Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by beefree88 » 17 Nov 2010, 19:56

icemaid wrote:
stumm wrote:here we go again :zz:
http://www.wrc.com/news/lindstrom-tips- ... ?fid=13952
Despite his impressive start to his rallying career following his switch from Formula One at the end of 2009, Raikkonen’s future in the sport remains unclear. He has yet to finalise a drive for next year and a return to Grand Prix racing is still a possibility for 2011.

Oh no please don't do this to us, I have already resigned to the fact that he won't be back to F1,
now this :blink: :huh:

I think it's probably just a misunderstanding or tweaking of what he said. Kimi said something like his preference is to stay in rally, and it's printed as his first choice is rally. Besides everybody assumes, that if not WRC, than certainly F1, but it could be a number of things, including ones he definitely wouldn't choose. Most likely the main issue is to find the necessary sponsorship to stay in WRC, not choosing between genres.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 17 Nov 2010, 20:14

sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:Kimi said himself that the WRC cars are a lot faster and harder to drive than the smaller ones. He wanted to grab the last chance to try them. It would have been definitely easier and more flattering in comparison if he goes on like he started last year.
I don't disagree with you at all there.

beefree88 wrote:Which would have happen if SA doesn't get him kicked out.
Who, or what are you referring to when you say SA? I didn't get the reference. :huh:

Banco SantAnder
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 17 Nov 2010, 21:45

Don't know if this site is reliable so take with a grain of salt

Google translation from Spanish
Kimi Raikkonen agreed to continue in the Junior team of Citroën and now has the obligation and responsibility to develop the DS3 WRC, a condition also part of the official team of Olivier Quesnel French factory Satory / Versailles.

To ensure continuity of the trademark double chevron, Raikkonen prepares to face in the coming days some tests on the asphalt with Sebastien Loeb and Sebastien Ogier DS3 aboard the 011 WRC.

But that's not all, the PSA Group (Citroën / Peugeot) have decided by consensus that Kimi participate in the first round of the Intercontinental Rally Challenge in the Principality of Monaco, more precisely in Monte Carlo, which speaks to the Finnish Ice Man run with a Peugeot 207 Super 2000 Evo 3 of the Belgian team Kronos, directed by Marc Van Dalen and Jean Pierre Mondron, where his co-driver Kaj Lindström remains.

It is also believed that this initiative will have teammates Kimi as Brian Bouffier and Guy Wilks. In addition to a semi-official also with Stephane Sarrazin, Bruno Magalhaes and Thierry Neuville.

Peugeot wants to dethrone Skoda has confirmed that three official vehicles will Fabia S2000 Champion Evo2con Hanninen, Kopecky and Loix.

Nor should we forget the intentions of PH Sport with Didier Auriol and Francois Delecour for the appointment in Monaco with a 207 Super 2000 each semi-official in this edition of the prestigious Monaco event that has caused great revolution in the discipline with a large number of free registrations of great importance.

Kimi debut with Peugeot in the IRC also because we believe in the possible return of Mikko Hirvonen to Monte Carlo trying to repeat the victory in the traditional date of international rallying.

http://www.zeptem.com/2010/11/irc-raikk ... lo-un.html

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 17 Nov 2010, 21:50

It was in short on MTV3:

Kimi Räikkönen will start his season with the legendary Monte Carlo Rally, Spanish Zeptem-motorsport webpage told.

According to the website Räikkönen would continue his rallying career in Citroen and would prepare for testing the new DS3 WRC -car together with Sébastien Loeb and Sébastien Ogier in the near future.

It also tells that PSA-corporation has decided that Räikkönen will participate in Monte Carlo Rally with Peugeot Super 2000 -car.

The Spanish website doesn't tell where it got the information from. Räikkönen said last weekend that he hasn't yet closed any deals for next season.

(MTV3)
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 17 Nov 2010, 22:13

Wolfie wrote:It was in short on MTV3:

Kimi Räikkönen will start his season with the legendary Monte Carlo Rally, Spanish Zeptem-motorsport webpage told.

According to the website Räikkönen would continue his rallying career in Citroen and would prepare for testing the new DS3 WRC -car together with Sébastien Loeb and Sébastien Ogier in the near future.

It also tells that PSA-corporation has decided that Räikkönen will participate in Monte Carlo Rally with Peugeot Super 2000 -car.

The Spanish website doesn't tell where it got the information from. Räikkönen said last weekend that he hasn't yet closed any deals for next season.

(MTV3)

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 18 Nov 2010, 02:06

beefree88 wrote:
brendakarli wrote:when I told hubby that Kimi wants to remain in WRC, he went to analyze kimi's overall standings etc and commented that of all the regular competitors, kimi is dead last. What this means is that kimi is last in the standings for competitors that participated in all or almost all of the races. I think kimi only did not do the rally in NZ (is this correct?). And all competitors ranked after kimi did not compete in (as) many events...when I heard it, I became rather depressed...hubby said kimi should not throw away his god given talent in F1. oh well, we know how stubborn that boy is! So, we can only sit by and let him do his thing.

Well, I don't know how and what he analized, but it's definitely misleading to judge a rally driver's performance based on how much points he got.
Most of the current top drivers should have ended their carreer after their first year based on that.

He did not analyze kimi's performance based on points. he analyzed based on the number of races each contestant took part in and kimi is basically last in the standings for those contestants that participated in all or almost all races. The other contestants that were below kimi in rankings did not take part in many events, hence the lower rankings.

I think the point I am trying to make is that knowing he has zero experince in rally, he maybe shouldn't have jumped in to the elite class. He should have taken this year to be in a slightly lower class to gain some experience and then maybe aim for WRC in 2011. I still believe he only got to WRC becos of his WDC title and so if he was man enough to do so, we should judge him as if he were suitably qualified tobe in WRC in the first place. if he shouldn't be judged with any sort of comparison, then I feel we are using our tinted glasses of kimi not in the right way. This does not take away kimi's character (something that has made me his fan) but we should not lower our expectations just becos he is our idol. I admire his courage to pursue new challenges but maybe I just feel that it was not the right way to leave F1 the way he did...
The JINX

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 18 Nov 2010, 02:36

beefree88 wrote: Kimi said himself that the WRC cars are a lot faster and harder to drive than the smaller ones. He wanted to grab the last chance to try them. It would have been definitely easier and more flattering in comparison if he goes on like he started last year. Which would have happen if SA doesn't get him kicked out.

I did not mean that by going to the lower classes that kimi's performance may be more flattering, I mean that he would be able to gain a progressive learning experience, just as if a driver would start from karting to GP (lower classes) and then to F1. After all, age is no barrier in WRC (as we have seen in recent examples). Perhaps I cannot appreciate this "out of the frying pan and into the fire" approach that kimi has taken, having left the crazy circus that is F1 (by Kimi's standards) and immediately jumping controversially into WRC. He is not giving himself any time to falter and mature like he has in F1. It almost makes me feel that kimi responded to the F1 mess by running away and thinking that his passion for racing may be renewed in a different serie (WRC) that enjoys a similar elite status in motorsport racing.

And kimi and Kaj have been repeating the mantra that this is a learning year etc so everyone should not have any expectations. If it is a learning year, then he should not even be thinking to do it in the elite class. He should be learning progressively so that expecations and reality would not be too far from each other becos although he says that his results are more or less what he expected, I think deep down, he knows it is not true and he would be disappointed with his results. But maybe, he prefers this to going back to F1 to face those nagging issues.

But maybe my internal feelers are just barking up the wrong tree. oh hell, what the heck do I know? :fear:
The JINX

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 18 Nov 2010, 05:59

Brenda,
Kimi is last in the standings, not because of the car, but because of himself. But I can't see how anything else other than this can be expected. Give them all equal cars, a guy who has never driven a rally car will finish last amongst those whose whole lives are made of rallying. There is nothing to be surprised here. The thing to infer here is - Kimi has been faster than some of those guys with more points/rally than Kimi, like Villagra, Wilson, Ostberg, Al-Qassimi, Al-Attiyah, etc., at some points or many points during the season. This is the indicator of Kimi's rally potential. Based on that, I would say Kimi has shown a lot of promise. I really expect him to win a tarmac rally in 3-4 years from now. That much I am convinced. Whether he can win a WDC, time will tell, he has more learning to do before deciding on anything. It's the flashes of brilliance one should look for in cases like this. I think Loeb, Ogier, Latvala's first years in WRC are not much different from Kimi's. "It is like what we expected", as Kimi would say. ;)
Curious case of Kimi Raikkonen..

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 18 Nov 2010, 06:58

brendakarli wrote:I think the point I am trying to make is that knowing he has zero experince in rally, he maybe shouldn't have jumped in to the elite class. He should have taken this year to be in a slightly lower class to gain some experience and then maybe aim for WRC in 2011. I still believe he only got to WRC becos of his WDC title

He said exactly that he grabbed the chance because it was a chance of a lifetime to try himself out among the best rally drivers. Of course he got a seat because he's a WDC in F1. I think that he knows that too. But just because he's a WDC in F1 people immediately started to expect great results from him. Although he's a rookie in WRC, in rally in general. Hadn't he been Kimi Räikkönen then nobody would have mentioned his name this year and he wouldn't have gotten the best car to learn. I still think that it was a huge decision, a very brave one because he's been learning in front of millions of people and he didn't care if people laughed at him or not. He's been doing his job, held up his head high and learnt a lot. Let's wait and see what happens next year. I think we can judge his performance more by the end of 2011.

I also am afraid of that he's wasting his talent now and I just want him to prove me wrong. I think Dheeban is right by saying that the little results are important now and after this year like "It's the flashes of brilliance one should look for in cases like this' :)

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 18 Nov 2010, 12:38

Thanks to those of you for trying to convince me ... :hug: he'll be in rally next year(s) regardless of what I think...hopefully he will see results that make him happy.
The JINX

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 18 Nov 2010, 14:17

brendakarli wrote:
beefree88 wrote: Kimi said himself that the WRC cars are a lot faster and harder to drive than the smaller ones. He wanted to grab the last chance to try them. It would have been definitely easier and more flattering in comparison if he goes on like he started last year. Which would have happen if SA doesn't get him kicked out.

I did not mean that by going to the lower classes that kimi's performance may be more flattering, I mean that he would be able to gain a progressive learning experience, just as if a driver would start from karting to GP (lower classes) and then to F1. After all, age is no barrier in WRC (as we have seen in recent examples). Perhaps I cannot appreciate this "out of the frying pan and into the fire" approach that kimi has taken, having left the crazy circus that is F1 (by Kimi's standards) and immediately jumping controversially into WRC. He is not giving himself any time to falter and mature like he has in F1. It almost makes me feel that kimi responded to the F1 mess by running away and thinking that his passion for racing may be renewed in a different serie (WRC) that enjoys a similar elite status in motorsport racing.

And kimi and Kaj have been repeating the mantra that this is a learning year etc so everyone should not have any expectations. If it is a learning year, then he should not even be thinking to do it in the elite class. He should be learning progressively so that expecations and reality would not be too far from each other becos although he says that his results are more or less what he expected, I think deep down, he knows it is not true and he would be disappointed with his results. But maybe, he prefers this to going back to F1 to face those nagging issues.

But maybe my internal feelers are just barking up the wrong tree. oh hell, what the heck do I know? :fear:

Kimi had the same approach when he arrived to F1. Normally he should have got the experience, and arrive as a fully developed driver like Hamilton did. Yet, a unique chance presented itself, and he grabbed it knowing that he learns faster than the rest, and believing in his own talent.
Now this was the last year of the WRC cars, he wanted to try them, and he was paid to leave F1. Yeah, he could have made a safer choice, but again if he'd be the that kind of guy, he wouldn't be dreaming about something that nobody else even tried before

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 18 Nov 2010, 14:30

Don't be mad at me, this is afterall the speculation-thread :p

F1 champion Raikkonen - coefficient 30

Thursday, 18.11.2010 at 11.59

A betting company hasn't ruled out the return of the Iceman.

LOL - The text under the photo is: Say hello, wave goodbye. Is F1 afterall simmering under Räikkönen's hat?

A big international betting company doesn't exclude the possibility that Kimi Raikkonen would return behind the steering wheel of a F1-missile - and be victorious. They offer coefficient 30 for the Iceman's championship which is the 10th smallest.

According to the betting company Raikkonen's championship is even more possible than Heikki Kovalainen's. Heikki isn't even among the ten smallest coefficients and you get his coefficient only when asked separately.

Sebastian Vettel (3.2), Fernando Alonso (3.5) and Lewis Hamilton (3.5) got the smallest coefficients.

IL IL
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Vida
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Vida » 18 Nov 2010, 14:47

Dear oh dear... when will know the real answer...

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 18 Nov 2010, 14:51

brendakarli wrote:He did not analyze kimi's performance based on points. he analyzed based on the number of races each contestant took part in and kimi is basically last in the standings for those contestants that participated in all or almost all races. The other contestants that were below kimi in rankings did not take part in many events, hence the lower rankings.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the point in this kind of comparison. It doesn't prove a single thing, except that apart the top drivers only he had the opportunity to race an almost full season. With the current problems with sponsorship actually the's no a middle field or lower class in the A8 cathegory for a full year, with the notable exception of Wilson. In single races there are about 12-15 A8 cars, but the players are changing from race to race. And if you look at the single races, he's comfortably in the middle field, which is not something a newcomer should be ashamed of.
Block for example had only three races less, and it took him 7(!) to finish in the points, which was his highest ranking. He was also slower than Kimi.

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 18 Nov 2010, 14:53

Wolfie wrote:Don't be mad at me, this is afterall the speculation-thread :p

F1 champion Raikkonen - coefficient 30

Thursday, 18.11.2010 at 11.59

A betting company hasn't ruled out the return of the Iceman.

LOL - The text under the photo is: Say hello, wave goodbye. Is F1 afterall simmering under Räikkönen's hat?

A big international betting company doesn't exclude the possibility that Kimi Raikkonen would return behind the steering wheel of a F1-missile - and be victorious. They offer coefficient 30 for the Iceman's championship which is the 10th smallest.

According to the betting company Raikkonen's championship is even more possible than Heikki Kovalainen's. Heikki isn't even among the ten smallest coefficients and you get his coefficient only when asked separately.

Sebastian Vettel (3.2), Fernando Alonso (3.5) and Lewis Hamilton (3.5) got the smallest coefficients.

IL IL

Not a bad bet.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season