Petter 'Hollywood' Solberg - 2003 World Rally Champion

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Petter 'Hollywood' Solberg - 2003 World Rally Champion

Post by Wolfie » 30 Jun 2010, 20:17

By Valuk:

Patterson to be Solberg's new co-driver

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84886

Q & A with Petter Solberg

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84887
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

valuk
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by valuk » 09 Jul 2010, 12:55

Solberg thrilled with new co-driver

"It's been very good, very, very good," said Solberg. "I have to say I am very impressed with Chris. Once we've had a bit more time together I think we can go even faster. We were a little bit cautious in the first stage when we were getting used to each other, but after that it was great."

Patterson was equally pleased with the start, adding: "I was a wee bit nervous on the way out to the first stage, but once we got the finish of that one, it was great. There's more to come."

Link:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85108
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 10 Jul 2010, 14:28

Does anyone think that Petter could be in the Citroen main team next year if Loeb decides to call it a day? Everyone is thinking that Ogier might get a place in the main team next mainly at the expense of Sordo. But, may be if Loeb leaves, Petter could be a very good choice for one of the seats, no? Two of these three - Petter, Sordo and Ogier - for the two seats in the main team?
Curious case of Kimi Raikkonen..

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 10 Jul 2010, 17:16

SpaMaster wrote:Does anyone think that Petter could be in the Citroen main team next year if Loeb decides to call it a day? Everyone is thinking that Ogier might get a place in the main team next mainly at the expense of Sordo. But, may be if Loeb leaves, Petter could be a very good choice for one of the seats, no? Two of these three - Petter, Sordo and Ogier - for the two seats in the main team?

Interesting thought, Dheeban and Petter would certainly deserve a good seat with a decent pay since he has proven over and over again how he hasn't lost his talent :shhh:

What troubles me is reading that Chris Meeke has been testing next year's Citroen.

Chris Meeke is currently driving in the IRC-serie and could very well be in Citroen next season - maybe?

Also all this talk about Ogier possibly going to Ford, they don't make any sense since Citroen has made it clear from the beginning that they are training him to be the next 'Loeb'.

It's a blur, the whole next season. Can't make any sense of it :(
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 20 Jul 2010, 10:41

20/7/10
Solberg can win this season, says team chief Rees

Petter Solberg’s team boss Ken Rees believes the 2003 world champion can be a winner again before the end of the season.

Solberg hasn’t climbed the top step of the podium since winning Rally GB in September 2005. But after claiming his fourth podium finish of the year in Bulgaria earlier this month, Rees believes it’s only a matter of time before the Norwegian lands his 14th WRC career victory.

“There are six events coming up and we’ve just proved we’re competitive on asphalt,” said Rees. “Okay it won’t be easy on Tarmac against Sebastien Loeb but we can be there if there is any slip. Then you’ve got the gravel events he likes, Finland, Japan and especially Rally GB. There’s a win coming and it’s going to be on the next six.”

However, Rees did concede that Solberg’s frugal budget could hold him back. “The full budget we need is never there,” said Rees. “We keep robbing Peter to pay Paul and somehow we’ll get to the end of the year. Performances like this help a lot but we have to maintain this performance and it’s not easy. Petter is still working hard on the budget but fingers crossed we’ll make it to the end of the season.”

Bulgaria marked the first time in 11 years that Solberg had competed without long-term co-driver Phil Mills by his side. Rees said he was pleased Solberg’s partnership with new co-driver Chris Patterson had gelled so quickly.

“I thought it would take the whole weekend for them to gel but it actually took 10 kilometres of the first stage,” said Rees. “It was very hard work but they’ve achieved it well and I’m very pleased with the partnership. They got stronger and stronger and I think it can only go from strength to strength. Nobody can replace Phil but Chris has stepped in and we’re very happy now. We can go straight to the next event and concentrate on performance and podiums.”

The 2010 World Rally Championship resumes with Neste Oil Rally Finland from 29-31 July.

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=8353

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 20 Jul 2010, 11:20

A driver like Petter Solberg, PETTER SOLBERG, does not have a guaranteed WRC car to compete in a season. What a travesty! :huh: :confused: [help]

State of affairs at WRC needs to improve a lot!
Curious case of Kimi Raikkonen..

saif
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by saif » 05 Aug 2010, 18:02

Petter Solberg - Powerboat racing in Finland : http://www.wrc.com/video/features/rally ... /?vid=1684

Before Rally Finland started, Petter went on a boat-trip together with Mad-croc and the 2007 F1 Powerboat Champion, Sami Selio.
Whats the purpose of life? Is Life Just A Game? Find out the answers: http://www.OneReason.org/

http://www.twitter.com/saifsultan

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 12 Oct 2010, 16:44

Mills backs Solberg for second title
Phil Mills insists that Petter Solberg can win the WRC title for a second time

Phil Mills has backed Petter Solberg to secure a second World Rally Championship title to add to the crown he secured back in 2003.

Mills read the pace notes for Solberg during that title-winning campaign and enjoyed a long and successful relationship with the Norwegian before standing down from his role earlier this year to focus on his business commitments.

That move has seen Solberg join forces with Chris Patterson and Mills insisted that his decision to stand down had been taken in order to allow the pair to gel ahead of 2011 – when the Welshman predicts his former partner will be firmly in contention for the title.

“It was a long and complex situation but Petter is going to go out next year and win the WRC title, that is his plan,” Mills told the official Rallyday podcast during the annual event at Castle Combe last month. “That wouldn't be possible with a brand new co-driver straightaway and it didn't suit me to do the whole world championship next year, so it was the ideal time for me to step away and for Petter to use the final events of this season to put a different co-driver in and allow them to get used to each other. That means that next season, Petter can be on it from the first corner of the first stage of the first rally.

