hope he goes honda n makes them competitive and wins the championship that way rather than jumping in a top car n expectin the championship that way

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 05 Aug 2008, 03:07

PF1 has reported again with Honda leading the drivers bid for Alonso .. A one year stop before heading for Ferrari .. let's see whether this can revive the team which has been trying for quite sometime to reach the top 3 !!

ScuderiaFan
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ScuderiaFan » 05 Aug 2008, 09:55

2009 : he's not going to join ferrari
2010 : may join ferrari after had a contrct with Santander Spanish Bank
Remember this one "A Formula 1 race without Ferrari cars is useless" ScuderiaFan

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 Aug 2008, 10:19

I think Renault has improvement significantly compare to start of the season so i don't see the point to join Honda for 2008 ..May be its to think ..next year everyone starts from scratch & Honda will have advantage with KERS & of course Mr.$$$$$$$.

I m keen to know how many Tifose would like him to join Ferrari :huh: Not many i guess :lol:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 Aug 2008, 03:46

Telecinco interviewed Ross sunday before the race, and asked him if they would like Fernando at Honda. Ross´reply was something on the lines of "it would be a dream to have Fernando at Honda, but for now it´s just a dream." So I think they definitely wouldn´t say no to him.