2011 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

2011 Formula One Season.

Who will win the UBS Chinese Grand Prix?

Poll ended at 17 Apr 2011, 07:57

Sebastian Vettel
47%
Jenson Button
7%
Lewis Hamilton
33%
Mark Webber
3%
Fernando Alonso
10%
Felipe Massa
No votes
Nick Heidfeld
No votes
Vitaly Petrov
No votes
Kamui Kobayashi
No votes
Sebastien Buemi
No votes
Michael Schumacher
No votes
Nico Rosberg
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 30

cheng.damien
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: 2011 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

Post by cheng.damien » 19 Apr 2011, 04:11

F1Fan88 wrote:For some reason i always get the impression that the Ferrari has fantastic mechanical grip, possibly the best, but is lacking in further grip provided by aerodynamic downforce.
Yes,
This appears to be the case. How they are going to resolve the lack of aero performance, let's see.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Apr 2011, 08:31

phil1993 wrote:F1Zone race ratings so far:
Australia - 6.53 (40 votes)
Malaysia - 8.14 (35 votes)
China - 9.19 (36 votes). I think that might be a new record for this forum.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Apr 2011, 08:36

Zack wrote:
François wrote:I disagree with you, Zack, but of course it becomes a matter of personal taste at this point. Even though there has been much more overtaking than we had come to expect, there have also been a lot of great battles, with impressive, daring moves, both offensive and defensive. The simple fact that it is now possible to overtake mean that drivers go about their racing differently, they actually try stuff which they would've been reluctant to do in the past: what about Hamilton's passes on Button at T1, on Vettel going into T7? Rosberg and others overtaking into T16? Artificial DRS-induced racing, or just sheer brilliance? What about Webber and others raising clouds of dust by braking on the dirty side before T14, didn't they take any risks, did that look like easy overtaking? What about Schumi holding up a faster Alonso for several laps? What about Petrov and Heidfeld being able to protect their 3rd position from a faster car in the closing stages of the first two races?
My Point of View is overtaking now seems to be easier as it was suppose to be(thanks to fia & co). Btw, overtaking was always possible. Matter of the fact is the difference in the performance of car is that allows the overtaking with some added driver skills. That difference is now enhanced using DRS which makes it possible for driver behind to gain more advantage rapidly. I personally don't like this. It seems to be semi blue flag for driver ahead.
And its not like drivers didn't take risk earlier. To contradict, now driver with fresh rubber naturally have better grip so less risk. :p :lol: My Simplified reason is Pirelli tire wear profiles. Similar to tire war scene. It seems to be more natural and organic than DRS. It's like sitting duck v/s road runner

It is good for f1 if everyone want this.
It's only easier because for the last few years, we've been living in an era where overtaking has been so difficult. And you can defend. Vettel did it against Hamilton - get a good run out of Turn 13, stick to the inside line at the hairpin and be slow to pick up the throttle so that you block the car behind.

Also, this era is such a great one. Champions such as Vettel, Button, Hamilton, Alonso & Schumacher. The other guys like Massa, Webber & Rosberg and the young guns like Kobayashi and Perez. 24 cars and some great races. Everyone harks back to the glory days of the 80s, but I watched some of those races (highlights) and they were piss poor. So boring. In the 90s you never really had more than 4 guys fighting for the win, on a good day. Usually for a few years it was either Schumi or Hill, Schumi or Jv, Schumi or Mika. Now there are so many guys who are fighting for top honours.

Some stats:
- Lewis Hamilton: 15th career win
- Mark Webber: 8th career fastest lap
- Jenson Button: Now gone a whole year without winning, has taken 4 second place since
- Nico Rosberg: Led a race for the first time since China 2010
- Fernando Alonso: 4 races without a podium
- Williams: Worst start to a season since 1979
- 23 finishers in the race: a new record.
- Therefore Vitantonio Liuzzi took the lowest ever classified finish in F1 history, 23rd.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 19 Apr 2011, 09:29

May be, I am just to much accustomed to previous F1. I like overtaking but few of them on straight looked so 'no competition'.

