Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Rally News

Post by F1Fan88 » 28 Jan 2011, 16:31

12 days before the World Championship beginning in Sweden, confirms Solberg to NTB that he is still missing 30 percent of the money it takes to fight for World Cup title in 2011.

http://www.vg.no/sport/motor/artikke...artid=10037764

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 28 Jan 2011, 19:21

I didn't know where to post this one, but I thought Sleenie would like it:

:lol:

Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ice-Ludy » 28 Jan 2011, 21:36

Mar wrote:I didn't know where to post this one, but I thought Sleenie would like it:

Great pic Mar!!! :lol: :lol:
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 28 Jan 2011, 22:24

Mar wrote:I didn't know where to post this one, but I thought Sleenie would like it:

Awwwww Mar, for me? How sweet of you :shhh: :lol:

YiNing
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by YiNing » 28 Jan 2011, 22:24

:lol: Cheeky Mikko

Last year at the Rally GB autograph session, after I got one set of all the Ford drivers/co-driver signatures I asked Mikko if I could have another one for my friend. He said sure, signed and gave me another set. Then he asked, do you want 3rd? I said sure, he signed and gave me the 3rd set... Then he asked "do you want 4th?" with that cheeky look on his face... :lol: :lol: I wish Kimi can be like that sometimes :zz:

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 31 Jan 2011, 14:28

Saw on Petters website that he said that he like the car. It was very diferent, but it actually felt quicker(than the C4). Could that be because of the shorter weelbase? Makes it feel more nervous, perhaps?

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 31 Jan 2011, 14:33

One of the reasons the new cars are even faster than the old WRC-cars (C4 and Focus) is that they’re lighter. The motor is also smaller, but the weight difference makes up for it.

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 31 Jan 2011, 14:47

Press Release
The New World Rally Car
31/01/2011

After more than a decade of two-litre turbo-charged World Rally Cars, 2011 heralds a new and exciting era for the FIA World Rally Championship with the introduction of 1.6 litre turbo-charged machinery.

Why the change to a new formula?
There are a number of reasons for change. The old formula was successful, with seven manufacturers homologating two-litre World Rally Cars, but it was time to rejuvenate the category. The 1.6 litre production vehicle is the preferred route for manufacturers, thanks to its energy efficiency. The FIA recognises the need to ally motor sport with such commercial and environmental considerations and is at the forefront of driving these issues.

In addition, there was a need to considerably reduce the cost of participation in the FIA World Rally Championship, not only to make it more sustainable for those manufacturers already involved, but to attract new makes and teams.

It is satisfying to see that the work of the FIA and various WRC stakeholders is paying dividends, with the welcome participation of one new manufacturer in 2011. Ford and Citroën continue to commit to the Championship and the FIA is delighted to welcome the return of MINI. It is hoped that more manufacturers will follow suit in the near future.

What is the specification of the new World Rally Car that will compete from 2011?
The car is based on the Super 2000 concept; this is the same formula as the World Touring Car, thereby potentially allowing a manufacturer to compete in both categories without additional development costs. The World Rally Car has a 1.6 litre direct injection turbo-charged engine and overall is considerably less complex with fewer electronics. Durability is also important, and certain parts will have to be homologated to withstand a much longer competition life.

How does the World Rally Car vary from the Super 2000 car?
Internally it is not too different to the 2011 Super 2000 car. The most notable change is the aerodynamic package, which includes a different front bumper and larger rear wing, giving the World Rally Car an extra visual dimension.

What is the process for homologating this World Rally Car?
Initially the manufacturer’s base Super 2000 car must be homologated. After this, a Manufacturer or WRC Team registered for the Championship can adapt this car to a World Rally Car with the addition of the aerodynamic kit and other specified but restricted parts.

Will drivers need to adapt their style of driving with these cars?
The new car will certainly not be any easier to drive. In the old World Rally Car there were a number of electronic aids, including the gearshift and launch control. Previously the ECU software was also free, and wheel and gearbox speeds could be monitored; these electronically controlled elements are all now prohibited. As an example, the new World Rally Car has no centre differential or steering wheel mounted paddle shift, resulting in a totally manual gearshift. Cost reduction has been a serious consideration in the concept of the new World Rally Car, but so has the ‘show’. These cars will look, perform and sound more spectacular and provide greater entertainment.

What is the performance difference between the old and new generation World Rally Car?
The new World Rally Car will be marginally slower on the stages, but the revs on the 1.6 litre engine will be higher and this, combined with fewer driver aids, will make the car look more impressive in competition. It is about improving the spectacle; that is not just about speed.

How have the new regulations encouraged MINI to enter the WRC?
MINI’s decision to enter the WRC was influenced not only by the costs, but also the chances of success. The new regulations offer a very attractive platform for MINI with an excellent cost/performance ratio. The goal is to win the World Championship, and the belief is with the new regulations this is an achievable aim. However, MINI realises such successes will only come with hard work.

The 1.6-litre turbo engine derived from the MINI production models was developed by BMW Motorsport for use in a wide range of racing series. That means the cost of expensive engine development is greatly reduced and the same engine can, for the first time, be used in two different motorsport World Championships (FIA WRC and FIA WTCC), and the sale of customer rally cars has been another factor that influenced the decision. The WRC provides MINI with an attractive platform coupled with reasonable costs.

Ian Robertson, a member of the Board of Management, Sales and Marketing BMW Group, said: “The new regulations mean the gap to the top is smaller than it would have been at another time. The costs of developing a car and running it in the World Rally Championship have fallen significantly since the introduction of the new FIA Super 2000 regulations. We assume the costs will be about 25 per cent lower than would have been the case in previous years. This was a huge influence on our decision to become involved.”

How has the introduction of the new World Rally Car reduced costs for manufacturers?
The basic cost of the car is less, there are fewer electronic aids and the regulations state that components must last longer. In the near future, the life of engines and gearboxes – in particular – will be further extended, adding to the cost reduction. In total, it is anticipated that the cost of competing in a complete season will be reduced by at least 30%.

The new generation of World Rally Cars use materials that are more in line with production cars; what difference has this made?
In order to help reduce costs, the life/cost ratio of various components has been analysed and when it has been possible to use the production car parts, this has been done. However, there are still a number of parts that clearly need reinforcement, not only for competition but safety reasons.

The cars are now smaller; has this had any impact on the safety features that can be incorporated?
Back in 2008, the FIA - with the help of the FIA Institute - made significant progress with the introduction of the Advanced Side Impact System, which also incorporated use of a new specification racing seat. Working together, these developments were a further step in improving safety and were designed to help save drivers and co-drivers from serious injury in the event of a high speed side or rear impact accident. With the introduction of smaller and more compact cars this level of safety had to be maintained. Working with the manufacturers, the FIA developed an updated package, enabling the teams to incorporate them more easily into the design of the car. Equally important, the introduction of the new cars means that these elements can be cascaded down to the lower category of cars, further improving overall safety in the sport.
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pr ... w-car.aspx

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 31 Jan 2011, 14:58

31 Jan 11
Solberg enthused following maiden DS3
test Petter Solberg has described Citroen’s new DS3 World Rally Car as being “good fun to drive” following his first test in the machine in Sweden last Saturday.

The 2003 world champion will contest all 13 rounds of this year’s WRC in a factory-supplied DS3, starting with next week’s Rally Sweden.

Co-driven by Northern Irish navigator Chris Patterson, Solberg covered approximately 260 kilometres during the test held in cold and snowy conditions.

Afterwards he said: “It was good fun to drive, I liked it a lot. One day for a test is never enough but I did what I could. The car was easy to drive to be honest. It had good balance and is neutral, which I like.”

Solberg is now trying to arrange a final test before the pre-rally reconnaissance begins next Tuesday (8 February). “I want to drive the car again before the rally just to check a few things,” he said.

Given his lack of time in the DS3, Solberg has lowered his expectations ahead of the Karlstad-based season-opener, which runs from 10-13 February.

“I hope to be on the podium but that’s it really,” said the 36-year-old. “It’s going to be a very difficult rally and for me it’s all about getting to understand the car and preparing for the next tests and then for [round two of the WRC in] Mexico.”

Solberg’s eponymous team is planning to run a new livery in 2011, which is expected to be unveiled shortly.
http://www.wrc.com/news/solberg-enthuse ... ?fid=14061

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 31 Jan 2011, 15:00

Solberg rules out winning start in Sweden
News
31st January 2011
By Giles Wade

Petter Solberg has ruled out a winning start to his 2011 World Rally Championship campaign in Sweden next week after admitting that he needs more time in his Citroen DS3 WRC.

Solberg, 36, drove the French machine for the first time in Sweden last Saturday. Although he managed approximately 260 kilometres during the test alongside co-driver Chris Patterson, he said he was lacking in knowledge of the car.

“One day for a test is never enough and I want to drive the car again before the rally just to check a few things,” said Solberg. “I hope to be on the podium [in Sweden] but that’s it really. It’s going to be a very difficult rally and, for me, it’s all about getting to understand the car and preparing for the next tests and then for [round two of the WRC in] Mexico.”

Solberg is hoping to arrange another test before reconnaissance gets underway next Tuesday. However, his status as a priority driver could potentially scupper those plans under revised testing regulations for 2011.

Despite his lack of time in the car Solberg said he is already a fan of the DS3: “It was good fun to drive, I liked it a lot. The car was easy to drive, it had good balance and is neutral, which I like.”
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/solb ... in_sweden/

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 31 Jan 2011, 17:17

Thanks a lot momo! :thumbsup:

In my opinion, Solberg is right in one thing: the works drivers have done loads of kilometres with the new cars, but the customers have not tested or have barely tested them yet. The few first rallies will be tough for the customers, especially since they can't risk pushing too hard (there're no spare cars yet). They will be in a clear disadvantage.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 31 Jan 2011, 20:07

I wonder if van Merksteijn has even gotten to test yet, considering that he signed before Kimi and Petter did, or does he have to give up his testing days too :roll::

Edit: A side note: Holey moley, look at all those Fiestas :blink:
http://twitpic.com/3v86ay

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 31 Jan 2011, 20:45

sleenster wrote:I wonder if van Merksteijn has even gotten to test yet, considering that he signed before Kimi and Petter did, or does he have to give up his testing days too :roll::

Edit: A side note: Holey moley, look at all those Fiestas :blink:
http://twitpic.com/3v86ay
:blink: ¡Madre mía!
Why can't Citroën produce DS3 at the same speed.

About van Merksteijn, I'm afraid (but I'm guessing) that he has not seen a DS3 yet, except in pictures. :zz:

I don't see the logic behind Citroën statements. They say, they don't really need the customer drivers, but they rented van Merksteijn a car when they thought they would not be able to catch Kimi and Solberg for 2011. Of course, when they managed to get the two "media" guys, they left van Merksteijn without a car. They say they don't really need the customers, that they're just making a favour to the championship, letting other drivers drive their cars until there're enough manufacturers, but Quesnel complains about Kimi not wanting to pay for the whole season.

And then, rumours say, that Citroën won't have the 5th SD3 ready until Sardinia. But Solberg, Kimi and van Merksteijn are supposed to do Rally Portugal. Since I can't imagine Citroën leaving Loeb or Ogier without a car to drive, that makes 5 drivers and only 4 cars for Portugal. :roll::

Loiste
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Loiste » 31 Jan 2011, 22:08

Mar wrote:Since I can't imagine Citroën leaving Loeb or Ogier without a car to drive, that makes 5 drivers and only 4 cars for Portugal. :roll::
no) For cars were ready for Sweden. They already build more cars than 4. I'll try to explain :

001 - 003 - cars for tests (one of them has already destroyed by Ogier)
Constructed to the 1 st December :
004-005 - cars for Loeb
006-007 - cars for Ogier
Constructed to the 27 th December :
008 - car for van M. He let Petter have it for Sweden
009 - car for Kimi in Sweden
Constructed to the 15th Jan :
010 - Kimi's car №2
Cars 011, 012, 013 are under constraction now
011 - car for Petter, it will be ready to 10-12 february, this car is for Mexico
012-013 - Petter's cars, one will be ready to 7 march, second one - to the beginning of april.
Speed of car construction 23-25 days.
:O

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 01 Feb 2011, 15:19

Loiste wrote:
Mar wrote:Since I can't imagine Citroën leaving Loeb or Ogier without a car to drive, that makes 5 drivers and only 4 cars for Portugal. :roll::
no) For cars were ready for Sweden. They already build more cars than 4. I'll try to explain :

001 - 003 - cars for tests (one of them has already destroyed by Ogier)
Constructed to the 1 st December :
004-005 - cars for Loeb
006-007 - cars for Ogier
Constructed to the 27 th December :
008 - car for van M. He let Petter have it for Sweden
009 - car for Kimi in Sweden
Constructed to the 15th Jan :
010 - Kimi's car №2
Cars 011, 012, 013 are under constraction now
011 - car for Petter, it will be ready to 10-12 february, this car is for Mexico
012-013 - Petter's cars, one will be ready to 7 march, second one - to the beginning of april.
Speed of car construction 23-25 days.
:O

thanx Loiste, for explaining the car-dilemma ! :wave: