FIA rules, cars and designs

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Manny6
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

FIA rules, cars and designs

Post by Manny6 » 27 Mar 2008, 23:13

It has come to my attention because of the new FIA rules teams are really stepping out the box to get every 0.000 of a second they can get from the way they design their cars aerodynamically which in my view of things is making the bueaty of the cars fall back, for example what the hell is that new redbull fin on the their cars and I really hate the wheel covers what happened to the nice rims on the F1 cars are our days looking more dreadful in terms of good looking cars in F1

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: FIA rules, cars and designs

Post by iceman1 » 28 Mar 2008, 13:20

F1 is going green.Will it be a good thing or not remains to be seen. Good for the environment yes
All in all, i think they are trying to make F1 more interesting, cost-saving, environmentally friendly and also safe, all at the same time.

mr_guy99493
car driver
car driver

Post by mr_guy99493 » 01 Sep 2008, 09:01

Im not really a fan of the new sharkfins on the cars, but i still think that the aero changes are good.
I often tell people that i think that F1 cars are prettier than most girls i know.
Aiming for perfection by any means necessary is what makes F1 so interesting to me, (im an engineer)
We have V8 racing in Aus, and the basic idea is big car, big engine, wheels, driver. I like the fact that if an F1 hits a wall, it doesnt keep driving, because all unneccessary weight is gone.
Im rambling now i think

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 01 Sep 2008, 09:56

mr_guy99493 wrote:Aiming for perfection by any means necessary
thats the true beauty of F1

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 01 Sep 2008, 20:48

coup wrote:
mr_guy99493 wrote:Aiming for perfection by any means necessary
thats the true beauty of F1

I agree with you, but nevertheless the current cars are the ugliest in F1 history. All those winglets, fins, flaps, horns and boards really kill the visual appearance of the cars. In my oppinion, the cars from the early 90s till 2000 were the most beautiful in F1 history.

MrPonx
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by MrPonx » 02 Sep 2008, 05:28

When you get rich people involved you can't go green... and F1 will never do so, it's just an excuse to slow down the big guns and a desperate attempt to make F1 more competitive...

in my humble opinion I think it's easy to save the sport

Given that next year's aero rules are applied, which we all hope is a plus

- unfreeze the engines
- more than one tyre supplier
- stop the mandatory use of both tyre compounds
- change the points system, where any car that finishes the race should be rewarded at least for the team not necessarily for the driver. as for now if you finish 9th or 20th its the same!! and if you finish 9th or don't finish at all its the same!!!!!

i'm no tech guy, but this is my take on F1's rules, sorry if i said any stupid stuff :)

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 02 Sep 2008, 13:17

- unfreeze the engines
- I would like that too, but it´s not gonna happen

- more than one tyre supplier
- We had that with Michelin vs Bridgestone and it didn´t work. One supplier always had the upper hand and the teams supplied by the other suffered a lot. It didn´t really improve competetiveness imao.

- stop the mandatory use of both tyre compounds
- What´s wrong with it? You think there would be more action, if everyone would use one compound throughout the race?

- change the points system
- I absolutely agree with that. I hate the current points system.
These are my 3 proposals:
- Go back to the pre 2003 system 10-6-4-3-2-1
- more reward for winning something like 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1
- Use something close to the Indycar system 50 points for a win, 40 for a second place down to 10 th position or 12th.

Living Legend
car driver
car driver

Post by Living Legend » 02 Sep 2008, 21:43

iceman1 wrote:F1 is going green.Will it be a good thing or not remains to be seen. Good for the environment yes
All in all
I read somewhere that a Boeing 747 consumes more fuel in a trip across the atlantic than an F1 car the whole season !

As for cars becoming ugly, i think in the late 90's F1 cars were more beautiful but still as mr guy said current cars are prittier than many girls :D

Totally agree about changing the points system back to pre 2003. In football, 3 points for a win instead of two to encourge attacking & more entertaining football. Whats happening now is more drivers settling for 2nd instead of giving out a fight for 1st, the "live to fight another day" attitude is becoming more common nowadays.

MrPonx
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by MrPonx » 03 Sep 2008, 05:55

- What´s wrong with it? You think there would be more action, if everyone would use one compound throughout the race?
It effectively eliminated the one-stop strategy, if you're forced to use the softer set of the tyres

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 03 Sep 2008, 14:10

Next year the aerodynamics rules should make for a "cleaner" looking car. I personally find teh shark fins on the Renault, Torro, Ferrari absolutely horrendous followed closely by the disgustingly large rear wing vertical plates which are pushed all the way back into the engine.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 03 Sep 2008, 20:04

mr_guy99493 wrote:Im not really a fan of the new sharkfins on the cars, but i still think that the aero changes are good.
I often tell people that i think that F1 cars are prettier than most girls i know.
Aiming for perfection by any means necessary is what makes F1 so interesting to me, (im an engineer)
We have V8 racing in Aus, and the basic idea is big car, big engine, wheels, driver. I like the fact that if an F1 hits a wall, it doesnt keep driving, because all unneccessary weight is gone.
Im rambling now i think
That can't get you many girlfriends.. :p

No pretty much most girls I know are prettier than the current generation of F1 cars. I reckon 1982, 1990 and 1998/1999 (first of the thin cars) were the best years for cars. Hmm, I still take girls though. My libido doesn't quite cover cars.. :)

I think car design is a tricky one. I would personally love to see wider cars, with not a great deal of aero, no fins, no bargeboards, and no massive front wings. But that leaves no areas of individualism and development left, which is the sacrifice. I don't want every car to look the same. I think maybe a little bit of freedom with the front wing would be cool. On the other hand, I don't see why more hasn't been altered with the diffuser in 2009 to improve airflow.

I am also an advocate of KERS, which I suppose is the point of the lack of aero development - the development and therefore expense is meant to go towards KERS, a "green" thing. But visually, what will that look like?

Two compounds is good. Althought they need to be more different to make for some action and better overtaking possibility between one, two and three stoppers. Tyre war isn't. Although it makes for variable results over a season, Blizzard, or whoever said the following is right in that one tyre really dominates a race. The only time a tyre war is exciting is in the wet/damp, where changable conditions make for different operating windows for different manufacturers (which is why the Hungarian and Chinese Grands Prix of 2006 were so good).

Points system. Hmm. Well I certianly think that 12-8-6etc isn't a good system. I think 50-40-35etc is ridiculous. 10-6-4-3-2-1 is the best solution, or (perhaps seven scorers isn't quite as neat as six) a compromise with 10-7-5-4-3-2-1. It means that the winner still gains a sizable advantage, and would lead to maybe just that little bit more action throughout the season.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 04 Sep 2008, 12:42

Ok it's a little bit of shabby photoshop work, but this is what I reckon next years cars will look like. Ok, that's not to say that they will look like a Mac MP4/15, but rather they will have wide front wings, smaller and thinner rear wings, wider wheels, no bargeboards, and not a great of winglets.

EDIT: also note the lower nose height.

God knows what KERS will look like.

tshekane
car driver
car driver

Post by tshekane » 04 Sep 2008, 14:08

I actually welcome the changes because they sometimes make the grid a bit more interesting. Look at the "no tyre change rule" of some few years ago and how it affected Ferrari. It's a pity they stopped it the following year, but I bet ferrari was not going to give up - they were actually going to develop something that definitely will have worked. The point being: It is also interesting to see how various team respond to an engineering challenge, that's why we have constructor's championship as well!

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 05 Sep 2008, 21:17

TwistedArmco wrote:Ok it's a little bit of shabby photoshop work, but this is what I reckon next years cars will look like. Ok, that's not to say that they will look like a Mac MP4/15, but rather they will have wide front wings, smaller and thinner rear wings, wider wheels, no bargeboards, and not a great of winglets.

Are you sure, that all those little aero parts will be banned and the cars will look that clean? I hope you´re right!
What about the front wings, will they go back to the late 90s early 2000s style? Or are they allowed to keep those 2 or even 3 wing levels?

And one last thing: Will the width of the cars go back to 2 metres? I´m asking this, because the Premiere commentator in Germany said a couple of times in the last races, that the aerodynamics will be modified, slicks will be reintroduced and the cars will be 2 metres again. I´m not sure about that

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 07 Sep 2008, 11:46

blizzard wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:Ok it's a little bit of shabby photoshop work, but this is what I reckon next years cars will look like. Ok, that's not to say that they will look like a Mac MP4/15, but rather they will have wide front wings, smaller and thinner rear wings, wider wheels, no bargeboards, and not a great of winglets.

Are you sure, that all those little aero parts will be banned and the cars will look that clean? I hope you´re right!
What about the front wings, will they go back to the late 90s early 2000s style? Or are they allowed to keep those 2 or even 3 wing levels?

And one last thing: Will the width of the cars go back to 2 metres? I´m asking this, because the Premiere commentator in Germany said a couple of times in the last races, that the aerodynamics will be modified, slicks will be reintroduced and the cars will be 2 metres again. I´m not sure about that
I don't know dimensions, but the cars will be wider, with (according to the rules) no winglets, lower nose, thinner, taller rear wings etc. My photoshopping is based on an Autosport picture I vaguely saw, on the 2009 cars.

For comparison, this is the original photo: