New F1 Circuits

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

New F1 Circuits

Post by Bowsey » 14 Jun 2007, 16:41

Code: Select all

India expects to host a round of the 2009 Formula 1 World Championship according to Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi.

The race is likely to take place at a unspecified venue in New Delhi, but remains subject to financial backing and final approval of the circuit.

"We have received a letter in this regard from Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of Formula One. The IOA will be the promoter and the first event will be held in 2009," said Kalmadi.

"Once we move ahead, a regular contract would be signed," he added.

"We are planning to hold the race around New Delhi and we are looking to identify suitable land for a track.".

India, should it gain the necessary approval, would be the fifth new F1 venue to be announced in the last year.

Street circuits in Valencia and Singapore will join the calendar in 2008, Abu Dhabi in 2009 and South Korea the year after.  
My thoughts are, that with all these new circuits are we going to loose all the classics that we love, Silverstone, Montreal ( even though last weekends race was the best in ages and ages), Imola. Or is it going to be a 20+ race championship??
Whats your thoughts?

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 14 Jun 2007, 17:16

i think magny cours is going next year... i hope its like 20 races then f1 can run all year round :)

i think with the rise of hamilton silverstone will be saved as the sales for tickets have rocketed up! i just hope the BRDC use the extra income wisely to impress bernie 8)

XiaoPro
kart driver
kart driver

Post by XiaoPro » 14 Jun 2007, 17:21

its a gd thing ! new circuit = new history

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 14 Jun 2007, 17:50

Why do places like India get Gp's at the expense of classic circuits like Spa or Imola?

F1~Michi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1~Michi » 14 Jun 2007, 17:55

Well, Imola isn't the best race track ever. Overtaking is too difficult, what Alonso and Schumacher proved 2005 and 2006, so I think it's good, that this year is no Imola-GP. Let's see how good the new Imola circuit is...
F1M's Motorsport Season 2010

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 14 Jun 2007, 17:58

F1~Michi wrote:Well, Imola isn't the best race track ever. Overtaking is too difficult, what Alonso and Schumacher proved 2005 and 2006, so I think it's good, that this year is no Imola-GP. Let's see how good the new Imola circuit is...
Yeah, Imola was a bad example!! But the fact Silverstone always seems to be at risk is not good. Like Chubbs said, hopefully Hamilton has saved it.

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 14 Jun 2007, 17:59

the trouble with overtaking is not te circuit its the cars. all the wings coming off the cars mean that they rely on aerodynamics so much that when they are follwing a car they just cant keep up with going round corners as fast as a car without the aero aids.

if the FIA want to improve overtaking they shouldnt be looking at changing classic races like in barcelona, they should make a limit on the amount of wings coming off the cars especially on the main body.

This way the cars will rely more on mechanical grip. okay it may slow the cars down in corners but it will definately increase the possibility of overtaking.

F1~Michi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1~Michi » 14 Jun 2007, 18:01

Yeah, that's another reason. But on other tracks, the cars can overtaking, too?!
There's a long straight missing in Imola, that's the key how to get a lot of overtakings. For example, in Canada we saw a lot of good passes, just because of that long straight.

I think, if Imola get's a long straight, we can se overtaking there, too.
F1M's Motorsport Season 2010

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 14 Jun 2007, 18:03

F1~Michi wrote:Yeah, that's another reason. But on other tracks, the cars can overtaking, too?!
There's a long straight missing in Imola, that's the key how to get a lot of overtakings. For example, in Canada we saw a lot of good passes, just because of that long straight.

canada also got a lot of overtaking due to the low aero, which futher backs up my earlier point ;) :D

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 14 Jun 2007, 18:32

Chubbs wrote:
F1~Michi wrote:Yeah, that's another reason. But on other tracks, the cars can overtaking, too?!

canada also got a lot of overtaking due to the low aero, which futher backs up my earlier point ;) :D
Also because of the old tarmac (low grip) and its always a good race there due to the fact there are no run off areas like the new circuits. I feel they provide too many get out of jail free cards when they make mistakes on the new circuits.

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 14 Jun 2007, 18:34

Bowsey wrote:
Chubbs wrote:

Also because of the old tarmac (low grip) and its always a good race there due to the fact there are no run off areas like the new circuits. I feel they provide too many get out of jail free cards when they make mistakes on the new circuits.
i also agree but they are there for safety so they wont change that!!

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 14 Jun 2007, 18:36

With Spa coming back and the new circuits appearing, Which circuits do you think will go, if any??

SpykerMF1
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by SpykerMF1 » 14 Jun 2007, 19:15

I don't think long straights are the key tbh China has a very long straight and that is another snoore fest. Like someone else pointed out, the tracks aren't the problem the cars are. Remove 75% of undercar aero and winglets and there will be plenty of overtaking on almost all circuits.

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 15 Jun 2007, 07:49

SpykerMF1 wrote:

I don't think long straights are the key tbh China has a very long straight and that is another snoore fest. Like someone else pointed out, the tracks aren't the problem the cars are. Remove 75% of undercar aero and winglets and there will be plenty of overtaking on almost all circuits.
That true, they just need to strip the cars back to basics in the aero front, make it easier to overtake and make the cars have less downforce so slippier for the drivers, more mistakes, therefore more overtaking.

What about a second British Grand Prix, for the 'Lewis Hamilton Effect'. Could be at Brands, I mean Spain will have two race's because of Alonso.......

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 15 Jun 2007, 10:01

i dont likenew circuis!

i prefere the history of the origionals, im disapointed enough that imola isnt there, and they ruined hockenheim too!

keep F1 traditional, othewise F1 will continue on itsdownhill journey!
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST