TC in 2008

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

TC in 2008

Post by iceman1 » 29 Oct 2007, 12:06

Mike Coughlan, Technical Director at OrangeArrows explains the significance of the return of traction control…
Traction control is going to make very little difference to lap times. It is during the race where it will come into its own as the cars will be easier to drive, the tyres will last longer and the drivers will make less mistakes. This will impact on overtaking, making it harder, as it is usually when the driver in front makes a mistake that you get past. The biggest benefit is that we now have a level playing field as there are no question marks over who has these systems and who doesn’t
Traction control not only helps you in the slow corners, but also in the faster bits as well. It doesn't only compensate when you break traction; it also comes in when the car begins to slide, because at that moment one rear wheel is travelling faster than the other. So it's a new discipline. Whereas before, I would be taking a corner at, say, 120mph at one-half throttle, now I'm taking it at 125mph at full-throttle, knowing the car will correct itself if the back end steps out of line. That requires a lot of faith
and commitment in the electronics, and of course it takes a while to reach that state

Jenson Button is often mentioned as the driver who will gain the most from the change,The only person that may potentially have a problem is Kubica, as he literally stamps on the loud pedal

who's in your opinion will suffer the most drop in performance now that he can't depend on TC to save the slides and tyres?

AzShadow

Re: TC in 2008

Post by AzShadow » 29 Oct 2007, 13:49

I've heard that Alonso has a very aggressive driving style. In 2005 Monaco he ruined his tyres and our F1 pundits explained about his driving style back then. I haven't heard anything after that season so I might be wrong of the current state...

Massa and Kubica are also the ones that supposedly will suffer from the rule. Barrichello also relies heavily on the TC which is why many have been wondering why Honda decided to extend his contract. Anyways, everyone who's been driving F1 for some time will have to get used to driving without TC again whereas the ones who have been recently driving in GP2 should do better. I hope that we could finally see more interesting races now and more importantly, more overtaking!

pourisian
car driver
car driver

Post by pourisian » 30 Oct 2007, 07:05

I always thought that traction control didnt make that big a difference, sure it reduces the impact of mistakes to some extent but it must also use up extra fuel. If there are drivers who didnt use the traction much i think the biggest difference is that they may be used to the style so may save some fuel for late in stints. It will be hard to pass on the track anyway, as one will still need a huge aero performance difference to do it

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 30 Oct 2007, 17:39

as i've noticed on onboard shots from maccas with those various speed readings, etc... alonso uses the tc less than lewis. wanna bet for next year if the two will still be teammates that lewis will struggle a bit and fernando will blow him apart wide open......not unless uncle ron steps in !grin! $peace $peace $peace $peace

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 30 Oct 2007, 19:51

It will be good for Button, as he is one of the smoothest drivers in the field (Which makes him good in the wet) So having no traction control should affect him as much as some drivers

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by newtrex » 31 Oct 2007, 05:52

I want to know when was the last time they didnt use TC???

devereux
kart driver
kart driver

Post by devereux » 31 Oct 2007, 09:54

newtrex wrote:I want to know when was the last time they didnt use TC???
i think at the british gp in 2001 it was legal.

i think alonso and massa will struggle because they use alot more understeer than kimi and hamilton. if the back slides out they loose more time. when kimi and lewis drive if the back slips out it seems normal for them to correct it easily.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 31 Oct 2007, 12:37

look at the first session of the British GP where Hamilton managed to destroy a set of softs in a handful of laps trying to stay ahead of Kimi. Then look at Monza where Kimi, on a one stop (in the T car), ran half the race on a set of softs which were still working well when he pitted.

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by newtrex » 31 Oct 2007, 21:22

I guess Kimi will be good in 2008...

i dont know about alonso.. if he is not in McLaren than he might even not contest for world championship...

F1 Champion
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by F1 Champion » 31 Oct 2007, 21:34

newtrex wrote:I want to know when was the last time they didnt use TC???
It was banned after 1993 and returned again in 2001.

I think Kimi will be good without TC. One of the early problems for him this year was the use of too much TC...

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 02 Nov 2007, 19:54

I think people with a really aggressive driving style, like Kubica, will get the most trouble. But I think Raikkonen will do very good. But is it totally sure that McLaren's ECU will be used next year? I heard teams were having problems with the system...

BTW F1 Champion, how do you know that Kimi used too much TC in the 1st part of the year?

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 02 Nov 2007, 20:28

sejtur wrote:But is it totally sure that McLaren's ECU will be used next year? I heard teams were having problems with the system...
Yes, the McLaren's ECU will be used and the teams had problems with it which is why everyone's kind of worried.

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 02 Nov 2007, 21:17

Kimi and button will get the most out of it, Kubica will lose the most.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Nov 2007, 17:54

newtrex wrote:I guess Kimi will be good in 2008...

i dont know about alonso.. if he is not in McLaren than he might even not contest for world championship...
maybe the technical info or whatever info related to the car's performance from mclaren and ferrari (data from coughlan) would help to any team FA goes......just my opinion though. $peace !yahoo: !grin!

F1 Champion
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by F1 Champion » 09 Nov 2007, 21:42

sejtur wrote:BTW F1 Champion, how do you know that Kimi used too much TC in the 1st part of the year?
I read it on another F1 discussion board and I think it comes from F1 Racing (the magazine) in the first place..