Alonso's Favouritism claims

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Does Mclaren Favour One of their drivers more

Yes - Alonso
13%
Yes - Lewis
50%
No
38%

Total votes: 16

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Alonso's Favouritism claims

Post by Bowsey » 13 Jun 2007, 10:49

Code: Select all

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has once again denied suggestions that his team favours one of its drivers, adding that Fernando Alonso's comments regarding his situation at McLaren have been blown out of proportion.

Alonso told Spanish radio following his team-mate Lewis Hamilton's maiden victory in Montreal, that he had yet to feel truly comfortable since joining McLaren and he was finding it hard having a British team-mate in a British team.

Dennis, who had to deny the championship leading team was favouring the double world champion following its dominant Monaco 1-2, says that the media has jumped on an innocent remark￾ by Alonso and that there is absolutely no truth in claims that McLaren is giving preference to one of its drivers.

It's completely understandable that the results of each Grand Prix are going to provide both the British and the Spanish media with an opportunity to hang on every word that the drivers say - and sometimes quotes are taken out of context which can put a completely different spin on an innocent remark,￾ Dennis told McLaren's official website.

The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team is made up by extremely passionate and competitive people and there is a healthy competition between the teams working on each car - this is inevitable and there is no issue with that.

However I can categorically state once again that both drivers have equal equipment, equal support and equal opportunity to win within the team and both Fernando and Lewis know and support this.￾

Alonso;s championship challenge took a knock in Canada, as he struggled to a seventh place finish while his rookie team-mate surged to a superbly composed win.

Dennis says that it is natural for Alonso to say that he is still settling in to his new team after just six races, adding that the relationship will continue to improve over time.

Fernando's comments when read carefully are correct; he hasn't been with the team long and the relationship can only continue to develop,￾ the McLaren boss added.

The team is not going to do anything to jeopardise this positive and growing partnership.￾
Alonso is just getting jealous of Lewis. He did not like it that the team celebrated more when Lewis won to when he won. But it was Lewis' first podium so ofcourse the team were going to make a big thing about it. I think that Alonso doesn't like it that Lewis is doing so well. he thought he'd come to Mclaren with the rookie (Lewis) and show him how its done, (but its the other way around)
Last edited by Bowsey on 14 Jun 2007, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 13 Jun 2007, 11:42

I don't think Alonso every really complained about Lewis... Its the same as what Fisico was going on about last year and the year before, and Rubens used to... Most teams will have a favourite driver whether it be because he's the same nationality of the car, or a longer driver, or their star driver... And sometimes fitting in is hard enough when you move, but even harder if half the pitt is the same nationality as the other driver...

The McLaren boys are going to favour Hamilton because most of them are British therefore deep down will want Hamilton to win, and I think the comments that Alonso made are similar to some that I heard in 2005... He found it hard to move from a team that are basically looking to him all the time, to a car that is focused even if its not professionally on one driver...

Ace
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Alonso's Favouritism claims

Post by Ace » 13 Jun 2007, 12:11

Bowsey wrote: Alonso is just getting jealous of Lewis. He did not like it that the team celebrated more when Lewis won to when he won. But it was Lewis' first podium so ofcourse the team were going to make a big thing about it. I think that Alonso doesn't like it that Lewis is doing so well. he thought he'd come to Mclaren with the rookie (Lewis) and show him how its done, (but its the other way around)
I agree with U.

From my point I see Alonso miserable because he didn't well in Canada. Tactics (he had fuel for one more lap) aren't excuse for his amateur drive in Canada.

In Monaco he said that he is number one driver. After qvalis in Canada he siad that he won't win WDC in Canada but in Brasil. Now he crys that he doesn't feel cormftable in McLaren and that he expected that will be something like that when they told him that rookie Lewis will be his team mate. Give me a brake.

Only pupose of what he said about McLaren " they like Lewis more then me" I see him wanting to push his spanish sponsors to push McLaren to give him more attention then to Lewis. Hopefully Ron had been clear about favouring one driver over another after Britsh attack in Monaco. He washed his hands because he don't want to to put himself and McLaren between British and Spansih fire. Drivers are now free to race and that's the best choice for F1, him, drivers and McLaren. If ALonso don't like equal status doors are open.

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 14 Jun 2007, 05:06

this isnt uncharacteristic of alonso unfortunantly, that is why i dont like him very much!

these are similar comments to those of last year, do you recall him saying how the team (renault) were only concerntrating on the constructors championship ratherthan giving fernando a fair chance in winning the drivers championship because he was leavng the tea next year... after the momentum swung in favour of michael schumacher in the championship.

and when a couple of decisions didnt go his way with the stewards, " i consider F1 no longer to be a sport"

its a shame, i would like him more if he concerntrated on driving!

if he wants to be in this hampionship battle he should take out his emotions on track and race quickly, stop allowing himself to be distracted and stop putting that added pressure on himself... making comments like that to the worlds media will onl increase the pressure because more people will know of his emotions...

whereas, if he never said anything, everything would be speculations and he could still play it coo!

his lost out mentally already...
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 14 Jun 2007, 15:07

That's the problem with "equal driver status".......well for me i'd really prefer a number 1 and number 2 driver, such as the case in Ferrari with Michael.

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 14 Jun 2007, 15:09

megasyxx wrote:That's the problem with "equal driver status".......well for me i'd really prefer a number 1 and number 2 driver, such as the case in Ferrari with Michael.
Well when it was Michael and Rubens, Michael was 1a and Rubens 1b, because the team said there was no number 2 driver

Flavio_F1
car driver
car driver

Post by Flavio_F1 » 14 Jun 2007, 15:23

I think Alonso complains a lot....and ultimatelly is driving less..

Ace
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Ace » 14 Jun 2007, 15:43

Bowsey wrote: Well when it was Michael and Rubens, Michael was 1a and Rubens 1b, because the team said there was no number 2 driver
Mine hardcore Ferrari "friend" is not stop talking that Ferrari was clear about 1-2 tactics... And I belive him about that, they have to admit 1-2 tactics after Austria, otherwise they would represent themselfs like a hypocrite team to the world. But today when MS have gone situation is different.
WDC wrote:this isnt uncharacteristic of alonso unfortunantly, that is why i dont like him very much!
Well we have same reasons why we don't like him. Yellow_Colorz_PDT_08

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 14 Jun 2007, 16:43

Alonso should just keep quiet at the moment. Ultimately he decides his fate in F1 and with McLaren. McLaren is still the best team for Alonso to be at right now to give him a good chance at winning the championship. As long as technically Alonso's car is equal in preparation and relative performance he shouldn't have anything stopping him except what's going on between his own two ears. There is a lot of racing left this season to get done and may the best man win. I sympathize with Alonso a little, but a true talent and professional rises above these psychological issues and focuses on the road ahead....literally...!

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 14 Jun 2007, 17:49

When things don't go Alonso's way he complains/sulks. Remember Spain when he overcooked it in the first corner? The look on his face after the race? (sulking :( ) He's like a small child!

ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 14 Jun 2007, 19:29

donald29 wrote:When things don't go Alonso's way he complains/sulks. Remember Spain when he overcooked it in the first corner? The look on his face after the race? (sulking :( ) He's like a small child!

:(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i think fernando tends to linger on the past too much sometimes...remember when he said things about the team last year then he ended up winning the title...he's still with a great chance to win the title this year, he just has to focus, he doesn't need to say these sort of things...although i think the media do exaggerate and manipulate what people say especially what fernando says because they want a fiery hammy vs fernando rivaly

:(
Last edited by ntr on 14 Jun 2007, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.
mm tofu

julie
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by julie » 14 Jun 2007, 19:36

Its a hard one to decide, is he just jealous cause Lewis won the Canadian gp or does he really think there is favouritism. I guess only time will tell as the season goes on. But Ron does have a soft spot for Lewis if its more than that i'm not sure
ImageImage

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 14 Jun 2007, 20:16

Dark_Fisico wrote:I don't think Alonso every really complained about Lewis... Its the same as what Fisico was going on about last year and the year before, and Rubens used to... Most teams will have a favourite driver whether it be because he's the same nationality of the car, or a longer driver, or their star driver... And sometimes fitting in is hard enough when you move, but even harder if half the pitt is the same nationality as the other driver...

The McLaren boys are going to favour Hamilton because most of them are British therefore deep down will want Hamilton to win, and I think the comments that Alonso made are similar to some that I heard in 2005... He found it hard to move from a team that are basically looking to him all the time, to a car that is focused even if its not professionally on one driver...
DF!!! I MISSED YOU!!

I think ALONSO is getting the preferential treatment!! That's my lone vote up there!! :cheesy:
This article from http://www.GrandPrix.com makes a terrific point:
Grand Prix .com wrote: There have been some reports in recent days about Fernando Alonso complaining about McLaren favouring Lewis Hamilton and suggesting that Hamilton was lucky to win in Montreal. This needs to be looked at in context.

Alonso told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser that he is not comfortable at McLaren.

"From the first moment, I wasn't comfortable with everything," he said. "It's an English team, with an English team-mate. You know all the help goes his way. I've understood that from the start and I'm not moaning about it."

Given what happened in Monaco, this is an odd thing to say as it is very clear that the team insisted that Hamilton stay behind Alonso, even though he was much faster at that point of the race.

On several occasions this year Alonso has made mistakes - which can hardly be blamed on the team - and in the first 20 laps in Montreal was off three times at the first corner.

There is, on the other hand, a fair argument that Alonso was unfortunate with the Safety Car in Montreal. Hamilton pitted on lap 22 and the Safety Car came out almost immediately. Alonso was due in on lap 23 and had to pit because he did not have enough fuel to go further. As a result he was penalised and dropped back down the order. Towards the end of the race as he fought back he set the fastest lap of the race, suggesting that his car was every bit as good as Hamilton's.

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 14 Jun 2007, 20:20

Oh and agree with all the comments regarding his whinning... here's another classic Alonso moment:
Alonso wrote:
"From the first moment, I wasn't comfortable with everything," he said. "It's an English team, with an English team-mate. You know all the help goes his way. I've understood that from the start and I'm not moaning about it."
I'm not mnoaning about it!!! hahaha!

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 15 Jun 2007, 09:48

lol...
im undecided about who gets the favouritism at mclaren!
in some ways i think they are both being favoured,based on what happens in and during the race weekend!
if these reports are true (alonso's 'not moaning') then i think it will hurt the harmoneous relationships within the team, and in turn, hurt alonsos chances for te title.
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST