Rally New Zealand 2010

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Rally New Zealand 2010

Post by Wolfie » 29 Apr 2010, 21:29

Round 5

Categories:
WRC, P-WRC, S-WRC

Based:
Auckland

Surface:
Gravel with some asphalt

Most recent winner:
Sebastien Loeb (2008)

Rally website:
http://www.rallynz.org.nz

Rally New Zealand is the oldest WRC event in the Southern Hemisphere and is renowned for its fast flowing gravel roads and the beautiful landscape of the country’s North Island.

Blind crests, fast jumps, flat-out kinks and huge cambers make the roads more challenging than most, but their sweeping, undulating nature means most WRC drivers love them. When it's sunny, the stages can be glorious, but when it rains, they can turn muddy and extremely slippery.

The challenging terrain rewards the drivers with the very best car control. You need to be brave to do well in New Zealand but the high speeds mean the slightest mistake is punished severely.

In its 40th anniversary year, Rally New Zealand has moved 200km north from Hamilton, its base for the past three years, to a new home in the heart of the country's biggest city, Auckland. The next three editions of the rally will be run from here.

A return to Auckland means some classic high-speed stages in the Northland region are back on the itinerary after a four year absence, as well as more familiar tests in the Franklin and north Waikato districts to the south of the city. Mixed surface stages and two Super Specials are also on the cards.
New for 2010

Two new Super Special Stages: One all-asphalt test will be built at the recently completed Hampton Downs motor racing circuit, the other in Auckland's oldest park - the 75 hectare Auckland Domain.

A new Service Park will be located on Auckland's Queens Wharf, a short walk from the downtown area.

In Spanish, funny to listen :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYNtPT3QXwQ
Last edited by Wolfie on 29 Apr 2010, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally New Zealand

Post by Wolfie » 29 Apr 2010, 21:37

THE RALLY EQUIPMENT LEFT FOR NEW ZEALAND ON WEDNESDAY

27.04.2010 15:17

The airplanes that ship the cars and other equipment from the WRC-serie took off from London on Wednesday and will travel through Amsterdam to New Zealand, Radio New Zealand told.

The schedule became quite tight for some teams due to the flight limitations that messed up the teams plans to return from Turkey. The chairmain for Rally New Zealand, Chris Carr, believes that all cars and persons will arrive in time although they have less time than planned to get ready.

Rally New Zealand starts on Thursday 6th May. They get acquainted with the route two days earlier.

(MTV3)

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally New Zealand 2010

Post by luieluv » 30 Apr 2010, 04:46

we would miss kimi. :(

It would be great to see how Hirvo manages to challenge loeb in this one.

I feel this is gonna be either hirvo's or Petter's turn to win.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

dindi
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by dindi » 30 Apr 2010, 10:11

I know, Luie :(

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 30 Apr 2010, 19:13

luieluv wrote:we would miss kimi. :(

It would be great to see how Hirvo manages to challenge loeb in this one.

I feel this is gonna be either hirvo's or Petter's turn to win.
But fortunately we can concentrate more on the other drivers in this rally :lol:

I would like Sordo to win. He deserves to win so he isn't completely outshined by Ogier :(

LadyR

Post by LadyR » 30 Apr 2010, 19:28

Hmmm...New Zealand won't bring Kimi on our screens, but I'm convinced, that it won't be defo not a boring rally.....

But hey, if Kimi will attend Monaco GP...we just have to wait another week to see him again....I mean, apart from this cool commercial! :evilgrin:
Oh...Finnish people here....is the commercial already on air in your TV? Image

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 30 Apr 2010, 20:19

My thumbs are up for Hirvonen and Ogier :)
I miss a babysitter

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 30 Apr 2010, 20:26

LadyR wrote:Hmmm...New Zealand won't bring Kimi on our screens, but I'm convinced, that it won't be defo not a boring rally.....

But hey, if Kimi will attend Monaco GP...we just have to wait another week to see him again....I mean, apart from this cool commercial! :evilgrin:
Oh...Finnish people here....is the commercial already on air in your TV? Image
I saw the commercial today, Lady K - hopefully someone puts in on the internet soon :cool:

It's quite good, they have some man talking about Kimi (I was in a hurry and didn't pay so much attention to it at first) and there were some clips of him from his Sauber 2001 year and then Kimi was at the bank automat taking money and he said something like 'it's not the big incomes, it's the small costs' and the theme was 'Things get better by changing' - if I remember it correctly.

LadyR

Post by LadyR » 30 Apr 2010, 20:34

Thx!

Uhh..that sounds already like something really good! Can't wait to see it online! :cool:

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 01 May 2010, 03:33

LadyR wrote:Thx!

Uhh..that sounds already like something really good! Can't wait to see it online! :cool:
Me too. I have too missed it and cant wait to see it.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 02 May 2010, 05:37

Q&A - Olivier Quesnel

How would you judge the Citroen drivers’ start to the season?

“With 93 points scored out of a possible 100, Sebastien Loeb is true to himself! People often ask him if he’s not a bit blasé but I can tell you that he’s as motivated as ever to win his seventh world title on the trot! Dani Sordo’s results are a bit more irregular. I hope he’s got the monkey off his back for the season and that he’ll make his usual contribution to the team. His retirement in Turkey is a perfect illustration of his lack of success. All the leading drivers went off in the same spot, but he was the only one who damaged his car. In each rally we’ve been surprised by Sebastien Ogier’s continually improving performances. He just gets on with the job, listens, learns and progresses in each rally. It won’t be long before he scores his first victory! I’m also very happy with Kimi Raikkonen's progress. He’s slotted into the team very well and he’s had two good races in Jordan and Turkey. That’ll help give him confidence for the second part of the season.”

Rally Turkey was an exciting event to follow - especially as the pace wasn’t dictated by the usual questions of strategy. Are you happy about this?

“It’s absolutely true. This rally was run in perfect sporting conditions. I think it’s what the teams, drivers, media and the spectators prefer. Rally Jordan showed the limits of the regulations! Malcolm Wilson, the Ford team manager and I concluded a gentleman’s agreement not to have drivers clocking in in advance so that they would sweep the road. The Stewards of the Meeting of Rally Turkey also made it clear that any manoeuvres harming the image of the sport would be penalised. All this allowed us to have a great weekend in terms of sport. We’ll see what happens in New Zealand where the positions on the road could be crucial.”

The FIA has recently published the 2011 World Championship calendar. What do you think of it?

“It's a coherent and interesting that includes car markets that are important for Citroen. We’re happy to see the return of historic rallies like Greece and Argentina and the fact that the French round has been kept. We’ve also noted the fact that the FIA reserves itself the right to add a fourteenth round to the calendar, and it would be a nice surprise if it were to happen.”

link:
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=7643

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 02 May 2010, 10:19

Rally New Zealand 7 – 9 May 2010

Rally New Zealand is coming up, and we are already on site at the harbour in Auckland. The Petter Solberg World Rally Team arrived here at the end of last week, and is already done with setting up in the servicepark. We also found the time for some team building and went go-karting. It was good fun, and we learned a new and very competitive side of everyone.

Rally car arrived with air-freight early Sunday morning, and the team will do a pre event test Monday. – We have learned a lot about how to set up the car for a gravel rally, and I think the result in the three last events shows that we are working in the right direction, says Petter Solberg. – Tomorrow is to make sure we know how the car needs to be on this specific rally. I really like it here in New Zealand, and must admit that this is one of my favourite rallies.

21 stages will be competed during the weekend, with a total of 396,50km. There will be a remote service every day. On Friday we will go up to Whangarei, Saturday will be at Hampton Downs, while Raglan will be the host on Sunday. Petter and Phil has done well here in the past, and won the event in 2004. Sebastien Loeb won here in 2008.

Itinerary Rally New Zealand (all times are local times)

Friday 7 May
0903 SS1 Waipu Gorge 11,09km
0926 SS2 Brooks 1 13,60km
1019 SS3 Bull 1 32,56km
1102 SS4 Cassidy 1 22,20km
Remote Service Whangarei
1338 SS5 Springfield 9,8km
1411 SS6 Brooks 2 13,60km
1459 SS7 Bull 2 32,56km
1542 SS8 Cassidy 2 22,20km
1845 SS9 SSS Auckland Domain 1,50km

Saturday 8 May
0743 SS10 New Franklin 1 20,82km
0833 SS11 Baker 1 21,42km
0911 SS12 Te Akau Coast 1 30,89km
1146 SS13 SSS Hampton Downs 1 4,68km
Remote Service Hampton Downs
1249 SS14 New Franklin 2 20,82km
1339 SS15 Baker 2 21,42km
1417 SS16 Te Akau Coast 2 30,89km
1559 SS17 SSS Hampton Downs 2 468km

Sunday 9 May
0838 SS18 Te Hutewai 1 11,18km
0911 SS19 Whaanga Coast 1 29,67km
Remote Service Raglan
1051 SS20 Te Hutewai 2 11,18km
1124 SS21 Whaanga Coast 2 29,67km

link:
http://www.pettersolberg.com/html/2010/ ... -may-2010/

kracer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kracer » 02 May 2010, 10:53

You guys are right in saying that we can concentrate on the other drivers for this rally. :O

I'm hoping that Mikko wins and that Petter also is able to do well in this rally. :pray:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 03 May 2010, 01:07

kracer wrote:You guys are right in saying that we can concentrate on the other drivers for this rally. :O

I'm hoping that Mikko wins and that Petter also is able to do well in this rally. :pray:
Yeah! Hopefully this forum won't be like a ghost town just because Kimi is not participating in this rally. :)

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 03 May 2010, 06:14

Sebastien Loeb and Deniel Elena to defend their lead in Rally New Zealand 2010

After Europe, America and Asia the WRC is bound for Australasia for Rally New Zealand. Sébastien Loeb and Daniel Elena, victorious in the last three 2010 rallies, are heading for the Antipodes determined to continue in the same vein. Dani Sordo and Marc Marti, their team-mates in the Citroën Total World Rally Team, are hoping to finally reap the rewards of their efforts with a place on the podium.

Rally New Zealand has been on the World Championship calendar since 1977, and is one of the classic rallies .The gravel roads are quick and really sort out the men from the boys: the drivers love them, and so do the photographers! The Whaanga Coast stage on a cliff bordering the Tasmanian Sea is considered by many as the most beautiful spot of the season.

The 2010 event marks a return to Auckland. The service park will be located on the port near the facilities used for the Americas Cup at the start of the noughties. The route promises a very varied challenge with three service parks in Whangarei (Friday), Hampton Downs (Saturday) and Raglan (Sunday).

In the last Rally New Zealand in 2008, Sébastien Loeb and Dani Sordo gave the Citroën Total World Rally Team a double! The five-time world championship team will arrive in the country in the role of defender. This status is reinforced by the results of the opening rallies of the season, as after finishing second in Sweden, Loeb won the next three rounds in Mexico, Jordan and Turkey, so it’s no surprise to find him leading the Drivers’ World Championship, while the Citroën Total World Rally Team is in front in the Manufacturers’ one.

Seb has a 40-point lead over his closest pursuer and he will leave Auckland leading the championship, no matter what the result. “Everything’s gone well for us in the early part of the season,” smiles the Citroën driver. “The fact that our main rivals have shared the runner-up spots has helped us to open up a gap in the overall classification.

Even if we’ve won the New Zealand Rally on two occasions I’m still being a bit cautious, as our rivals are usually very strong on this type of surface. Whatever the case, I’m really looking forward to racing in this event. The stages are magnificent and fairly easy on the car; it’s one of the rallies where you get the most pleasure out of driving.

Dani Sordo has had an up-and-down start to the season with two fourth places and two retirements. The Spaniard has always been on the pace in terms of sheer performance, but he hasn’t yet managed to turn this into results. “I hope that Lady Luck’s going to smile on me at last and that I’ll be back on the podium,” he states. “We’ve been among the front-runners in all the events so far; there’s no reason why it should be any different in New Zealand. What we’ve been lacking is just that little bit of success to transform our potential into results for the team. I’ll devote myself to continuing in the same vein in this event that I really like.”

link:
http://www.rallysportlive.com/articles/ ... d-2010.php