2007 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix

Reports, quotes, stats specifically about the F1 2007 season Grands Prix.
Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

2007 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix

Post by Zack » 10 Sep 2007, 05:30

2007 FORMULA 1™ ING Belgian Grand Prix

History :
The Grand Prix circus returns to Spa after an absence of a year due to failed negotiations over tobacco adverstising.
In every sense one of the classics on the calendar. A circuit both spectacular and emotive; La Source hairpin, the downhill plunge to Eau Rouge, the forest setting and the longest lap distance in the World Championship.
But the weather and size of the track means it can be problematic for drivers. It can be dry in one place and wet in another.
Some of the course follows public roads, but the track boasts excellent facilities for teams, officials and media. It has been the home of the Belgian Grand Prix on a permanent basis since 1985.

*Mclaren constructor points for hungry still in court.

*WMSC Council Meeting regarding Ferrari-Mclaren spygate this thursday.

Can Ferrari fight back? Can kimi do something about 18 points difference between him and leader?
Can Mclaren continue to 1-2 ? Last time it was massa who is the next?
Can BMW's shine shadow Mclaren-Ferrari at spa?
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

xman2331
kart driver
kart driver

Re: 2007 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix

Post by xman2331 » 10 Sep 2007, 05:54

finally the best racing track in the world returns

mikedc73
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by mikedc73 » 10 Sep 2007, 12:10

The Best Track in F1.
Always a good race.
Bring on Spa!!!! !yahoo:

wAsh
car driver
car driver

Post by wAsh » 10 Sep 2007, 15:49

Little preview I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnq24SdQLUU

Hopeulikey

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 11 Sep 2007, 07:58

Eau Rouge !grin! !grin! :p . Don't know if Macca can keep the big gap to Ferrari, don't think so ''hmm''
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

McLaren-F1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by McLaren-F1 » 11 Sep 2007, 08:20

i think Maccas will be very competitive here Ron said that we will use some developments that we used in Monza so lets see how we will perform there..But it'll be so exciting btw two Ferraris and Maccas...Spa is one of the best track i have ever seen..It's Alonso's favourite track too.. :T:@
4ever McLaren...

raikks
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by raikks » 11 Sep 2007, 09:29

Dunno, here at Spa I see a battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen.

I don't know for sure if what we saw at Monza was the true difference between McLaren and Ferrari, but for sure the Ferraries are #2. The circuit is fast and long, quite few laps -- let's hope it rains :T:@

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 Sep 2007, 10:13

Thanks zack :T:@

Drivers standings we have:

McLaren
McLaren
Ferrari
Ferrari
BMW
BMW
Renault
Renault
Williams
Williams
REd Bull
Red Bull
Toyota
Toyota

:p

Technical preview of Spa-Francorchamps with Pascal Vasselon

Spa is much loved but what are the major considerations heading there?
"In terms of race preparation, before going to Spa you always spend time on wet race strategies and the transition between wet and dry or dry and wet. Statistics tell us that the likelihood of rain is quite high, especially at this time of the season and notably considering the weather we have seen in the last months in North Europe. That’s not only special to Spa, if we were going to Nürburgring or Silverstone we would handle the race preparation in the same way."

What makes the track itself so special?
"Spa is, at the same time, a track with high average speed but also a lot of corners, fast corners. That’s what makes it special. Every year we hear from the drivers that Spa is one of the best circuits in the world. We should look at the objective criteria behind why circuits are popular with the drivers. What they like about Spa are probably the changes of elevation and the combination of high-speed corners, which is very challenging. The track lay out is natural, guided by the topology of the place, and not artificially created."

Eau Rouge looks mighty but how difficult is it? Do the cars bottom out there?
"It is not difficult to stop cars bottoming there but Eau Rouge does dictate where you have to run in terms of ride height. You have to raise the cars more than if the circuit did not feature Eau Rouge. It’s a demanding circuit from the car design point of view and many of the highest loads that we face during the season come at corners like Eau Rouge and Blanchimont. It actually sets quite a lot of parameters. You can imagine that designing a Formula 1 car, you need some references as to what are the maximum loads you will see for the suspension and chassis. We call them ‘load cases’. You design a car according to load cases and you make sure that your car will resist these load cases. Spa provides most of the demanding load cases. Eau Rouge is very severe because the compression in the middle gives you additional vertical load on the tyres which provides some extra lateral grip potential. Then you generate a combination of vertical and lateral force which, at least for steady state conditions excluding kerbs, is where you find the highest loadings in the suspension."

How significant are the modifications to the track this year?
"The facilities are more convenient. It is not as luxurious as Shanghai or Bahrain but we now have the facilities that we need – no unnecessary luxuries but what we need to be functional. For me, Spa does not need to have facilities like Shanghai because it is so exceptional. Spa is a unique racing environment. Motorsport culture is deeply ingrained there, the circuit is central to the economical and social life of the area and you can feel the enthusiasm of the fans. It is a really special place - just fantastic. When you stand at the bottom of Eau Rouge and you look up the hill to Raidillon, it is just fabulous. The TV tends to mask the details but when you go there as a spectator it is just stunning."

You talked about preparing for varying conditions, but what can you actually do?
"In most cases you do your set-up for the dry but not always. I remember that in 2005 we got a weather forecast for the race which was 95% rain, so this time we did our set-up for the wet, ran higher downforce and it worked, we were very competitive. Anticipating the set-up for wet conditions is the kind of thing you can do at Spa and you wouldn’t necessarily do anywhere else."

Will you have any car developments on the TF107 at Spa?
"We will have a few upgrades around the package we had in Turkey but obviously with lower downforce, no really big changes. The next aerodynamic package will come for Fuji. Encouragingly, we have already tested at Spa this year and the drivers felt comfortable and competitive. Everyone is looking forward to it."

Darksnake
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Darksnake » 11 Sep 2007, 17:07

Spa!! !yahoo: $peace

From what I've heard, it's going to be a dry race. Belgium is typical for that. When it has to rain, it doesn't, and when it has to be sunny it rains... :angel: But non the less, I'm hoping for a BMW win! !cool!!!! Wish I could be there (who knows, next year).

Now let's only hope Belgium will still exist in a week (whole Flanders - Wallonië discussion) or it's bye bye Belgian Grand Prix. ::oops:;

@wAsh: Nice preview. I liked it! :D

F1 Champion
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by F1 Champion » 11 Sep 2007, 18:16

zack wrote: 2007 FORMULA 1™ ING Belgian Grand Prix
I can't remember that it was a 2006 F1 race at Spa ''hmm'' :p

raikks
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by raikks » 11 Sep 2007, 19:04

F1 Champion wrote:I can't remember that it was a 2006 F1 race at Spa ''hmm'' :p
No, it wasn't. The figures are from the 2005 Belgium Grand Prix.

Very good observation Champ. $peace

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 12 Sep 2007, 13:47

The Weather.

The weather around the region is notoriously changeable and unpredictable. Often it can be hot and sunny on the pit straight and pouring with rain on the forest sections. In 1966, such a situation caused Jackie Stewart to lose control and nearly die in a horrifying accident at the super fast Masta Kink. Only luck and a handy spectator with a spanner prevented a catastrophe. Several races have been started under the safety car due to bad weather.

Weather Forecast.

Friday: Mostly Sunny, High 18°.
Saturday: Partly Cloudy, High 14°
Sunday: Mostly Sunny, High 17°

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 12 Sep 2007, 16:50

wAsh wrote:Little preview I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnq24SdQLUU

Hopeulikey
Michael was very pisted of at the end :p , love the preview $peace
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

raikks
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by raikks » 12 Sep 2007, 17:23

iceman1 wrote: Friday: Mostly Sunny, High 18°.
Saturday: Partly Cloudy, High 14°
Sunday: Mostly Sunny, High 17°
Ah.. too bad. My hopes for rain are pulverized. Wet races are the coolest. F1 cars are pretty safe now -- eg: K.Raikkonen @ Monza & R.Kubica @ Montreal. So bye-bye to the starts behind the SC !cool!!!!
Last edited by raikks on 12 Sep 2007, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 12 Sep 2007, 17:28

F1 Champion wrote:
zack wrote: 2007 FORMULA 1™ ING Belgian Grand Prix
I can't remember that it was a 2006 F1 race at Spa ''hmm'' :p
just below that..
Zack wrote:History :
The Grand Prix circus returns to Spa after an absence of a year due to failed negotiations over tobacco advertising.
I m not the author of images......so Allianz have made mistake ..but still gr8 graphics :@:2
For me track details(corner name,gear,...overtaking zone) were important so i posted it.
Anyways good observation.. :wink:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO