Other
No votes

Total votes: 14

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Re: Formula 1 Magyar Nagydíj 2013

Post by tderias » 29 Jul 2013, 12:18

Vettel and Red Bull have got this one in the bag. Anything else is wishful thinking.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 29 Jul 2013, 16:41

last time a driver won Hungarian GP and then went on to win the championship that season was 2004.
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 30 Jul 2013, 10:03

Having just watched the race, firstly I have to eat my hat about Hamilton and Mercedes who put together the perfect weekend and whose consistency during the race smashed all expectations. It doesn't happen so often that talk of a team "working very hard to get on top of the problem" actually manages to do it in such a visible way. So congrats to those who saw it coming.

As for Vettel and especially Grosjean, I can't help but think that their races were compromised by inexplicable strategy calls. If plan A was for a three stop, why would you pit Grosjean one lap later than Vettel and two laps later than Hamilton, when he was obviously the fastest of the three at that point? Isn't the basic idea to go for the undercut instead?

That he and Vettel found themselves stuck behind Button ruined any chances of a victory. But if Romain had pulled the undercut on Vettel, none of this would have happened as I believe he had the pace to overtake Button as easily as Hamilton did. As for his antics later on, I agree with the view that it was clusmy but harshly penalized, especially when you consider that other collisions (ROS/MAS, VET/BUT) weren't even investigated. His penalty for the move on Massa was incomprehensible, it was the best bit of racing that happened all day but apparently the FIA would rather see a procession where nobody ever tries anything. Also, lol at penalizing the same driver for not leaving enough space and then for leaving TOO MUCH!

Speaking of space, I was quite shocked with Vettel at the start. Didn't leave RoGro much more room than the latter had left Hamilton at Spa last year, and the results could have been just as disastrous.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 Jul 2013, 10:22

I know, Vettel went off track in the space of two corners when defending against Grosjean - which is surely gaining an advantage. Either the stewards need to be 100% strict or let it go all the time.

KevC

Post by KevC » 30 Jul 2013, 14:59

François wrote: Speaking of space, I was quite shocked with Vettel at the start. Didn't leave RoGro much more room than the latter had left Hamilton at Spa last year, and the results could have been just as disastrous.
Yeah I was quite surprised too. And you can bet if it ended badly, it would have been called Grosjean's fault.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 30 Jul 2013, 17:52

Kevin Clark wrote:
François wrote: Speaking of space, I was quite shocked with Vettel at the start. Didn't leave RoGro much more room than the latter had left Hamilton at Spa last year, and the results could have been just as disastrous.
Yeah I was quite surprised too. And you can bet if it ended badly, it would have been called Grosjean's fault.
Yeah that could have ended up very bad.. I agree.. I was quite shocked as well on Vettel's move which is very very similar to what Grosjean did, almost... Poor on Grosjean, it was simply because people has not trusted him anymore, and he already been labelled as wheelnut case or something? it really is bad for his career.
Vettel was surely not leaving enough space for Grosjean on that, it was not a good move at all. But some drivers like to shut doors like that when defending or overtaking. So far I see plenty of them are Vettel, and sometimes Alonso, and Schumi for sure. Let's compare the slamming doors move with more respectable and sportsman move like Hamilton and Webber does... They move quite well on every competitors.. I was shocked why Webber prefer to get away from tracks on Hamilton move in the middle of the race, but then I watch the replay carefully, hamilton leave quite plenty of space for him actually! I think it's just a precaution for being logical and safe for Webber. But man, i must put my deepest respect on each of Hamilton move in overtaking or defending, he always, i really mean ALWAYS so far I know, leaving enough space for other drivers. He is really my man. Great job for him. If
it were not Hamilton, I would pretty sure 80-90% other driver would force other driver off the tracks.

By the way, was Hamilton win has something to do with Paddy already in Merc working? Is it probably the magic of him?

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 Jul 2013, 18:02

Am I the only one who thought Button was being extra motivated in keeping Vettel behind? Cant blame him like, we know Vettel isn't the best in wheel to wheel without a clear advantage. But it was Funny Hamilton nailing Jenson so soon yet Vettel was stuck and being hounded by Rogro.

Still say Rogro was man of the race.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 30 Jul 2013, 22:15

"Wheelnut case", hahaha. Awesome. :thumbsup:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 31 Jul 2013, 00:14

Hi-res pictures from the Hungarian GP!

http://www.f1zone.net/news/gallery/2013 ... n-gp-2013/

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 31 Jul 2013, 15:16

mikhailv wrote:Am I the only one who thought Button was being extra motivated in keeping Vettel behind? Cant blame him like, we know Vettel isn't the best in wheel to wheel without a clear advantage. But it was Funny Hamilton nailing Jenson so soon yet Vettel was stuck and being hounded by Rogro.

Still say Rogro was man of the race.
I think it was more like an unexpected overtaking move done by Hamilton.. So I think that make the overtake much easier because the opponent (Button) was unaware that he would be attacked on that corner etc. So the "motivation" was simply translated because when Vettel want to attack it was so obvious that the opponent will defend as hard as he could. As simple as that I think...

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 31 Jul 2013, 16:56

Vettel wasn't able to overtake Alonso a couple of yrs ago in the same track.

3 guys can do it without contact: Alonso, Lewis and Kimi.

others, while being good at something else... like Grosjean, Vettel, Webber, Rosberg etc... are just that tiny bit of a step below (overtaking-wise).

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 31 Jul 2013, 17:55

It is the car as well though - the Red Bull is not set-up for overtaking. When it is, we've seen Vettel do it.

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 31 Jul 2013, 18:33

Great race by Hamilton. Also by Kimi, for fending off Vettel. He thought Kimi didn't give him any space but I thought it was alright and Vettel overreacted. Kimi just took the racing line and that is not where vettel was so... And grosjean still acts very unexperienced on track with the incidents. He's good don't get me wrong but not a complete driver.

I really hope Kimi will get back with Ferrari. My fav team and my fav driver. I don't think it will become true though but fingers crossed.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 31 Jul 2013, 18:50

phil1993 wrote:It is the car as well though - the Red Bull is not set-up for overtaking. When it is, we've seen Vettel do it.
True. But the tires now create a big enough gap where it can be done more or less easier than a couple yrs before. But yea, that RB gets pretty fidgety when trailing... and it was definitely not set up with overtaking in mind...

Vettel can do it very well, i just think not to the same level of confidence of Alonso and Hamilton. Hamilton perhaps better in terms of seizing the chance, while Alonso is a bit more strategical with overtakes...
Last edited by F1EA on 01 Aug 2013, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 31 Jul 2013, 18:52

Great race by Hamilton. Also by Kimi, for fending off Vettel. He thought Kimi didn't give him any space but I thought it was alright and Vettel overreacted. Kimi just took the racing line and that is not where vettel was so... And grosjean still acts very unexperienced on track with the incidents. He's good don't get me wrong but not a complete driver.

I really hope Kimi will get back with Ferrari. My fav team and my fav driver. I don't think it will become true though but fingers crossed.

EDIT: sorry for the double post internet wasnt working properly.