Other
3%

Total votes: 76

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: 2013 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

Post by Soren » 17 Mar 2013, 22:21

Out of hibernation and straight into the mix. What a fantastic race. And not just because my favorite driver won. It was genuinely exciting and unpredictable. Awesome.

I did my usual Kimi centered race review if anyone is interested :)

http://f1bias.com/2013/03/17/australia- ... n-squeezy/
Join our feisty Kimi Raikkonen group on Facebook
Click and join :D
Click here to follow us on Twitter as well

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 18 Mar 2013, 07:53

It's a very nice chart analysis... judging by the chart, Lotus is the same as Force India which able to run mediums up until 23 laps, which others like Ferrari, Red Bull, or Mercedes could last only as far as 13-15 laps. Mercedes run on Supersoft which lasted 12 laps probably their biggest failure and getting them out of the competition. Their degradation level is probably the same as Ferrari, and Red Bull, which only possibly run on 3 stops. Had Hamilton not trying to preserve the supersofts until 12 laps, I wonder how the car race pace is, would he be able to cope with Ferrari / Red Bull pace? I think he might be as fast as Red Bull, but Ferrari's race pace is better by some few tenths every laps. But nice strategy for Alonso which see him jump Vettel on 2nd stop! It was amazing strategy by Ferrari (thumbs up).

After looking carefully at the chart, Lotus seems the fastest car WITH its low degradation on tires.. which is interesting, then later on many races, Lotus might easily win the competition just like in Melbourne, when tire degradation becoming more demanding on some hot circuits like Malaysia, Bahrain, etc. Probably when the circuit doesn't match the strategy of pit stop counts, then Lotus could easily be beaten by Ferrari, Red Bull, and probably Mercedes too.

So, any other Melbourne-race-like circuits probably Lotus' but when other teams find something on it, they might do the same... I think it probably is very much depends on the car set-up. How to preserve the Primes more, or how to make the Options working reasonably consistent for some laps.

Adam
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Adam » 18 Mar 2013, 10:18

Soren wrote:Out of hibernation and straight into the mix. What a fantastic race. And not just because my favorite driver won. It was genuinely exciting and unpredictable. Awesome.

You're review would be cute to anyone if it wasn't because "being centered on a driver" shouldn't be a reason to jump with slurs against others. ;)

The "Golden Goose" will likely lay an egg once he finally has a reasonable car through out the year to reasonably fight for the championship (it seems this year may be it :thumbsup: )

And yup, I disagree we witnessed a switcheroo. But to be fair I think it would have been reasonable to do so anyway, as if I was a team manager I'd trust much more the lack of flaws of Alonso through a year than I do for Massa. Talking about eggs again, it's better to put them in the best basket you know. :cool:

At least in this case, Ferrari only uses 1 team to favor Alonso. :zz:

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soren » 18 Mar 2013, 11:21

Adam wrote: You're review would be cute to anyone if it wasn't because "being centered on a driver" shouldn't be a reason to jump with slurs against others. ;)

The "Golden Goose" will likely lay an egg once he finally has a reasonable car through out the year to reasonably fight for the championship (it seems this year may be it :thumbsup: )

And yup, I disagree we witnessed a switcheroo. But to be fair I think it would have been reasonable to do so anyway, as if I was a team manager I'd trust much more the lack of flaws of Alonso through a year than I do for Massa. Talking about eggs again, it's better to put them in the best basket you know. :cool:
Well, being able to use "slurs" is one of the few upsides of running a blog. So.. :O
Kidding aside, Alonso might very well win this year. He has the skills and an enormous moneymachine backing him up. And yet I find things like these kinda funny: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/motorsports/ ... an-Vettel/
Nothing new, really. Fact is, he needs a "Fisichella" or a "Massa" to function. A "Hamilton" or a "Vettel" clearly doesn't work for him. One can debate why endlessly. But for whatever reason, it can never be flattering.
Adam wrote: At least in this case, Ferrari only uses 1 team to favor Alonso. :zz:
O Rly? http://www.f1zone.net/news/ferrari-aske ... nso/18176/

naiego
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by naiego » 18 Mar 2013, 12:51

Ether wrote:
After looking carefully at the chart, Lotus seems the fastest car WITH its low degradation on tires.. which is interesting, then later on many races, Lotus might easily win the competition just like in Melbourne, when tire degradation becoming more demanding on some hot circuits like Malaysia, Bahrain, etc. Probably when the circuit doesn't match the strategy of pit stop counts, then Lotus could easily be beaten by Ferrari, Red Bull, and probably Mercedes too.

It's interesting that Lotus had the best race pace in conditons that last year didn't suit them at all. Last year the car was at its best when the temperature was around 30-32 degrees Celsius. Yesterday the were faster in conditions of 17 degrees Celsius.
I wonder what will happen in warm Malaysia.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 18 Mar 2013, 14:03

naiego wrote:
Ether wrote:

It's interesting that Lotus had the best race pace in conditons that last year didn't suit them at all. Last year the car was at its best when the temperature was around 30-32 degrees Celsius. Yesterday the were faster in conditions of 17 degrees Celsius.
I wonder what will happen in warm Malaysia.
Well, probably the contrary, or... they still operate much better than any other teams? then Lotus will really show the challenge to fight WDC and WCC to Ferrari and RB..

let's see how they perform! I'm very glad that the 2nd GP is just a week away.. these opening flyaway races really get me excited..

By the way, I can sense Mercedes would abandon this year's car quite early, as you can see because their car is fast enough, quite some work to do IF they want to after Ferrari and Red Bull, which both are having the craziest rate of development in the whole season.. Meanwhile, Lotus is a little bit unknown, so Mercedes could be securely be 4th in WCC, or maybe they would try to fight for 3rd? but I don't thing so, because they already start this season by always discussing about 2014 car. The closest rival to threaten Mercedes probably Force India, or Sauber.. which both seems a little bit far away compare to their pace.. and their development also not so great as they all struggle about money. So I think Mercedes will decide probably as soon as after Barcelona. They would probably decide to develop 2014 car already.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Mclaren, sorry, but I don't think they would try to catch up either, and Mercedes could still easily cope with Mclaren's MP4-28 which already developed entire season. Mclaren also probably focus on 2014 car as soon as possible, but try to grab 4th in WCC.. But I don't think they could with MP4-28. The gap is to huge for now. But let's see the gap after Barcelona.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 18 Mar 2013, 16:01

Soren wrote:
Adam wrote: You're review would be cute to anyone if it wasn't because "being centered on a driver" shouldn't be a reason to jump with slurs against others. ;)

Well, being able to use "slurs" is one of the few upsides of running a blog. So.. :O
Kidding aside, Alonso might very well win this year. He has the skills and an enormous moneymachine backing him up. And yet I find things like these kinda funny: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/motorsports/ ... an-Vettel/
Nothing new, really. Fact is, he needs a "Fisichella" or a "Massa" to function. A "Hamilton" or a "Vettel" clearly doesn't work for him. One can debate why endlessly. But for whatever reason, it can never be flattering.
Adam wrote: At least in this case, Ferrari only uses 1 team to favor Alonso. :zz:
O Rly? http://www.f1zone.net/news/ferrari-aske ... nso/18176/
However, Hamilton needed a Heikki to win his only championship; Vettel has needed a self acclaimed no. 2 driver and an overwhelming car; oh and Kimi needed a Massa for his. Does that unflatter their championships? No way.

Claiming a non-existing moral high ground to flatter drivers is pretty useless.

At the end of the day, if anyone's sincere; they'd know the only way Ferrari were able to make Fernando's strategy work was if he was actually faster than the two he left behind. And for various reasons, he was.

Also, because he was stuck behind he could take the gamble... he had nothing to lose. Imagine Massa having come in early and still losing the position :O which he would have, because Alonso was faster.

Face it: Alonso is faster than Massa, just like Vettel is faster than Webber and Kimi faster than Grosjean (even if not simply faster, but definitely better).

Oh and BTW i liked the Kimi-minded review...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 Mar 2013, 17:48

Soren wrote:Out of hibernation and straight into the mix. What a fantastic race. And not just because my favorite driver won. It was genuinely exciting and unpredictable. Awesome.

This was pretty funny :lol:
My pulse is racing as the lights go on, one by one. I suddenly get a horrible thought. Kimi could be taken out by someone in 10 seconds from now! What the heck, brain? Shut up! As I fight my pessimistic side, the lights go out and I strain to see how Kimi fares. Oh no, thats a crappy start! FFFFUUUUUUU! Wait a minute… Isn’t it Grosjeans helmet that is white on top now and Kimis that is black? Argh, it is! FFFFFUUUUU! What’s with the switchy of helmet colors FFS!!
Keep it up!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Mar 2013, 17:56

Vettel, Webber, Massa, Raikkonen, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Van der Garde qualified in the position of their car number :p

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 Mar 2013, 20:04

I like Kimi more now :zz:

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soren » 19 Mar 2013, 07:39

iceman1 wrote: This was pretty funny :lol:
My pulse is racing as the lights go on, one by one. I suddenly get a horrible thought. Kimi could be taken out by someone in 10 seconds from now! What the heck, brain? Shut up! As I fight my pessimistic side, the lights go out and I strain to see how Kimi fares. Oh no, thats a crappy start! FFFFUUUUUUU! Wait a minute… Isn’t it Grosjeans helmet that is white on top now and Kimis that is black? Argh, it is! FFFFFUUUUU! What’s with the switchy of helmet colors FFS!!
Keep it up!
Cheers :)

Sidenote: My favorite characters from the show in your avatar.
phil1993 wrote:Vettel, Webber, Massa, Raikkonen, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Van der Garde qualified in the position of their car number :p
Lol. What a weird statistic.
Great race writeup in your signature btw. Image

Adam
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Adam » 19 Mar 2013, 14:11

Soren wrote: Well, being able to use "slurs" is one of the few upsides of running a blog. So.. :O
And misinformations I guess.
He has that attitude of a worker that wants to seal his position. Like it or not, that's a matter of taste. As long as he gives reasons to deserve the preference, it's a fair game.
You just see what you want to see. We could see last year how oftenly Perez gave a hard time to Alonso. Anyway, if you focus on what he really said you'll understand he answered with a lot of ambiguity, he even thought the other teams could have been told the same by Ferrari... :huh:

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with you being biased in favor of a driver or against other. I just felt the need to point it out since you provided such link around here. Made the critic and the point, I see no reason to continue the discussion.
F1EA wrote: Vettel has needed a self acclaimed no. 2 driver and an overwhelming car
[...]
And another team, plus a compatriot (Schumacher) that also gave him his favors.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Mar 2013, 16:51

McLaren apologises to Webber for start issue
http://www.f1zone.net/news/mclaren-apol ... sue/18200/

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 20 Mar 2013, 01:19

by the way, this is a pretty good analysis of the race : http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... n-and-lost

Which show lap times when pit stop is going to be made... We could see how each cars perform in the race by the drivers managing his tire. But I think it's more like more on car-set-up performance than drivers ability to manage tires.