It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 02:32

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2005 Formula 1 Season
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2008, 23:42  
F1 Driver

I wonder how 2005 rule changes affected the performance of Ferrari in a way to prevent the prancing horse "again" dominating the season? I couldn't figure out how such a bizarre lack of performace had it been for Ferrari in 2005, if we consider the team dominated all races for just one year ago!

Tyre rule?
Engine rule?

What was it and why?

Post subject: Re: 2005 Formula 1 Season
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 07:46  

Hmm, I don't remember all of it anymore, but I think that the tyre rule was the biggest reason for Ferrari's downfall back then. Bridgestone just couldn't make a proper tyre and thus all Bridgestone teams suffered.

As for the engine rule, was it 2005 when they introduced the rule that engines had to last two GPs? I don't think that Ferrari really have any reliability problems at that point. So I think it was mainly the tyres and maybe Ferrari was too overconfident and took it too easy after so many successful years. Renault did well in 2006 too so you can't put all of the blame to tyres, though, they were just better. :)

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 09:56  
F1 Driver

AzShadow wrote:
Hmm, I don't remember all of it anymore, but I think that the tyre rule was the biggest reason for Ferrari's downfall back then. Bridgestone just couldn't make a proper tyre and thus all Bridgestone teams suffered.

Tyre change was such that teams were to use just one set of tyres during both qualification and race, lasting at least 300 km. So, did the rule-setter know that Ferrari would fail with one set of tyre due to the fact that the only team was Ferrari which used Bridgestone (not mention Jaguar)? This rule was set just to prevent Ferrari domination, as fas as I remember.

AzShadow wrote:
As for the engine rule, was it 2005 when they introduced the rule that engines had to last two GPs?

Yes, that's correct but I think the main issue was tyres but still I can't figure out how Ferrari couldn't cope with it.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 10:27  
F1 Legend

Ferrari have admitted that their lack of performance in 2005 has been the result of chassis deficiencies as well as problems with their Bridgestone tyres.

Although the team have previously pointed their finger solely at their tyre supplier for the grip problems that have hindered the speed of the F2005.

I think that Bridgestone cant benumb with new tyre rules
Ferrari has got a lot of problem beetween hard or soft slicks. The cars is runing without aero grips
Tyres effects grip or tyres has aten by Ferrari.

FIA and Bernie wasnt gladly from the F1 popularity in the past 2-3 season.
Many people was thinking that Ferrari has felt F1 popularity around the World. Maybe they just want to rise popularity again with new rules and stop ferrari success.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 11:07  
F1 Driver

iceman1 wrote:
Ferrari have admitted that their lack of performance in 2005 has been the result of chassis deficiencies as well as problems with their Bridgestone tyres.
[...]
FIA and Bernie wasnt gladly from the F1 popularity in the past 2-3 season.
Many people was thinking that Ferrari has felt F1 popularity around the World. Maybe they just want to rise popularity again with new rules and stop ferrari success.

Yeah, thanks. I think they got what they want. Anyway, Ferrari should have given an answer to this. They really failed that.

Whatever, the more contendor the more enthusiasm

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 12:37  
Co-Admin

Bump!!! surprise to see this thread :nosweat:

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 23:40  
F1 Driver

zack wrote:
Bump!!! surprise to see this thread :nosweat:

Well, you know it's off-season. I've been watching reviews of old seasons and 2005 was really a pain in the neck for me (just like 2006 Japanese Grand Prix where Schumacher's engine was blown). I would like to know what happened in 2005 'casue it was quite strange wasn't it?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2008, 19:24  
Co-Admin

Strange ..not really ..Everything that Arises has Fall ...Williams ...AMD ...US Economy :lol:
I agree with above stated reasons.
But certainly that tough season me ... walking thru all sh*t ... msc lost prime ..age ..ferrari bernie fixing n bla bla!!!

xyneid wrote:
Well, you know it's off-season. I've been watching reviews of old seasons and 2005 was really a pain in the neck for me (just like 2006 Japanese Grand Prix where Schumacher's engine was blown). I would like to know what happened in 2005 'casue it was quite strange wasn't it?

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2008, 15:29  
GP2 Driver

Yeah, i agree that the main thing for ferrari's downfall in '05 was due to the tyres.
But teams can also have variations in form from year to year and that was quite a casual occurence in F1 (just look at the McLaren of those years).

I guess that was was surprising for most people was that it came after such a dominating season that no one ever saw it coming. Not even themselves. So they must have fallen asleep on their laurels a bit and Renault and Mac did a better job than them.

But I didn't mind that one bit, I absolutely loved that season !yahoo: :wink:
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2008, 18:50  
GP2 Driver

2005 was a great season. Even though Kimi didn't win the championship, he really showed his potential. As well, it was nice to see other drivers fight for the championship instead of Schumacher...

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 19:36  
car driver

05 was a great season. A bit gutting that Kimi didn't win the championship though :( The McLaren's car was awesome, unfortunatly though it just couldn't finish a race. Compare that to now and the McLaren's engines could run forever if it wanted to just goes to show how quickly things can change :cheezy:
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 12:38  
car driver

Was it 2005 when only 6 Bridgestones runner raced in Indy? One of the weirdest race ever in F1 history. :blink:
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 17:43  
F1 Routinier

well, mclaren didn't do well in the first few races.....that can also be the deciding factor as to why they didn't win the championship and why renault did. :wave: :cheezy:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 18:24  
F1 Driver

After the first "boring" season of 2002, Ferrari could manage to adapt the new rules that were set up before 2003 in order to stop them a bit and make the races a little bit joyful. But after the second "boring" season of 2004 in which Ferrari again dominated all races, Red Car, at this time, couldn't be able to cope with the new rule changes that were also aimed to hold Ferrari's and Schumi's charge. If it weren't the Michelin thing in USA, Ferrari couldn't have won a GP in that season. What a terrible outcome would it be!

I think this season was such a special season in that it includes both the most astounding race namely Suzuka 05 and the most awful race namely Indianapolis 05.