Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 3017
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 08:48

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Mar » 10 Dec 2010, 17:46

I know the news today do not necessarily mean Kimi and/or Solberg won’t be in WRC next season, but that door is open and that’s not good for the Sport. WRC cannot afford losing Kimi or Petter. Both of them attract a lot of media attention and fans and that’s what the sport urgently needs.

Besides Petter is an incredible fast world champion, and Kimi is not the fastest of all but has not blamed himself (even if some people want to sell it like that) and is bringing a lot of fans.

Com’on this van Merksteijn guy was up to 2 sec/km slower than Kimi (than Kimi!!!!) in Sweden last season. If he has the money to pay and get one drive, it’s ok for me, but if that means one of the other two has to disappear then it’s wrong, very wrong :<>: .

User avatar
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 5553
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 18:01

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by sleenster » 10 Dec 2010, 17:51

Apparently this van Merksteijn guy hasn't been driving full time in WRC because he wanted to concentrate on his "business". I might be wrong, I am guessing he doesn't bring sponsorship money, he had to open his own wallet to get the car.

Four top drivers and the rest are either pay drivers or tourists?! What a f**king sad day for the sport if that happens.

User avatar
Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 4316
Joined: 09 Apr 2010, 09:47

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Kriss » 10 Dec 2010, 17:54

Mar wrote:
Com’on this van Merksteijn guy was up to 2 sec/km slower than Kimi (than Kimi!!!!) in Sweden last season. .


I thought Quesnel wanted someone very fast :huh: :lol:



If he has the money to pay and get one drive, it’s ok for me, but if that means one of the other two has to disappear then it’s wrong, very wrong :<>:


Indeed :thumbsup: :<>:

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1608
Joined: 23 May 2010, 06:44

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Julia » 10 Dec 2010, 18:00

Mar wrote:I know the news today do not necessarily mean Kimi and/or Solberg won’t be in WRC next season, but that door is open and that’s not good for the Sport. WRC cannot afford losing Kimi or Petter. Both of them attract a lot of media attention and fans and that’s what the sport urgently needs.

Besides Petter is an incredible fast world champion, and Kimi is not the fastest of all but has not blamed himself (even if some people want to sell it like that) and is bringing a lot of fans.

Com’on this van Merksteijn guy was up to 2 sec/km slower than Kimi (than Kimi!!!!) in Sweden last season. If he has the money to pay and get one drive, it’s ok for me, but if that means one of the other two has to disappear then it’s wrong, very wrong :<>: .


So i didnt look wrong on his Sweden pace, he was very, very slow... as I said in a earlier post. If Quesnel decided to give Merksteijn a drive im quite sure that either Petter or Kimi has refused a citroen-seat (or then the very, very small possibility that citroen is going to have five drivers next year) because Quesnel has stated quite clear that they dont need to sell cars and the only reason for them to sell cars to customers is to make WRC better.
Last edited by Julia on 10 Dec 2010, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 5293
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 02:51

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by luieluv » 10 Dec 2010, 18:03

All this is being done just to give us all a severe headache.
Seriously this is getting too annoying and rather than blaming quessnel or this dutch father-son duo i would just like to put all the blame on kimi and robertson for taking such a laid back approach if kimi is left with nothing to do.

And if that happens i for one wont be able to console myself that this is what kimi wanted to do and he chose it. Kimi clearly seems to be wanting to drive something next year. So I now can only hope that kimi and robertson have atleast 2 concrete options from which they have to chose. So in a way options should be such who are willing for kimi to decide irrespective of kimi snubbing them. All this seems less realistic.

I now can only pray that the talks with various options have not hit troubles for kimi and robertson.
Both of them have really freaked me out.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie
Posts: 665
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 18:45

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by beefree88 » 10 Dec 2010, 18:04

Kriss wrote:
Mar wrote:
Com’on this van Merksteijn guy was up to 2 sec/km slower than Kimi (than Kimi!!!!) in Sweden last season. .


I thought Quesnel wanted someone very fast :huh: :lol:



Which is why it's likely that after Dani also Petter or Kimi decided to leave them. Considering Petter getting a drive in Monte, most likely Kimi left. :(
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie
Posts: 665
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 18:45

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by beefree88 » 10 Dec 2010, 18:08

luieluv wrote:All this is being done just to give us all a severe headache.
Seriously this is getting too annoying and rather than blaming quessnel or this dutch father-son duo i would just like to put all the blame on kimi and robertson for taking such a laid back approach if kimi is left with nothing to do.

And if that happens i for one wont be able to console myself that this is what kimi wanted to do and he chose it. Kimi clearly seems to be wanting to drive something next year. So I now can only hope that kimi and robertson have atleast 2 concrete options from which they have to chose. So in a way options should be such who are willing for kimi to decide irrespective of kimi snubbing them. All this seems less realistic.

I now can only pray that the talks with various options have not hit troubles for kimi and robertson.
Both of them have really freaked me out.


How do you know what kind of approach they have? Don't assume that not telling us things mean also not doing anything or taking it easy.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

User avatar
Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 4316
Joined: 09 Apr 2010, 09:47

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Kriss » 10 Dec 2010, 18:21

I'm afraid that something didn't work out the way they wanted. Kimi said that hopefully he knows what he is going to do by the end of November. It's almost middle of December and we know nothing.
We only know that only one seat left in Citroen :(

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie
Posts: 665
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 18:45

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by beefree88 » 10 Dec 2010, 18:28

Kriss wrote:I'm afraid that something didn't work out the way they wanted. Kimi said that hopefully he knows what he is going to do by the end of November. It's almost middle of December and we know nothing.
We only know that only one seat left in Citroen :(


Definitely many things didn't go as Kimi hoped. Initially he hoped he'll know by the time of Neste. Than a few weeks ago it was another time, than end of November, but mostly he doesn't say a word, because he just ends up explaining if it doesn't happen for some reason.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

User avatar
luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 5293
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 02:51

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by luieluv » 10 Dec 2010, 18:36

beefree88 wrote:
luieluv wrote:All this is being done just to give us all a severe headache.
Seriously this is getting too annoying and rather than blaming quessnel or this dutch father-son duo i would just like to put all the blame on kimi and robertson for taking such a laid back approach if kimi is left with nothing to do.

And if that happens i for one wont be able to console myself that this is what kimi wanted to do and he chose it. Kimi clearly seems to be wanting to drive something next year. So I now can only hope that kimi and robertson have atleast 2 concrete options from which they have to chose. So in a way options should be such who are willing for kimi to decide irrespective of kimi snubbing them. All this seems less realistic.

I now can only pray that the talks with various options have not hit troubles for kimi and robertson.
Both of them have really freaked me out.


How do you know what kind of approach they have? Don't assume that not telling us things mean also not doing anything or taking it easy.

I know my post is full of assumptions but look how contradictory comments we have heard from both kimi and robertson, time and again when they have to comment on kimi's future. I hope i am wrong but yes i am also scared like few others.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 3017
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 08:48

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Mar » 10 Dec 2010, 18:40

There’s nothing about this story in the usual Finnish sites. I hope it’s because they’re chasing Kimi to get some answers before they publish it.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 3017
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 08:48

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Mar » 10 Dec 2010, 18:42

Question: does anybody remember what Tomi Mäkinen was doing with his team next season?

User avatar
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 5553
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 18:01

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by sleenster » 10 Dec 2010, 18:44

luieluv wrote:I know my post is full of assumptions but look how contradictory comments we have heard from both kimi and robertson, time and again when they have to comment on kimi's future. I hope i am wrong but yes i am also scared like few others.

We can't really do anything at this point because we don't have any influence on the process at all. We will find out soon enough, for better or for worse then we'll just have to deal with whatever the news is. :( :confused:

User avatar
Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1074
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 00:22

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Boudica » 10 Dec 2010, 18:56

Mar wrote:I know the news today do not necessarily mean Kimi and/or Solberg won’t be in WRC next season, but that door is open and that’s not good for the Sport. WRC cannot afford losing Kimi or Petter. Both of them attract a lot of media attention and fans and that’s what the sport urgently needs.

Besides Petter is an incredible fast world champion, and Kimi is not the fastest of all but has not blamed himself (even if some people want to sell it like that) and is bringing a lot of fans.

Com’on this van Merksteijn guy was up to 2 sec/km slower than Kimi (than Kimi!!!!) in Sweden last season. If he has the money to pay and get one drive, it’s ok for me, but if that means one of the other two has to disappear then it’s wrong, very wrong :<>: .


Hmm I dont think the situation between Kimi and Petter are similar. Petter is a world champion who has been struggling to keep himself in the sport, he has almost exhausted his own personal funds to keep his team going this year.

Kimi on the otherhand is still learning to drive WRC, and he has loads of money his last paycheck alone could buy him a few years in WRC. If Kimi truly wanted that Citroen seat he could have paid for it just like this Merksteijn guy. Afterall he isn't a top driver and he is still learning. So either Kimi doesn't really want to be in WRC next year, or he has gotten a more lucrative offer somewhere else, but he cant announce it at the moment.
Image

User avatar
Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 4316
Joined: 09 Apr 2010, 09:47

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Kriss » 10 Dec 2010, 19:03

Mar wrote:Question: does anybody remember what Tomi Mäkinen was doing with his team next season?


I remember it but it was announced a long time ago. Was it confirmed lately :huh:

Post Reply