Ron Dennis Sacked as Head of Mclaren

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Ron Dennis Sacked as Head of Mclaren

Post by iceman1 » 27 Feb 2008, 14:59

Spanish newspaper Marca is reporting that Ron has been given the boot, and they expect an official announcement soon confirming this

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 5421.shtml

AzShadow

Re: Ron Dennis Sacked as Head of Mclaren

Post by AzShadow » 27 Feb 2008, 17:14

Very convenient from a Spanish newspaper to report that. :roll::

Anyway, I have my doubts since Dennis still owns like 15% of McLaren and I don't think that the rest of the shareholders have anything against him so he's pretty much his own boss.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 28 Feb 2008, 14:59

metalhead188
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by metalhead188 » 28 Feb 2008, 20:09

well lets see....leaves Mclaren to become team boss of prodrive.... the rumor was talked about last year... maybe this is the plan

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Mar 2008, 20:34

ManipeF1
Spokespeople for both McLaren and engine partner Mercedes-Benz have denied reports that team boss Ron Dennis has been fired. A report in the Spanish press this week said Martin Whitmarsh was set to take over the British veteran's nearly three-decade reign because Mercedes, with a 40 per cent team stake, was angered about Dennis' handling of the spying scandal.

“The reports are pure speculation,” a Mercedes spokesman is quoted as saying by the German broadcaster RTL. “The fact is, the well-known status-quo remains, and this means an unchanged management team,” he added.

A McLaren spokesperson replied similarly, while F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone also suggested that the rumours of Dennis 'quitting' or being 'fired' are wide of the mark. “He's not an employee,” Bernie told the Mirror. “He's a shareholder and he had internal support from other shareholders.”

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 02 Mar 2008, 13:41

McLaren to confirm Dennis exit
British 'paper claim announcement imminent
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080302124918.shtml wrote:An official announcement that Ron Dennis is stepping down as boss of the Formula One team McLaren-Mercedes will be made in the middle of this week, an authoritative British newspaper claims.

Citing 'sources', the Sunday Times - which last week received a private briefing from the 60-year-old Briton rejecting rumours that he is being pushed out of the role - now reports that Dennis 'is determined to achieve a better balance between his family life, other McLaren businesses and the Grand Prix team.'

The report floated the possibility that current deputy Martin Whitmarsh will take control of the team 'a few races into the season.'

Sir Frank Williams, one of Dennis' contemporaries and traditionally an ally, observed to the Daily Mail: "Ron seems to have been submerged, sadly."
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 02 Mar 2008, 15:39

Mar.2 (GMM) An official announcement that Ron Dennis is stepping down as boss of the formula one team McLaren-Mercedes will be made in the middle of this week, an authoritative British newspaper claims.

Citing 'sources', the Sunday Times - which last week received a private briefing from the 60-year-old Briton rejecting rumours that he is being pushed out of the role - now reports that Dennis "is determined to achieve a better balance between his family life, other McLaren businesses and the grand prix team".

The report floated the possibility that current deputy Martin Whitmarsh will take control of the team "a few races into the season".

Sir Frank Williams, one of Dennis' contemporaries and traditionally an ally, observed to the Daily Mail: "Ron seems to have been submerged, sadly."

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 02 Mar 2008, 17:16

If Dennis steps out, it will be his own decision, not others forcing him out as he can't be fired.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 02 Mar 2008, 17:40

i'll miss that bald dude.... :cheezy: :nosweat:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 04 Mar 2008, 18:58

Dennis ready to step aside

Ron Dennis is likely to hand over the role of McLaren team principal to F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh before the end of this month, autosport.com has learned, but has not yet decided exactly when he will do so.

There has been mounting speculation about Dennis' future in recent weeks, with the 60-year-old believed to be increasingly keen to focus more on family matters and other aspects of the McLaren Group business than just the F1 team.

Dennis is also understood to believe that his departure as team principal will help relieve tension remaining at the team in the wake of last year's spy scandal, which left the team stripped of their constructors' championship points and fined $100 million (USD).

Sources have made it clear, however, that although Dennis is planning to change his role within McLaren, he has not yet settled on exactly when that will be.

It could be within a matter of days, or may not happen until after the season, which kicks off in Melbourne on March 16, has begun. However, a decision on the exact handover is expected to take place later this month.

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 04 Mar 2008, 19:02

damn, ron dennis is a legend, will be sad to see him leave on such a low after the spy scandal, he deserves a much better sending off :sad:

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 07 Mar 2008, 22:11

Formula1.net wrote:Mercedes motor sport boss Norbert Haug has said that team boss Ron Dennis has their full support. His comments come after many rumours about Dennis’ future, with increasing speculation that the 60 year old Brit will not be continuing as head of McLaren for much longer. Some rumours have gone as far as to suggest that Mercedes, who own 40% of the F1 team, are pressuring McLaren to replace Dennis.

However Haug has insisted that Mercedes are happy with Dennis and are happy for him to continue in his current role. “I am now in my 14th year of working with Ron and during this time, only one other team has been more successful than us,” Haug said in an interview with Bild magazine.

“As team boss, Ron has played an immense part in achieving that success – any negative statements appearing in the media are mere speculation and originate outside the company. We stand by Ron and are continuing to work with the same management structure.”

There have also been rumours in the press lately about Mercedes buying a larger stake in the McLaren F1 team.

“Options for the future development of the company are under discussion all the time but it is clear that we do not need to own more than 50% of the shares in order to ensure that we are listened to as much as we want to be,” Haug explained.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 07 Mar 2008, 22:51

Despite the spy scandal, Dennis has been a great figure for McClaren over the last few years

mattinvincible
car driver
car driver

Post by mattinvincible » 08 Mar 2008, 06:35

it'll never happen

premier
kart driver
kart driver

Post by premier » 11 Mar 2008, 08:36

How a legend fades away.... in Modena jail, 3 years all inclusive executive room, Italian cuisine and Italian papers ....