MotoGP 2011

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
SpliT
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: MotoGP 2011

Post by SpliT » 25 Oct 2011, 15:28

kasman
car driver
car driver

RIP Marco Simoncelli

Post by kasman » 26 Oct 2011, 00:46

Farewell... The San Carlo Gresini Honda press release issued after the death of Marco Simoncelli read, "Ciao Super Sic"

Paolo Simoncelli arrived at the scene of the crash as Marco was being lifted onto a stretcher and carried to the ambulance. According to AutoSport, he has told Italian media that criticism of the marshals is unfair.

He says the stretcher bearers, who fumbled the stretcher on their way to the ambulance, were not to blame for the outcome of the crash.

"I was thereabouts, but Marco was dead already. I was 10 metres away, but Marco was already dead, it changed nothing," Paulo told Italian media.

"I helped them. When they got back up and passed the stretcher over to my side of the guard rail I took the stretcher to place it in the ambulance and held Marco's hand and called him 'Ciao Marco', but he was gone already.

"There was nothing that could be done. Nothing would have changed in that case. As for the rest, maybe more (attention) is needed, but these people try to do their best, so it's useless ... but in our case Marco died on impact.

"They say God summons the best to heaven. I don't know. I wish that's how it is."

The grief-stricken father took the opportunity to praise the Italian, who was a beloved figure in his home nation and throughout the world.

"Marco was a very special person, and perhaps people have understood what he was like. If he had to swear he would, he was like that. Most of all he was honest, he was really pure," Paolo said.

"On top of that he was a warrior, and maybe that's why he died. Had he let the bike go ... but last Sunday he wanted to win. He was again the Marco we had at the beginning of the season, but now he knew what to do, he knew everything."

Greeted by hundreds of fans when he landed in Rome with his son's body, Paolo said: "Honestly I couldn't believe it. It would be bulls** if I said I'm happy, but it pleases me. We didn't realise all this, but it's a very nice thing.

"Tomorrow evening, after the end of the funeral, we'll be alone. It'll be terrible. But now I have you and all the people that come visit us. That can only please us.

"Marco was always available with all the journalists, as with all the people that would come to disturb him while he was eating. In fact he would scold me when I complained. That's how he was.

"Marco was never judged badly, he was always judged for what he was and for the way he presented himself. I loved him, and he loved me. Marco was great and that's it. What a shame.

"He needed everything around him to work. He needed Aligi Deganello - his guru and chief technician - his team, and his dad, who would piss him off sometimes, as he would say. Before the start we would shake hands and hug. I did that on Sunday too, but I guess I got something wrong. It didn't go as usual.

"He enjoyed all the simple things he had: he liked his house, his dog, the grass... in fact on Sunday he told me 'I'm tired, I want to go back home', because we had been away to prepare for Malaysia, which for him has always been difficult: nutrition, he took an ice bath to cool down before the race... It was perfect, he was sure he would do well. But he told me 'I want to go back home, dad.'"

Marco Simoncelli will be remembered in a private funeral in his home town of Coriano, Italy on Thursday afternoon

Marco SimoncelliDate of birth: January 20 1987
Place of birth: Cattolica, Italy
Nationality: Italian

Teams
MotoGP: Honda (2010-2011)
250cc: Gilera (2006-2009)
125cc: Aprilia (2002-2005)
Career
Races contested: 148
Wins: 14 (12 in 250cc, 2 in 125cc)
Podiums: 31 (2 in MotoGP, 22 on 250cc, 7 in 125cc)
Pole positions: 15 (2 in MotoGP, 10 in 250cc, 3 in 125cc)
Best MotoGP result:: 2nd in Australia, 2011
Last win: Australia, 2009 - 250cc
Last pole position: Dutch GP, 2011
250cc world champion - 2008
First GP: Czech Republic 2002
First pole position: Spain 2004
First fastest lap: Qatar 2005
First podium: Spain 2004
First win: Spain 2004

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 26 Oct 2011, 08:10

I can't believe it guys, the most horrible news i've heard in a while :(
RIP
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

Maili85
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Maili85 » 27 Oct 2011, 13:06

zoefrances
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by zoefrances » 08 Nov 2011, 18:09

great tribute to simoncelli at the valencian gp.