Re: Bahrain political instability

Post by iceman1 » 13 May 2011, 09:48

:p

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 13 May 2011, 17:58

If this race goes ahead i don't think it will be shown on TV here in the UK, at least that’s the current thinking by the BBC, it may be shown online though.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 03 Jun 2011, 10:27

From my friend : WMSC approved Bahrain GP for 2011. tentative date is 30th of October..

confirmation in few minutes..

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 03 Jun 2011, 11:54

It's Confirmed. Bahrain is Back.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 03 Jun 2011, 12:20

Poor decision, especially since they fired rubber bullets and tear gas on protesters marching towards Pearl Square today. The only upside is that we have a full calendar again.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Jun 2011, 12:27

FIA votes unanimous 26 out of 26 for Bahrain F1

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 03 Jun 2011, 12:50

I think it's time for fans to let their feelings be heard. I havent contributed to a forum for a couple of years but this issue must be made clear to the FIA et al. I will not watch the race in Bahrain and I ask that other fans do the same. I dont think this is the end though and I do think it will be pulled and they are just going through the motions. People lost their lives in that country and that cannot be ignored.

Regards
Bobdredds

phil1993

Re: Bahrain Grand Prix 2011

Post by phil1993 » 03 Jun 2011, 14:08

FIA confirm: October 30th.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 03 Jun 2011, 15:40

This is silly. They say money wasnt the issue, then i wonder what was

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 03 Jun 2011, 17:02

I think that is why they put it on the Indian date and not in December.

If it was the last race and championship decided (as it looks now) teams would be easier to boycot.

I see the FIA ban teams for racing the Brazilian and Indian grandprix if they boycott the Bahrain race

This is a pure financial decision nothing else – there is no other reason to go there. Civil rights violations, staff being arrested/beaten – public being surpressed and suddenly all is good for the publicity of F1 – yeah right

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 03 Jun 2011, 18:40

Good points all but there is still the reaction from sponsors and fans to deal with. If both stand firm behind a boycott it would at least send a message that they should rethink it. There may an issue with tv companies liike the BBC refusing to air it. It is a strange outcome given what is being reported in the media. There is no will to go there amongst the teams and some heavy hitters like Hill and Mosely are totally opposed to it. Of course if the FIA and Bernie do all in their power to make it happen but in the end it was too complicated for whatever reason, they will come out of it blameless apart from criticism, which wont bother them. From what I have seen about 90% of F1 fans are against it. That may be an exageration but it is hard to find support for it anywhere. I wont watch it in 2011 anyway regardless, out of respect for those that died. Not even the replay.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 04 Jun 2011, 01:18

the tought hing about boycotting is, it needs to be unanaimous by all teams, teams like Ferrari might actually just run it (like in Usa 2005) and then we are back to zero

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 04 Jun 2011, 08:40

I dont mean it wrong, but why is everyone being so hypocritical saying we shouldnt go? We shouldnt go to china then, due to the torture and murder of anyone opposing the government. We shouldnt go to brazil for the way people are living in slums, and their crime rates and the fact that was it last year or 2009, that team members were held up at gunpoint and robbed.

Should we not goto korea either? What about japan, with the constant murdering of whales and sharks? Thats a moral high ground to take.

No. Course you cant say that. People are just being stupid. Formula 1 has nothing to do with politcal unrest, and it shouldnt stop because a country's people are being oppressed, otherwise we shouldnt be in china or korea or brazil. Every country has its wrongs, and theres no condoning it, but the fact is, what has it got to do with the sport? What does it have to do with 24 cars going round a track?

and the excuse about teams working from january, woopie effin doo! Normal people like ourselves, work 6 days a week, for 10-12 hours a day, and we get 5 weeks off. Thats a month and 1 week. The teams get 3 week in august, they arent suppose to work that much after testing, and they get what, 3-4 weeks off in december? Thats in line with everybody else, except most of us are back at work 27th of december lol.

So, it should go to bahrain. Its not Formula 1's place to challenge governments or say we arent going due to opression of the people, otherwise we should lose a good 4 or 5 races.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 04 Jun 2011, 12:43

I can understand your points but it isn't quite as simple as that in my view. There is a clear message coming from inside Bahrain that people dont want the race and widespread protests are planned in every city in the country if it goes ahead.

"NABEEL RAJAB - BAHRAIN CENTRE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS PRESIDENT

"It's a very sad moment. It seems that their [Formula 1 organisers] benefit and their interest has more importance than the human rights of people in this part of the region.

"It's very upsetting, and the people are very upset.

"Already they have called the day of that racing 'a day of rage', where they're going to come out everywhere, in every city of Bahrain, to show anger to what the Bahrain government, the Bahrain regime, is doing towards their own people."

While it makes no difference to some and there is an argument that F1 could be used to mend bridges, in my view it is too soon and shows a lack of respect to the victims and their families who wont have enough time to grieve for their loss. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable watching it. I can't remember the last time I missed a race but I enjoy all of them anyway. However there are more important things in life than an F1 race.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 04 Jun 2011, 12:55

sdutt wrote:the tought hing about boycotting is, it needs to be unanaimous by all teams, teams like Ferrari might actually just run it (like in Usa 2005) and then we are back to zero
I think that boycotting should be an individual stance and those who decide to watch it should be able to do so without criticism. Certaiinly a large number of people have decided not to watch but it is complicated for the teams. They have said that they dont want to go and Ross Brawn made it very clear in Monaco. Because of scheduling now is the time to make objections and boycotting work. Because of the loss of life, the race is an insult to the victims and their families in my view. Nothing will make me watch it. It's all I can do but it is the least I can do.