It is currently 27 Jun 2017, 10:27

All times are UTC

Post subject: Schumy the real iceman
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 11:19  
car driver

Talking to Professor Sid Watkins the other day about racing helmets and other motorsport stuff for the upcoming issue of the magazine.

Sid is one of the world's top brain surgeons, and the president of the FIA Institute for Motorsport Safety - he's the semi-young (he was born in 1928) bloke you used to see in the medical car, following the F1 cars around and occasionally running across gravel traps to sort out stricken cars.

He was the first on the scene at Ayrton Senna's accident and wrote a chapter of his book, 'Life on the Limit' about that experience.

I asked Sid to tell me a motorsport story from his work - a positive one - and he told me about Schuey.

"The calmest response I ever had at an accident was from Michael Schumacher, when he crashed at Silverstone in '99. I got to him really quickly after the accident - it was a first lap accident and my car was behind the pack. So I think it was about 86 seconds after the impact, I was there. Michael had taken his helmet off, and as he saw me running toward him he said 'it's alright Sid, it's only a broken leg.'

"Then we hauled him out of the car, I was putting splints on his broken leg and attaching that to his good leg, and he sort of sat up a bit and said, 'Sid, will you do two things for me?' I said yes.

"He said, 'One - ring my wife and tell her it's only a broken leg, and two - tell Jean Todt to test the brakes on Eddie Irvine's car, because it was a brake failure.' I mean, you can't get cooler than that."

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/013-schuey-the-ice-man/
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati 
 Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Schumy the real iceman
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 11:44  
Co-Admin

nice post !cool!!!!

certainly helps my schuminism :)

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 04:04  
kart driver

hes always got his brain switched on. i think kimi would have hooked all the marshalls and sid if he was the one in the accident.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2007, 23:06  
kart driver

Jotaspa wrote:
"He said, 'One - ring my wife and tell her it's only a broken leg, and two - tell Jean Todt to test the brakes on Eddie Irvine's car, because it was a brake failure.' I mean, you can't get cooler than that."

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/013-schuey-the-ice-man/

:!: This is the best answer for all those who blame him for being insidious and sneaking :!: