Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by sleenster » 14 Oct 2010, 19:13

Kinga wrote:
Boudica wrote:When thinking about the whole Red Bull deal it was always an interesting arrangement, it was only for one year so I dont think Red Bull were ever really interested in really investing in Kimi for a WRC career. They were perhaps thinking more about an F1 investment. Kimi need time in WRC and he needs someone who will really be willing to make the investment. A team like Monster would properly make such an investment. Or Kimi would have to find sponsors himself. There is one place where that Autosport article were wrong I think, Kimi would be good value to Monster. Ken Block is more known in the American market, but in the European market which WRC exists in Kimi is obviously much better known.

And since everyone is speaking about F1, I dont think Kimi will return to F1. Speaking from a Mercedes perspective I have to say if I were Mercedes I would really be trying to get Kimi in a Mercedes seat next year. They are already paying Schumi a lot so it wouldn't be much of a difference in that sense, KERS will be back and Kimi is the only driver apart from Lewis who has ever won a race in a KERS car, and getting Kimi back in F1 will have lots of PR. If I where Nobert Haug I would be breaking Kimi's door down right now.
While I was reading your post I started to cry. Literally. :fear:

I want this! I want to see Norbert Haug knocking on Kimi's door like crazy!! Kimi, wake up!!!

And I agree with the first part of your post completely! :)
I don't think we are going to see Kimi fighting for wins if he's driving a Mercedes, the car is midfield at best. But at this point, I rather be seeing Kimi drive a freaking HRT than go into early retirement.

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 14 Oct 2010, 19:20

square wrote:So, I was doing some thinking and for me, there is only Monster in WRC and Mercedes in F1 left (if this, than this etc.)...

And thinking back to this posting on page 210 is kind of scary :fear:
Wolfie wrote:Thanks to Sammy here is from the Finnish forum by Koree:
I had to register here to tell a piece of news that will shake up the whole F1-world or atleast Finnish F1-fans.

Next week we will get the information where Kimi or "Kimble" as you call him will drive next year.

Everybody knows that Kimi or I mean "Kimble" doesn't want to Renault but that he would like to continue in F1 and prove his abilities after his shameful sacking.

I can tell you that much that the team begins with the letter M, but I will not tell you if it's in rally or F1. And I'm not any 'troll' that you like to call those who have no life, no education, no honor and countless other flaws who write provocative or other BS-things with their smile up in their ears or perhaps in the the ar*se that is in the back.
I may be paranoid but for me that's somehow strange...
Kind of scary... :blink: I would be glad with both Ms... :cool: 1st Mercedes, 2nd Monster but please no retirement or sabbatical! :pray:
sleenster wrote: I don't think we are going to see Kimi fighting for wins if he's driving a Mercedes, the car is midfield at best. But at this point, I rather be seeing Kimi drive a freaking HRT than go into early retirement.
It's in the midfield now. But we don't know anything about next year... :zz:

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 14 Oct 2010, 20:22

Kinga wrote:
Boudica wrote:When thinking about the whole Red Bull deal it was always an interesting arrangement, it was only for one year so I dont think Red Bull were ever really interested in really investing in Kimi for a WRC career. They were perhaps thinking more about an F1 investment. Kimi need time in WRC and he needs someone who will really be willing to make the investment. A team like Monster would properly make such an investment. Or Kimi would have to find sponsors himself. There is one place where that Autosport article were wrong I think, Kimi would be good value to Monster. Ken Block is more known in the American market, but in the European market which WRC exists in Kimi is obviously much better known.

And since everyone is speaking about F1, I dont think Kimi will return to F1. Speaking from a Mercedes perspective I have to say if I were Mercedes I would really be trying to get Kimi in a Mercedes seat next year. They are already paying Schumi a lot so it wouldn't be much of a difference in that sense, KERS will be back and Kimi is the only driver apart from Lewis who has ever won a race in a KERS car, and getting Kimi back in F1 will have lots of PR. If I where Nobert Haug I would be breaking Kimi's door down right now.

I want this! I want to see Norbert Haug knocking on Kimi's door like crazy!! Kimi, wake up!!!

Ah I dont want to make you cry, but atleast we know that the thought has crossed Haug's mind, since has atleast been to Kimi's house. :)
sleenster wrote:
Kinga wrote:

I don't think we are going to see Kimi fighting for wins if he's driving a Mercedes, the car is midfield at best. But at this point, I rather be seeing Kimi drive a freaking HRT than go into early retirement.
I personally think part of their problem is that they are lacking direction. Schumi is not fast enough and he is out of touch with modern F1 so the team cant rally behind him, Rosberg is a bit of an uncertainty. So they are stuck with designing the car between two opposites. On top of that it seems like the team personnel is also divided between the two camps. Sure the car isn't that fast but you have to remember that the car in it's current from is not to dissimilar from last year's Ferrari, and Kimi was regularly on the podium with that car. I think a big part of their problem is that that they need focus, sure Kimi is obviously not the team leader type but, Haug was part of Mclaren where they were focused on Kimi so he would know how to handle the situation. Next year there will also be new tyres and Mercedes have the best KERS. Another problem with Mercedes was that they have already down scaled their team, they have a lot less engineers, the other top teams still have to down scale.

So I think there might be potential if the situation is handled correctly. That being said to actually get Kimi interested enough to drive for them is an entirely different matter. :lol:

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 14 Oct 2010, 20:45

Boudica wrote: Ah I dont want to make you cry, but atleast we know that the thought has crossed Haug's mind, since has atleast been to Kimi's house. :)
No problem it's just that I got a little bit emotional because I have seen my thoughts in written form. I so would like it to happen. :pray: Last year I would have liked to see Kimi more in Mercedes than in McLaren. Because of Ross "The Brain" Brawn, because of Norbert "Kimi fan girl" Haug, because of team-mate Nico "half Finnish-cool-good-guy" Rosberg. I just feel that he would be at a good place there. :)
Boudica wrote: I personally think part of their problem is that they are lacking direction. Schumi is not fast enough and he is out of touch with modern F1 so the team cant rally behind him, Rosberg is a bit of an uncertainty. So they are stuck with designing the car between two opposites. On top of that it seems like the team personnel is also divided between the two camps. Sure the car isn't that fast but you have to remember that the car in it's current from is not to dissimilar from last year's Ferrari, and Kimi was regularly on the podium with that car. I think a big part of their problem is that that they need focus, sure Kimi is obviously not the team leader type but, Haug was part of Mclaren where they were focused on Kimi so he would know how to handle the situation. Next year there will also be new tyres and Mercedes have the best KERS. Another problem with Mercedes was that they have already down scaled their team, they have a lot less engineers, the other top teams still have to down scale.

So I think there might be potential if the situation is handled correctly. That being said to actually get Kimi interested enough to drive for them is an entirely different matter. :lol:
I agree with these words too! :thumbsup:

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 14 Oct 2010, 22:57

sleenster wrote:
luieluv wrote:
Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:
luieluv wrote:My gut feeling says that despite of kimi not liking it, He will have to ink a 2 year deal with Red Bull. It would be a compromising on one of the year. For example a combined deal of a year in WRC and next in F1 with Red Bull. Red Bull will try and poach kimi in a fashion where they will have to pay an amount equivalent of kimi's sponsorship of one year and would take kimi's services for two years. Red Bull may command it is what i feel.

Dont know whether Kimi will agree or not. If kimi - red bull fall out completely then it could be MWRT next year and then perhaps Mercedes in 2012 or continue in rally.

Kimi's situation actually is not bad but its very tricky.
Doubt that RB is that desperate to get Kimi! They have 2 top drivers who fight for the championship. They don´t need Kimi atm.
i never said that RB would need kimi next year. The probability of they feeling the need year after is very high. Many factors suggests that.
There has been talk about Red Bull elevating one of the Toro Rosso drivers into a Red Bull seat when Webber leaves, though.
I think the Torro Rosso drivers would do well to hang on to their present seats, let alone promotion to RBR. Buemi has no chance to drive for Red Bull in the near future. Algeusuari has potential, but he is still very young. Even if it is not Kimi, Red Bull may want another experienced driver when Webber retires next year.

As Sauber said recently, Red Bull young driver programme has to date only found one good driver - Vettel.
Curious case of Kimi Raikkonen..

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 14 Oct 2010, 23:07

square wrote:So, I was doing some thinking and for me, there is only Monster in WRC and Mercedes in F1 left (if this, than this etc.)...

And thinking back to this posting on page 210 is kind of scary :fear:
Wolfie wrote:Thanks to Sammy here is from the Finnish forum by Koree:
I had to register here to tell a piece of news that will shake up the whole F1-world or atleast Finnish F1-fans.

Next week we will get the information where Kimi or "Kimble" as you call him will drive next year.

Everybody knows that Kimi or I mean "Kimble" doesn't want to Renault but that he would like to continue in F1 and prove his abilities after his shameful sacking.

I can tell you that much that the team begins with the letter M, but I will not tell you if it's in rally or F1. And I'm not any 'troll' that you like to call those who have no life, no education, no honor and countless other flaws who write provocative or other BS-things with their smile up in their ears or perhaps in the the ar*se that is in the back.
I may be paranoid but for me that's somehow strange...
:lol: Isn't it strange? After one week, the Red Bull news is out, and we are talking about Monster and Mercedes F1 being the two possibilities for Kimi next year.

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 14 Oct 2010, 23:13

Boudica wrote: I personally think part of their problem is that they are lacking direction. Schumi is not fast enough and he is out of touch with modern F1 so the team cant rally behind him, Rosberg is a bit of an uncertainty. So they are stuck with designing the car between two opposites. On top of that it seems like the team personnel is also divided between the two camps. Sure the car isn't that fast but you have to remember that the car in it's current from is not to dissimilar from last year's Ferrari, and Kimi was regularly on the podium with that car. I think a big part of their problem is that that they need focus, sure Kimi is obviously not the team leader type but, Haug was part of Mclaren where they were focused on Kimi so he would know how to handle the situation. Next year there will also be new tyres and Mercedes have the best KERS. Another problem with Mercedes was that they have already down scaled their team, they have a lot less engineers, the other top teams still have to down scale.

I don't think Schumacher's problem is being out of touch with modern F1. He has become plain slow with age. If Mercedes is half-intelligent, they would realize that if they produce a championship car next year, it would be an utter waste in the hands of Schumacher, and they would need to find a better driver. It need not be Kimi, it could be someone else like Heidfeld.

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 15 Oct 2010, 03:03

SpaMaster wrote:

I don't think Schumacher's problem is being out of touch with modern F1. He has become plain slow with age. If Mercedes is half-intelligent, they would realize that if they produce a championship car next year, it would be an utter waste in the hands of Schumacher, and they would need to find a better driver. It need not be Kimi, it could be someone else like Heidfeld.
Exactly the same feeling. I give you 10 on 10 for being this precise.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

bourbon
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by bourbon » 15 Oct 2010, 03:37

I don't think Schumi is going to retire and will return with Mercedes - but if he didn't, it would leave a seat open. RBR's problem is not Webber - RBR's problem is keeping Vettel beyond 2011 (and perhaps even IN 2011). I don't think McLaren is all that excited about Button. He is not "McLaren Aggressive" - he reminds me of a Heikki with more experience and a bit more talent. I think when Ron Dennis saw Hamilton and Vettel doing wheel to wheel in the pit lane of China and then in Valencia, his adrenaline started rocking and rolling and he longed for those good time battles McLaren has been famous for providing (he'll never admit it aloud tho). However, Button is talented - always has been, even if pretty subdued about it - so it would likely be a long shot for him to be booted. I have no idea how he personally feels about giving it another year. Ferrari could have a seat open - but it wouldn't be for a talented driver who wished to 'go for it' at this stage (you had to love it when Bernie asked Alonso if he'd enjoy Vettel with him in Ferrari).

So in terms of F1, there are multiple top car possibilities - not only for Kimi, but for all top contenders. However, according to Kimi, his first choice is rally. So as I see it he will do rally unless contractually forced to do otherwise via RBR or what have you.
Every mile I have with the Citroen C4 WRC is giving a certain pleasure - Kimi Raikkonen
My ideal is to win the race at the slowest speed possible - Alain Prost
You should just stick with those people who are really there for you - Sebastian Vettel

apple
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by apple » 15 Oct 2010, 05:32

Marcus Grönholm says in interview to TS that he is not going to come back. He is 43 years old, the car is good but not on the top level so he isnt interested to drive for fifth places . And he uses Schumacher as an example.
He puts very nicely also a comment about Kimi as he says he doesnt know where Kimi drives next year but the fact is Kimi is probably better next year. He has been making a errors that they all did in junior series only he is doing them in show window in WRC.

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 15 Oct 2010, 05:57

yeah, Markos comment "-he made it clear that he wanted to go rallying next year and we accepted that... " highlights that quite good. And Rally still sounds like Kimis first choice.

but I have to say that I think we are missing some pieces in this Kimi-RB puzzle and we are probably going to hear about it more in the coming month and it can jet take some interesting turns. What I am referring to?

