The Kimi Nascar Monster Cool Lounge

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: The Kimi Nascar Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Boudica » 26 May 2011, 19:43

Well so far so good, I wonder if Kimi could be faster in qualifying.

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 26 May 2011, 19:50

Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:
Kriss wrote:Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
:drool:Hope we get them as high-res :pray:

thanks also sleenie :hug: :hug:

kimi is doing fine :shhh: hopethis won´t be his last nascar weekend :pray: didn´t they say at the beginning that he´ll drive some other races as well (in october os so) :huh:
Perhaps they are also just being bit mysterious about the whole thing. Why would Kimi waste his time to test a cup car when he is driving in a nationwide race, if he isn't going to do anymore events? (Kimi rarely does anything without reason, I bet that Cup race might already be booked behind the scenes).

Oh and Kimi is looking mighty fit. :blush:
Last edited by Boudica on 27 May 2011, 03:34, edited 2 times in total.

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 26 May 2011, 20:00

Boudica wrote: kimi is doing fine :shhh: hopethis won´t be his last nascar weekend :pray: didn´t they say at the beginning that he´ll drive some other races as well (in october os so) :huh:
Perhaps they are also just being bit mysterious about the whole thing. Why would Kimi waste his time to test a cup car when he is driving in a nationwide race, if he isn't going to do anymore events? (Kimi rarely does anything without reason, I bet that Cup race might already be booked behind the scenes).[/quote]

I think he wants to have the maximum experience he can get in this short time, than goes back , and decides what next. He doesn't like to sit and mull over things, he rather goes out and tries. He had only 20 laps in the Cup car,so still makes sense to do this race, especialy after it's everything is prepared and payed.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

miezicat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by miezicat » 26 May 2011, 20:47

CUP: Raikkonen May Run Sonoma

Two-time Formula 1 champion Kimi Raikkonen said Friday he might run next month’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Infineon Raceway.

But Kyle Busch, who is providing two vehicles for Raikkonen’s NASCAR debut, said he is still owed money from the Finnish driver and will not be working with him going forward after this weekend unless and until he receives additional funding.

Raikkonen made his NASCAR debut last Friday night, finishing 15th in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He is entered in the Top Gear 300 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at CMS this weekend, piloting a Nemco Motorsports-owned Toyota built by Kyle Busch Motorsports. KBM also provided his truck last weekend.

Thursday afternoon at CMS, Raikkonen briefly met the press in a session that was announced at the last minute and lasted just 6 minutes and 29 seconds, less than half the customary time for NASCAR media availabilities.

Earlier in the week, Raikkonen tested with Robby Gordon Motorsports at Virginia International Raceway, leading to rumors he would enter the Infineon road race.

“Of course you always have it in mind to try to do it,” Raikkonen said of competing in the Cup Series. “The other thing is, is going to happen or not? I don’t know. Of course, I’m probably more keen to do road courses than ovals.”

Asked if we could consider Sonoma, Raikkonen added, “It would be nice to go and do it, but I don’t know if it’s going to happen. We’ll see what happens after this weekend. I have to go back (to Europe) and do my rally stuff.”

Busch initially said the plan was to run three to five races with Raikkonen, but that’s changed. “As far as the Sonoma race, we’ve had no discussions about Cup stuff,” Busch said. “As far as I know, this weekend is the last hurrah with Kimi.”

Asked what changed, Busch was blunt.

“What’s changed is the payment schedule,” Busch said. “The contract states we’re supposed to receive so much (money) and we have not. We’ve only received enough for these two races.”

That said, Busch has been impressed with Raikkonen’s on-track performance to date.

“I thought Kimi did a nice job last week,” Busch said. “Certainly, he gave the truck a good ride. ... He did a nice job with car control.”

As for the forecast for this weekend, Busch said, “What’s to be expected of him this weekend is certainly just to, again, try to run all the laps, try to make 300 miles in a Nationwide Series race, get a feel for what the car is like.”

Raikkonen said he will leave after the NASCAR Nationwide Series race and return to his home in Europe.
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-k ... CAR+RACING

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 26 May 2011, 21:46

It seems like Kimi is now a bit faster.

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 26 May 2011, 22:09

Kimi Räikkönen making Nationwide debut but uncertain about NASCAR future
CONCORD, N.C. – Kimi Raikkonen will make his Nationwide Series debut at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend, but as far as his future plans, the former Formula One champion said he was unsure whether he will return to NASCAR and when that return might come.

Raikkonen, who drove a truck for Kyle Busch Motorsports last week at Charlotte and then tested a Sprint Cup car for Robby Gordon Motorsports on Tuesday, will drive for Nemco Motorsports in a KBM-prepared Nationwide car this weekend in the Top Gear 300.

Whether the 31-year-old Finnish driver goes Cup racing remains to be seen.

“You always have in mind to try to do [Cup],” Raikkonen said Thursday prior to Nationwide practice. “Another thing is it going to happen or not. I don’t know.

“Of course I am probably more keen to the road courses than anything else. I leave Saturday as soon as the race is over back to Europe. I have other things to do. After that, I don’t know when I will be back.”

Raikkonen, whose primary racing job is competing for his own team in the World Rally Championship in Europe, crashed during his Cup test Tuesday at Virginia International Raceway. It didn’t give him much of a feel for whether to return to NASCAR to compete in the Cup event at Infineon Raceway next month.

“I just ran a bit wide and decided to go with the grass, but unfortunately there was a big hole or something in the grass so it destroyed the front end a bit,” Raikkonen said. “It was fun to drive it. … I probably ended up doing only 20 laps.

“We just put tires on the car. We didn’t do any changes. We didn’t have time. Like I said, it would be nice to go and do [that Cup race at Sonoma] but I don’t know if it is going to happen or not. I do this week and then I have to go back to do my Rally stuff and we’ll see if I come back.”

The original plan for Raikkonen, who has sponsorship from Perky Jerky and is being represented by the HMS Worldwide sports agency in his NASCAR effort, was to do three to five races for KBM in a truck. But team owner Kyle Busch said Friday that Raikkonen and his sponsors have only paid for the truck race last week and the Nationwide race.

“It's either up to Kimi or up to the financial people that run Kimi's business side of things and decide that they need to find the sponsorship funds in order to carry the experience for him further [with us],” Busch said.

Busch said he was pleased with Raikkonen’s debut last week – a 15th-place finish in the truck race.

“Certainly, he gave the truck a good ride,” Busch said. “It was really loose and he did a nice job with car control and everything else.”

Raikkonen said racing in traffic last week was fun and he enjoyed the NASCAR-style racing. He hopes that this weekend is a little easier for him.

“Once you do it once, you know much more how things go,” Raikkonen said. “I had no idea what we should do during [the race]. I know how to do restarts, but I didn’t know exactly how it goes because I haven’t really seen it or done it before.

“All those things I know now. It’s much easier to go for the second time.”
http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles ... uture.html

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 27 May 2011, 03:13

Carl Edwards about Kimi: "He definitely has some car contol. That is not lip service. I might have seen smoke off the right rear."

It is great that Carl Edwards noticed Kimi good driving but didn't really knew he was. Kimi is letting his driving do the talking!

Vida
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Vida » 27 May 2011, 04:53

Kriss wrote:Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
like it and love it... thanks guys...

anyone has the vid for the press conference?

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 27 May 2011, 05:01

Nate Ryan
Final Nationwide practice: Ricky Stenhouse Jr. fastest. Kimi Raikkonen is 18th. He ran 34 laps -- the last (176.229) was his best.
18th in final Nationwide practice. Qualifying is Saturday before the race.

dindi
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by dindi » 27 May 2011, 11:01

Kimi not paying Kyle Busch for more rides... sounds good to me. LOL :lol:

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 27 May 2011, 12:18

Kimi Räikkönen Interview after Practice at Nascar Nationwide Charlotte 2011
http://youtu.be/F26L-FXobeo

Kimi Räikkönen Final Practice at Nascar Nationwide Charlotte 2011
http://youtu.be/_3u8SWUV-UI

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 27 May 2011, 12:33

Vida

anyone has the vid for the press conference?
Here the Press Conference
http://youtu.be/BQiJsPhLKns

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 27 May 2011, 14:52

dindi wrote:Kimi not paying Kyle Busch for more rides... sounds good to me. LOL :lol:
:lol:
Raikkonen keen on road Cup race

By Diego Mejia Friday, May 27th 2011, 06:56 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen wants to take part in a NASCAR Sprint Cup road course race, following his test in a Robby Gordon Racing Toyota at Virginia International Raceway earlier this week.

The 2007 F1 world champion's test was hampered by an early off that damaged the nose of his car during the morning, and then rain in the afternoon.

Despite his limited running, the Finn enjoyed the test, which came just a few days after he finished 15th on his NASCAR debut in the Truck Series at Charlotte.

"We had few issues in the test with the Cup car," said Raikkonen. "We didn't do an awful lot of running in the morning and then in the afternoon we knew it was going to start raining. So I went out and just ran a bit wide and decided to go over the grass but there was a big hole or something in the grass so it destroyed the front a bit and then it started to rain anyhow.

"It was fun to drive it, the road course with that car."

Raikkonen was non-committal when asked if he will be taking part in a Sprint Cup race soon, but said he wants to try it and showed a preference for doing so on a road course.

NASCAR's top series visits Sears Point on June 26 - a date that does not clash with Raikkonen's World Rally Championship schedule, making it a likely choice for the Finn.

"Of course we have all this in mind, try to do it," said Raikkonen. "The other thing is it going to happen or not, I don't know.

"Of course I'm probably more keen to do those road courses than anything else.

"I'll leave [on] Saturday as soon as the [Charlotte Nationwide Series] race is over [and go] back to Europe. I have other things to do there, so after that I don't know when I will be back but I after that I have a rally in Greece and then some other rallies at least before I'll be back."

Kyle Busch, who is fielding a car through NEMCO Motorsports for Raikkonen this weekend in the Nationwide race Charlotte, had initially spoken about running him in about three to five Truck Series events.

However, he said on Thursday no further outings are currently planned and that joint plans for his Cup debut have not been discussed.

"We appreciate the guys from Kyle Busch Motorsports doing the building of the car and then for NEMCO Motorsports and them working on it here this week - along with us just trying to help them out in case there's any bugs," said Busch.

"As far as the Sonoma [Sears Point] race, we've had no discussions about Cup stuff at all. As far as I know, just this weekend is the last hoorah with Kimi unless he comes back and wants to do further races in NASCAR."

Busch added that there have been changes on his initial deal with Raikkonen.

"What's changed is the payment schedule," Busch said. "The contract states that we're supposed to receive so much and we have not. We've only received enough for these two races.

"It's either up to Kimi or up to the financial people that run Kimi's business side of things and decide that they need to find the sponsorship funds in order to carry the experience for him further."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91760

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 27 May 2011, 15:48

Raikkonen and Busch to part ways?
Kyle Busch may have been looking at Kimi Raikkonen as a way of expanding the Truck Series team he owns, but Kimi's ambitions are taking him in other directions.

When Kimi Raikkonen announced that he was going to try his hand at NASCAR, it seemed only right that he would pair with Kyle Busch Motorsports: who else but the Wild Thing would dare something as audacious as teaming up with the Iceman to bring a former F1 world champion to the States?

But despite a solid début with the team in the Truck Series race at Charlotte last week that saw him finish in 15th place and on the lead lap, plus KBM arranging an alliance with Joe Nemechek's NEMCO Motorsports to put Kimi in a Nationwide car this weekend, it seems that the budding alliance between Busch and Raikkonen may already have run its course.

