It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 21:32

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yank who fell in love with F1 at '69 USGP when Jochen Rindt
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 19:25  
car driver

I was 12 years old, and my dad took me to Watkins Glen to see our first auto race. Unfortunately Graham Hill suffered two badly broken legs... and next year "the Glen" began plans to lengthen, widen and improve safety of the track. But seeing Rindt in action driving a Lotus was magical, and left an indellable memory.

Never missed a GP at the Glen, managed to go to Mosport Park and Montreal to catch a few Canadian GP's. They have a much keener understanding of F1 in Canada, and better beer too.

Began my film making career at the Glen, filming McLaren and Tyrell teams, and some Can-Am action as well.

Was lucky to spend time with Bruce and Betty McLaren when they were in the states, and have always leaned towards their camp. When Bruce died, I was amazed at Betty's resolve and strength. Watching the team grow from the primitive state of the 60's to todays circus... I love that a simple young man, that committed to McLaren, is nearing the pinnacle... go Lewis!

So I have joined your forum to get more "juice" and hopefully see a successful conclusion to what I feel is the best season in many years!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati 
 Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Yank who fell in love with F1 at '69 USGP when Jochen Rindt
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 19:59  
F1 Legend

I would love to see the race Watkins Glen again :p ,

welcome To The Forum !grin! , enjoy yourself be happy

Feel Free To ask , If u Need Any Help

Thanks
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 07:07  
F1 Driver

Oh, Jochen Rindt

The guy who won the championship without even celebrating it. Poor guy.

Welcome to F1zone, Yank

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 14:10  
car driver

Thank you gentlemen for the kind welcome. I haven't had time to fully explore your excellent forum, but I am grateful for the time and energy that you have spent to build a solid community.

I look forward to sharing insight and opinions with our fellow enthusiasts.

I was lucky to grow up in the Finger Lakes region, less than 2 hours from the Glen. I can see why Bernie would ditch a quiet venue for the Big City sites... but the fall race, often season ending, with the Championship on the line some years... was very exciting.

The first year I had a license, my dad let me take his green XKE to the races. I was coasting down the hill into town and saw the usual line of 20 or so blood red Ferraris parked in front of the Glen Motor Court Inn had a gap in the center. I quickly filled it, and hitched a ride up to the circuit. When I returned around dinner time someone approached me as I jumped into the roadster, I figured I was going to get a tongue lashing from some Ferrari guy. Nope, it was Graham HIll saying "we wondered who had the b*** to park there! Good job chap!" He said "if you have time, leave the only real car where it is, and I will give you a ride" We took in his friends Porsche targa with Connecticut plates and did several tours of the real circuit, through the streets! Where the GP had been run for years bofore a track was built on the hill.

Since there was virtually no traffic, we took advantage of the cars abilities, and what a ride. I imagined the hay bales liining the curves... then Graham stopped and said "your turn" I drove that car for all I was worth, and he calmly critiqued and tutored me around for two laps. Then he instructed me to return to the Inn, and took me inside to meet a few of his friends. Half of the drivers were inside "relaxing" and Graham introduced me saying a few nice words. Friends for life, sadly life wasn't long enough. But he had opened the door much wider to an incredible world of competition.

Long live F1 Flag:##
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 15:32  
F1 Legend

So Lucky do u have Graham Hill Scrapbook 1929-1966″ ?
The scrapbook is entirely based on Hill’s collection of pictures and writing from races, social events, sponsor’s functions - everything he did in his racing driver life.
There are over 500 pictures from Grands Prix, non-championship races and other events - including two very interesting pictures of Hill’s notorious collision with Lorenzo Bandini in 1964 that gave the championship to Bandini’s team mate John Surtees.

Mate How old are u? and do u have some Pics?

Thanks
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 16:47  
car driver

Just turned 50 this month, and whatever pictures I have have been stored for decades. I will try to get my hands on them.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 17:40  
F1 Legend

Welcome Again iam 17 years old and Maltafan 30 !grin!
Have a Good time
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 01:40  
car driver

flatstick wrote:
Never missed a GP at the Glen, managed to go to Mosport Park and Montreal to catch a few Canadian GP's. They have a much keener understanding of F1 in Canada, and better beer too.

Ah, a man who knows his tracks and beer! Helllooooooo!

I miss Watkins Glen. I grew up in the Niagara area in Canada and we went there as kids. I still go to Mosport, some fabulous ALMS races and vintage races still happen there. And Montreal? Well, let's just say we've sat in the same seats for many, many years and still go. With our beer!

Welcome! @Beer
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 15:30  
F1 Driver

So you met Damon's father, Graham? Wow.

There was another dirver called Phil Hill and he was from the states. I've seen his signature at the Donnington Museum.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 23:48  
F1 Driver

Welcome flatstick .... !cool!!!!

VISIT THE SPANISH KIMI RAIKKONEN FORUM: http://z7.invisionfree.com/KimiRaikkonen_Iceman/
 Offline Profile