The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
realms
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Kimi Red Bull Rally Monster

Post by realms » 20 Apr 2010, 08:01

Moominpappa wrote:
Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:
Those links don´t work for me :(
If you try with Firefox you might need some add on. How about IE?
How about ' right click - save target/link as ' ... That should work

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 20 Apr 2010, 08:39

Soren wrote:What up guys :)
Another forum joined, another place to hang out :D

I am looking for an article. It was posted on the other forum I think but I was shocked to see that the topic was not only closed but completely deleted? Thats pretty crazy.

Maybe Wolfie or some of you others remember it. It has a segment where it says that Kimi has complained to Kaj that he doesnt feel that the car really "goes". As in - feels slow compared to what he is used to. I think it was way back around Sweden time. Or maybe even leading up to Sweden.
I know its a lot to ask, but maybe someone remembers :)
Hello Sören :hug:

Yes, a lot of articles went missing after they deleted the thread :<>:

I'm not sure if this is the one but I'll put it here anyway ''hmm''

Rally Turkey was so exciting that I had to take a break from it for a day and concentrate on other things, it was intense :lol:
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 20 Apr 2010, 08:42

http://www.apu.fi/ihmiset/article162307-1.html

THE GREAT SILENT ONE
text Teppo Kuittinen
photos Ossi Ahola

Rally. The international rallypeople are already used to unusually talkative Finnish rallydrivers. Now they are confused with Kimi Räikkönen - he is just like a common silent Finn. Apu interviewed a bunch of rally experts in Rally Sweden. They weren't surprised by Räikkönen's speed.

The photographers who travel around the world asked each other:

– Is he stupid?

The reactions of foreign rally reporters also told much:

– Ooh la la!

One French reporter manages to get a two sentenced reply. Of course from Kimi Räikkönen.

Räikkönen has spent the biggest part of his career in car races where he is surrounded by tens of photographers and reporters. He hates these kind of situations.

The Finn learned very quickly how to act while the cameras flashed around him on the F1-paddock. He had to come in front of photographers and reporters always when he walked from the paddock to the motorhome which was built inside the truck.

He always strided through this repulsive distance with a fast pace. The photographers had to either give room for him or get walked over by him. Räikkönen kept looking down. When squeezed by the camera lenses and photographers he created his own small space.

In this small bubble Räikkönen was left in peace. He only stepped out of his own world for a moment if some photographer pushed him in accident. After F1 changed into rally they said that Kimi Räikkönen has changed.

– Kimi hasn't changed a bit, Riku Kuvaja said on Rally Sweden's paddock.

Apparently not. Räikkönen strides back and forth Citroen's truck and the rallycar with such a speed that nobody has time to ask him anything. When Räikkönen finishes a stage he doesn't open the door so that the reporters can't ask him anything. He also stayed in the car in the service park. Kaj Lindström had to do all the talking.

A French reporter fishing for a short answer got lucky since Räikkönen had to go and get his coat from the trunk on Saturday evening. During this trip Räikkönen gave all and all less than five comments to a couple of reporters.

The international rallypeople are used to unusually talkative Finns. Mikko Hirvonen and Jari-Matti Latvala are modern sportsmen who are always ready to comment on their performances.

Many of them remember the cracks of Marcus Grönholm, Tommi Mäkinen, Juha Kankkunen & co. The first Finnish rally world champion Ari Vatanen talked himself into the Europarliament - as France's representative.

Kimi Räikkönen breaks all possible rallypeople's unwritten rules. This alone has got reporters nervous - even some Finnish reporters.

– What is Kimi's problem with the media? the reporters ask Citroen's people on the paddock in Rally Sweden.

Räikkönen had just given short comment to the master of ceremonies that was heard through the speakers. Because the arranger had requested for it all drivers had to do this.

Rally reporters are used to get their own interview-sessions. In Citroen they did their best to turn it into a positive thing and promised that Räikkönen will talk during the next break.

– Really? Did they say so? I guess they forgot to ask Kimi, Mark Arnall laughs.

And Räikkönen doesn't talk.

But let's step into Räikkönen's racing suit for a moment and think what the man could even say. All the questions are already asked and Räikkönen has answered them all. He is still learning rally. It's a big challenge and he has no expectations over his positions.

Why should he answer the same questions over and over again? Räikkönen doesn't like to give speaches and he doesn't want to start making up answers for every reporter.

When the rally photographers are asking if Räikkönen is stupid they are confused over the man's cold behaviour. But Räikkönen isn't a cold person. If he sees a familiar face on the paddock you can see a shining sunny smile on his face. Räikkönen doesn't only smile to everyone he meets - it's very Finnish behaviour.

Kimi Räikkönen enjoys racing. He drinks booze. Kimi Räikkönen is also Matti Nykänen's friend. Some Finns are ashamed of this CV abroad.

Räikkönen's fans can ask a counter question: Why be ashamed? Räikkönen has risen to the group of most famous and best paid sportsmen because he is one of the most talented drivers in the history of motorsport - and not thanks to his speaking talents.

Räikkönen let's his driving speak for itself.

Among the F1-people Räikkönen is immensly respected. His ability to drive a F1-car has astonished all ex-champions among others.

Räikkönen is a completely unique case. He has a mystical way of controlling a car that is in full speed and which is about to get out of the driver's control all the time.

It is dangerous to lose control when you drive 300 km/h surrounded by beton fences or 200 km/h on a narrow forest road. Killing yourself is really close. There is always the risk of dying in motorsport no matter how good the safety precautions would be.

The following tells a lot about Kimi Räikkönen's difference: In F1 all the drivers want their car to be understeering, in other words a car that pushes a little in corners. In an oversteering car the rear goes into a slide easily which makes the car spin. Räikkönen on the other hand wanted definitely an oversteering F1-car because he has an unique ability to keep a car that is constantly on the verge of spinning on the driving line - and drive really fast because of this.

Citroën's rally team has tried to build Räikkönen a car that suits his driving style: if not an oversteering then at least one that is only slightly understeering. This work will be continued during the WRC-serie so that Räikkönen gets exactly the car his driving style requires.

In rally over- and understeering isn't as crucial as it is in F1 where Räikkönen's second year in Ferrari was completely destroyed because of the understeering car.

In rally again it is extremely important to make the right notes - and this is something Räikkönen can't yet do even though he has Kaj Lindström who used to be Tommi Mäkinen's co-driver helping him.

In rally the traction also changes more than it does in F1. Especially in winter rallies the change of traction is fierce. In Rally Sweden the car got out of Räikkönen's control many times. I'm sure many had fun looking at photos where 'millionaire-Kimi' was working hard with a tiny shovel digging up his car from the snow.

But Kimi shoveled. This is part of a rallydriver's work. Like getting to the hotel before midnight and waking up at five in the morning for the next rally day. It was much easier in F1.

But does Räikkönen have what it takes to become a rallydriver? Räikkönen told himself before Rally Sweden that he is really interested in finding out what his pace is compared to the others.

Citroën's people had to rub their eyes when looking at Stage Sågen's split times. That stage was driven twice the same day.

On the first time Räikkönen was half a second after his team mate Sebastian Ogier and a second after the lead. Yet Räikkönen drove into a snowbank 100 meters before the finish.

On the second time Räikkönen had checked his notes and was putting some amazing figures on the screen. He was was a few kilometers before the finish ahead of Ogier.

– It was a different stage from the others. A big, fast and driveable road. A bit like in Jyväskylä. In the end the tyres lost traction, Lindström told.

In spite of that Räikkönen was only one second all and all behind Ogier. He was 18 seconds behind Mikko Hirvonen during a 14 km stage. A little over a second per kilometer. This was a sensation. And Räikkönen was driving his first WRC-rally with a 300-horsepowered WRC-rally missile.

Rally Sweden is on top of that the most difficult place to start from because it's so different from all the other rallies. Being a Finn doesn't help Räikkönen in a snowrally.

– A second per kilometer from the lead is an amazing accomplishment. Normally it would take at least one season for anyone to get into a speed like that, Citroen's publicist Marek Nawarecki stated.

Kimi Räikkönen had spoken - in the way he knew.

To rallypeople a F1-car isn't a car. A rallycar is.

– F1-drivers don't know how to drive a car. You aren't supposed to slide in F1. But Kimi has always been driving other than F1 and he also knows how to drive a car, many people said.

Surprisingly they think that Räikkönen will benefit from driving a snowmobile a lot. Räikkönen has also been in highspeed-safaris and also participated in motorsledge races and done well there. According to experts driving a snowmobile and a rallycar has the same elements.

– They might have something similar only it's 100 times more difficult to drive a rallycar, Räikkönen told Apu.

According to Räikkönen the biggest significance is making the notes.

– I had bad notes on quite many stages. You can't drive as fast as you want if that's the case.

– It is solved if you have good notes, that way you can drive faster. Making them comes only through experience, Räikkönen said.

The next rally will be in Mexico on gravel. According to Räikkönen the race will be in some ways easier than Sweden.

– The traction is more even on gravel than it is on snow. Although I haven't yet drove one meter on gravel with this current car.

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 20 Apr 2010, 09:38

Nikki I remember that article, it was great, thanks for posting it again :hug:
Raikkonen really pleased with Turkey top-five

Former Ferrari and McLaren F1 man Kimi Raikkonen took a brilliant fifth place finish on the Rally of Turkey this weekend, his second points' finish in succession after he broke his duck two weeks ago in Jordan.

Raikkonen, who of course only started rallying last year and who was competing in only his ninth-ever rally, beat several drivers with far more experience during the three-day event and he set some very competitive times.

Indeed he was in the top ten in every single test, his best individual stage result coming at the end of the first day, when he was fifth quickest in the short 2.20 kilometre Istanbul super special stage.

He eventually finished around 2 minutes off his Citroen Junior team-mate, Sebastien Ogier, who was fourth, and over a minute up on Federico Villagra and Matt Wilson, who were sixth and seventh respectively in their Ford Focus RS WRC cars.

"I'm really pleased with the way it's gone," said Raikkonen. "There was nothing particularly special; we just paid good attention to the pace notes and made sure that we made no mistakes.

"The stages were really tough, particularly on the last day when it was very muddy: it felt like driving on ice. I'm learning all the time though and that's a really nice feeling: a bit like my early days of circuit racing.

"I am feeling more and more confident with the Citroen C4 WRC and I was very happy with the pace that we are able to maintain without taking any risks. We were able to get closer to the drivers who are in front of us, which is our key objective. The hard work we have done with the team is now paying off. We've got a few weeks now before our next rally [as I am not doing Rally New Zealand] but our goal remains unchanged: we will have to continue to improve."

Citroen Junior Team manager, Benoit Nogier and Raikkonen's co-driver Kaj Lindstrom meanwhile were both impressed with the 2007 F1 world champion's latest performance in the WRC.

"Kimi has driven his best rally since the start of the season. It wasn't only a rally of attrition; he got past some of his rivals on pure pace and that is the proof that he is making progress," said Nogier. "It's very encouraging."

"It's been really nice to be involved in a new project from the very beginning, and to help a driver develop in rallying," added Lindstrom. "The fact that it is with Kimi and Red Bull just makes it all the more special for me.

"I have to say that he has been really impressive on this event: you would never guess that he has so little experience in a rally car. I know that we can build on this progress now."
http://www.crash.net/world+rally/news/1 ... mpaign=rss

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 20 Apr 2010, 09:42

Nice one, thanks Kriss :shhh:

LadyR

Post by LadyR » 20 Apr 2010, 10:16

It doesn't sound that Kimi misses F1.....somehow! :blink:

kracer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kracer » 20 Apr 2010, 11:22

Hi Soren! Great to see you here finally! @welcome@

I also don't remember the article. Sorry :confused:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 20 Apr 2010, 13:25

Soren wrote:What up guys :)
Another forum joined, another place to hang out :D

I am looking for an article. It was posted on the other forum I think but I was shocked to see that the topic was not only closed but completely deleted? Thats pretty crazy.

Maybe Wolfie or some of you others remember it. It has a segment where it says that Kimi has complained to Kaj that he doesnt feel that the car really "goes". As in - feels slow compared to what he is used to. I think it was way back around Sweden time. Or maybe even leading up to Sweden.
I know its a lot to ask, but maybe someone remembers :)
Hi Soren, I think this is the article you're looking for:
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/ ... tcount=344
Mark Arnall admits that the F1-regulations changed to Kimi's disadvantage last season.

- The driver's weight was important in F1 because of the KERS-drvice. We did a lot of work to make Kimi smaller because he was 2-3 kg overweight after KERS was put in. Some bigger drivers had even more difficulties, Arnall told MTV3.

In rally Räikkönen is weighed together with Kaitsu.

- The minimum weight is 150 kg. We are a little above it. We are more or less where we should be, Arnall said.

- Driving rally is more easier on Kimi because he doesn't have to put up with the same G-forces as in F1. The driving position is quite different so the muscles work in a different way. We will change the training according to which parts work more than before and which less, Arnall tells.

- In rally you sit in the car more than in F1 with pace notes and transitions. The rally car bumps the driver up and down more than a F1-car. That kind of bumping strains the lower back, Arnall continues.

Kaj also said in an interview that the Arctic rally race is a test race to Kimi and they will try different things during the race. It can influence to his speed.
He also says that Kimi is complaining about the car "this doesn't really go!" as he is used to F1 cars speed.

(Translation thanks to Appletree and Nicole)
Luckily Boudica posted it on another forum. :thumbsup:

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 20 Apr 2010, 16:45

Thanks kriss for that one. :)
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soren » 20 Apr 2010, 18:34

sleenster wrote: Hi Soren, I think this is the article you're looking for:
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/ ... tcount=344
Mark Arnall admits that the F1-regulations changed to Kimi's disadvantage last season.

- The driver's weight was important in F1 because of the KERS-drvice. We did a lot of work to make Kimi smaller because he was 2-3 kg overweight after KERS was put in. Some bigger drivers had even more difficulties, Arnall told MTV3.

In rally Räikkönen is weighed together with Kaitsu.

- The minimum weight is 150 kg. We are a little above it. We are more or less where we should be, Arnall said.

- Driving rally is more easier on Kimi because he doesn't have to put up with the same G-forces as in F1. The driving position is quite different so the muscles work in a different way. We will change the training according to which parts work more than before and which less, Arnall tells.

- In rally you sit in the car more than in F1 with pace notes and transitions. The rally car bumps the driver up and down more than a F1-car. That kind of bumping strains the lower back, Arnall continues.

Kaj also said in an interview that the Arctic rally race is a test race to Kimi and they will try different things during the race. It can influence to his speed.
He also says that Kimi is complaining about the car "this doesn't really go!" as he is used to F1 cars speed.

(Translation thanks to Appletree and Nicole)
Luckily Boudica posted it on another forum. :thumbsup:
Awesome! Thank you sleenster! :)
Join our feisty Kimi Raikkonen group on Facebook
Click and join :D
Click here to follow us on Twitter as well

Denorth
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Denorth » 21 Apr 2010, 11:34

Hello everyone, :wave:

Nicole, dindi thank you for the path to this place. I was following it for some time reading, checking. Rally Turkey was something to remember :80:

Had many things to do lately, luckily wasn't travelling myself but had to deal with all that stuff for guys working for the company.
Kimi is doing much better than many could expect - constantly in the top 10 driving first season only. There will be more progress during the season that's for sure and I have doubts about any comeback to F1 ''hmm''
These Colours Don't Run!

Kimi, Always Kimi

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 21 Apr 2010, 14:16

Denorth wrote:Hello everyone, :wave:

Nicole, dindi thank you for the path to this place. I was following it for some time reading, checking. Rally Turkey was something to remember :80:

Had many things to do lately, luckily wasn't travelling myself but had to deal with all that stuff for guys working for the company.
Kimi is doing much better than many could expect - constantly in the top 10 driving first season only. There will be more progress during the season that's for sure and I have doubts about any comeback to F1 ''hmm''
Hello Denorth :hug:

Sorry, I've had problems logging in Facebook but you will get a reply later :blush:

Good to hear that you have doubts about him going back to F1 since I've started to fear that he does go back :fear:

:lol:

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 21 Apr 2010, 17:23

Wolfie wrote:
Hello Denorth :hug:

Sorry, I've had problems logging in Facebook but you will get a reply later :blush:

Good to hear that you have doubts about him going back to F1 since I've started to fear that he does go back :fear:

:lol:
Nikki, you're not the only one who has doubts about him going back. :hug:
After ech rally I feel that maybe he is in the right place. Maybe this is what he has to do. He likes it, he is darn good at it. The evironment and the atmosphere suit him a lot better.
Looking at the pics he seems a lot happier, more relaxed, smiling a lot more and most of the times he is surrounded by the other drivers which was definitely not the case during his F1 years. He seemed sooo lonely in F1 :(
During F1 weekends I want him back (only beacuse of the TV coverage) but that feeling dissapears after the race is over. :confused:

rko281
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by rko281 » 21 Apr 2010, 18:42

At the end of last year I was 100% sure he won't sign with Mclaren or Mercedes.
At the begining of the year, I was again sure he won't go back to F1, had a few doubts with all the Red Bull rumours, but now I can say that I'm 99% sure he won't return.

P.S. Just my intuition, so don't shoot me :blush:

Pyper
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Pyper » 21 Apr 2010, 18:53

In WRC he seems so content with everything and happy - he has had a great career, made a truck load of money so why bother jumping back in the frying pan with F1. On the other hand the way he left does make is feel like that story isn't totally complete.

But like all of you, I'm happy if he's happy. I guess we are lucky that our favourite driver quits F1 but continues making waves in motorsport. Others won't be so lucky when their driver retires.