Do you still remember that autosport article from middle of july where RB stated that they where close to an agreement with Kimi and as they said it
"- we are very happy what Kimi has done this season. He is very good for the RB brand and we are looking to extend his agreement into next year. I think this is likely."
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WbSIYoiYmng/T ... 2103_o.png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WbSIYoiYmng/T ... ac19_o.png
and quite the same time Kimi launched the long waited RB-Iceman merchandise with RB license and all... at that point it surely sounded that they where planning for a longer deal and already had some pre arrangements.

... and suddenly one months and two rallies (finland, germany) after germany Kulta repports that everything is opend and RB is whit drawing from rally altogether because of to litle visibility in WRC
http://grandprixgirlsf1-en.blogspot.com ... as_19.html

... and then two months and tree rallies (finland, germany, japan) after the first statements RB/marko is stating that Kimi isn't anymore valuable/he is crashing to much.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WbSIYoiYmng/T ... /9Uz88.png

...and then tree months and four rallies after (finland, germany, japan, france) after the first statement we hear that Kimis sponsorchipagreement is being slashed because they need more money to their F1 project.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WbSIYoiYmng/T ... /UKyWc.png

and then there was that interesting piece of interview with Marko on MTV3 a couple of weeks ago...

So what changed RB mind totally so suddenly? Did Kimi say never ever to RBF1 also? Did RB offer Kimi only a agreement with a F1 part (as luie speculated) and got sour when Kimi didn't sign immediately? Where RB just now hit by reality that WRC has a very poor visibility? Where RB hit by a financial crises?
Or are they just playing mindgames with us?

I guess this saga is going to continue a vile jet, because RB have the last year got official whit their rally-sponsor agreements in november-december after the season is over and kimi also said in germany when admitted that everything is open that its probably going to be after the season is over before anything is announced.

I have to say its fascinating to follow till we hear the last word from Kimi about next year...yeah, no smoke whitout fire but i think we are missing some pieces yet in Kimis future options :lol:
Last edited by Julia on 15 Oct 2010, 08:06, edited 2 times in total.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 15 Oct 2010, 06:23

I think Red Bull probably was looking at Kimi's results as the season went on. After he finished 5th in Turkey it seemed promising that he would continue to improve and at the time I remember he got so much positive press for finishing 5th. Based on that they were thinking of renewing their sponsorship.

But after that he had a few crashes very close together (Bulgaria, Finland, Japan) so I think Red Bull changed their mind about sponsoring him. The last straw was probably when Kimi met with them in France to negotiate but then he crashed out in France too so I think they didn't look kindly on that and decided not to renew.
Julia wrote: ... and suddenly one months and two rallies (finland, germany) after germany Kulta repports that everything is opend and RB is whit drawing from rally altogether because of to litle visibility in WRC
From that article Kimi said this:
Is your scale turning to rally?
– We will see that later. There are a lot of things involved. There is nothing yet and it could be that nothing happens, Räikkönen says mysteriously.
That worried me a bit before but is he actually considering retirement as an option? :confused:

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 15 Oct 2010, 06:36

^ I take that as 'nothing happens in rally'.

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 15 Oct 2010, 06:37

sleenster wrote:I think Red Bull probably was looking at Kimi's results as the season went on. I think after he finished 5th in Turkey it seemed promising that he would continue to improve and based on that they were thinking of renewing their sponsorship.

But after that he had a few crashes very close together (Bulgaria, Finland, Japan) so I think Red Bull changed their mind about sponsoring him. The last straw was probably when Kimi met with them in France to negotiate but then he crashed out in France too so I think they didn't look kindly on that and decided not to renew.
Julia wrote: ... and suddenly one months and two rallies (finland, germany) after germany Kulta repports that everything is opend and RB is whit drawing from rally altogether because of to litle visibility in WRC
From that article Kimi said this:
Is your scale turning to rally?
– We will see that later. There are a lot of things involved. There is nothing yet and it could be that nothing happens, Räikkönen says mysteriously.
That worried me a bit before but is he actually considering retirement as an option? :confused:
yeah, it can be because his crashes... but, but... something is missing in this equation.

About retirement:
Kimi has every now and then pointed out that retirement is also an option for next year as it was for this year... hard to believe he continues driving somewhere just to prove a point or just to drive somewhere. If he doesn't find anything sensible he retires, hasn't he been quite clear whit that even before?... so we just have to hope he finds something sencible in motorsport he wants to do next year.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 15 Oct 2010, 06:39

SpaMaster wrote:^ I take that as 'nothing happens in rally'.
In that same article he also said he will probably not go back to F1.

Maybe NASCAR then?? :lol: