Alonso/McLaren split confirmed

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
lmcsp
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Alonso/McLaren split confirmed

Post by lmcsp » 02 Nov 2007, 13:02

Double world champion Fernando Alonso has agreed to split with the McLaren-Mercedes team by mutual consent.
In a widely expected move, the 26-year-old Spaniard has agreed terms to terminate his agreement with the Woking squad after just one season of his contract.
Alonso made no secret of the fact at the start of the season that McLaren was the team he had always wanted to race for – but after a turbulent year admits things didn't pan out as he had hoped.
“Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out," said Alonso in a team statement.
"I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team.
"Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home.
"I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win.
"Today’s decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileña and all the other team partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future.”
Despite these words, Alonso's bitter relationship since joining from Renault has been well publicised.
Alonso's relationship with team principal Ron Dennis is believed to have broken down after the Spaniard publicly criticised McLaren for not providing him with the support he felt he deserved as a double world champion.
This was not helped by the unexpected pace of his rookie team-mate Lewis Hamilton, who settled into the team faster and more successfully than Alonso did.
The situation became irretrievable when Alonso threatened to reveal evidence of the team's involvement in the 'Spygate' scandal during a heated row in Hungary.
This not only angered the team's management, but the entire team, to the point where Alonso cast a lonely figure during the last few races of the season.
Dennis later revealed in a World Motor Sport Council hearing that he was no longer on speaking terms with his driver.
There was a further twist at the title-deciding round in Brazil when, following comments made by the Alonso regarding favouritism and a request from the Spanish motorsport authority, the FIA to took the unprecedented step of placing a scrutineer in the team for the title-deciding Brazilian Grand Prix.
In its statement announcing Alonso's departure, McLaren admitted the relationship had not evolved in the way it had hoped and that both parties had agreed it was better to part ways.
“Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes want to wish Fernando all the best for the future," read the statement.
"He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward.
"We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge.”
Alonso's destination remains undisclosed, though he has been linked to a return to Renault, a move to Red Bull Racing and has received big money offers from Toyota and Honda.
Renault's Heikki Kovalainen and Williams' Nico Rosberg are both believed to be in the frame to replace Alonso.
source ITV

mclarenmatt
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Alonso/McLaren split confirmed

Post by mclarenmatt » 02 Nov 2007, 14:03

Mclaren has lost a good driver in Alonso and Alonso has lost a good team in Mclaren! Shame thing's didn't work out :( But now we might get Rosberg :D

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 02 Nov 2007, 15:27

Silly season!!!! !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo:

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 02 Nov 2007, 15:36

McLaren confirm Alonso's exit
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63742

Alonso 'free to sign for any team' + speculation
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63748

Pondering Alonso-McLaren split (speculation)
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 5842.shtml

Spanish sponsors seem set to stay at McLaren
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 4419.shtml

lmcsp
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lmcsp » 02 Nov 2007, 15:39

Sorry, I just C+P'd the story when I saw it ..

However, my opinion is, obviously, there was too much internal friction - and after that little sideshow this year, I think that any driver would be an idiot to jump at Alonsos seat .. as they will always, obviously, favor ham ..

Lets look at replacing him:
Heikki - Will he want to play second fiddle - I think not, unless he backs himself that much to beat ham ..
Nico - same as above

Ahh, it'll most probably end up being Pedro, but I think we'll see a huge decline in maccas performance next, thats for certain!

I also wouldn't be surprised if Alonso blows the whistle on the whole spy thing ..

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 02 Nov 2007, 15:45

finally... :@:2 ...relief for both the sides!
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 02 Nov 2007, 16:06

I think he'd be better going to Renault as he knows the team and knows he'll get the preferential treatment he wants ,I predict a move to Renault, with Heikki Kovalainen moving in the other direction

McLaren-F1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by McLaren-F1 » 02 Nov 2007, 16:10

i didn't want this but whatever thanks for everything Alonso i hope you'll be successful in your carreer..Who will sit 2nd sit then??i think it'll be Rosberg or Kovalainen which one is better for MAcca??Rosberg is Finn and German, as you know Mercedes is German also McLaren loves Finn drivers like Kovalainen but Rosberg is looking the best choice for the Macca ''hmm''
4ever McLaren...

martinez
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by martinez » 02 Nov 2007, 16:15

I was hoping for nick or kubica to fill in for macca, but there contracts are set for BMW :<>: anyway il bet they just put pedro in for next year, high chance alonso will be at renault next year
Martinez 10

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 02 Nov 2007, 19:40

i reckon alonso will go to rbr and dc to mclaren !cool!!!!

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 02 Nov 2007, 20:10

I think he will go back to Renault, and maybe Kovi will go to Macca

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 02 Nov 2007, 20:49

donald29 wrote:i reckon alonso will go to rbr and dc to mclaren !cool!!!!

:( :( :( :( :( dc?!?!? back at macca? !grin! !grin! !grin! !grin! i think that's cool but i doubt it......but what the heck! who knows? it might just happen !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo:

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 02 Nov 2007, 20:52

martinez wrote:I was hoping for nick or kubica to fill in for macca, but there contracts are set for BMW :<>: anyway il bet they just put pedro in for next year, high chance alonso will be at renault next year

oh yeah....good ol' pedro, but i think there's only a slim chance he'd get the race seat. he had the chance in 2005 but he really didn't perform as expected (?) ''hmm''

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 02 Nov 2007, 21:01

I think that Alonso will go back to Renult, easy move and knows the team, but they havn't been as good as before when Alsonso was there.

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 02 Nov 2007, 21:49

A very expected answer.

It would have been very difficult season (another one) should Alonso stayed at Mc Laren. Both sides were cold towards eachother.