Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
ds_pimp
car driver
car driver

Re: Rally News

Post by ds_pimp » 04 Sep 2012, 15:58

Can someone get the oficial photos of ADAC? since new zeeland nobody could get them :( ... Please someone?

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 15 Oct 2012, 18:59

So bye bye Ford, just when they might win the championship with Loeb (almost) gone.

Suomileijona
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suomileijona » 17 Oct 2012, 08:09

So, now it is official: Jari-Matti Latvala will drive at VW next year! :) I'm very happy for him! :)

http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com/we ... 37&id=5160

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 27 Nov 2012, 19:41

Rally is not cheap even for former WDC. MTV3 tells that according VG magazine Petter Solberg had to pay 140 000 euros for last season:

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutise ... ilmaiseksi (in Finnish)

Now he is willing to drive for free but no longer to pay for it:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104566
Petter Solberg willing to drive for free to stay in WRC
By David Evans Sunday, November 25th 2012, 14:05 GMT

Petter SolbergFormer World Rally champion Petter Solberg is ready to drive for free to retain his WRC place next season.

The Norwegian revealed to AUTOSPORT that he does not want to end his career in the WRC and will do all he can to remain in the sport in 2013.

Solberg has driven for the works Ford team this season, but could struggle to retain his place in the squad due to his decision not to pay for the seat.

"I don't want to end my time in the championship like this," said Solberg.

"This has been a tough season, but I know what I'm capable of and I know what this car is capable of next season. I really want to stay and I know I still have a lot to offer the team and the sport."

Ford's decision to withdraw its backing for the team has left Malcolm Wilson's squad looking for more funding next year and the Cumbrian has emphasised his need to run drivers who come with financial support in 2013.

"I completely understand Malcolm's position," said Solberg. "But at the same time I have paid to drive for the last four years and I'm not in the same position as some of the young guys who want to pay and invest to drive to start their careers.

"Malcolm is the best at what he does, this team is the best and I want to stay part of it next year - which is why I am absolutely prepared to drive for free."
Gives some perspective to pay driver discussion :fear:

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 05 Dec 2012, 08:00

http://www.wrc.com/news/solberg-confirm ... ?fid=18037
Solberg confirms WRC exit for 2013

Petter Solberg has revealed his sadness after confirming that he won't take part in next year's FIA World Rally Championship.

The charismatic Norwegian, world champion in 2003, has announced in a statement that he will “explore and direct focus in a different direction in his successful and decorated career”.

His decision brings to an end a 15-year stint in the WRC. In 188 starts at world level, Solberg won 13 rallies, finished second 15 times and came home third on 24 occasions. He scored 852 points and set 456 fastest stage times.

“I am so grateful and happy for what I have experienced during my 15 years in the WRC,” said Solberg. “For now it’s really quite sad, you know, I would have loved to have driven for a few more years, but I do realise there will not be a WRC programme for me next year. I have said I am willing to drive for free, but at this point, I will not pay to drive. This is not to say that you will never again see me in a WRC car, but for now, I think it’s best.”

Solberg, who had been vying for the third Qatar M-Sport World Rally Team seat for next year, continued: “I know I am good enough to fight in the top for many years still, but I fully understand the difficult financial situation for the 2013 season for M-Sport, so I wish the team all the best in the future.”

The 38-year-old Solberg made his WRC debut in Sweden in 1998 before being signed by Ford after being talent-spotted by the Blue Oval. However, he left in controversial circumstances midway through 2000 to join Subaru where he won his first and only world crown three years later. Following Subaru’s withdrawal from the WRC at the end of 2008, Solberg established his own team with some success before returning to Ford in 2012. Co-driven by Chris Patterson, he finished fifth in the standings on 124 points.

Solberg concluded by thanking his legion of fans around the world, adding: “The sport has given me so much, but I want to give a special thank you to all of my fans that have supported me through thick and thin, and given me such a great feeling about what I do, and for being a large reason of why I do it. I do hope you all understand, and I hope you’ll continue to follow me on to my next venture. I promise to bring you something worthy of this. My team and I are hard at work as you read this, and we can’t wait to let you know what are plans are.”

ds_pimp
car driver
car driver

Post by ds_pimp » 11 Dec 2012, 18:00

Can someone get the oficial Citroen photos of France? ... Please someone? thanks for all the work :)

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 15 Dec 2012, 17:49

Neuville and Ostberg for M-Sport, all rounds!

What have Citroen done?! They shoved Ogier out to keep Loeb happy. Now 12 months later they've lost Ogier and Neuville to VW and M-Sport!!

ernie_theracefan
car driver
car driver

Post by ernie_theracefan » 05 Jan 2013, 09:05

does anyone have a news from Hyundai..??

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 11 Jan 2013, 06:01

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/436 ... a+Latvalan (in Finnish)
Räikkönen's progress in rally convinced Hirvonen and Latvala
F1 | Turun Sanomat 01/10/2013 23:24

World Rally Championship medalists Mikko Hirvonen and Jari-Matti Latvala believe that the Formula One World Championship medalist Kimi Räikkönen's results have improved also on rally roads, if he had continued to the third season in rally.

Raikkonen returned after two years rally to F1 and drove for the first time in his career all the races throughout the season from start to finish. After the rally experience, Kimi was better in all weather conditions.

Rally drivers were not surprised about performance of Räikkönen who crowned his comeback season with the win in Abu Dhabi GP.

- Well, it was not really a surprise. That dude knows how to drive and F1 results depends even more on car than in rally. When I heard about Kimi's return to F1, I thought that if the car is good, he will be fine - and Kimi did well, Hirvonen pointed out to Turun Sanomat.

Raikkonen drove 21 World Championship rallies and was 11 times on points. A total of 59 points with the best result of fifth place in the Turkish Rally in 2010 and the best single achievement was the last stage best time German rally in 2010, which year later would have scored three championship points.

A matter of interest and enthusiasm

Would the results of Räikkönen have improved if he had continued with Citroen in 2011? (??? I think Heikki means 2012)

- The results would certainly had improved, but how much depends on how much enthusiasm and interest Kimi would have had for practicing pace note making and testing. How high it would have been enough, was left unseen, but the pace would definitely have improved in the third season, Hirvonen mused.

Latvala thanked that Räikkönen brought a lot of journalists, a lot of fans and a lot of positive publicity to rallies.

- In the first year Kimi's of improvement came quickly, such as fifth place in Turkey and top time in a special stage in Germany. Problems of course, was clearly making the notes and being able to drive on notes.

- In the second year Kimi's program was clearly more limited, and progress was less rapid. Perhaps sustainability to make notes and run tests would have been needed more, Latvala added up.

Also Volkswagen's new Finnish driver is convinced about Kimi's performance in rally.

- A couple of years more making notes and testing would have been required that Kimi would have been in steady pace of top five and fought for podium places, Latvala stated.

Return to the rally still possible

Raikkonen has repeatedly emphasized that although he would most prefer to drive F1 and rally in turns, he understands that it is not possible.

Räikkönen's commendable mentor Kaj Lindström joined this season Jari Ketomaa and driver duo debuted at World Championship level in the Swedish Rally in February.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Jan 2013, 19:42

Loeb wins the Monte.

My pre-season title tip - Ogier - finished 2nd and assumes effective lead of the championship.

ds_pimp
car driver
car driver

Post by ds_pimp » 23 Jan 2013, 17:18

Can someone get the oficial photos? ... thanks for all the work

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 11 Feb 2013, 10:00

So apparently Ogier has won for VW in Sweden. This is massive, not only because it's the new team's second race, but also in Sweden of all places!

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, not the least of which would be a well needed wave of fresh air and renewal in the WRC. As has been said, Citroën have let go Loeb's most likely successor to a well-funded rival team with all the technical knowledge he had gathered over the years. Do Hirvonen and Sordo have it in them to claim more championships for the marque? They may well face unexpectedly strong competition. As for how the VW team will fare with two drivers as hot-headed as Ogier and Latvala, well... too soon to say, but it should be interesting.

olivierk
car driver
car driver

Post by olivierk » 13 Feb 2013, 04:54

Latvala's never really been hot-headed, and Ogier is showing that maybe he learned some control from Loeb after all (although that could just be because things are going so well!).

What they both are, though, is fast, and the Polo R certainly seems the business. It'll be interesting to see if Citroen have any answers on the dirt, but they're looking distinctly second best (especially if you take Loeb out of the frame) at the moment.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 10 Mar 2013, 18:31

Latvala crashes, Citroen not good enough, M-Sport has problems, Ogier wins.

Repeat until the end of the season.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 12 Mar 2013, 15:40

phil1993 wrote:Latvala crashes, Citroen not good enough, M-Sport has problems, Ogier wins.
The season going this way was always inevitable as soon as Loeb announced he'd be running part time.