Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Post by Wolfie » 30 Apr 2010, 19:00

Since the speculations have really taken a spin it might be good to have a thread for them.

Compliments to my mother who sent me these articles by mail today :hug:

A SABBATICAL YEAR FROM RALLY?

Ilta-Sanomat 28.4.2010 (paper edition)
Kalle Takala

The setting is getting clear: Red Bull wants Kimi Räikkönen back to F1 but Räikkönen hasn't yet given his final answer.

It can't be just a coincidence that Red Bull has in practice - including owner Dieter Matescitz - given the impression that the door is open and the decision is in the hands of the Finnish protege.

At the same time they have rumoured that Mark Webber will not get his contract renewed. It's hard to believe that Red Bull F1-team would be willing to give up a driver of Webber's caliber unless they have something better in sight. And of all the possible driver candidates only Räikkönen would be that.

Yet the final decision is dictated in two senses by what is enough for Räikkönen.

Firstly, is one WDC enough for him? Hardly, especially since Red Bull would offer him a chance to get another one.

And secondly, at this point, is it enough for Räikkönen that he has proved to the world that if he wants he can get to the top of rally too?

Maybe. And besides, Räikkönen can go back to rally whenever he wants to but right now he has the last chance to get to the F1-top.

Maybe he will afterall return to the F1-map?

---------------
KIMI RÄIKKÖNEN

He is already on Red Bull's payroll. If he wants he would surely get a seat in Red Bull's F1-team but perhaps he doesn't want to go back anymore. Kimi thinks that everything is more relaxed in rally. They rumour that Räikkönen would already have a several year contract with Red Bull which would give him the chance to decide for himself whether he will drive a rally-car or a F1-car next year. He will make his decision during the summer.

----------------
IN WHICH DIRECTION, KIMI?

Rally or F1? The time for Kimi Räikkönen's decision is coming closer.

5th position in Turkey rally was one sort of a turning point in Kimi Räikkönen's rally career. There he got the final confirmation that he has real chances to rise to the top even in rally.

Räikkönen has a tough decision to make this summer: will he continue climbing up to the top in rally or will he return back to F1's top team Red Bull?

How is it Kimi, have the two recent positions where you scored points made the scale lean over to rally when thinking of next season?

- It hasn't leaned in any direction yet. I have to consider my options in peace and clarify what interests me most. I'll act accordingly, Räikkönen said.

That's it, 'What interests me most'.

According to persistant rumours Räikkönen already has a long contract with Red Bull and as far as we know the decision of whether he will sit in a rally-car or a F1-car next season is completely in his own hands. Räikkönen would have waiting for him a winning car but also on top of that the most pleasing alternative of a team mate, Sebastian Vettel.

- I'm in no hurry, I have to decide before next year, Räikkönen reminded.

Going back to F1 is still completely possible although only a few are talking about it anymore. A few facts talk for him continuing in rally.

Firstly, the aristocracy of the sport is coming closer all the time after the experience and especially the calmness have improved Räikkönen's driving race by race.

Secondly rally has only half of the 'media-hassle' that Räikkönen has always disliked.

Yesterday Räikkönen dropped the heaviest clue so far about the address he is going to next year when he was asked if he will get the next world championship from WRC or F1.

- Well, hopefully from WRC... I already have one from F1.
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

LadyR

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by LadyR » 30 Apr 2010, 19:17

Coo stuff, thx Nicole! :)

I have to say: Kimi wants to make it thrilling til he will present his plans for 2011. :cool:

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 30 Apr 2010, 21:11

Thanks Nicole and for your mother too!!!! :thumbsup:

Kiki
car driver
car driver

Post by Kiki » 30 Apr 2010, 21:28

Thank you Nicole! Nice articles. :thumbsup:

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 01 May 2010, 03:20

Nice on nicole. Thanks.

My personal wish is that he pursues something that no driver on this earth has ever achieved which is F1 and WRC titles both and for a WRC title the continuity is so very important. So hopefully Kimi will stick to WRC and wont go to more politicized F1 world.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 01 May 2010, 05:58

see he even says he wants to try for WRC!!! ah !!!
The JINX

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 01 May 2010, 06:54

luieluv wrote:Nice on nicole. Thanks.

My personal wish is that he pursues something that no driver on this earth has ever achieved which is F1 and WRC titles both and for a WRC title the continuity is so very important. So hopefully Kimi will stick to WRC and wont go to more politicized F1 world.
He can get WRC title after he won another one in WDC. I know I ask too much but with his talent... not impossible.

It seems to me:
1. he really needed a change for this year, he got it
2. there'll be very big changes in WRC so better to wait 1 or 2 years (also for Loeb's retirement because it seems nobody has the chance to beat him)
3. in these 1 or 2 years he still could achieve great results in F1 since
a) RB car is looking more than good
b) it looks like that they love him at RB and he fits into this team quite well

Thanks, Nicole for the article, it pretty much sums up what we know, in one word: nothing :lol:
But I like this sentence the most
Firstly, is one WDC enough for him? Hardly, especially since Red Bull would offer him a chance to get another one.

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 01 May 2010, 07:15

Wolfie wrote: Yesterday Räikkönen dropped the heaviest clue so far about the address he is going to next year when he was asked if he will get the next world championship from WRC or F1.

I hope this! A total unique :thumbsup:
I miss a babysitter

dindi
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by dindi » 01 May 2010, 07:22

Moominpappa wrote:
Wolfie wrote: Yesterday Räikkönen dropped the heaviest clue so far about the address he is going to next year when he was asked if he will get the next world championship from WRC or F1.

