Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Julia » 25 Nov 2010, 16:53

redstorm wrote:Yes, true there. We don't know how big an investment the F3 team was. It's surely more money than some dirt bikes.....

If it's Mini: Perhaps there is talk of a longterm deal. We all know Citroën is always going to develop towards Seb 1.0 and 2.0. It would be very tempting to start from the ground up on a new car built towards your own standards. Yes he is (wouldn't) be the only driver, but he would be on a much more even standard in a new team than Team Seb. Just my 2 cents!
yeah, the only way mini makes sense to me is if they as you say are talking about a longterm deal but to run only in autumn and not spring doesnt sound as a good idee if he has not planned to take up le mans in spring? Sounds more like a B plan or a plan to try to get a better offer from Citroen/ford... but then again Sordo and mini combination makes much sense to me but Sordo seems to disagree with mee there :lol: (atleast according to autosport,) so its hard to know what mini offers.

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 25 Nov 2010, 17:00

I post it here because it's Kimi related
Sordo waiting on Ford offer

By David Evans Thursday, November 25th 2010, 14:48 GMT

Dani Sordo says he will wait on word from Ford before responding to the offer he has from Mini for next season.

The Spaniard has been approached by Mini to be part of its entry into the World Rally Championship, but is holding out for a possible Ford drive before committing.

"I will wait a little bit for Ford, but not long," Sordo said. "It's not fair to Mini.

"Nothing is decided at the moment, but Mini is a good idea - with a big company like BMW behind it. I would like to develop the car, that's a good thing, but I also need to be driving a lot next year and this is not the full programme."

Sordo is expected to test a Mini for the first time before the end of this month.

Kimi Raikkonen has also been linked to Mini, with Red Bull expected to enter a deal with the team in 2012.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88489

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 25 Nov 2010, 17:11

Kriss wrote:I post it here because it's Kimi related

Kimi Raikkonen has also been linked to Mini, with Red Bull expected to enter a deal with the team in 2012.

ok, so now the press is sure he has the RB deal !? but the problem at the moment is citroen? or they have no idee and just guessing/speculating like everybody else...

on another note is it just me who thinks its funny that the englisch press are betting on RB to jump to mini from citroen and the german are sure that they change to VW?? :roll:: Nobody seem to think that they stick with Citroen (or maybe the french press?)

Claudie_Schnaudie
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Claudie_Schnaudie » 25 Nov 2010, 20:16

courtesy of vesuvius :)
Steve Robertson gave an new interview for Turun Sanomat:

-he says there is still no contract but he hopes that till the end of november they would something
-kimi's mind is still set on rallying.
- there has been no contact with formula 1 but Kimi has not ruled formula 1 out completely, if the right offer still comes.
-also Robertson say that he think Kimi would have done about the same that Alonso did this year, he says Fernando did drove an fantastic season and he don't want to take anything away from that
- he also said Ferrari is an fantastic team that works well together and that they always fight till the end no matter what.

link to the interview http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/176973.html
End of November? Well that´s soon :thumbsup: But he said that he ""hopes" so nothing is for sure :roll::
And he says "if the right offer comes" ... damn and that would be??? :roll::
Kimi Kimi gimme just a little smile :)

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 25 Nov 2010, 20:29

Julia wrote:
Kriss wrote:I post it here because it's Kimi related

ok, so now the press is sure he has the RB deal !? but the problem at the moment is citroen? or they have no idee and just guessing/speculating like everybody else...

on another note is it just me who thinks its funny that the englisch press are betting on RB to jump to mini from citroen and the german are sure that they change to VW?? :roll:: Nobody seem to think that they stick with Citroen (or maybe the french press?)
Yeah Autosport hasn't exactly been very reliable, they have a different story every week. Last week it was Kimi and Petter at Citroen. They are also the ones who kept on pushing those Renault rumours. At this stage only the official announcement from Kimi himself can really be taken seriously.

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 25 Nov 2010, 20:36

Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:courtesy of vesuvius :)
Steve Robertson gave an new interview for Turun Sanomat:

-he says there is still no contract but he hopes that till the end of november they would something
-kimi's mind is still set on rallying.
- there has been no contact with formula 1 but Kimi has not ruled formula 1 out completely, if the right offer still comes.
-also Robertson say that he think Kimi would have done about the same that Alonso did this year, he says Fernando did drove an fantastic season and he don't want to take anything away from that
- he also said Ferrari is an fantastic team that works well together and that they always fight till the end no matter what.

link to the interview http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/176973.html
End of November? Well that´s soon :thumbsup: But he said that he ""hopes" so nothing is for sure :roll::
And he says "if the right offer comes" ... damn and that would be??? :roll::
I hope we get this announcement at the end of November but I wouldn't bet my house on it. :)

That is only 5 days. :)

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 25 Nov 2010, 20:47

Kim's rally contract might take a long time

Turun Sanomat 25.11 2010 20:31:27

More than one rumour has been dwelling around the 31-year old Finn driver Kimi Raikkonen's doings next year.

Steve Robertson has together with his father David Robertson worked hard to ensure their protégé a job as good as possible for season 2011.

- Of course we've always wanted to decide about the next season sooner than later. Sometimes it's just not possible. Hopefully we will know something by the end of November, in which direction we are going, Robertson describes the situation to Turun Sanomat.

- Kim's mind is though in rally, the manager says.

Does Kimi's negotiating department have any more links to F1?

- We have not talked with anyone in F1. Kimi has not closed the door to F1. Never say never if the right offer still would come, Robertson said.

Santander made some room for Fernando Alonso in Ferrari for this year already and Raikkonen had to pack his suitcase in Maranello.

How does Robertson think that Kimi would have done in Alonso's car?

- I think that Kimi would have done pretty much the same way as Fernando did. Fernando drove a great season and I don't want to take anything away from it. Don't take this the wrong way but I think that Kimi would also have a done a good job with that car.

- The whole Ferrari team always works hard as a team. At one stage it looked like Ferrari will lose their position in Championship-battle but they hit back again. That team always fights and that's why they always fight until the end for the championship, Robertson said.

Then what about Räikkönen's first WRC-season seen from the manager's point of view?

- It was as difficult in every way as we expected also. The switch from F1 to WRC requires a lot and getting used to it takes a long time. From Kimi's point of view it was unfortunate that he made the switch as a F1-champion and it lifted the outsiders' expectations up in the roof. They thought that let's give him a couple of rallies and after that we get results.

- One has to be a realist. Success in rally is directly based upon the experience you gain there - not on experience from some other serie.Kimi's competitors have rallied throughout their whole life. Kimi again has raced single-seaters all his life. The difference is like night and day.

- It requires a lot of getting used to so that you learn to drive with the co-driver based upon what you hear and not based upon what you see like in F1, Robertson says.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 25 Nov 2010, 21:01

Wolfie,

Since you’re native Finnish speaker, how do you understand that by the end of November they would hopefully know “in which direction are we going”?
You think he means they will know if Kimi stays rallying? Or maybe which rally team? Or is it confusing?

EDIT: thanks for the translation!
Last edited by Mar on 25 Nov 2010, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 25 Nov 2010, 21:05

Mar wrote:Wolfie,

Since you’re native Finnish speaker, how do you understand that by the end of November they would hopefully know “in which direction are we going”?
You think he means they will know if Kimi stays rallying? Or maybe which rally team? Or is it confusing?
Confusing, Mar. Typical Robertson-talk, he makes it look as if Kimi has no contract at the moment, yet he talks about not closing the door to F1 but then again they have no talks with anyone.

If they have news by the end of November I will be highly surprised.

Oh and he talks about them not even knowing the direction :huh:
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 25 Nov 2010, 21:09

Wolfie wrote:
Mar wrote:Wolfie,

Confusing, Mar. Typical Robertson-talk, he makes it look as if Kimi has no contract at the moment, yet he talks about not closing the door to F1 but then again they have no talks with anyone.

If they have news by the end of November I will be highly surprised.

Oh and he talks about them not even knowing the direction :huh:
Thanks! :hug:

Acropolis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Acropolis » 25 Nov 2010, 21:25

How many more articles will Wolfie have to translate, till we finally get the big news...oh, how much I think of that day!
Kimi, please stop this torture!
Thanks for all the articles!

Lynx'niK
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Lynx'niK » 25 Nov 2010, 21:52

Wolfie wrote: Turun Sanomat 25.11 2010 20:31:27

- We have not talked with anyone in F1. Kimi has not closed the door to F1. Never say never if the right offer still would come, Robertson said.

How does Robertson think that Kimi would have done in Alonso's car?

- The whole Ferrari team always works hard as a team. At one stage it looked like Ferrari will lose their position in Championship-battle but they hit back again. That team always fights and that's why they always fight until the end for the championship, Robertson said.
To stoke up fire...

Robertson praising Ferrari and trying to get the right offer. hmh? Kimi back to Ferrari :lol: :zz: :lol: :<>: :lol: :fear: :n :huh:
Massa was not the right butler.
GOODBYE KIMI
GOODBYE RÄIKKÖNEN

http://www.youtube.com/user/niQlettsche

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 26 Nov 2010, 04:58

"If the right offer comes through in F1.."?? Why not rule out F1 for next year? Wait, the Robertsons did rule out F1 for next year. But they are still ready to listen to right offers? I have no idea what they are up to.
Curious case of Kimi Raikkonen..

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 26 Nov 2010, 05:09

I am quite miffed with the "no contact with F1 but we keep the door open" nonsense now. The fact is he is in contact with one team, RB. They have offered him a seat this year and I am sure DM still kept the door open for him to come back next year, so he continues to give kimi a personal sposnorship.

I think Kimi himself is contemplating how bad it would look to swoop in on webber's seat bcos of what happened to himself at ferrari, that may be why he said "no contact but if an available but decent seat came along, then he may consider" ...I dunno, and I wonder why vettel had to do two days of testing and mark didn't even do one?

Also, Kimi seems to be hinting that he hasn't got any big enough sponsorships in rally, hence the lack of a firm contract. And maybe selling the F3 stake can fund his adventure one more year while waiting for webber to retire. but by then, the tires will be new to him and having been out of F1 for 2 years would spark the 'he shouldn;t have come back like schummy' talk again if he can't learn up his f1 tricks quick enough. urgh, this man is driving me nuts!
The JINX