From the one who knows- Kaj Lindstrom

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Linda-Anne
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

From the one who knows- Kaj Lindstrom

Post by Linda-Anne » 07 Oct 2010, 17:24

Well here goes folks this is my first posting of a topic.

Been a bit dismayed at the level of F1 fans knocking Kimi's rally progress, so whilst I had a spare moment I stumbled on an interview Kaj did just before he did rally Finland with Kimi last year. I think it puts things into perspective brilliantly (so even a hardened Kimi moaner could understand it......if they chose to that is)>

Here it is and appologies if you have read it before.
http://www.wrc.com/news/exclusive-kaj-l ... ?fid=10583

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: From the one who knows- Kaj Lindstrom

Post by Moominpappa » 07 Oct 2010, 17:38

Thanks a lot Linda. I didn't read that before. I try ask some day from my neighbour about Kaj, they know each others :) For me it's hard to think that some other co-driver could be better to Kimi than Kaj. They are excellent team!
I miss a babysitter

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 07 Oct 2010, 17:58

Thanks Linda for sharing it.

You here it from the horse's mouth that how inclined kimi was towards Rallying back then in 09.
You also here from the one who matters as to what kind of sport WRC is. How difficult it is and what level of patience is required.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Lunna
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lunna » 07 Oct 2010, 20:25

Kaj´s review from Kimi's site :) lazy Kimi :sleep:
A French visit

First of all I have to admit the level of expections being quite high before the Rally d’Alsace in France. We are not speaking too much about this with Kimi beforehand, but, obviously, we had a good feeling for a good result in this brand new rally.

It was suppose to be a tarmac rally, but the weather made it quite different.

Cutting the corners made the roads worse and worse all the time. It was so full of mud and sand the you could not tell it being asphalt instead of gravel. Most likely, in the end of the day, we could have gone faster with the gravel tyres.

Well, it gave a different characteristics for the whole rally. The circumstances were tricky because of dark weather and because of very steep downhill sections. Actually it became worse and worse stage by stage. It’s was difficult and not only for us. While comparing our stage for example to Mikko Hirvonen, you could see him having the same problems like we did.

In day one we had a technical issue with the car. But it was solved and we had P7 after Friday. But after that we got too much extra program on Saturday. We slipped out of the road with the very slow speed. While it was mud all over the place, the car got stuck from the bottom on the edge of the ditch.

Il took some time to decide how to go from there. I tried my very best with my poor French to get a rope. Finally they found a piece of rope and with that we could pull the car to the road and keep on going again.

Obviously, the motivation was not the best of them all anymore after loosing half and hour to our competitors, so we just tried to focus on collecting good experience in these very tricky circumstances.

Then we had an other spin and this time the car was so deep in the gradient that we could not get it back anymore.

On Sunday there would have been only one proper stage to drive, so Kimi decided that’s it and we packed our things on Saturday evening and left for home. It was a sensible decision, while we could save the car and the engine for the next Rally Catalunya. Especially while we would not have learnt anymore of tarmac rally, that’s for sure.

Sebastien Loeb clinched one world title more on his account. He is there in the level of his own. We had a chant with Seb on Saturday evening in the hotel and, of course, we sent him a sms to congratulate him for the victory and for the championship.

Now we head for Spain. There will be at least two nice days on a real asphalt. Day one will be 70% on gravel and 30% on tarmac.

After two DNFs it’s time for us to finish that rally with good feeling from the beginning until the last special stage. The car is ready, the engine is ready – and so are we.

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 07 Oct 2010, 20:53

I must say that I really enjoy reading Kaj's articles. He has rally experience and he has good values of life at all.
I miss a babysitter

hiroshideath113
kart driver
kart driver

Post by hiroshideath113 » 08 Oct 2010, 03:38

I believe that Kaj is the best partner and the best guide for Kimi's journey of rally world.
He always supports Kimi and believes Kimi's potential.
I'm really happy about that, Tuen teita, Kaj!!!!! Flag:##

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 08 Oct 2010, 08:08

awwww finally a thread for Kaj. I was going to make one for him because he deserves it but I'm glad Linda-Anne opened one. :)

I think that too that Kaj is the best for Kimi. :) He's smart, he's calm, he's cool. The perfect co-driver for Kimi. Also, it helps too that they get along really well. So, all in all, that was the best decision. I don't think Kimi would have made so big progress in such a little time without Kaj's experience and presence.

Kaj rocks! :shhh:

hiroshideath113
kart driver
kart driver

Post by hiroshideath113 » 08 Oct 2010, 08:27

Kinga wrote:awwww finally a thread for Kaj. I was going to make one for him because he deserves it but I'm glad Linda-Anne opened one. :)

I think that too that Kaj is the best for Kimi. :) He's smart, he's calm, he's cool. The perfect co-driver for Kimi. Also, it helps too that they get along really well. So, all in all, that was the best decision. I don't think Kimi would have made so big progress in such a little time without Kaj's experience and presence.

Kaj rocks! :shhh:
Hi, Kinga,

Yeah, I 100% agree with your opinion! ...and sometimes Kaj is a good spokesman of Kimi's.
I would be really happy if we could see this duo again next year too.