Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Wolfie » 12 Oct 2010, 13:55

Ilta-Sanomat 9.10.2010 (paper edition)

This is very long but interesting...
"Kimi has to come back next year"

F1-doctor Aki Hintsa knows what F1-drivers are like.

You went to McLaren in 2003. Why?

- I was invited. I had already made co-work with Mika Häkkinen since 1988. I was Mika's personal doctor and we took care of things related to his performance level.

What is your title and job description in McLaren?

- The title is Head of Human High Performance, in other words I take care of the human top performance of the drivers and the team.

How has F1-world changed during your F1-years?

- After 10 years of experience I can say that if possible the F1-world has become even more commercial. You see it from how they choose races based upon financial matters. The old F1-culture is starting to vanish. A new commercial F1-culture is taking it's place. It's a shame for the sport.

- The focus from the sport doesn't disappear but the angle changes. Earlier perfomance was the most important thing. Now the situation is so finance driven. You really have to go digging if you want to find even an ounce of humanity.

What do they require from the drivers today?

- More and more. A F1-driver has to be physically in top form and he must be mentally extremely prepared for top perfoming. Family and friends are important. If you succeed then your group of pals grows bigger. If there's nothing then nobody cares. The difficulty is how to master the wholeness. The wholeness consists of physical training, mental resources, social frame and the work environment. Inside the team you have to master the psychodynamics so that you get the best out of yourself as a driver.

- Everybody also constantly wants a piece of the driver and that's why it's easy to lose your identity. My job is to get the boys to keep their feet on the ground aswell as hang on to their identity with teeth and nails so that they maintain their human dignity.

What has it required from you?

- I'm sitting in the same boat.

You had to move to Switzerland because of your work. What do you miss from Finland?

- The kids are the first thing that comes to my mind because they study in Finland. I also miss the silence, sauna and jumping into the lake from the sauna. When we warm up the sauna with my son Niklas we can easily talk all night.

You have earlier been in Africa making operations for free. Why?

- I was in Ethiopia for 3 years working for a developmental aid organisation. One year was right after the civil war and it was more war surgery. I also taught local doctors to perform smaller operations. I led for two years the health projects. I was in Africa two years ago but am planning to go there again. I'm in a project where African war- and aids-orphans are helped.

What made you go to developmental aid?

- As a small boy I promised God that I will go to Africa and help and I kept my promise.

You are friends with top sprinter Haile Gebreselasse. How often do you meet?

- Haile always takes good care of me when I'm in Ethiopia.

You also took Mika Häkkinen to Ethiopia back in the times. Why?

- I asked Mika to come many times and he promised to come. I doubted him and said that you are not going to go to Ethiopia. Once when I was going to Ethiopia Mika was suddenly waiting for me at the airport. I still doubted he was going step into the plane. But he did and we went to say hello to Haile.

You have brought many F1-drivers to Kuortane Sport Academy and your cottage. Why?

- We have a long working relationship with Tapio Korjus. I have many other good friends there too. Kuortane is a good place for F1-drivers just like Vierumäki is. We have an extremely top level sport academy -culture. The private journeys have a bigger meaning for the drivers. They are then coming for silence and peace. They really can calm down.

You have to travel all the time and you are constantly surrounded by hundreds of people. Where do you get your strenght from?

- The work is torning and the age in the meter isn't getting smaller. I jog and go to gyms and to sauna in Finland. Unfortunately I have been quite seldom in Finland. Sometimes it feels like I'm done with all of this.

How long is your contract with McLaren?

- Two years, after that I don't know. They have presented new jobs inside the team and we are talking about changing my job description. Other teams have also made offers to me. I'm also a manager in a medical space program in Switzerland and I'm very excited over it. In the future I want to work more in one place so that people come to see me instead of me travelling around the world.

What are Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton like?

- They are both different but brilliant guys in their own way.

What is Sebastian Vettel like?

- An extremely determined young man. He knows for sure what he wants and he will also get there.

What about Mark Webber?

- He is one of the most interesting guys. He gives the impression of being fair but his will to compete covers fairness. Mark has two faces, which is a really good thing for a top sportsman.

Fernando Alonso?

- I have worked with him too. If you could say that you can see from some driver's eyes who wins you wouldn't have to guess twice. Alonso's will to win, both in good and bad, is something that I haven't seen during my career. He does well because of that will.

Who will win 2010?

- The black horse.

Do you believe that Kimi Räikkönen will come back to F1?

- If Kimi comes back next year, then he can come but after that I don't believe in it. Therefore 2011 is the last year when he can make a comeback.
Hand on the heart

Aki Hintsa

Family: divorced with four children
TV-serie: Desperate houswives (laughter)
Sport: tennis and gym
Love: children
Boring: Monaco GP

What do you see?

Mika Häkkinen
- trusted friend, almost like a brother

Kimi Räikkönen
- better than his reputation

Heikki Kovalainen
- laidback but extremely competitive
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 12 Oct 2010, 15:45

I don't think there is actually anything new for this article
http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.php? ... e1132b50ff

But from what I can make out from the garbled google translation...

Citroen is going to able to produce 5 DS3s for next year: two for Seb 1.0 and Seb 2.0, two for Sordo and Kimi in the Junior team and one for Petter Solberg, if he can bring the money. So it seems like even though Sordo and Kimi have not signed yet, Citroen are assuming that they will be in the JT next year? I think the article also says that Red Bull is only sponsoring the main team next year, so the funding of the JT is in jeopardy.

If someone can confirm that my interpretation of the article is correct please help :pray:

hiroshideath113
kart driver
kart driver

Post by hiroshideath113 » 12 Oct 2010, 15:47

Hi Wolfie,

Thanks for the text. It's interesting.
I agree with his opinion that comeback to F1 in 2012 is probably too late, but I believe that Kimi's talent cannot be measured by common sense, so I can expect success of comeback in 2012.

However "another me" strongly wants him to continue and make success in WRC with Kaj in the future...

miezicat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by miezicat » 12 Oct 2010, 16:04

sleenster wrote:I don't think there is actually anything new for this article
http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.php? ... e1132b50ff

But from what I can make out from the garbled google translation...

Citroen is going to able to produce 5 DS3s for next year: two for Seb 1.0 and Seb 2.0, two for Sordo and Kimi in the Junior team and one for Petter Solberg, if he can bring the money. So it seems like even though Sordo and Kimi have not signed yet, Citroen are assuming that they will be in the JT next year? I think the article also says that Red Bull is only sponsoring the main team next year, so the funding of the JT is in jeopardy.

If someone can confirm that my interpretation of the article is correct please help :pray:
just wanted to post this :O
yes, your interpretation is correct, only regarding Red Bull it doesn't say that it's defenite.
and regarding Petter they have the condition that Citroen takes care of the car not his own team because they fear of spying.

spinster
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by spinster » 12 Oct 2010, 18:39

Hi Everyone,

It's a long time ago that I left a message but I'm reading all your quotes everyday...and to be honoust I really don't know what to think of kimi in 2011...

To be honoust this are my thoughts...

I believe that Kimi really like the world of WRC. But to be honoust it's a little bit the same as in F1. Everyone wants to interview Kimi and keeps asking the same questions about his future and what he wants to do. so that's quite the same as it was before. As for sponsors he also did some things for red bull and he knows damn very well that he needs to do the pr, as well in wrc as in f1.

But the big thing is that I can't believe that Kimi wants to drive for 8th places or in the best case a 5-6th place. Next year (if he'll be in WRC) it's very likely he'll fight for even lower places because there will be a lot more competition as this year. Kimi always said that he is not interested in just driving around... and guys I'm a huge Kimi fan but I don't believe he will ever be TOP in WRC. And that is what I think Kimi is thinking about...

My guess he's eyeing an f1 comeback together with a couple of rallies. It's now or never for F1 and that's not the case in WRC. He easily can have a seat there in the next years and if he thinks after some years he want to quit because he can't match the top than no one will ever blame him for that.

But if he would quit f1 now he could have a big regret later on...

My guess is Kimi wants to come back otherwise he would have really ruled out F1 a long time ago and that's something he didn't do
Don't dream your life...LIVE YOUR DREAMS!!!

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 12 Oct 2010, 18:49

Hello Spinster, welcome here! :wave:

To be honest, I agree 100% with every of your words! I mean with EVERYTHING!

I really believe that is the case and we'll see and experience something like this in 2011 and beyond. :)

Kimi should be smart enough to know these things.

He said he wanted to do rallying but one thing what one wants to do and one other what is the best for someone. I think he really knows that no matter how much he would like to stay in rally if he can't fight for the top positions. In F1... there's still choice.

spinster
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by spinster » 12 Oct 2010, 18:52

I knew already you were a very intelligent women :lol:

spinster
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by spinster » 12 Oct 2010, 18:54

Come on Kimi become once more a F1 WDC...and after that you can do whatever you want :pray:

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 12 Oct 2010, 18:59

spinster wrote:Hi Everyone,

My guess is Kimi wants to come back otherwise he would have really ruled out F1 a long time ago and that's something he didn't do
Hi spinster :wave:

you guess is as good as anybody else's :)
unfortunately we don't know what Kimi thinks about the rally world beside so far he likes it. we don't know what he thinks about his chances to fight for the podium. maybe he thinks that he has time, he has 1-2 years to test himself there. maybe he realized that this is harder than he thought ?

we don't know if he misses F1 at all? maybe he has an offer he can not refuse? maybe he misses winning?
we don't know anything, just playing guessing games. but it's fun :thumbsup:

spinster
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by spinster » 12 Oct 2010, 19:10

That's right...but he told that already enough that he always wanna fight for a win and I never believe that Kimi will keep racing for low places and be honoust guys the difference is more or less the same as always between the top WRC drivers and kimi...

and we all looking forward when he really can drive on tarmac...why? because he's a circuit driver and no one will ever be and F1 WDC and WRC champion...

Have you ever seen someone quoting that he or she is sure Kimi is absolutely Rally champion material?

Kimi needs to come back...

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 12 Oct 2010, 19:20

spinster wrote:That's right...but he told that already enough that he always wanna fight for a win and I never believe that Kimi will keep racing for low places and be honoust guys the difference is more or less the same as always between the top WRC drivers and kimi...

and we all looking forward when he really can drive on tarmac...why? because he's a circuit driver and no one will ever be and F1 WDC and WRC champion...

Have you ever seen someone quoting that he or she is sure Kimi is absolutely Rally champion material?

Kimi needs to come back...
if he thinks so, he will :cool:
the picture would be clearer for him concerning his chances in rally if he stays one more year there, he has the notes, the stages are familiar, but on the other hand if would make a lot tougher to go back to F1

so I don't have the slicest idea what he should do ''hmm''

KIMBO1
kart driver
kart driver

Post by KIMBO1 » 12 Oct 2010, 19:41

spinster wrote:Come on Kimi become once more a F1 WDC...and after that you can do whatever you want :pray:
Welcome spinster good to have you here :wave: I also agree with your comments especially the ones above, I would so love to see him show Ferrari what talent they threw away.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 12 Oct 2010, 19:58

It's a long time ago that I left a message but I'm reading all your quotes everyday...and to be honoust I really don't know what to think of kimi in 2011...

I believe that Kimi really like the world of WRC. But to be honoust it's a little bit the same as in F1. Everyone wants to interview Kimi and keeps asking the same questions about his future and what he wants to do. so that's quite the same as it was before. As for sponsors he also did some things for red bull and he knows damn very well that he needs to do the pr, as well in wrc as in f1.

But the big thing is that I can't believe that Kimi wants to drive for 8th places or in the best case a 5-6th place. Next year (if he'll be in WRC) it's very likely he'll fight for even lower places because there will be a lot more competition as this year. Kimi always said that he is not interested in just driving around... and guys I'm a huge Kimi fan but I don't believe he will ever be TOP in WRC. And that is what I think Kimi is thinking about...

My guess he's eyeing an f1 comeback together with a couple of rallies. It's now or never for F1 and that's not the case in WRC. He easily can have a seat there in the next years and if he thinks after some years he want to quit because he can't match the top than no one will ever blame him for that.

Hello Spinster :hug:

You put it all there :shhh:

For some mysterious reason I also think he has now ruled out rally since he can't be competitive in a team where they have a number one driver during the next years and secondly it was kind of strange to see him skip the rally without using the super rally - he doesn't have the motivation to drive 20 minutes behind the rest if he drives in a ditch - that has changed. It makes me think that he has already skipped rally in his mind and is focusing on something else.

The maintenance guy said last Friday when he came to fix my washing machine that Kimi has done extremely well and the problem is that he he loves to drive flat out as fast as he can but in rally it isn't that easy with all the unexpected circumstances and since he is deep down a track-man who is used to circuits where he knows what is ahead of him.

Maybe, just maybe this year has made him see F1 in a different way and he would actually want to drive on tracks where he can fight for victories...

In any case this year has done wonders for him - and us fans :lol:

To see him happy and relaxed taking on a new challenge has been something that other driver-fans have missed out on.

For me it's all the same at this point but I think we will see him in F1 next year. They talked in the news about Korea's track and without realising it the first thought that went through me was that 'yay, it's a new track for Kimi and he usually loves them'.

I like this speculation-time :lol:
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 12 Oct 2010, 20:17

I still think that Kimi has enough long period plan to WRC that he gives himself enough of time to become as top driver. I am not sure how serious he think that could win champion but I am sure that some podiums in single rallies are realistic. AND this will be fantastic achievement what is in my eyes much more than two or three champions in F1.
I miss a babysitter

spinster
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by spinster » 12 Oct 2010, 20:47

Wolfie wrote:

Hello Spinster :hug:

You put it all there :shhh:

For some mysterious reason I also think he has now ruled out rally since he can't be competitive in a team where they have a number one driver during the next years and secondly it was kind of strange to see him skip the rally without using the super rally - he doesn't have the motivation to drive 20 minutes behind the rest if he drives in a ditch - that has changed. It makes me think that he has already skipped rally in his mind and is focusing on something else.

The maintenance guy said last Friday when he came to fix my washing machine that Kimi has done extremely well and the problem is that he he loves to drive flat out as fast as he can but in rally it isn't that easy with all the unexpected circumstances and since he is deep down a track-man who is used to circuits where he knows what is ahead of him.

Maybe, just maybe this year has made him see F1 in a different way and he would actually want to drive on tracks where he can fight for victories...

In any case this year has done wonders for him - and us fans :lol:

To see him happy and relaxed taking on a new challenge has been something that other driver-fans have missed out on.

For me it's all the same at this point but I think we will see him in F1 next year. They talked in the news about Korea's track and without realising it the first thought that went through me was that 'yay, it's a new track for Kimi and he usually loves them'.

I like this speculation-time :lol:

I like it very much too this time but to be honoust I would like to have a sign that he'll definitely be in f1...

I guess everyone of us would like to cheer for Kimi when he's standing on the number one spot on the podium and take a big nip on the champagne bottle before turning around and squeesh in his eyes because they hurt from the champagne :n