New members based on INVITATIONS

Tell us your comments about F1zone.net and the suggestions to improve it.
greenspanz
car driver
car driver

New members based on INVITATIONS

Post by greenspanz » 17 Mar 2008, 07:35

I think to avoid a lot of people who open up an account and never come back - the moderators can think about having new registrations based on Invite's ONLY.

So slowly moderators can start flushing out INVITE's to some of their most active members.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: New members based on INVITATIONS

Post by Zack » 17 Mar 2008, 08:05

Hi greenspanz ..thanks for your suggestion.

Invite only somehow won't help that much..IMO and Invite only feature(Mod) is still not available for phpBB3.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 25 Mar 2008, 19:09

Greenspanz,

thanks for your thought, however, I do not agree with the idea. Anyone can register and not write a single post, be it he found the web site on the net, or being invited by anyone of us.

On the other hand, I would prefer if we limit the number of threads opened by newbies saying hello. I think we should gather them in 1 thread cause it tends to be a boring welcoming 10 people to the forum on 1 single day.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 19 May 2008, 06:35

I agree with greenspanz on his good suggestion. I am not good with respect to this computer stuff, but i have suggestion with respect to people who are joining the forum. We can create the following rules if possible :
1. Every newbie should first post information about himself or say a hello to our members.
2. He or she should first make some meaningful posts in our General Discussion section. They should have atleast 25 spam less posts in that.
3. Once they have 25 posts they should be allowed the access video threads for the current calendar year's races in one section. But not to onboard videos or other variety of coverages and links we are hosting.
4. They should atleast make 50 meaningful posts to view the complete motorsports videos section.
5. They should visit the forum atleast 4 times a week and make some meaningful posts.

Either you can wish to have all these rules and create one with a different structure ... whichever would do good to our forum ...

KevC

Post by KevC » 20 May 2008, 12:13

You can't really force people to post.
Some like to post, some like to lurk.

Articate
car driver
car driver

Post by Articate » 22 May 2008, 17:29

I've discussed the pros and cons in several other posts by now, but now I'm feeling one of the cons growing as I continue browsing the forums.

There are so many users that just want 15 posts, and want to seem like they're not spamming. This results in meaningless threads in the chat section like 'When's your birthday!!', which is just a great way to say one line, and have it be justified. There's actual no interaction going on, just people asking rhetorical questions to justify posts.

I'd consider it a major con, killing the content of the forums to a certain extent.

David Smith
kart driver
kart driver

Post by David Smith » 24 May 2008, 22:59

I think the moderators are doing a good job as it is, ive only been here a short time but by looking the way they handle things its not to bad, deleting inactive accounts or accounts that are active but just dont post in threads after they reach 15posts should be removed,

Yes you cant force people to post, but its a discussion board(forum). Its main purpose is to discuss things and in this case is F1.

This forum is for major f1 fans from what ive seen so far and any big f1 fan loves to talk and read about it, so theres no need to have accounts where people simply just dont post.

colombian
car driver
car driver

Post by colombian » 25 May 2008, 01:44

I think the idea is good but it wouldn't be fair for people who sign up and stay
Williams F1 Team

hamburch
kart driver
kart driver

Post by hamburch » 26 May 2008, 12:59

Articate wrote:I've discussed the pros and cons in several other posts by now, but now I'm feeling one of the cons growing as I continue browsing the forums.

There are so many users that just want 15 posts, and want to seem like they're not spamming. This results in meaningless threads in the chat section like 'When's your birthday!!', which is just a great way to say one line, and have it be justified. There's actual no interaction going on, just people asking rhetorical questions to justify posts.

I'd consider it a major con, killing the content of the forums to a certain extent.
i think that is a very valid point. i understand the 15 post thing because otherwise people just register and download like mad without contributing in any way, but by forcing them to write comments that does not really make it any better, especially if its non-sense stuff like "What time is it now..."

maybe it is an idea to block the "non-sense" threads as well until you get 15 posts or something, if its really necessary to have them :) just an idea. i see the problem, am a new member myself and dont really so a complete answer anywhere. there is always the freebie problem on the internet.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 24 Jan 2009, 21:05

How 'bout Motorsport Videos is opened up Manually by a Mod/Admin after they have made some decent discussion. Just an idea. I didn't introduce myself as I like to remain anonymous Image.

KevC

Post by KevC » 25 Jan 2009, 14:32

That's a lot of hands on time keeping track of people and whether they are in the right access group for that forum.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 25 Jan 2009, 15:07

Kevin Clark wrote:That's a lot of hands on time keeping track of people and whether they are in the right access group for that forum.
Problem solved. Once one feels they deserve access to it they can put in a request in a special option where Motorsport Videos would normally be (they can state why they deserve it) and the Mods/Admins/Other People given access to the task can allow or deny. Should take 24 hours max.
Maybe if no reply in 36 hours they are autoapproved entry until a later judgement.
I reckon some foum regulars should be given the chance to do this job(maybe the "video access team", just like the "uploaders team" etc.) .
Just my $0.02

KevC

Post by KevC » 25 Jan 2009, 17:21

That sounds like even more work! Someone has to get the PM, post the content up to be voted on, wait for the consensus which probably involves people reading through some of their posts, then if they get a yes you have to go into the admin panel, find them and assign them to the right group.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 25 Jan 2009, 17:40

No, they just submit name and reason, first authorised user to get to them decides, with their reason. And if the user believes it to be biased it is escalated to iceman/more senior member who will make the ultimate decision . Easy, most cases will take ten minutes max. To stop escalations for escalations sake, a failed escelation that had little or no basis will result in a time-length wait (1 month) before reapplying.

KevC

Post by KevC » 25 Jan 2009, 18:42

cformula1 wrote:Easy, most cases will take ten minutes max.
I bet it doesn't :)