Miscellanious rally-articles (interviews, blogs etc.)

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Miscellanious rally-articles (interviews, blogs etc.)

Post by Wolfie » 15 May 2010, 22:07

THOSE FAST KILOMETERS

Text by Juhani Melart, motorsport-reporter/Vauhdin Maailma
May 2010 (paper edition)

Nothing compensates more a young rally driver's development curve than the practice of driving fast kilometers.

At least Tuomo Nikkola came to this conclusion in his article 'What, can you also coach rally?'

- The best practice to drive is driving, Nikkola writes but reminds that driving on the same stages lowers the interest and is bad for concentration. One that also tones it down is that one doesn't want to risk breaking the machinery.

- Unfortunately a mediocre training in rally also brings mediocre results, Nikkola sums up and continues:

- In order to develop a routine level of fast driving requires thousands of kilometers per year, at least 2000 kilometers.

When you get about 700-900 kilometers in national rallies you should also add about 1100-1300 fast kilometers in your training program per year.

- These are the minimum amounts if you want to develop your career. The best would be to drive 2500-3000 fast kilometers per year, Nikkola hints to those who are aiming for the top.

That is something to think about for those with a limited budget.

And now when we are following with interest Kimi Räikkönen's field trip in the wondrous world of rally we can compare him with longtime F1-driver Martin Brundle's experience from the same field.

Brundle decided to participate in Britain's rally in 1999. When testing in Wales he was driving the same stage beside Carlos Sainz and Didier Auriol. When the day ended everybody were thrilled over Brundle's speed, even Brundle's experienced co-driver Arne Hertz; he was only half a second/mile slower than the champions!

But then the real rally started in rain and fog; the difference to the rally professionals grew up to 15 seconds/mile.

- Jesus, Brundle said with disbelief!

- Dammit, they went flat out with 180 km/h into the dark stages filled with fog when I could hardly see where I was going, Brundle shook his head.

- You can train as much as you want on snow and ice and mud in fog and rain but then in the race you have only one shot no matter what the circumstances are, Brundle pondered.

- That's when it became clear to me that these guys - rally drivers - have a level of skill that us track racers will never achieve.

After that day Martin Brundle saw rally professionals with new eyes:

- I think that rally drivers are the most perfect drivers in motorsport!

Is it any wonder then if Kimi's pace doesn't seem to be enough.
Last edited by Wolfie on 15 May 2010, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Miscellanious rally-related articles

Post by beefree88 » 15 May 2010, 22:16

Wolfie wrote:THOSE FAST KILOMETERS

Text by Juhani Melart, motorsport-reporter/Vauhdin Maailma
May 2010 (paper edition)

Nothing compensates more a young rally driver's development curve than the practice of driving fast kilometers.

At least Tuomo Nikkola came to this conclusion in his article 'What, can you also coach rally?'

- The best practice to drive is driving, Nikkola writes but reminds that driving on the same stages lowers the interest and is bad for concentration. One that also tones it down is that one doesn't want to risk breaking the machinery.

- Unfortunately a mediocre training in rally also brings mediocre results, Nikkola sums up and continues:

- In order to develop a routine level of fast driving requires thousands of kilometers per year, at least 2000 kilometers.

When you get about 700-900 kilometers in national rallies you should also add about 1100-1300 fast kilometers in your training program per year.

- These are the minimum amounts if you want to develop your career. The best would be to drive 2500-3000 fast kilometers per year, Nikkola hints to those who are aiming for the top.

That is something to think about for those with a limited budget.

And now when we are following with interest Kimi Räikkönen's field trip in the wondrous world of rally we can compare him with longtime F1-driver Martin Brundle's experience from the same field.

Brundle decided to participate in Britain's rally in 1999. When testing in Wales he was driving the same stage beside Carlos Sainz and Didier Auriol. When the day ended everybody were thrilled over Brundle's speed, even Brundle's experienced co-driver Arne Hertz; he was only half a second/mile slower than the champions!

But then the real rally started in rain and fog; the difference to the rally professionals grew up to 15 seconds/mile.

- Jesus, Brundle said with disbelief!

- Dammit, they went flat out with 180 km/h into the dark stages filled with fog when I could hardly see where I was going, Brundle shook his head.

- You can train as much as you want on snow and ice and mud in fog and rain but then in the race you have only one shot no matter what the circumstances are, Brundle pondered.

- That's when it became clear to me that these guys - rally drivers - have a level of skill that us track racers will never achieve.

After that day Martin Brundle saw rally professionals with new eyes:

- I think that rally drivers are the most perfect drivers in motorsport!

Is it any wonder then if Kimi's pace doesn't seem to be enough.
Thanks, that was interesting. I'm also wondering if Kimi's pace will be enough. It's a much much harder task than many believe. On the other hand I don't think any rally driver could do what Kimi is capable of on track when he's in the zone. Not even Loeb.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 15 May 2010, 22:33

It made me think about it too, beefree... Kind of reassuring that Brundle has done the same and in that sense Kimi is allright since wasn't he already half a second slower than Sordo in Lapland or do I remember wrong?

Hopefully this thread is okay since there is a loooong interview with Juha Kankkunen coming with some very interesting news about what he and Todt are planning although he can't say much, he just promised that changes are made and we will see them later.

It's very long so it might take a while before I finish it but it's worth waiting for, methinks the best thing ever was that Todt was elected as FIA's president. Like Kankkunen said: 'Todt is an independent person whereas Mosley was under Ecclestone's thumb and was only interested in F1'.

Go Todt :)

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 15 May 2010, 22:53

Wolfie wrote:It made me think about it too, beefree... Kind of reassuring that Brundle has done the same and in that sense Kimi is allright since wasn't he already half a second slower than Sordo in Lapland or do I remember wrong?

Hopefully this thread is okay since there is a loooong interview with Juha Kankkunen coming with some very interesting news about what he and Todt are planning although he can't say much, he just promised that changes are made and we will see them later.

It's very long so it might take a while before I finish it but it's worth waiting for, methinks the best thing ever was that Todt was elected as FIA's president. Like Kankkunen said: 'Todt is an independent person whereas Mosley was under Ecclestone's thumb and was only interested in F1'.

I trust Todt too. He made mirackles at Ferrari even if now everybody contributes most of them to Schumacher. It was Todt who forged again a top team from a chaotic shadow of that team once was.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 16 May 2010, 12:38

Wolfie wrote:It made me think about it too, beefree... Kind of reassuring that Brundle has done the same and in that sense Kimi is allright since wasn't he already half a second slower than Sordo in Lapland or do I remember wrong?

You are wonderful Wolfie!

Did you read that one 18 years old rally driver died in Finland last friday on stage one. :(
I miss a babysitter

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Miscellanious rally-articles (interviews, blogs etc.)

Post by Wolfie » 24 May 2010, 11:18

GOOD OLD TIMES BACK!

Text by Marko Mäkinen/Vauhdin Maailma
May 2010

4-time rally champion Juha Kankkunen is now working as Jean Todt's rally consultant. VM will tell how Todt and Kankkunen intend to bring back the good old times.

Jean Todt started working immediately after he was elected as FIA's president. Todt had a clear plan of how he would approach different genres. First thing Todt did was grab the phone and ask Juha Kankkunen and ex F1-driver Alexander Wurz to be his consultants and they didn't waste any time when setting up the meeting.

- The three of us sat for the first time in a meeting in Monaco only a week after Todt was elected, Juha Kankkunen tells and reminds that he isn't on FIA's payroll or working for FIA.

- My job is not to make regulations, my job is to keep Todt up to date and bring different suggestions of my own views based upon my own experience. Maybe you could call me a personal adviser.

Todt and Kankkunen are going to prove the old saying 'golden times will never return' wrong.

A tough and demanding boss

Kankkunen has had two rally-meetings with Todt in Paris after the meeting in Monaco. Their third scheduled meeting was cancelled because of the ash clouds over Europe.

Kankkunen emphasises that Todt is a rally man through thick and thin - he has afterall several years of experience on WRC-level as a co-driver in the 70's. Todt was on the top of his rally career in the 80's when he was Team Manager in Peugeot's B-group.

- Max Mosley was under Bernie Ecclestone's thumb and he only took care of F1. Todt again is such a tough guy that even Ecclestone can't tell him what to do. Todt understands what motorsport is about and he is an independent guy when it comes to making decisions, Kankkunen tells.

Kankkunen worked with Todt as his boss in Peugeot 1986.

What kind of a boss is Todt?

- He is a great guy. Very strict and very demanding as a boss but he remembers to thank you when it's due. Todt was able to get the spirit uplifted within the team, he could always hire the right people and he was equal to everybody. Todt is a fair and determined leader who has always had clear visions of how things should be taken care of.

- He showed in Ferrari how a chaotic team can be put back in posture and get them all to blow into the same coal. As a team manager Todt is like Michael Schumacher or Sébastien Loeb. You don't see many of those in F1 or WRC.

350 horsepowers into the rally engine

According to Juha Kankkunen even the fact that Todt contacted him tells that FIA's president is really worried about the state his favourite genre is today.

- The first thing Todt said to me during the first meeting was that 'rally has really gone into the woods'. He has followed rally very closely even during his time in F1. He said that 'rally is a great genre but it has gone into the wrong direction - this can't go on like this'.

Kankkunen tells that there are changes coming in WRC.

- I know what the changes are but because I have to keep them a secret I can't reveal them.

Kankkunen's own basic idea on his list of changes was to cut down the expenses and bring back the visibility.

- We need to cut down the costs. 10 rallies has to be enough, the cars have to look like racing cars and they have to have at least 350 horsepowers. That amount of horses will get the car going - 300 doesn't get a rally car going fast enough.

- If a rally car has 300 horsepowers, the car weighs 1250 kg, fuel tanks are full, spare tyres and -parts plus the guys inside, then the car just doesn't go anywhere. With 1-gear the tyres are spinning for a while, with 2- and 3-gears you can somehow go forward but when you put on 4-, 5- or 6-gear you are stuck. If we take 50 kg from the car away and put 50 more horsepowers then they will bring the crucial difference when you start to drive fast.

- The cars should also make noise and the engines get more revs. A small turbo and a bigger choke and then nobody would have to drive with a twiste. When the car is flashy and the engine is singing 8000-9000 r/min the audience will get exited also.

Kankkunen says that driving rally doesn't look like much if the cars don't move and you drive them with the engine's twists.

- I'm sure you can get a good rally engine out of a 1,6 L -machine as long as the turbo's air-sucking hole is big enough. Even BMW built in the beginning of 80's a F1-engine with 1000 horsepowers out of a 1,4 L -machine.

More recce-times

Juha Kankkunen wants of course more car manufacturers and he wants especially new good privateers.

- Rally history knows paralell privateers like Grifone, Kronos, Jolly Club etc.; through these we can drive in young promising drivers who can this way even become champions in rally like Massimo Biasion and Didier Auriol did. Privateers are very important for rally.

- Here Tommi Mäkinen for example could easily put up a team in WRC if only the calendar, technical regulations, costs etc. are in order.

Kankkunen is especially concerned about how the regulations these days are built against young and promising rally drivers.

- There are too many WRC-rallies. Ten rallies should be enough. We should increase the amount of reccing on WRC-level so that the youngsters could faster collect experience from the roads. For example four times per stage would be sufficient. A rally event could as a whole take for example two weeks. If there's 10 rallies then 140 days per year isn't much.

- More testing should also be allowed, between maintenance service there should be a normal maintenance for 20 minutes where parts that need to be changed could be changed as much as the time allows it. I don't know where we save when the rally ends so that the car doesn't for example have the real kind of part in it. I mean, what all that these current regulations still don't have is that the consumation of fuel isn't allowed to exceed 10 liters/100 km, Kankkunen jokes.

Getting rid of the same concept

Juha Kankkunen also wants the front cars back in rally.

- Absolutely. It's a question of safety and we shouldn't compromise when it comes to safety. Rallies should be built up taking country in consideration and not take the same concept to every place. Each rally should have their own character, not the same format.

- I would like to give more possibilites to the driver's own thinking, judgment and strategy. Rally shouldn't just be driving with the foot on the pedal. You also need to be smart so that you get to cross the finish line without technical problems.

According to Kankkunen politics and money have sadly had a big impact especially when it comes to the WRC-calendar.

- If we proceed with money in front of us we forget about the sport. In every decision one should always first remember what the matter really is about. Rally organisers can't be engraved in stone for years and years. If some rally isn't worth the WRC-serie then it can be changed into another one the next year.

According to Kankkunen there should neither be two competing series at the same time.

- WRC- and IRC-series should somehow be merged so that we get the car manufacturers to give their input to the same serie. Merging won't be easy but some concept should be invented. Together we would have more strenght.

- I just wonder how it even has been allowed for the situation to end up like this. But I think F1 was not far away from ending up in two series some time ago, Kankkunen reminds.

Loeb is already escaping

Kankkunen doesn't expect any surprises from this year's WRC-serie. Loeb's three victories in a row was an expected thing.

- The others are still so much behind Loeb that it's still not very realistic to go after the championship. We are now living Loeb's era and if one wants to end his era it should be done by driving.

- I don't believe that Loeb's speed is going to disappear anywhere during the next years. He will just run out of motivation and end his career that way. The time will come when he simply just hasn't the energy to squeeze, concentrate, take bold risks and drive a long season from beginning to end.

- You win the championship when you learn to drive fully through the whole long season without making mistakes. Loeb has already drove fully for so many years - maybe with the exception of last season - that he knows for sure how to do it. Mikko and Jari-Matti plus Daniel Sordo and Sébastien Ogier are only reaching for their first perfect and clean season and by the way it looks now, it won't happen this year either.

5-7 car manufacturers

Kankkunen reminds that car manufacturers haven't fortunately deserted rally completely. There are more than one car manufacturer who is thinking at this moment about participating in WRC and many have plans.

- Along with the names circling in the publicity there is one Japanese car manufacturer who has plans and it's a good thing. My personal opinion is that you should get, by force if needed, an Italian car manufacturer, whether it's Lancia, Fiat or Alfa-Romeo. It would bring some color to the rally world in a completely different way.

- I don't believe that we will see any attack next year but for the season after that 5-7 car manufacturers might be within the limits of possibility. If we would have 20 main team cars on the starting line we would get some hassle into the business, hassle that has been gone for a long time.

A more brighter future for rally requires according to Kankkunen clear rules from FIA and lines drawn long into the future.

- We have to know long beforehand how many rallies we are driving and how many years the technical rules remain unchanged. If we bring more plans far to the future, then I'm sure that the car manufacturers will come back.

Is it worth for a young promising driver to invest in his rally career even though he could get other driving jobs from elsewhere in the future?

- If the suggestions for changes are accepted then absolutely yes.

Juha Kankkunen says that Kimi coming to WRC saved a lot.

- Kimi drives excellently, hats off to him. Kimi's situation is exactly the same situation other extremely talented young drivers have: too much time and money is spent with current regulations so that they could get the experience they need. No matter how talented the driver is, he has to drive for a too long time before achieving enough of experience so that he can start challenging the lead.

- Kimi's decision to learn to drive with Loeb's setups was an extremely sensible and smart thing - because you don't get to test these days. And when Kimi doesn't even have any experience from a WRC-car it's important for him to concentrate only on the pace notes and driving and learn to drive with a car that can't have that bad setups.

Daniel Sordo has sometimes said that he would have to participate ten times in Finland's rally so that he would get the same experience from Jyväskylä's roads as Carlos Sainz got during his learning period in the 80's.

- It's a good comparison. Even top talented drivers in rally have too many years ahead of them before they get the same level of experience top drivers have. And this has to change, Juha Kankkunen says.

Acropolis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Acropolis » 24 May 2010, 11:28

Wolfie you are just marvelous...you are doing all this work for us to enjoy...
I don't know how many times we should thank you.....

Thanks to the n power with n approaching infinity!!!!!!!

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 24 May 2010, 11:39

Acropolis wrote:Wolfie you are just marvelous...you are doing all this work for us to enjoy...

Thank you Acropolis but no need for it - these articles aren't much fun if there's nobody to discuss them with :zz:

Imagine what all changes might happen? Merging WRC and IRC?

And Kankkunen implying that it's Mosley's fault for letting it fall into the state it is today - it's all about money and F1 - Jean Todt will be a good man in FIA :cool:

And which Japanese manufacturer is he talking about? Someone who has not been in the rumours?

Can't wait for it all to happen :thumbsup:

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 24 May 2010, 12:09

Thank you very much Wolfie!

Kankkunen told some good points. One was missing: how get better TV visibility. In my mind there is potential - of course rally day is too long and hard to get online all time but some (3-4) 30-45 min online pieces could shown in every day.
I miss a babysitter

apple
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by apple » 24 May 2010, 13:35

Wolfie wrote:
Acropolis wrote:Wolfie you are just marvelous...you are doing all this work for us to enjoy...

Thank you Acropolis but no need for it - these articles aren't much fun if there's nobody to discuss them with :zz:

And Kankkunen implying that it's Mosley's fault for letting it fall into the state it is today - it's all about money and F1 - Jean Todt will be a good man in FIA :cool:

And which Japanese manufacturer is he talking about? Someone who has not been in the rumours?

Thanks Nicole for the great article :shhh:
I believe it could be Toyota or Subaru. Subaru has made a 2000 series car and Toyota is looking for other than F1 to race.
And how about Proton?
These changes sound good, I am absolutely thrilled if the horsepowers go up to 350! Real racing talk with car noise also!
Kimi could like that a lot but how fast are these changes coming?

Dracaena
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dracaena » 24 May 2010, 15:18

Oooh, this article made me very happy :). Such good things to come for WRC, let's hope that their plans work out :pray:.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 24 May 2010, 21:58

Moominpappa wrote:Thank you very much Wolfie!

Kankkunen told some good points. One was missing: how get better TV visibility. In my mind there is potential - of course rally day is too long and hard to get online all time but some (3-4) 30-45 min online pieces could shown in every day.
Kankkunen doesn't have much to say about that, it's North One/Simon Long who is in charge of the visibility.

The last thing I heard Simon Long say was that in the future it would be possible to follow WRC through Youtube - live :shhh:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 24 May 2010, 22:01

apple wrote:
Wolfie wrote:

Thanks Nicole for the great article :shhh:
I believe it could be Toyota or Subaru. Subaru has made a 2000 series car and Toyota is looking for other than F1 to race.
And how about Proton?
These changes sound good, I am absolutely thrilled if the horsepowers go up to 350! Real racing talk with car noise also!
Kimi could like that a lot but how fast are these changes coming?
Thanks Apple, it could be Toyota....

The changes will come next season as far as I understood. I could imagine something like major changes next season while they would finetune them so that season 2012 would be the real thing :huh:

@ Dracaena, what is the story behind your lovely username :)

Dracaena
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dracaena » 25 May 2010, 20:11

Wolfie wrote:@ Dracaena, what is the story behind your lovely username :)
Let's say that I have "a few" house plants, including several dragon trees (Dracaenas). Thought it was cool that Dracaena means female dragon (even though it in no way describes my personality, if anything I'm an anti-Dracaena :roll::).