It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 11:46

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rally News
PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 16:52  
F1 Routinier

Kriss wrote:
Kinga wrote:
Vida wrote:
back to F1? :n

I'm with you, girl! :pray:

+1 :thumbsup:

If not F1 and there won't be Junior team :( [help]

That is the question, where would he go to in WRC next season ''hmm''

Nobody knows which team is the strongest team with the new rules.

Are we going to have 'fun' this year too or not :(

We might as well start calling us 'The fans left out in the dark - again' :<>:

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 19:43  
F1 Routinier

IRC - Ogier to make IRC return in Sardinia

Sébastien Ogier will make his return to the Intercontinental Rally Challenge when he contests Rally d’Italia-Sardegna next month.

Ogier, who was victorious on his IRC debut on Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo last season, will drive a Peugeot 207 Super 2000 on the demanding gravel event, which is based in Olbia from 4-6 June.

It will mark the Frenchman’s second appearance in the IRC in 2010 after he entered Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo for a second time back in January, only to retire on the final night while he was firmly in contention for a repeat victory.

Ogier is no stranger to the Sardinian stages, having contested the island’s world championship qualifier back in 2008 en route to winning the Junior world title that season.

In addition to Ogier, the Peugeot challenge in Sardinia will also be boosted by Paolo Andreucci. The four-time Italian champion will drive a similar 207 S2000 and will start as one of the pre-event favourites.

Link:
http://www.madeinmotorsport.com/en/head ... -4948.html

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 14:57  
F1 Rookie

Hirvonen not focusing on title

Ford's Mikko Hirvonen says he is not thinking about the World Rally Championship as he goes into next week's sixth round of the series - the Finn is focused on returning to the speed he showed at the start of the season.

Hirvonen dropped to third in the WRC standings after the last event, Rally New Zealand, but says he has identified the reason for his dip in form.

He said: "New Zealand was disappointing for me and I need to rediscover my speed. I'm not even thinking about championship positions at the moment, I just want to go to Portugal and drive at the speed that I know I can.

"I've thought a lot about why I wasn't as quick as I had hoped in New Zealand and I believe I was simply pushing too hard. My mistakes came through attacking too much, so I plan to be a little less aggressive and try to let my driving flow normally."

Since winning the season-opening Rally Sweden, Hirvonen has not stood on the top step of the podium and was passed by team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala after his New Zealand win moved him into second place in the drivers' standings.

Championship leader Sebastien Loeb has won the last two WRC rounds in Portugal and arrives in Faro with a 36-point advantage at the top of the table.

Hirvonen, who finished second in Portugal last year, says a precise approach to next week's Algarve-based event will be necessary to beat the Frenchman and his Citroen.

"The Rally of Portugal is a medium-fast rally and quite technical with plenty of corners over crests, so it's important to be precise with both pace notes and driving lines," said Hirvonen.

"Conditions look as if they will be hot and dry and that will be tough for the tyres. The roads have a hard base and on the second pass, once the loose stones have been swept away, the grip will be good, but abrasive, so we'll have to manage our tyres well."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83765

http://www.twitter.com/saifsultan
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 16:00  
F1 Rookie

Latvala: Portugal crash now behind

Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala will stop and look at the corner of his massive crash on last year's Rally of Portugal when he returns there next week.

Latvala and his co-driver Miika Anttila rolled 15 times and 150 metres down a mountain when they went off the road, crashing out of the lead on the fourth stage.

That same stage and same corner will be used next week - but the Finn admitted his ultra-quick entry speed of 2009 will be tempered this time around.

Latvala said: "That stage will be used again this year and when I drive through it during the recce I will slow down and take a quick look where we went off. I will be changing my pace notes for that corner. But I've put the crash behind me and I won't treat that stage any differently in the rally itself."

Latvala arrives in Portugal in the best possible form on the back of Ford's record-breaking 75th World Rally Championship win on Rally New Zealand.

Fresh from garnering his employer a place in the WRC record books, Latvala says he will continue his job in supporting the team's lead driver Mikko Hirvonen next week.

"I've developed a completely different attitude to my driving this season in my job as number two in the team," said Latvala. "That role has helped me to understand the sport better.

"It's not only about being fastest, it's just as important for a driver to be consistent and finish rallies to fight for the title. It's working well, but I'm not 100 per cent there yet and I need to keep working."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83766

http://www.twitter.com/saifsultan
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 16:05  
F1 Driver

that is nasty... hope this year it wont happen again
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 18:05  
F1 Driver

Yeah. That's sumkinda roll :blink:
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 21:35  
F1 Routinier

saif wrote:
Hirvonen not focusing on title

Ford's Mikko Hirvonen says he is not thinking about the World Rally Championship as he goes into next week's sixth round of the series - the Finn is focused on returning to the speed he showed at the start of the season.

Hirvonen dropped to third in the WRC standings after the last event, Rally New Zealand, but says he has identified the reason for his dip in form.

He said: "New Zealand was disappointing for me and I need to rediscover my speed. I'm not even thinking about championship positions at the moment, I just want to go to Portugal and drive at the speed that I know I can.

"I've thought a lot about why I wasn't as quick as I had hoped in New Zealand and I believe I was simply pushing too hard. My mistakes came through attacking too much, so I plan to be a little less aggressive and try to let my driving flow normally."

Since winning the season-opening Rally Sweden, Hirvonen has not stood on the top step of the podium and was passed by team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala after his New Zealand win moved him into second place in the drivers' standings.

Championship leader Sebastien Loeb has won the last two WRC rounds in Portugal and arrives in Faro with a 36-point advantage at the top of the table.

Hirvonen, who finished second in Portugal last year, says a precise approach to next week's Algarve-based event will be necessary to beat the Frenchman and his Citroen.

"The Rally of Portugal is a medium-fast rally and quite technical with plenty of corners over crests, so it's important to be precise with both pace notes and driving lines," said Hirvonen.

"Conditions look as if they will be hot and dry and that will be tough for the tyres. The roads have a hard base and on the second pass, once the loose stones have been swept away, the grip will be good, but abrasive, so we'll have to manage our tyres well."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83765

Thank you Saif :hug:

Hirvonen was really frank in his latest blog. Will put it here later but it's worth reading.

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 19:28  
F1 Routinier

WRC: Jean Todt wants to raise the quality of the world Rally Championship

WANT EVEN MORE Constructors TO JOIN

The president of the International Automobile Federation (FIA), Frenchman Jean Todt, said today that it is working to raise the quality of the World Rally Championship and is trying to persuade more manufacturers to participate.

"The FIA has made an effort to raise the World Rally to another level, either at the level of the organizers of the riders, teams or manufacturers," said Jean Todt, a press conference held on the occasion of his visit to rally Portugal, the sixth race of the season.

The Frenchman admitted that the League "needs more brands," since only Ford and Citroen are currently participating in the World Rally, and added that already met with other Constructors to increase the number of official teams.

"I've met with several Constructors, I will continue to do so and I hope I can encourage them to join the World Rally", said the maximum charge of the International Federation, which was accompanied by the President of the Automobile Club de Portugal ( ACP), Carlos Barbosa, at the press conference.

link:
http://www.record.xl.pt/noticia.aspx?id ... 0000000489

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 19:42  
F1 Rookie

luieluv wrote:
WRC: Jean Todt wants to raise the quality of the world Rally Championship

WANT EVEN MORE Constructors TO JOIN

The president of the International Automobile Federation (FIA), Frenchman Jean Todt, said today that it is working to raise the quality of the World Rally Championship and is trying to persuade more manufacturers to participate.

"The FIA has made an effort to raise the World Rally to another level, either at the level of the organizers of the riders, teams or manufacturers," said Jean Todt, a press conference held on the occasion of his visit to rally Portugal, the sixth race of the season.

The Frenchman admitted that the League "needs more brands," since only Ford and Citroen are currently participating in the World Rally, and added that already met with other Constructors to increase the number of official teams.

"I've met with several Constructors, I will continue to do so and I hope I can encourage them to join the World Rally", said the maximum charge of the International Federation, which was accompanied by the President of the Automobile Club de Portugal ( ACP), Carlos Barbosa, at the press conference.

link:
http://www.record.xl.pt/noticia.aspx?id ... 0000000489

Go Todt! I hope he makes as good a job with FIA like he did with Peugeot and Ferrari

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 18:46  
F1 Routinier

Control tyres confirmed for 2011 WRC

29th May 2010
By Charlie Contadeli

FIA President Jean Todt insists that there will be a one-make control tyre in the World Rally Championship next year and that the status quo will continue.

Pirelli is coming to the end of its initial three-year deal following the 2010 season, and has submitted a tender to supply the World Rally Championship with control tyres for another three years. The Italian firm has been the only company to tender for the deal.

Yet despite not yet confirming Pirelli, Todt insists that nothing will change next year. “If we have a change to the regulations, we will say so, but if there is no change there is no need to say anything,” he said. “I have already answered this question three times.”

However, the WRC teams have indicated that they are still waiting to learn of a decision from the FIA regarding tyres for next year. Citroen’s team principal Olivier Quesnel said: “We have no decision on tyres for next year. Pirelli is not signed and we don’t know anything for this. A single tyre is best for costs and for next year I hope everybody will be with Pirelli.”

The FIA is currently investigating the possibility of opening up the WRC to different tyre suppliers in the future, although the teams are against such a move. “I don’t think anybody would be in favour of that,” added Ford’s Malcolm Wilson.

link:
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/cont ... _2010_wrc/

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 11:08  
F1 Routinier

Fiesta time for Henning Solberg in Bulgaria?

Stobart driver Henning Solberg has said that he may contest the Rally Bulgaria in a Ford Fiesta Super 2000, after it was confirmed that former Junior World Rally Champion P-G Andersson will drive Solberg’s usual Ford Focus WRC on the event in early July.
“If I drive in Bulgaria, it will be with the Fiesta,” said Solberg - who also admitted that his participation in the all-asphalt Bulgarian event still hung in the balance. “We’ll have to wait and see.”

Bulgaria - along with Rallye Deutschland in August - never formed part of Solberg’s 2010 programme according to Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson. Solberg has never favoured asphalt rallies, with his best result on the surface being fourth place on the 2009 Rally Ireland.

Wilson also added that Andersson’s drive in Bulgaria was not part of a commercial deal but was instead fully funded. While Andersson is by no means an asphalt expert either, Wilson said that he was keen to take the Swedish youngster out of his comfort zone and see how he performed under pressure.

“It’ll be interesting to see what he makes of it,” said Wilson. “I think a few people have been watching him for a while. We’ve certainly always been aware of him.”
The Ford boss stressed that Andersson’s deal was a one-off for the time being, but that the door was open for further outings if he performed well.

Solberg is expected to return to the Expert-backed Ford Focus WRC for Rally Finland from July 29-31. Rumours about Solberg’s future began to surface on the Rally de Portugal, when he failed to show up for the official 2010 competitors’ photograph - with only his co-driver Ilka Minor representing the crew.

Source : WRC website

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 12:16  
F1 Rookie

Quote:
Meeke: Ogier will boost Peugeot

By David Evans Friday, June 4th 2010, 09:45 GMT

Kris Meeke has believes that having Rally of Portugal winner Sebastien Ogier in the Peugeot team for this week's Rally d'Italia-Sardegna will be a big boost for the French team.

Ogier has switched from the Citroen Total World Rally team to join the Northern Irishman in an expanded Peugeot line-up for the latest round of the Intercontinental Rally Challenge.

As well as defending IRC champion Meeke and Ogier, Bruno Magalhaes, Franz Wittman, Thierry Neuville, Paulo Andreucci and Burcu Cetinkaya will also drive 207 S2000s.

"Sebastien is a huge talent," Meeke said. "Anybody who can beat [Sebastien] Loeb has got to be. It's great to have him competing for Peugeot and sharing our area of the service park.

"With Seb on board we can pose a genuine challenge to the Skodas. We'll have to work very hard indeed to beat them. But try and beat them we will, because that's the best way to score points, not just in the drivers' title race, but also for Peugeot in the manufacturers."

Meeke lies fourth in the title race, 17 points behind Skoda's series leader Juho Hanninen.

Meeke's co-driver Paul Nagle added: "We've simply got to get everything right at Sardinia. It's the biggest field of the year so far. Along with the normal suspects we have P-G Andersson in a Mitsubishi and Andreas Mikkelsen in a Fiesta. We're looking for a good result this weekend. It's vital to our championship defence."

The event begins with a ceremonial start tonight, before running two full days on the gravely Sardinian roads over the weekend.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84120
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 16:39  
F1 Routinier

Teams want Pirelli to stay in WRC

Pirelli has moved to quell the fears of both Ford and Citroen by stating that it intends to remain in the World Rally Championship, even if its move into Formula 1 is signed off.