“Petter is more than capable of winning a rally and he will win many WRC rallies before he retires. He just needs the right car and the right situation but he could win another title. He is an extraordinarily talented driver and given the right opportunity, he will go on and win again.”

Having been a stalwart of the WRC for more than ten years, Mills admitted that he did miss competing in the sport to an extent, although he also insisted he wouldn't be too worried if he didn't appear in the series again in the future.

“There is a huge part of it that I miss but a part of it I don't as well,” he said. “It was a huge part of my life and I think I only missed two events in eleven years so I had a fair old innings! I enjoyed every minute of it and if I never do another rally again, I can say that I enjoyed every kilometre through the ups and the downs.

“If I get the chance to go back I would, but if I get the chance to retire then I would do that as well.”

You can now re-live the tenth Rallyday by checking out the official post-event podcast. To listen to it go to the Rallyday website and on the news page select 'Rallyday 2010 podcast'. Alternatively CLICK HERE. It is also free to download from iTunes.

http://www.crash.net/world+rally/news/1 ... title.html

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 16 Oct 2010, 10:51

Petters citroen deal seems to be all but signed. And he seems to be very happy about the situation for next year! :thumbsup:

He has confirmed the information about him getting the fifth citroen (which was on the german newssite earlier this months)

here some quotes:
- It looks very bright, thats all I can say at the moment [about next year]
- when everything goes into the right place ,yes, thats [a citroen DC3 next year] what we are talking about . And then I am the only privateer to get the car.

here in norwegian:
http://www.nrksport.no/motorsport/1.7336452

an interesting sidenote maybe: Petters budget (according to the article) is 5 million euros so Autosport estimation that a seat (kimis seat) in CJT costs 4,9 million euros seems quite accurate...
Last edited by Julia on 16 Oct 2010, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Claudie_Schnaudie
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Claudie_Schnaudie » 16 Oct 2010, 11:13

Would be great news! He deffo deserves it :)
Kimi Kimi gimme just a little smile :)

Way Too Fast
car driver
car driver

Post by Way Too Fast » 18 Oct 2010, 17:55

I met 3 lovely Norweigan girls last week and they laughed at my jokes so easily when alot of people would find it offensive! It was so easy to get on their wavelength but they didn't seem impressed when i talked about Petter Solberg. Maybe they were more interested in me but this Petter guy never fails to bring a smile to my face! To be so enthusiastic and passionate with his funny Nordic expressions after 7 years of seeing Loeb beat him just shows his strength of character.And with the extra work of having to run his own team just shows hiw much better he would do if he had more support!
He has become my favourite Rally driver! Flag:## But it's hard not to like any of the WRC guys! Richard Burns was the only one I found a bit obnoxious around 2001 :(

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 25 Oct 2010, 18:45

Solberg: Ogier needs to watch out on Wales Rally GB
25 Oct 10
Sebastien Ogier currently holds the runner-up spot on the World Rally Championship, but Petter Solberg is on a mission to take it from him on the final round of the year

Former World Rally Champion and four-time winner of Rally Great Britain Petter Solberg has warned the Citroen Junior Team’s Sebastien Ogier to watch out for his runner-up spot on the World Rally Championship in Britain next month.

Ogier is currently second in the series, 84 points behind Sebastien Loeb but only 11 points ahead of Ford’s Jari-Matti Latvala and 16 points in front of Solberg with just one round remaining.

“Ogier needs to be careful,” said Solberg after finishing second on the Catalunya Rally. “Myself and Jari-Matti are coming now, He’s not safe for second place in the championship, that’s for sure.”

The Frenchman missed the opportunity to consolidate his championship runner-up spot after breaking his suspension in Spain and coming home with just a solitary point for 10th.

Nonetheless, Ogier believes that he is still favourite to finish second in the final rankings. “All it means is that my job on Rally Great Britain has become a little harder, that’s all,” he said. “We’re still aiming to finish second in the championship and I think that’s an entirely realistic target.”

In Britain, Ogier will also be nominated to score manufacturer points for Citroen alongside Sebastien Loeb, but with the constructors’ title already wrapped up, there are unlikely to be any team orders.

Solberg will be bidding for his fifth victory on Wales Rally Great Britain, which he says is his best chance of wresting the championship runner-up spot from Ogier.

“Some people might laugh if I say that I absolutely think I can win the rally,” added the Norwegian. “But let them laugh. I have to think that way and believe I can still finish second in the championship.”

http://www.wrc.com/news/solberg-ogier-n ... ?fid=13857

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 Oct 2010, 18:50

Rally GB is Solberg's big chance. Good road position & he goes well there.

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 02 Nov 2010, 10:42

Way Too Fast wrote:... Petter guy never fails to bring a smile to my face! To be so enthusiastic and passionate with his funny Nordic expressions after 7 years of seeing Loeb beat him just shows his strength of character.And with the extra work of having to run his own team just shows hiw much better he would do if he had more support!
He has become my favourite Rally driver! Flag:## But it's hard not to like any of the WRC guys!

Absolutely agree! :) He's such a lovely guy and very talented. :) He's my favourite too. It's not hard to like him, quite the opposite. :thumbsup:

It was not the first time that he winked at me! :blush: :cool:

Some pics about him I took at Rally Spain:
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/7159/p1060628v.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5206/p1060629q.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/9806/p1070100s.jpg
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/306/p1070101m.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1395/p1070124e.jpg