The original plan had suggested up to five Truck races with KBM this year, with Raikkonen investing a chunk of his own change into the endeavour as well as bringing some big name, high value personal sponsors with him. But according to Busch, the money's not coming through as planned.

"What's changed is the payment schedule," Busch said. "The contract states we're supposed to receive so much, and we have not. We've only received enough for these two races.

"It's either up to Kimi or to the financial people that run Kimi's business side of things and decide they need to find the sponsorship funds in order to carry the experience for him further."

Rather than a lack of money, it's probably more a case of Kimi having to decide exactly what he wants to do next. Five Truck races might have seemed like a grand plan back when he started his Great American Adventure back in March, but now staying in trucks seems a little ... dull, especially to a former world champion who just wants to have some fun.

If Kimi decided he'd rather race in Nationwide - let alone Sprint Cup - instead of "wasting his time" down in Trucks, then he would have immediately outgrown KBM. Busch's team is an exclusively Truck Series operation at present, although it had eyes on expanding into Nationwide in due course - perhaps via tracking a more measured career progression for Raikkonen

For that reason, extending himself to put Raikkonen into Joe Nemechek's #87 in the Nationwide Series just about fitted Busch's plans, albeit at a stretch. What doesn't fit in at all is Raikkonen eyeing up a Sprint Cup ride.

"It would be nice to go and do it, but I don't know if it's going to happen or not," said Raikkonen, talking about the possibility of running the June 26 Sprint Cup Sonoma road race.

"As far as the Sonoma race, we've had no discussions about Cup stuff at all," said Busch, succinctly. "As far as I know, this weekend is the last hoorah with Kimi unless he wants to come back to do further races in NASCAR."

Raikkonen tried out a Sprint Cup ride on Tuesday on the road course at Virginia International Roadway commonly used by Sprint Cup drivers to repare for Sonoma events. Kimi got the loan of the Robby Gordon Motorsports #7 for the day, but it did not go well.

"Obviously it's what our goal was, to have a good test and see how it went," Gordon said. "Unfortunately, the test went bad." Raikkonen ran off road and severely damaged the nose of the car, resulting in an estimated two weeks' worth of damage. "That was the car that finished second last year at Sonoma. So that was our primary. We've got our work cut out for us."

Did the experience sour Kimi's taste for further NASCAR adventures? Despite the cost and inconvenience for Robby Gordon, he's still open to taking discussions with Raikkonen further, if the Finn is so inclined: "That doesn't mean we wouldn't do it still," said Gordon.

Raikkonen certainly has no shortage of opportunities in NASCAR if he wants to take them up. His initial hook-up with Kyle Busch has given him an entrée into the NASCAR scene and set him up with connections with Nemechek and Robby Gordon if he wants to pursue them. His track outings even caught the eye of the NASCAR man of the moment, Carl Edwards, who was on track for Raikkonen's Nationwide practice session début

"Who is that in the #87?" he enquired over the radio, suddenly aware of an unfamiliar driving style. "He was driving the wheels off it ... Then I saw Perky Jerky on it. He definitely has some car control for sure. That's not lip service."

So the doors to NASCAR are open - or at least ajar - for Kimi Raikkonen; but perhaps NASCAR isn't falling over itself to usher him in to quite the extent that Kimi hoped and expected? Or perhaps it's just not proving as much fun as he hoped it would be.

Either way, Kimi Raikkonen will return to Europe next week to consider his next move - whether to carry on the appearances with (and payments to) Kyle Busch Motorsports for some more Truck outings, or more likely whether to pursue something in Sprint Cup or Nationwide. Or maybe, nothing at all; maybe the land of the Perky Jerky just isn't to his taste after all.

Raikkonen's US manager Todd Hirschfeld put it best and most accurately earlier this week, when he said: "This is the truth: Kimi does what Kimi wants to do."
http://www.crash.net/nascar/news/169617 ... _ways.html