FIA president Jean Todt confirmed last week that the World Rally Championship will continue to be supplied with a control tyre beyond the end of Pirelli’s current three-year agreement which expires at the end of this season.

Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery said: "We have made it clear that we want to remain in the World Rally Championship no matter what happens elsewhere. Pirelli has a very strong heritage in rallying and that’s not something we are prepared to turn our back on. I think we have done a very good job working with the FIA as the control tyre supplier since the start of the 2008 season and I think the manufacturers feel the same way."

Pirelli was the only tyre firm which tendered for the next three-year agreement, but it has yet to reach an agreement with the FIA.
Jean Todt said: "The single tyre supplier will continue in the World Rally Championship, not indefinitely, but for now."

Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson praised the introduction of the control tyre, pointing out the considerable cost savings which had been made. He said: "That has definitely worked for this championship. Between 30 and 50 per cent of the costs we had were associated with tyre testing. It has to be Pirelli which continues. If we were to go back to open tyre competition, the costs would go straight back up. Nobody is in favour of the open tyre coming back. Pirelli has worked hard and it should stay."

Citroen's Olivier Quesnel echoed those sentiments, but added a word of caution. "Pirelli makes sense. I’m sure it’s the same with Ford, but our new car being developed with these tyres, but maybe we don’t have Pirelli if they get to F1. They will push everything for now, but when they come to F1, they say: "Oh sorry." When you don’t know the future, you push everything."

link:
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=10 ... tay+in+WRC

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 20:00  
F1 Rookie

Quote:
F1 and WRC will still clash next year
4th June 2010

By Anthony Peacock

The World Rally Championship and Formula 1 calendars will continue to clash next season, after FIA president Jean Todt admitted he had no problem with both series running events on the same weekend.

In previous seasons, the sports have been kept apart, but this year there are an unprecedented nine clashes – including the final rounds of both the World Rally Championship (Rally Great Britain) and the last race in the F1 calendar (the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix).

Todt said: “I don’t think it really does matter to have, at the same time, F1 race and World Rally Championship event. If we can avoid that, we will do it. But, you know, we have around 20 grads prix and 15 rallies. That means 35 [events] and, as you know, 52 weeks in a year. You cannot avoid to have some time the rally and F1 race. You must not forget there are other FIA world events: WTCC and GT1 and we have to live with all of them. That said, if we can improve, we will address in the World Motor Sport Council next year.”

http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/f1_a ... next_year/
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 17:55  
F1 Rookie

Quote:
Andreucci leads amid Sardinia drama

By Matt Beer Saturday, June 5th 2010, 09:18 GMT

Paolo Andreucci, Peugeot, Sardinia 2010Local star Paolo Andreucci leads Intercontinental Rally Challenge champion Kris Meeke by 0.1 seconds in Sardinia, as Sebastien Ogier, Guy Wilks and Andreas Mikkelsen all fell by the wayside before the opening stage was over.

With last night's planned Cagliari superspecial cancelled six weeks ago due to funding issues, the rally officially started with SS2, the tough 28-kilometre Monte Grighine test.

World Rally Championship star Ogier stopped his Peugeot with a puncture initially, and then pulled up for good shortly afterwards with a mechanical problem and smoke from under the bonnet.

He was not the only big name in trouble on SS2, as Wilks (Skoda UK) crashed in the early miles. The Briton has been airlifted to hospital as a precaution having reported some back pain after the accident.

IRC newcomer Mikkelsen went off nearby, rolling and getting his Ford stuck off the road. Fellow WRC rising star P-G Andersson was yet another victim of SS2, hitting a rock and having to stop to attend to damage on his Group N Mitsubishi, which cost him four minutes.

That left Skoda's Jan Kopecky leading at the end of the stage ahead of Peugeot drivers Meeke and Andreucci. The latter had lost a little time with a puncture near the end of the stage, but a clear run through SS3 allowed him to show what he could do - and Andreucci duly took the stage win and jumped into a narrow lead.

Kopecky went in the other direction, hitting a rock and sustaining tyre and possible suspension damage. He fell to fourth, behind his championship-leading team-mate Juho Hanninen, who has been struggling for grip due to running first on the road since Ogier's early exit.

:blink:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84149
 Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 107  Next