Kimi's columns

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Kimi's columns

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:20

Kimi's preview in Finnish

IT STARTS FROM TUNTURI (ARCTIC LAPLAND RALLY)

I have been waiting for this ever since I made the contract for a season in rally. I feel exactly the same as I did before the first race in F1. I have this nice itch in my belly and my feelings are the greatest in the right way.

It's always cool for a racer to go to new challenges. What's more greater than have a whole new season as a completely new challenge?

Citroen has fit my glove ever since the beginning. We drove tests for three days, the whole time we learned more about the car and it's great that when we change it it reacts just the way we hoped it would. I feel all the time that the direction is right and the engineers have said the same in meetings.

We chose Arctic rally for the first race. In our program it's just a test-race that serves only the preparing for Sweden where the serie starts. It's cool that the races start this soon. After I tried the car for the first time in France I haven't been able to wait for the day when I get to race with it.

The break was quickly over. I spent it just like I did during my F1-time. I had a vacation, spent some time with family and friends and started training after that. I have trained just like before. I've done some tough training with Mark Arnall. We know that driving rally will be quite a beating and it gets really hot once in a while. You have to be in a good shape.

I have always said that you shouldn't make any astonishing conclusions before the first race. Now it's even more true. I feel like I would be a Finnish pioneer who went to conquer America. I don't know at all how things will go. The only thing I can promise you is that I will do my best and I won't give up at any point.

In the beginning it's more of building the trust because all races in the serie are in new places and I have to learn to trust the notes. It means a lot to me that Kaj Lindström is my co-driver. We are in a good sync. He is the best possible man for the job and without him I doubt I would have even gone into this project.

During the weekend we drove tests in Mid-Finland and they went well. The car works as a clock. You can see that it has been strong and reliable. Just like it has to be when it has won so many races and championships.

It's for sure that all other F1-drivers would like to drive a rally-car - or at least try it. I already know what it feels like.

Now we go to Tunturi and make pace notes on Tuesday and Wednesday. We will get a feeling from the snow and make sure that everything works in cold conditions. The shakedown is on Thursday and on Friday we start pushing the race.
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Kimi's columns

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:21

Kimi Arctic Lapland Rally review in Finnish

ONE EXPERIENCE RICHER

The Arctic rally came and went. I'm in a good mood and one experience richer.

We had a good test before we went to Rovaniemi. It gave me a good feeling and more trust in the car once we got all bits and pieces and seats in order. The basic setup was done and we went to Tunturi to get as many kilometers under our belts as we could possibly get. Nothing more.

It was good that Sordo was there. We got the benchmark we had hoped for so we would know exactly where we stand at the moment.

In the final games we saw how much behind Sordo we were but after we reeled in those things we also knew the reason for it. All we now need is more kilometers and we'll find it from there.

There was this one blunder when we drove out during the second stage. It was completely my own blunder. I misheard the note and after that it didn't bend back anymore.

Fortunately we made it with small damages and managed to get back. Thank you to the shovel-men for helping.

The roads were quite cool! It was also nice to see how big the gangs by the routes supporting us were.

When me-myself have only five rallies in the meter the times in Tunturi weren't a catastrophy. When I learn something new everytime I drive we get closer to the lead. We'll see how close we are during the midseason.

From this basis it's nice to go to Sweden. We'll see there what our pace is but the serie is only beginning. At least we will go faster than we did in the practice race.

Just as a tip, remember to check out the video clips beside. They are rolling the Iceman's adventures in Lapland and we are reeling in how things went in Tunturi.

Next stop is the FIA-info in Paris, press and photos. After that we will only concentrate on Sweden rally.

There it will be just like in Indy - Gentlemen, start your engines!

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:22

Kimi Swedish Rally preview in Finnish

A SNOWY PREMIERE

Isn't it so in the theater that after a bad dress rehearsal you have a good premiere. Hopefully the same applies to me on the rally-stage.

Our practice - the Arctic Rally - didn't go that bad but there was that one blunder which should not happen again in Sweden.

It's really cool to go racing and start the season. You always enjoy it and it's what I've always wanted to do most.

My feelings are terribly great as always before the season's opening race. When you are a racer all you want to do is race. It's great that the rally season starts now while in F1 you had to wait for one month longer.

I know I don't have too much of rally experience but out of the five rallies I've raced three on snow. That's why it's good that the first WRC-rally is the same element.

But the snow isn't any easy surface. You have to drive very precisely in a clean driving line so there won't be any extra program.

In Arctic I got a good feeling of snow and we got to compare our pace to Dani Sordo's pace. Well, Sordo went but that's how it was supposed to go when the guy is driving in a gang of the four best in the world.

We know with Lindström's Kaitsu where the difference came from. Now we have excercised with those things and tried to get the package in as good shape as possible for Sweden.

I need to get the car more comfortable to drive so that I know how it behaves and how it turns. Of course I also have to adapt my own driving style at the same time.

In Arctic rally our advantage was that we got to drive the rally with the same tyres we will use in Sweden.

People ask me all the time about what's my goal. I don't want to start acting rashly with those things because it's useless. We just try to get some good rallies in the beginning and start to lift the pace as soon as there's a possibility for it.

I'm going into an unfamiliar world now. All rallies except Jyväskylä are completely new experiences for me. That's why I have so much to learn and I have no idea of my own pace at this point.

We have been hashing over this but the truth is that the rally gang is much more laid-back than the people on the F1-paddock are. These guys like to do everything together and we talk much more freely about driving.

If I don't find the pace it's for sure not because others don't want to advice me and help a newbie.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:23

Kimi Swedish rally review in Finnish

IN ONE PIECE TO THE FINISH LINE

The first 'äm-äm' with a WRC-car is now wrapped. The positive thing was that we got in one piece to the finish line.

I could have lived without making a few stupid mistakes. This is how it went, if the car goes off the track you hit immediately soft snow and you spin. There was snow everywhere. Because we couldn't see out at all we hit the snowbank - and got stuck in it.

It meant a shovel-job. You have to dig. It's normal and it's part of rallying. We know afterall that even those who now drive in the lead have also had to do some shoveling at some stage. I don't think Sibelius started with composing Finlandia right away.

All and all Sweden was an interesting weekend. Okay, maybe I didn't have any expectations but the pressure was hard when we took off. It was a bit difficult but it's good that it's now behind.

Every race is important at this stage. The more I get to drive this car the better I become. It already started to feel like it fit my hand better.

It relaxed after that. Because we drove the same stages twice it was already a bit easier to remember them.

Because we had problems in the beginning we decided that we don't even start to look for setups. We just took Loeb's setups and learned to drive with them. We concentrated on basic driving at this point and on staying on the road.

By doing that we got used to what the car does. Now it did this. When you know next time better what it does you can also ask more from the car.

Of course driving out is always frustrating. You just had to pick up yourself again and again. It's the same at the track too. Racing is never so easy that you just show up, jump in the car and start winning.

It was cool when a few stages went okay. The notes are decisive. When the note is completely right it's completely different to drive fast than if it's even a bit wrong. There was a few spots where my notes didn't hit at all.

I told already beforehand that starting the serie on Sweden's snow is probably the most difficult place of all places. I haven't drove this car flat out with other chassis but I guess that it won't be more difficult when we go on gravel.

If we are in rally next year I bet that we will go completely differently in Sweden. Now we concentrate on the next race - Mexico and gravel.

We will have time to drive one test with Kaitsu in France before we go there far away. After that it will be Viva la Mexico. It's going to be cool to see Kaitsu with a sombrero...

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:24

Kimi Mexican Rally Preview in Finnish

IN A HAPPY MOOD

First time in Mexico, first rally on this continent and first time on gravel with this car. There's a lot of new stuff for me at the same time.

Kaitsu and I are travelling in a happy mood. It's going to be interesting to see how the car works and what kind of traction the instrument has now that we drive on a completely different surface after snow.

What I see through the windshield is a really rough mountain range scenery, stunted trees, dry and dust. At least the weather is warm. We are about 2000 meters high and the sweat is pushing through big time.

What I have known all along is that the importance of notes will be highlighted more and more. I could see it in Sweden how you have to make the notes with your tongue in the middle of the mouth. It feels more easier every time but it isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.

We couldn't test after Sweden. But the notes have now been made at the spot. The target is the same as it was in the first rally - to finish without any extra program.

Every race means more experience and more touch for me. When every stage is raced twice it helps a little but here the roads wear out and change all the time. You never know in what condition they are until you go there.

I have had only one rally on gravel and that was in Jyväskylä with my own car. Gravel is the element that especially belongs to rally. It's something that we never drove in F1. When a F1-car goes into a slide you have usually made some blunder but in rally it is something that belongs to rally.

I learned to drive on snow in Tunturi and Sweden. Mexico is a completely different thing.

Let's hope that the gravel rally would be at least a little more easier because we mostly drive on that surface. In Sweden we could go faster and faster little by little. That's our target in Mexico too so that we could find the rhythm and add some speed towards the end.

The feeling is good and even better for sure when we cross the finish line on Sunday.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:24

Kimi Mexican review in Finnish

SIESTA IN MEXICO

If I had to describe in short how Mexico went it would be enough if I said that I'm really gutted. Only the beginning was rally and the rest was then siesta.

Maybe the readers feel like we would go through the same thing over and over again but let's say it again. We knew before the season that this wasn't going to be easy. We learn from mistakes. And we have learned - I can guarantee that.

The first rally on gravel wasn't too hot for Kaitsu and me. We had a big roll in the mountain range. The best before that was that we already got some promising times just before that mistake.

I just lost traction when braking. There was some lump beside the dusty road and from that the car flipped around. It was quite a banging when we rolled six times through the roof in a whole body spin to the bottom of the hill.

Mostly I was gutted for not being able to continue on Saturday. The regulations say that you can't continue if there's even the slightest crack in the safety cage.

Now we lost two important driving days. Every rally more with this car wouldn't hurt me at least. At least in Mexico our car felt really good. My team mate even got to the podium with the car.

Never mind. The opening day was tricky enough without the ending. I hit a rock in the beginning and we had to give half an hour of leverage to others once again when there were some probs with the fuel supply and we couldn't find the problem anywhere at first.

But it's like this. It's part of rally's nature. We will go forward with humility. Learn all the time and there will come a race where we don't have to compose anything extra on the road.

The car is now being built for Jordan at the workshop. Now I have some resting in my schedule. After that we will drive one test and go to Jordan.

I'm going as an apprentice there too because these other guys have rallied there before. For me and Kaitsu everything is completely new.

But the passion to learn is just as 10 as it was before the first rally.

In Mexico we went quite nicely forward in notes too. It's coming.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:25

Kimi Jordan preview in Finnish

THE DESERT IS CALLING

Let's see what we have ahead of us now. We are going to a new place again and to a new country where I have never been before. It's the first place where Kaitsu hasn't raced either.

We know already that we are in for a really big new challenge again but we just have to get used to it. It's the name of the game in rally. No matter where we go the place is always different from the place where we rallied before.

It's been like this all season. All these three rallies have differed from each other massively. Compared to them Jordan is like from a different world. There you have to learn everything from scratch once again. We can't do more than try our best - and collect as much experience as fast as we can.

In the final games we cannot at least complain that this would be boring. We knew beforehand that this is what rally driving is. New driving surfaces, roads changing just like that and we have to work at full speed all the time.

I haven't regretted for one moment that I took this challenge. Each kilometer with the car is important to me and the more I drive a real rally with the car the better it feels.

Mexico is in the past. It went like it went. We have been learning rally the hard way. Every time we got some other program. But when we have been able to go forward it has felt good.

The car is strong. That much we know. If we can only stay on the track then the equipment will last.

After last rally we took a break and it did good for my body. After that we had the first tests on gravel and now we are going with positive feelings to drive in Jordan's rally.

There's no trees, no mountains. Only sand and dust - and the breaks are somewhere on the Dead Sea's beach. It's 100% sure that making the notes to this rally will be completely different from what I have done elsewhere. They have to be more in place than anywhere else since there are no real landmarks.

That's what this still is, us trying to get into the right rhythm with this equipment on gravel surface so that we wouldn't have to drive with stiff wrists all the time.

My goal is to finish the rally. If it doesn't fall in place then there is no other goal to achieve.

Let's see how fast the lead is taking it and what our ride in that bunch is.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 09 Apr 2010, 16:26

Kimi Jordan review in Finnish

THROUGH THE TOUGHEST WAY

If I were to use hockey-language then a monkey fell off my back when I crossed the finish line in Jordan rally. We finally did get there and it was cool that we opened our bag of points at the same time.

In icehockey Teemu and the gang say that the monkey is falling from the neck when they make a goal after a long time. Now I know myself what it feels like and also the relief after squeezing for a long time and getting the result you want, in this case getting to the finish line.

Kaitsu and I had good feelings on Saturday when we finished the rally without any own mistakes. It's the first step until we can set other goals.

Jordan was a hot place. But it was a surprise in itself that during the stages it was even 'cool' inside the car. The air changes well and while driving you don't even notice the heat. The sweat was flooding - but mainly only after the stages.

We drove my toughest rally and the longest SS that I have ever taken with a rallycar. 41,5 km twice. It was beforehand a stage where you were thinking 'does it ever stop'. But after the stage the feeling in the end was 'did it already stop'! Great stage!

This is a great job and when we reached this result you start of course waiting for better in the future. You really can't work on this alone. Kaitsu has taken care of the jobs with a 10. Thanks to him I have got so quickly into the rally-business. We both had good feelings when our third WRC-rally with this car fell into place like this.

The bosses looked like they were really satisfied with this race.

The car is strong. It's a winning car. I felt the whole weekend that I'm more and more used to the surface. I wait with a 10 to see how the next gravel rally goes. I'm sure that Jordan is a cool place but we have such a tight schedule during our trips that we don't have time to go to museums. But at least I had time to float in the Dead Sea. Quite an interesting experience. We left home right after the race.

Now it's a little rest and training. Next week we will go to Turkey and put a new worm to the hook again.

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 11 Apr 2010, 17:35

Wolfie wrote:... we will go to Turkey and put a new worm to the hook again.

So, does he like fishing? :lol: His humour is priceless! :shhh: (or is it a phrase in Finland? :huh: )

Thanks for these, Wolfie! Without you we would never know what is in Kimi's mind. :cool:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 11 Apr 2010, 17:38

Kinga wrote:
Wolfie wrote:... we will go to Turkey and put a new worm to the hook again.

So, does he like fishing? :lol: His humour is priceless! :shhh: (or is it a phrase in Finland? :huh: )

Thanks for these, Wolfie! Without you we would never know what is in Kimi's mind. :cool:

It's a Finnish phrase, Kinga. When we try something again again we say that we put a new worm to the hook and hope to 'catch the fish' :lol:

Kimi is a walking library of all possible Finnish phrases, I don't know what half of them even means TBH :blush:

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 11 Apr 2010, 17:44

Wolfie wrote:It's a Finnish phrase, Kinga. When we try something again again we say that we put a new worm to the hook and hope to 'catch the fish' :lol:

Hahahahaaaaaa :lol: That's so cool! Sounds so funny! :thumbsup:

dindi
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by dindi » 12 Apr 2010, 14:25

Whoopsie. *deleted*

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 15 Apr 2010, 13:40

Kimi Turkish Rally preview in Finnish

ATTENTIVELY TO TURKEY (TARKKANA TURKKIIN)

I have nice memories from races in Turkey. I won the first race in Istanbul and in any case I always digged the track. But now it's a different car, different serie, different joint and completely different systems.

This rally is new to everyone. I might get some marginal advantage because of that as long as I'm real fast in learning.

We have a good rally from Jordan under our belt. The goals were fulfilled and now we try to make the whole weekend a little more better again. Hopefully we will quickly catch on so that we can start fighting more even with the others.

I don't have any other goal than to finish, finish, finish. If we get through it on Sunday we can look how far it took us.

I have to be attentive all the time. They have promised wet road conditions and if the route is really wet then it's really slippery out there. Then you have to drive even more attentively than before.

This is now the first time when we drive on both gravel and tarmac. The tarmac-part is the last new element that we haven't drove, not even once. It's interesting to see how this car goes on tarmac.

It was cool when we got the first points in Jordan. It was a bad spot, as a race it was as difficult as difficult can be so at that spot the four points felt really good. My self-confidence grew and we learned more about how we get results only by an attentive drive and careful noting.

Of course the hunger grows bigger and you expect more points but first we have to see how tough challenges Istanbul sets for us. It's the pleasure I like about rally when it's so different every time.

I'm sure that some local celebrities go fast at first. I just have to control myself and wait until I find a good rhythm. I have to stay on the road. From that it all goes forward again. The beginning of the season has taught me that I just have to move along humbly.

But I can promise you that we will fight with all we've got and we want to experience those good feelings again just like we did at the finish line after the last race.

ish678
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ish678 » 15 Apr 2010, 13:43

"Finish, finish, finish" I like it :)

And the last sentence makes me happy too :)

Thanks a lot, Wolfie :hug:

Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ice-Ludy » 15 Apr 2010, 14:25

Thanks Nikki!!!! :hug:
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”