The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 3017
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 08:48

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Mar » 29 Mar 2011, 18:43

sammyosammy wrote:The World Champion in F1, driving at the highest possible level of rallying. The one owning a moto-cross team, joining in Nascar. Can´t You people see; the guy does whatever he wants to. There´s two alternatives; he really don´t give a sh*t or... he reaaaally does and there´s a plan. Anyway, I´m done with figuring out, I´ll just enjoy.

(btw, how would it sound; a F1-team called Ice1Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )


But I'm very, very worried about that Gillett guy :fear:

User avatar
Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 4316
Joined: 09 Apr 2010, 09:47

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Kriss » 29 Mar 2011, 18:45

As long as he doing it because he has a lot of free time I don't mind.
As long as he doing it for money to support his team in WRC I don't mind.
The question is what will he do in 2012?
I can not imagine that he will leave rally. Kaj and Kimi had a 3-4 year plan to achieve something. So far they are doing OK.
It would be a verrrry foolish thing to try something new again and again. :huh:

User avatar
Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1074
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 00:22

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Boudica » 29 Mar 2011, 18:45

Soren wrote:Here is my 2 cents of the ordeal, what I think. The WRC season has very few rallies in it. 13 this year where Kimi competes in 10 of them. That leaves a whole heap of time in between to do things - like for instance NASCAR. And to put it bluntly, thats where the money is these days. Its a money making machine - even in these recession times. So if Kimi wants to combine money making with racing fun to fund his rally team so he can go to ALL 13 rallies in the future, that would be the way to do it. Besides, you can count on him getting a deal where he has nothing to lose while he gives it a go. He is not gonna do all the races anyway. They race pretty much every frickin weekend anyway. Also - its live and in HD :thumbsup:

But he is going to get a personality change if he is to do what the NASCAR drivers do for their sponsors. Every other interview they give they are pretty much obliged to mention a couple of their sponsors in between sentences. Either that or he does his own thing as usual and somehow gets away with it :)
I guess my last 2 years of watching NASCAR and getting into the series, rules and drivers are finally paying off :shhh:
If this isnt some kind of sick joke. I say bring it on. I wanna see Kimi raise a lot of US eyebrows on the "normal" tracks. Flag:##


Honestly I am finding it strange that people are so against this idea. Kimi will not is going to leave rally, there is only 13 rallies a year and he is used to a much busier schedule. So I can see nothing wrong with Kimi doing Nascar part time. Nascar also has excellent coverage and are very fan friendly compared to WRC and even F1, which is something people have complained about with WRC.

To be a full Nascar driver you have to live in the US for more then 180 days a year and pay taxes or something, so it is obvious that Kimi will not be doing this full time. But it will give him some extra PR.
Image

User avatar
Claudie_Schnaudie
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 2693
Joined: 09 Apr 2010, 18:30
Location: Schlaaaaand

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Claudie_Schnaudie » 29 Mar 2011, 18:47

Boudica wrote:
Soren wrote:Here is my 2 cents of the ordeal, what I think. The WRC season has very few rallies in it. 13 this year where Kimi competes in 10 of them. That leaves a whole heap of time in between to do things - like for instance NASCAR. And to put it bluntly, thats where the money is these days. Its a money making machine - even in these recession times. So if Kimi wants to combine money making with racing fun to fund his rally team so he can go to ALL 13 rallies in the future, that would be the way to do it. Besides, you can count on him getting a deal where he has nothing to lose while he gives it a go. He is not gonna do all the races anyway. They race pretty much every frickin weekend anyway. Also - its live and in HD :thumbsup:

But he is going to get a personality change if he is to do what the NASCAR drivers do for their sponsors. Every other interview they give they are pretty much obliged to mention a couple of their sponsors in between sentences. Either that or he does his own thing as usual and somehow gets away with it :)
I guess my last 2 years of watching NASCAR and getting into the series, rules and drivers are finally paying off :shhh:
If this isnt some kind of sick joke. I say bring it on. I wanna see Kimi raise a lot of US eyebrows on the "normal" tracks. Flag:##


Honestly I am finding it strange that people are so against this idea. Kimi will not is going to leave rally, there is only 13 rallies a year and he is used to a much busier schedule. So I can see nothing wrong with Kimi doing Nascar part time. Nascar also has excellent coverage and are very fan friendly compared to WRC and even F1, which is something people have complained about with WRC.

To be a full Nascar driver you have to live in the US for more then 180 days a year and pay taxes or something, so it is obvious that Kimi will not be doing this full time. But it will give him some extra PR.


+1

And so far nothing seems to be signed for next year! So we all should relax a little bit! :D
Kimi Kimi gimme just a little smile :)

User avatar
Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 4316
Joined: 09 Apr 2010, 09:47

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Kriss » 29 Mar 2011, 18:48

sammyosammy wrote:The World Champion in F1, driving at the highest possible level of rallying. The one owning a moto-cross team, joining in Nascar. Can´t You people see; the guy does whatever he wants to. There´s two alternatives; he really don´t give a sh*t or... he reaaaally does and there´s a plan. Anyway, I´m done with figuring out, I´ll just enjoy.

(btw, how would it sound; a F1-team called Ice1Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )


nothing would suprise me anymore :lol:

User avatar
Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1074
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 00:22

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Boudica » 29 Mar 2011, 18:49

sleenster wrote:
Former-Formula 1 Champion Kimi Raikkonen in Talks to Join Nascar Team

Kimi Raikkonen, the 2007 Formula One champion, is considering an offer to join a team in the Nascar auto-racing series, his agent David Robertson said.

Robertson declined to identify the team the 31-year-old Finn was talking to.

“Negotiations are ongoing but nothing is guaranteed,” Robertson said by telephone. “Somebody had come to us with an offer and we are considering it.”

Raikkonen is set to join a new team, ICE1 Racing, in the Truck series before moving to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup categories, Autosport.com reported, citing Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper.

One of the team’s partners is Foster Gillett, the son of George Gillett, according to Autosport.com. George Gillett is the former owner of the Liverpool soccer team and the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team.

Raikkonen was the top-earning athlete after golfer Tiger Woods in 2008 with $45 million in income, according to Forbes magazine.

He was dropped by Ferrari after the 2009 season and left Formula One to compete in the World Rally Championship for Citroen last year. Raikkonen remains committed to his contract in the rally series, Robertson said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-2 ... -team.html


From this article and the quotes from the Robertsons it doesn't seem like such a sure thing as it has been made out. ''hmm''
Image

User avatar
Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1074
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 00:22

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Boudica » 29 Mar 2011, 18:51

Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:
Boudica wrote:
Soren wrote:Here is my 2 cents of the ordeal, what I think. The WRC season has very few rallies in it. 13 this year where Kimi competes in 10 of them. That leaves a whole heap of time in between to do things - like for instance NASCAR. And to put it bluntly, thats where the money is these days. Its a money making machine - even in these recession times. So if Kimi wants to combine money making with racing fun to fund his rally team so he can go to ALL 13 rallies in the future, that would be the way to do it. Besides, you can count on him getting a deal where he has nothing to lose while he gives it a go. He is not gonna do all the races anyway. They race pretty much every frickin weekend anyway. Also - its live and in HD :thumbsup:

But he is going to get a personality change if he is to do what the NASCAR drivers do for their sponsors. Every other interview they give they are pretty much obliged to mention a couple of their sponsors in between sentences. Either that or he does his own thing as usual and somehow gets away with it :)
I guess my last 2 years of watching NASCAR and getting into the series, rules and drivers are finally paying off :shhh:
If this isnt some kind of sick joke. I say bring it on. I wanna see Kimi raise a lot of US eyebrows on the "normal" tracks. Flag:##


Honestly I am finding it strange that people are so against this idea. Kimi will not is going to leave rally, there is only 13 rallies a year and he is used to a much busier schedule. So I can see nothing wrong with Kimi doing Nascar part time. Nascar also has excellent coverage and are very fan friendly compared to WRC and even F1, which is something people have complained about with WRC.

To be a full Nascar driver you have to live in the US for more then 180 days a year and pay taxes or something, so it is obvious that Kimi will not be doing this full time. But it will give him some extra PR.


+1

And so far nothing seems to be signed for next year! So we all should relax a little bit! :D


I am wondering if Kimi isn't perhaps trying to tap onto the same market as Ken Block.
Image

User avatar
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend
Posts: 23702
Joined: 16 Sep 2006, 15:50
Location: North Pole
Contact:

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by iceman1 » 29 Mar 2011, 18:53

Mar wrote:Front page of Cadena Ser, the most important Spanish nation wide radio station:

Image


And on F1ARAB - Biggest Formula 1 website in Middle east.

Image

:p

User avatar
f194girl
Kart Champion
Kart Champion
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 08:45
Location: Germany

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by f194girl » 29 Mar 2011, 19:05

Just read the news a few minutes ago. I´m still torn what I should think about it... Have to sleep about it...

Vers
Kart Champion
Kart Champion
Posts: 123
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 18:41
Location: Finland

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Vers » 29 Mar 2011, 19:57

Boudica wrote:
Soren wrote:Here is my 2 cents of the ordeal, what I think. The WRC season has very few rallies in it. 13 this year where Kimi competes in 10 of them. That leaves a whole heap of time in between to do things - like for instance NASCAR. And to put it bluntly, thats where the money is these days. Its a money making machine - even in these recession times. So if Kimi wants to combine money making with racing fun to fund his rally team so he can go to ALL 13 rallies in the future, that would be the way to do it. Besides, you can count on him getting a deal where he has nothing to lose while he gives it a go. He is not gonna do all the races anyway. They race pretty much every frickin weekend anyway. Also - its live and in HD :thumbsup:

But he is going to get a personality change if he is to do what the NASCAR drivers do for their sponsors. Every other interview they give they are pretty much obliged to mention a couple of their sponsors in between sentences. Either that or he does his own thing as usual and somehow gets away with it :)
I guess my last 2 years of watching NASCAR and getting into the series, rules and drivers are finally paying off :shhh:
If this isnt some kind of sick joke. I say bring it on. I wanna see Kimi raise a lot of US eyebrows on the "normal" tracks. Flag:##


Honestly I am finding it strange that people are so against this idea. Kimi will not is going to leave rally, there is only 13 rallies a year and he is used to a much busier schedule. So I can see nothing wrong with Kimi doing Nascar part time. Nascar also has excellent coverage and are very fan friendly compared to WRC and even F1, which is something people have complained about with WRC.

To be a full Nascar driver you have to live in the US for more then 180 days a year and pay taxes or something, so it is obvious that Kimi will not be doing this full time. But it will give him some extra PR.


Exactly.

I often see people saying how they can't wait to see him in the next rally etc. Well, now they have chance to see him race much more often.

I've never watched a NASCAR race but surely it can't be too bad considering how popular it is in the USA. I'm sure you all will find it interesting when you see Kimi going wheel to wheel with other drivers.

:thumbsup:

User avatar
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 5553
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 18:01

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by sleenster » 30 Mar 2011, 00:09

Never heard of him before this, but didn't realize how truly awful this Foster Gillett guy seems :blink:

Kimi Raikkonen, what are you thinking?

It read early like an April Fool's joke—a few days early.

Former Formula 1 champion Kimi Raikkonen told a newspaper in his native Finland that he would try his hand at NASCAR racing—with Foster Gillett as a partner in his ICE-1 Racing team.

If this is true, and not an elaborate hoax, Raikkonen would be wise to be wary.

Gillett ran the day-to-day operations at Richard Petty Motorsports last year and ran the organization into the ground. Foster and his father, George Gillett, left hundreds of creditors and former employees holding the bag at RPM.

This is the same Foster Gillett who introduced himself to driver Carl Edwards by trying to "borrow" Edwards' four-wheeler in the driver/owner coach lot at Homestead—without permission.

"I hear my little Polaris Razor start up—I hear the exhaust start up," Edwards told Sporting News the day after the incident in November 2009. "'Who's in my four-wheeler?' So I run out the door, and here's these two guys—and I don't know who they are—and they're getting ready to take off. I say, 'Hey, hey, who are you?'"

One of the guys was Foster Gillett, but that was a mere peccadillo compared with some of the larger consternation the Gillett family has left in its wake.

The Gilletts are hated in England for the bungling of their ownership/management of the Liverpool soccer side in the English Premier League. In 2008, George Gillett spoke of death threats against his family from the club's fans, threats Gillett said arose primarily from comments made by his estranged partner in the team, Texas billionaire Tom Hicks.

George Gillett didn't win many friends in Montreal when, according to Forbes, he leveraged the Bell Centre for $240 million after acquiring 80.1-percent interest in the Canadiens, as well as the building. A reported $72 million of that money found its way to Gillett's pocket as a dividend.

Ultimately, Gillett sold the Canadiens to the Molson family for a tidy profit. He wasn't as fortunate in Liverpool, where he lost the team to John Henry's New England Sports Ventures in a forced sale through the Royal Bank of Scotland, which had loaned more than $350 million to Gillett and Hicks.

Some reports describe Foster Gillett as an investor in the deal with Raikkonen. With what money? Ray Evernham recently sued two companies owned by George Gillett for $19.2 million Evernham alleges is owed from the original sale of majority interest in Evernham Motorsports to Gillett.

Gillett walked away from a reported $90 million loan from Wachovia/Wells Fargo that was used to purchase Evernham Motorsports, which became RPM after a merger with Petty Holdings. Investors Andrew Murstein and Douglas Bergeron bought the loan for pennies on the dollar ($11 million, according to a Forbes report), and after Richard Petty made a substantial investment of his own, the company returned to solvency.

NASCAR will welcome Raikkonen with open arms. The Finnish driver is a bona fide superstar, and if he follows the plan of starting in the Camping World Truck and Nationwide Series before making a decision about competing in Sprint Cup, he's approaching the transition in a prudent way.

One has to wonder, though, if there's any NASCAR news in Finland. Due diligence should have squelched involvement by Foster Gillett before it started.

Richard Petty barely escaped having his name and reputation permanently sullied through association with the Gillett family.

Raikkonen doesn't need to take the same risk—and he doesn't need to leave any four-wheelers sitting around after dark.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... u-thinking
Last edited by sleenster on 30 Mar 2011, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

arale
kart driver
kart driver
Posts: 41
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 23:27

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by arale » 30 Mar 2011, 00:27

Some Liverpool/NASCAR fans told me that the Gillettes are jerks in business. Run Kimi run!

mikidutzame
car driver
car driver
Posts: 24
Joined: 11 Jun 2010, 18:43

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by mikidutzame » 30 Mar 2011, 00:39

guys relax, i think it's fake. maybe someone hyjacked TS website or maybe is an april's fools warmup. I've done some research on nascar sites, including the official one and its forums and no sign of raikkonen and this news. besides, i don't think david is that stupid to colaborate with that gillett guy... I think it is all staged....

User avatar
Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1074
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 00:22

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Boudica » 30 Mar 2011, 03:30

mikidutzame wrote:guys relax, i think it's fake. maybe someone hyjacked TS website or maybe is an april's fools warmup. I've done some research on nascar sites, including the official one and its forums and no sign of raikkonen and this news. besides, i don't think david is that stupid to colaborate with that gillett guy... I think it is all staged....


I have seen on twitter some people are saying the rumours might not be true.
Image

User avatar
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 5553
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 18:01

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by sleenster » 30 Mar 2011, 04:18

I have no idea what to believe now :blink: but this is from the senior VP of NASCAR himself
But he says Kimi sent in an application to drive and his driver resume OMG [help]

Raikkonen looking into racing in NASCAR

Updated Mar 29, 2011 11:19 PM ET

Don’t adjust your computer screen, the Kimi Raikkonen rumor to race in NASCAR is not an early April Fools prank.

Raikkonen, the 2007 Formula One champion, has made sincere inquiries with several teams. According to those familiar with the situation, Raikkonen would run in the Camping World Truck Series with aspirations of competing in Sprint Cup by the end of the season.

On Tuesday, news broke from Turun Sanomat in Finland that Raikkonen would make his stock car debut this summer and continue racing World Rally Championship cars as well. The story mentioned a partnership with former NASCAR team owner Foster Gillett in a collaboration named ICE1 Racing.

Gillett accompanied Raikkonen at Homestead last November before his family parted ways with Richard Petty Motorsports. One owner who had been approached by the team said he was offered $450,000 per race for five races including Martinsville, Daytona, Homestead and both road courses (Sonoma and Watkins Glen).

NASCAR senior vice president Steve O’Donnell confirmed on Twitter Tuesday evening that Raikkonen “has definitely sent in app to drive” but car and ownership details were “unknown." While there have been inquiries to many teams, sources say discussions have yet to reach the manufacturer level.

Raikkonnen, 31, competed in F1 from 2001 to 2009. He posted 18 victories and 62 podium appearances.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/k ... car-032911





Here are the relevant tweets:
18Winning wrote:@odsteve the whole Kimi Raikkonen story appears that it might be an elaborate hoax, story will need much more confirmation

odsteve wrote:@18Winning he has definitely sent in app to drive, as for car and ownership-unknown
http://twitter.com/odsteve/status/52889235111419905


CaptThunder wrote:@18Winning @CaptThunder @odsteve when did he file steve?

odsteve wrote:@CaptThunder @18winning sent driver resume in last week, has not entered a race though
http://twitter.com/odsteve/status/52897747757576192

Post Reply