Q: What is the record number of overtaking in a race?
Off-Topic: show
Have to do something abt polls ''hmm''
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Apr 2011, 11:23

I believe its Mexico 1990, there were about 85

alejandroX
kart driver
kart driver

Post by alejandroX » 19 Apr 2011, 13:36

And five races later, Ferrari [and especially Alonso] could pass Petrov HAHAHAHAHAH
El ministerio del tiempo puso sede en mi almohada
Ahí te encuentro a momentos aunque no sirve de nada.

alejandroX

rFactor updates ___ http://www.mediafire.com/alejandroX

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 19 Apr 2011, 17:20

Zack wrote: Q: What is the record number of overtaking in a race?
Here is Autosport's report:
In terms of overtaking, the Chinese Grand Prix once again proved to be one of the most prolific on the calendar. Last year, with a wet-dry race, 62 successful passes were recorded. This year there were 63 in a dry one! This means yesterday's race had the highest number of passes since the 1990 Mexican Grand Prix which featured 70.

Mark Webber made no less than 14 passing moves during the race, the highest by one driver since Eddie Irvine recorded 16 in France in 1999. The absolute record was set by Alain Prost, with 22, in the 1984 South African Grand Prix.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 20 Apr 2011, 13:36

There have been almost 150 separate overtaking moves since the five red lights faded at the 2011 season opener in Australia.

That is the finding of the Turun Sanomat newspaper in Finland, reporting on the success of F1's new formula featuring moveable rear wings, Pirelli tyres and KERS.

The newspaper said Sunday's 63 passes in China was the highest number recorded in dry weather in more than 20 years.

That number was more than the number of passes in the Shanghai rain two years ago, and compares starkly with the mere 9 passing moves during the 2008 Chinese grand prix.

Turun Sanomat said there were 56 passes in Malaysia less than two weeks ago, compared to 24 at Sepang in 2010. In 2008, there were just 5 passes during the same grand prix outside Kuala Lumpur.

Australia, meanwhile, was the least spectacular of the three races so far in 2011, but there were 29 recorded passes; up 4 on 2009, 17 more than in 2008, and 21 more than the Melbourne race four years ago.

"Lots has been said about the new rules," said Lotus driver Heikki Kovalainen after returning from China to Switzerland, where he lives.

"I agree they're a great success; the races are unpredictable, more overtaking is happening, so they're working."

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 20 Apr 2011, 13:56

I think the new rules work only on real tracks "Tilkedromes" while on street circuits i think everything will stay the same
If we had these rules in 2010 then im sure Alonso would pass Petrov

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 20 Apr 2011, 17:08

:lol: no use speculating on the past, cause things happened as it happened, none can rewrite it

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 22 Apr 2011, 08:55

iceman1 wrote:
There have been almost 150 separate overtaking moves since the five red lights faded at the 2011 season opener in Australia.

That is the finding of the Turun Sanomat newspaper in Finland, reporting on the success of F1's new formula featuring moveable rear wings, Pirelli tyres and KERS.

The newspaper said Sunday's 63 passes in China was the highest number recorded in dry weather in more than 20 years.

That number was more than the number of passes in the Shanghai rain two years ago, and compares starkly with the mere 9 passing moves during the 2008 Chinese grand prix.

Turun Sanomat said there were 56 passes in Malaysia less than two weeks ago, compared to 24 at Sepang in 2010. In 2008, there were just 5 passes during the same grand prix outside Kuala Lumpur.

Australia, meanwhile, was the least spectacular of the three races so far in 2011, but there were 29 recorded passes; up 4 on 2009, 17 more than in 2008, and 21 more than the Melbourne race four years ago.

"Lots has been said about the new rules," said Lotus driver Heikki Kovalainen after returning from China to Switzerland, where he lives.

"I agree they're a great success; the races are unpredictable, more overtaking is happening, so they're working."
Great statistics. Heard Mark Webber was leading the driver standings for most overtakes, so if he can do it... :p
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

zoefrances
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by zoefrances » 23 Apr 2011, 16:46

it will be interesting to see how DRS will feature in monaco. it is a unique track.

there seems to have been more overtaking in 2011 than in other seasons. DRS seems to be working so far to allow overtaking.

SpliT
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by SpliT » 23 Apr 2011, 16:50

zoefrances wrote:it will be interesting to see how DRS will feature in monaco. it is a unique track.

there seems to have been more overtaking in 2011 than in other seasons. DRS seems to be working so far to allow overtaking.
http://www.f1zone.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6588 "DRS could be banned in Monaco "

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 23 Apr 2011, 19:17

zoefrances wrote:
I think the Pirelli tyres have a bigger effect in terms of overtaking
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0