Rain and setup differences

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
simple
car driver
car driver

Rain and setup differences

Post by simple » 27 Sep 2007, 13:10

With the upcoming japanese GP looking to be a rainy one, I have some questions about setup for rain. Since the cars are slowed down due to lack of mechanical grip, does that change the setup for the cars? Would it make sense for them to run much higher down force setups than they would in the dry? Does that mean that we might see some components from Monaco or other high down force tracks if it does turn out to be a wet race? Is that another gamble that cars can run, besides just starting out on different tyres and fuel loads?

Anyway, thanks in advance :).
^^--Raving Lunatic--^^

F1 Champion
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Re: Rain and setup differences

Post by F1 Champion » 27 Sep 2007, 14:12

Some normal rain setup changes are:
- More ride height
- Softer suspension
- More downforce
- More diff lock
- Less camber (I suppose)

There are surely more they can do but that is what I remember right now from wet weather running in my simracing career Yellow_Colorz_PDT_12

artem57
kart driver
kart driver

Post by artem57 » 28 Sep 2007, 06:00

Some normal rain setup changes are:
- More ride height
- Softer suspension
- More downforce
- More diff lock
- Less camber (I suppose)
I'll add:
- more fuel load
- higher pressure in tyres

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 30 Sep 2007, 14:33

Well as an engineer explained to me once, it comes down to downforce distribution & tire pressures.
All other things remain pretty much the same, because if you're not expecting a FULL 100% rain race you loose a lot more time in the dry if you went with a full wet setup.

But if you just wanna make a great rain setup you use the baseline dry one and adjust everything artem57 said, except i don't think they touch the chamber.

Also the cooling ducts for the brakes and engine/gearbox are reduced to keep them working on optimum temps.
Rain tires are basically much softer than dry tires so you have to raise the ride height because they have more "travel built into them" and after that they raise the tire pressure so that the groves open up allowing them to remove more water.