FIA Formula E Championship

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
KevC

Re: FIA Formula E Championship

Post by KevC » 15 Sep 2014, 21:51

Why is it all on street circuits? Is it to hide the fact the cars aren't very fast? Seems odd to go to somewhere like Malaysia and not sue the GP circuit. Or China and not use the hideously underused GP track there either.

Vorull
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vorull » 16 Sep 2014, 04:15

Yeah I was hoping they could get more speed out of them too. But I guess for the first season it's ok, it will improve in the future. I don't really get what's with the fan boost, can someone explain it really fast?
KevC wrote:Why is it all on street circuits? Is it to hide the fact the cars aren't very fast? Seems odd to go to somewhere like Malaysia and not sue the GP circuit. Or China and not use the hideously underused GP track there either.
Probably because it's cheaper.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 16 Sep 2014, 09:56

KevC wrote:Why is it all on street circuits? Is it to hide the fact the cars aren't very fast? Seems odd to go to somewhere like Malaysia and not sue the GP circuit. Or China and not use the hideously underused GP track there either.
I think that's part of the reason. The cars do appear to be noticeably slow, and the last thing they want is lap time comparisons.

Another reason could be that street circuits would attract more spectators as opposed to circuit thrown x miles away from the city centre. The series is in its infancy and needs fan support.

Goose
car driver
car driver

Post by Goose » 16 Dec 2014, 11:34

i've quite enjoyed watching it in a way, takes a bit of getting used to.

tderias has pretty much got it right though, city racing has always been a winner and this "zero emission" racing makes it much more possible