Where will be Alonso in 2008?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Where will Alonso be in 2008?

Renault
67%
Williams
9%
Red Bull
6%
Toyota
12%
Honda
6%
Another Team
No votes
Gardening Leave
No votes

Total votes: 33

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Where will be Alonso in 2008?

Post by maltafan » 03 Nov 2007, 15:44

He will be the talk of the winter.

He's a benefit to any team he is in.

domenico
car driver
car driver

Post by domenico » 06 Nov 2007, 07:56

It is not very clear at the moment where he could go. Although Renault has been strongly tipped as the likely destination, he may actually end up with the big dollars of Red Bull.

I think the main issue for Alonso is the package, he wants a winning car in the long term; but he believes he has a chance to get into a Ferrari in 2009 and this is what is driving his decision. Yes even with Massa's contract extension.

Alonso right now is looking for a team for which he can have a 1 year contract with, neither Renault or Red Bull will grant him this. Williams may seem like the only other option.

One thing is certain from my point of view; Alonso will only take a 1 year contract if he already has 2009 and beyond sorted out. If he takes a 1 year contract at any team then it means he will be at Ferrari in 2009. (something i as a Ferrari supporter am dead against).

What other team would either;
a) Be a guaranteed title challenger in 2009 and beyond
and
b) Not have a seat for him in 2008?

The only answer there is Ferrari, as both Red Bull and Renault have made it clear that they are willing to pay the dollars for Alonso on a longer then 1 year contract. If he saw either of them as long term prospects then he will sign up with one of them now.

BMW are grooming Kubica as a potential World Champion and dont want a destabilising effect such as Alonso in their team and there is also no need to talk about McLaren.

The only team i can see taking on Alonso for 1 year is in fact Williams. There is a seat available so they wont have to get rid of Rosberg, but the issue then becomes money. Williams can't afford Alonso on his current salary so they will either have to release Rosberg a year early to McLaren and have McLaren pay Alonso's salary or Alonso will take a massive pay cut for 2008.

If this happens then in 2009 Alonso will be Ferrari bound. I hope he takes the Red Bull option, he is not in my opinion a Ferrari driver, he does not respect a team only himself.

So to conclude i believe the destination and duration of Alonso's 2008 contract will determine whether he will be at Ferrari in 2009.

If it is a 1 year contract, he will be at Ferrari in 2009, Todt will retire at the latest, the end of 2009 and Brawn will slide back into Ferrari in 2008 in what will be a transition year for the upper management of Ferrari.

Todt has always stated that he will not have Alonso drive for Ferrari while he is in charge, i think Luca has other idea's.
Really Todt holds all the cards, or Luca if he is able to push Todt out. If Todt leaves then Brawn comes in and Red Bull don't have a chance of getting Alonso. Alonso will then sign a 1 year deal with Williams. If Todt stays on a super team of Brawn/Newey/Alonso will be formed at Red Bull.

Also Kimi does not seem like the kind of driver to want to stay around for 5 years in F1, i don't think he has the drive; Alonso does have this drive but has too many other faults that come with it, but he may be the best option available. As for Felipe, he is simply a pawn to be moved Ferrari see fit.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 06 Nov 2007, 08:27

domenico wrote: Also Kimi does not seem like the kind of driver to want to stay around for 5 years in F1, i don't think he has the drive; Alonso does have this drive but has too many other faults that come with it, but he may be the best option available. As for Felipe, he is simply a pawn to be moved Ferrari see fit.
Yes, but that's why I've been thinking that it's the 2010 when Alonso would move to Ferrari, not earlier. I think Ferrari are contended with their current drivers, but if Kimi leaves after 2009, they need a replacement and Alonso might be the only option. So I wouldn't expect anything in 2009 yet, only in 2010 at earliest.

domenico
car driver
car driver

Post by domenico » 06 Nov 2007, 09:05

Ferrari are content with their driver lineup, but it could be better. There is no denying that Alonso is better then Massa, and there is also no denying that Luca and Brawn want Alonso at Ferrari.

Signing Massa for 2010 was Todt's doing not Luca's and not Brawn. Todt is not involved in the contract of Alonso, but Luca and Brawn are. I know it sounds confusing but you have to remember that although Ferrari is one team there are separate vested interests at play, so it comes down to who ha the most power within the team.

