Rally Sweden 2011

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Rally Sweden 2011

Post by Soren » 15 Feb 2011, 23:11

Loiste wrote:
Soren wrote: :p
Soren, how did you like new cars to see them live compare to last years ones?
Hmm, good question Loiste. They sound great with the turbo and all. Not much difference there. The Fiestas dont look as mean as the Focus. (I drive a Focus myself so I may be biased.) The DS3 looks great.
The cars look like a real handful and it seems you need attack the corner and set the car up good ahead of the corner. You cant really steer yourself out of trouble anymore. I guess thats because the difflock or some differential at the rear is gone if Im not mistaken.

I wrote my Rally Sweden review if anyone is interested: http://desdirodeabike.wordpress.com/201 ... e-ice-one/
Join our feisty Kimi Raikkonen group on Facebook
Click and join :D
Click here to follow us on Twitter as well

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 15 Feb 2011, 23:31

Many thanks Soren!

Vers
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Vers » 16 Feb 2011, 10:54

Soren wrote:
Loiste wrote:
Soren wrote: :p
Soren, how did you like new cars to see them live compare to last years ones?
Hmm, good question Loiste. They sound great with the turbo and all. Not much difference there. The Fiestas dont look as mean as the Focus. (I drive a Focus myself so I may be biased.) The DS3 looks great.
The cars look like a real handful and it seems you need attack the corner and set the car up good ahead of the corner. You cant really steer yourself out of trouble anymore. I guess thats because the difflock or some differential at the rear is gone if Im not mistaken.

I wrote my Rally Sweden review if anyone is interested: http://desdirodeabike.wordpress.com/201 ... e-ice-one/
Awesome.

Now I really can't wait for the Neste Oil Rally...

I wish I could find some time and money to go to some other rally before that.

Denorth
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Denorth » 16 Feb 2011, 11:02

thank you Soren. as always your writing is good.
These Colours Don't Run!

Kimi, Always Kimi

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 17 Feb 2011, 23:38

Kimi Räikkönen Swedish Rally report
Kimi Raikkonen - WRC Rally Sweden 2011 Blog:

It felt cool to drive again after a long time and it was great to get a feeling with the new car. It was an okay weekend. We didn't have any major problems during the rally.

It looks like we are getting closer to the top. It's good since it means we have gone forward again. We do however know that we still have a lot to do.

We got to test the new car [the Citroen DS3 WRC] for only a day. Okay, the car felt good but when you have to race in difficult conditions right from the beginning, the start was only really a practice run for us. It was quite tricky when we spun and got a puncture, just like when driving on a circuit.

After that it started to go well. The driving was easier and the times came good, especially during the second day in the afternoon when I found I could relax a bit more.

Of course we are still in the learning stage. I have to pay even more attention to the notes. There weren't many corners that went wrong but there was a place that needed to be changed. If a situation like that comes up then it has always been tough to keep the car on the road. I just have to look more carefully at the notes in the future.

In Sweden our spins were limited to the one spot on Friday. Following that I didn't have to break sweat after the stage thinking "phew we managed to finish it". I'm fairly satisfied that we had a pretty normal drive to the finish.

After the rally you are always left with a feeling that it could have gone better. But it's cool when you have already learned something and improved. Let's just now see how the rest of the season goes.

The result is okay. I got drivers' points and some good points for our team. The gang did a good job and the car felt nice to drive all the time. It's quick and a bit smaller than last year's car. It kind of suits me better.

It's good to start the new season from here. Our next rally will be in Portugal and before that we will go testing to see how the car behaves with a gravel setup.

Kimi Räikkönen
http://www.rallybuzz.com/kimi-raikkonen ... -blog-011/

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 18 Feb 2011, 06:22

thanks Anelise :hug:

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 28 Feb 2011, 15:06

little low on uppdating but looking to chach up before mexico!

here is an oldie I think havent been here...
The Last Word: Rally Sweden

The Citroëns found the going tough as WRC for 2011 began, while Ford enjoyed a renaissance. So what other big talking points came out of Sweden?

It was all change on Rally Sweden: out with the old two-litre turbocharged World Rally Cars and in with the leaner, meaner and greener 1.6 WRCs.

While horsepower remains the same, at about 300bhp, torque is reduced by a dramatic 50 per cent. So what are they like to drive?

“You have to be a bit more committed than you could get away with in the past,” grinned Ford’s Mikko Hirvonen. “But personally speaking, I really enjoy that.”

That wasn’t the only thing. All the cars could have still benefited from a bit more development.

“I don’t think we’re favourites here,” said Citroën team boss Olivier Quesnel before the start. “We would definitely have liked some more testing.”

In the end, though, it wasn’t reliability but the elements that scuppered Citroën. By virtue of his championship exploits, Sébastien Loeb started first on the road. By the time he blasted into the first stage, snow had been falling solidly for 24 hours.

“There’s absolutely nothing at all I can do; I’m just sweeping the road clean for everyone else like a giant snowplough,” said the frustrated seven-time World Champion. “At times it feels like I’m going backwards.”

By the end of day one, Loeb was ninth – a situation that was as “unusual as a sober Finn” as one member of the press corps put it.

It was no big surprise that Hirvonen, the winner in Sweden last year, eventually claimed the honours, but the sensation of the rally was young Norwegian Mads Ostberg, who led for most of the first two days.

“I’m loving it!” said the 23-year-old, in his new Ford Fiesta WRC. “This is the best car I’ve ever driven. It’s never easy to drive these cars, but I’m really not pushing too hard.”

Given that he didn’t hit anything substantial over the three days, he was probably telling the truth. Jari-Matti Latvala eventually finished third on the first all-Ford podium for three years, but “every time I came round a corner, there seemed to be a snowbank with my name on it!” he reported. “I can’t remember a rally that’s been this exciting for a very long time.”

Loeb’s fellow Citroën Total World Rally team-mate Sébastien Ogier just missed out on a podium by 13.7 seconds, and he reckons he might have stood a chance of doing it had it not been for an unusual visibility problem. “The snow was hanging in the air a lot and, when it’s like that, it’s almost impossible to see properly,” he recounted. “It’s just like driving into a very white fog.”

Sweden may not have been the best event for the Citroën factory squad, but Red Bull’s flag was waving elsewhere with a brilliant win in the Super 2000 category from Patrik Sandell, who also finished an excellent 11th overall.

“I love my home rally and it was a lot of fun this year,” he said, co-driven for the first time by veteran navigator Staffan Parmander. “The most encouraging thing was how close our times were to the top World Rally Cars. I didn’t really expect that.”

In other news, there was a fine eighth place for Kimi Räikkönen – but not for the first time, the Iceman didn’t say much. And while Petter Solberg may have finished fifth overall, he won’t be allowed to drive in Sweden for the next two months, after being caught speeding on a road section. “I just got out of the car and told them: guilty as charged,” he confessed.
really hope JM hasnt become again a crash happy driver...