I hope this! A total unique :thumbsup:
LOL. He makes it sound like one can shop for Championships.

Dracaena
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dracaena » 01 May 2010, 08:34

I've always got the impression from Kimi's comments that winning a F1 WDC was his dream, not several. I think that if no-one had ever won more than one F1 WDC he would possibly/probably want to try to be the first one to win two. While he has no hope of beating Schumi's record of WDC's in F1, there is the theoretical possibility of becoming the first WDC in both F1 and WRC. I don't think that's at all realistic but I can definitely understand him wanting to give it a go. Since he already fulfilled his dream in F1, this could be his new dream to chase, his new source of passion.

I think this year is about finding out whether there is any chance of him ever challenging the top WRC guys AND at the same time a chance to drive a WRC car before they are replaced by S2000 cars. And he gets to have this WRC fun while not loosing anything financially.

I also have to comment about people wanting him to go back to F1 so he can win another WDC and stick it to the haters. Well, there's absolutely no guarantee of him ever winning another WDC even if he drove another 9 years in F1, let's not forget how long he drove on the top before winning even the one he has. It would be awesome if he would come back and be competitive, win races and challenge for a WDC. For me personally the WDC's aren't the most important thing (not that Kimi's WDC wasn't awesome of course :O). Haters keep on hating and lovers keep on loving, a title doesn't magically change that. If he does go back I would hope him to again be competitive and respected by the insiders and the audience for his driving ability.

There's no knowing what would be happening now if Kimi had ended up in McLaren alongside Hamilton this year. On the one hand he would have a very competitive car and might be leading the championship right now. On the other hand Lewis might be dominating over him. On the third hand they might be having a great battle. No-one knows. But what I do know is that this WRC year is a real treat and I'm so happy to be sharing it with all you folks :hug:. I have to thank Kimi for having the b**** to make the switch and making this possible :thumbsup:.

And about what he's doing next year. At this point I don't care too much about WRC versus F1, he'll choose the one he has the most passion for. As long as he doesn't quit altogether. It was pretty bleak when he announced his sabbatical from F1 and I thought that ment THE END. Again, I have to thank Zeus for this WRC adventure :).

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 01 May 2010, 16:39

Dracaena, amazing post! :shhh:

I'm in the group of people who would like him back in F1 but you are right. That wouldn't be a guarantee for another WDC. Yes, it would be amazing to be competitive at least.

You are also right by saying that hadn't there been champions with more than 1 title he would try to have at least 2 but since it's nearly impossible to beat Schumi's records than he'll have to stick with his other goal, to win one in WRC too. It seems that this is the year when he's trying to look around and experience whether it's an available goal or not.

I'm also thankful for Kimi for this WRC-year, after he announced the sabbatical I wouldn't have imagined that I'd ever say this but that's how it goes. Yes, I'm very happy that he had the b**s to choose this option. Mostly because he's happy, he's relaxed, he's shining, he's more than awesome. That's the most important thing.

Thank you, Kimi! :thumbsup:

KIMBO1
kart driver
kart driver

Post by KIMBO1 » 01 May 2010, 19:04

I feel selfish in a way as I would love to see Kimi back in F1 next season because for me it just isnt the same without him, but on the other hand, he seems so happy in Rally (and I do like rallying) that I should not feel that way. It isnt that I expect him to win numerous championships, its just he is so exciting to watch and I miss that so much on the other hand he is doing a fantastic job with rally and am really enjoying this season just a shame we get so little coverage in this country.

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 02 May 2010, 04:40

KIMBO1 wrote:I feel selfish in a way as I would love to see Kimi back in F1 next season because for me it just isnt the same without him, but on the other hand, he seems so happy in Rally (and I do like rallying) that I should not feel that way. It isnt that I expect him to win numerous championships, its just he is so exciting to watch and I miss that so much on the other hand he is doing a fantastic job with rally and am really enjoying this season just a shame we get so little coverage in this country.
just imagine. We have absolutely no coverage in India. I have heard star sports shows the highlights (entire rally packaged in 40 odd mins) and that too precisely after 8 to 10 days of completion of rally. Its as good as nil here in India.

But still for my own selfish reasons i would want him to stick to WRC so that may be by 2012 or post that he can fight for the title if he is prepared well enough.

I want history books to say "Kimi Raikkonen" the only driver on earth to have b*** to participate in F1 and WRC both and was miraculously talented that he won both the titles.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

bourbon
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by bourbon » 02 May 2010, 10:10

"Well, hopefully from WRC... I already have one from F1"

:huh: :confused: :( :<>:

KIMI in F1 2011 !!!
Every mile I have with the Citroen C4 WRC is giving a certain pleasure - Kimi Raikkonen
My ideal is to win the race at the slowest speed possible - Alain Prost
You should just stick with those people who are really there for you - Sebastian Vettel

kracer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kracer » 02 May 2010, 15:12

I agree with Dracaena and Luie :thumbsup:

Even if Kimi goes back to F1 it will not mean he will win another WDC.

I do want him to go back to F1 but at the same time for the selfish reason that I miss seeing him on the grid but I also want the history books to say that Kimi is the only one to win both the F1 and WRC WDCs.

It's ironic that the WRC has very little coverage but that we have gotten so much more info about Kimi through his interviews.

Plus, the WRC has made him so much more open that he has been doing things that I would never have imagined him doing in F1 like allowing himself to be filmed in bed! :thumbsup:

In the end, I just don't want him to disappear!