If Brawn comes back to Ferrari in 2008 it is almost a guarantee that Alonso will be in red come the 2009 season, with Massa on his way to another team (probably Toyota) if Kimi decides to stay.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 06 Nov 2007, 10:05

domenico wrote:Ferrari are content with their driver lineup, but it could be better. There is no denying that Alonso is better then Massa, and there is also no denying that Luca and Brawn want Alonso at Ferrari.
[I simply agree to disagree with you :|]

Signing Massa for 2010 was Todt's doing not Luca's and not Brawn. Todt is not involved in the contract of Alonso, but Luca and Brawn are. I know it sounds confusing but you have to remember that although Ferrari is one team there are separate vested interests at play, so it comes down to who ha the most power within the team.
[not the facts]

If Brawn comes back to Ferrari in 2008 it is almost a guarantee that Alonso will be in red come the 2009 season, with Massa on his way to another team (probably Toyota) if Kimi decides to stay.
[Massa leaving/dismiss before 2010 seems all most imposible]
i don't see Alonso joining Red camp at least till kimi steps down ..IMO that will be in 2010+ and Alonso is not the only ONE!
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 06 Nov 2007, 16:01

domenico wrote: Signing Massa for 2010 was Todt's doing not Luca's and not Brawn. Todt is not involved in the contract of Alonso, but Luca and Brawn are. I know it sounds confusing but you have to remember that although Ferrari is one team there are separate vested interests at play, so it comes down to who ha the most power within the team.
That is a persistent rumor, but I don't believe in it, because if there really was some tension between Todt and Montezemolo, then Luca could just fire him. He's the boss, he decides. He wouldn't have promoted Todt either if he hated him. Montezemolo also said that he personally extended Massa's contract. He would have no reason to lie, because Todt does NOT command him, it's the other way around.

As for Brawn, I have no idea about his intentions or how much power he has.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 07 Nov 2007, 13:45

Mexican millionaire to join Alonso super-fund
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 5544.shtml

Alonso close to agreeing Renault return
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 4805.shtml
Britain's The Guardian, meanwhile, reports on Wednesday that if Alonso signs for Renault he will be partnered by Nelson Piquet Jr, with Heikki Kovalainen 'the most likely candidate' to fill Alonso's seat at McLaren.
So either Heikki is going to McLaren or he's out of F1 seat...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 07 Nov 2007, 17:01

it's probably going to be Alonso and Kovalainen at Renault

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 08 Nov 2007, 16:36

iceman1 wrote:it's probably going to be Alonso and Kovalainen at Renault
and Piquet, whereto?

He is guaranteed a seat for 2008.

I imagine FA and NP in Renault and Kova in Mclaren

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 19 Nov 2007, 17:17

Scuderia Toro Rosso’s team principal, Franz Tost has confirmed that Red Bull is in talks with Alonso, but the rumours that Alonso will take David Coulthard’s place at Red Bull Racing while Coulthard moves to Toro Rosso is definitely way off the mark.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 19 Nov 2007, 17:40

Briatore: 60 percent chance of Alonso deal
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64054

This sentence is interesting:
Renault will definitely have different drivers next year.
It means that Heikki will definitely switch teams as well even though he was allowed to test for Renault just recently.

Alonso will probably want to know what will happen with the Renault's spy case first, though.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 19 Nov 2007, 18:23

if a driver is Leaving a team then they will not let them test after the seasons end as they don't want information to go to that drivers new team, so why they let Kova Test last week??
Webber team leader at Renault,Alonso team leader at Red Bull !grin!

Lilellatho
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Lilellatho » 19 Nov 2007, 19:54

''hmm'' I still think that Kova to McLaren could happen. After all, he only tested in this year's car with the new ECU and without TC. I don't think Renault brought new parts to the test. But I could be wrong.

I feel kinda bad for Alonso though, he has quite limited choices. Wherever he goes, I hope he will have a chance to fight for the WC (and the only option to do that seems Renault).
I just don't want to see him become the new J. Villeneuve, cause he still has a lot more in him. And I also want a tight championship next year. !grin!

I don't think it will be long now until the announcement is made cause I assume he would want to test in Dec. Anyway, what is the deadline for teams to announce their line-up for next year?

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 19 Nov 2007, 21:30

maltafan wrote:
iceman1 wrote:it's probably going to be Alonso and Kovalainen at Renault
and Piquet, whereto?

He is guaranteed a seat for 2008.

I imagine FA and NP in Renault and Kova in Mclaren
I'm more convinced of my prediction now :D

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 20 Nov 2007, 17:35

Alonso-Renault talks in deadlock
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3630.shtml

Alonso set to decide future
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 1124.shtml

I personally have doubts about this so called Ferrari contract, but it looks like many believe in it anyway.