Thanks everybody Lampinen waits for Kimi's pace to improve
Turun Sanomat 5.5 2010 22:26:21
Rally legend Simo Lampinen lives nowadays in Germany but on Tuesday he was walking in Turku TS car & communication museum and talked a lot as he usually does. Lampinen who works for FIA is still following closely the WRC-serie.
– Kimi Räikkönen coming into rally has been an interesting and positive thing. I would have thought myself that Kimi would drive better than we have already seen.
– I talked with Kimi in Rally Turkey and it seems like he is finding the notes little by little. It's clear that he enjoys the relaxed rally world more than the paddock-life in F1 where everything is planned millimeter by millimeter and minute by minute.
According to Lampinen Räikkönen should get in the speed of the top drivers in the near future. That's when it can be probable that Räikkönen will rise to fight for the WRC-championship one day.
– It can't take much more than over one year if you are championship-material. The top speed has to be found during next season.
Lampinen is one of the few Finnish rally drivers who have created an international job career in the managment of car races after his own driving career was over. Lampinen has worked hard in many places but right now he is mostly seen as WRC-serie's safety group's member.
– The safety group goes and checks that the route and the other arrangements are in order. After that they leave the organisers two-three months to rectify possible lacks.
– I don't go to all races, I take some three or four races per year. Last year I was in Rally Turkey.