Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally News

Post by luieluv » 26 Jan 2011, 11:31

Sebastien Loeb expects exciting WRC season

Rally fans around the world are set for an exciting season of world championship action, according to the man who has dominated the sport for almost a decade.

With 15 days to go until the start of the new campaign in Sweden, seven-time world champion Sebastien Loeb says the introduction of the new technical regulations will create an air of unpredictability and result in an ‘exciting’ battle for title glory.

French hero Loeb, who is chasing an unprecedented eighth world crown, will drive Citroen’s DS3 WRC this year. He is one of 13 drivers who have got their hands on one of the new generation World Rally Cars for Rally Sweden, which opens the new season in Karlstad from 10-13 February.

Speaking at Citroen Racing’s 2011 launch earlier this week, the 36-year-old Loeb said: “When the regulation doesn’t change between the years and you have one car, which is stronger than the others in all the previous seasons, at the start of the next season it won’t be so different than it was before so could expect to continue in the same way.

“Now for sure a lot of things have changed with new drivers, new cars for everybody and a new manufacturer, so it makes it more exciting. It’s always a bit of a surprise when a new car is coming with a new regulation where there is no point of comparison.

“Even for us it is difficult to know if what we have done is good or not because you cannot compare this car to the C4. It’s not like when we passed from the Xsara to the C4, where the regulation was stable and you could compare one car to the other on this surface or the other. This situation is completely different.”

Loeb is currently carrying out a four-day test in Sweden with team-mate Sebastien Ogier. He has won the snow rally on one previous occasion when he triumphed in 2004, the year of his first world title triumph.
http://www.wrc.com/news/loeb-expects-ex ... ?fid=14052
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 26 Jan 2011, 22:41

They were saying on TotalRally that Hanninen should get the VW seat, but apparently Al-Attiyah is preferred for their first season.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 27 Jan 2011, 12:15

French marque could return for first time in four decades
27/01/2011 12:29

Renault could be poised to enter the World Rally Championship, this week’s Motorsport News reports.

Although no timeframe has been given, it is understood that the new regulations permitting 1.6-litre turbocharged engines has sparked the French marque’s interest in returning to rallying’s top flight for the first time since the 1980s.

Although Renault already produce cars homologated for the N4, R3, R2 and R1 classes, any WRC programme would represent a significant step up in resources and funding.

“In some shape or form Renault has always been involved in rallying, but the change in regulations certainly make it easier to participate at the top level,” MN’s source revealed. “The prospect of being represented at every level is very interesting for Renault.”

Ford and Citroen will be joined by Mini in this season’s WRC, while VW’s arrival is also expected. That increase in competition, the manufacturer’s uncertain future in Formula 1 and suitable engine regulations might just be enough to lure Renault back into the sport.
http://www.motorstv.com/car/rally/wrc/2 ... wrc-future

Denorth
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Denorth » 27 Jan 2011, 13:15

there are rumors that Russian Eugene is coming back to WRC. there is no info on which team he will join.

you might remember him by this jump in Finland '09

These Colours Don't Run!

Kimi, Always Kimi

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 27 Jan 2011, 15:02

German WRC TV coverage to hit new high in 2011
WRC Jan 27, 2011

A new two-year television deal announced today will give World Rally Championship fans living in Germany the chance to watch more coverage of the sport than ever before.

North One Sport, the promoter of the WRC, has reached an exclusive agreement with German free to air broadcaster SPORT1 to show the championship in 2011 and 2012.

With network coverage of 94 percent, SPORT1 reaches 33 million households throughout Germany and is available free to view on terrestrial networks and on digital via satellite.

The deal will provide fans in Germany with extensive season-long coverage of the WRC including up to four hours of programming per rally – more than ever before – and live coverage of the new ‘Power Stages’ on up to 13 rallies.

A series of newsflash and daily highlights programmes will be screened throughout each rally and each event will be supported by a preview and one-hour review show. Analysis of the action will come from SPORT1’s expert commentary team which includes former works team driver and WRC rally winner Armin Schwarz.

SPORT1’s WRC programming begins on 4 February, one week before Rally Sweden, the opening round of the season. The channel’s rally programming from Sweden includes live coverage of the first Power Stage on 13 February
http://www.rallybuzz.com/german-wrc-tv-2011/

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 27 Jan 2011, 15:06

Kriss wrote:
German WRC TV coverage to hit new high in 2011
WRC Jan 27, 2011

A new two-year television deal announced today will give World Rally Championship fans living in Germany the chance to watch more coverage of the sport than ever before.

North One Sport, the promoter of the WRC, has reached an exclusive agreement with German free to air broadcaster SPORT1 to show the championship in 2011 and 2012.

With network coverage of 94 percent, SPORT1 reaches 33 million households throughout Germany and is available free to view on terrestrial networks and on digital via satellite.

The deal will provide fans in Germany with extensive season-long coverage of the WRC including up to four hours of programming per rally – more than ever before – and live coverage of the new ‘Power Stages’ on up to 13 rallies.

A series of newsflash and daily highlights programmes will be screened throughout each rally and each event will be supported by a preview and one-hour review show. Analysis of the action will come from SPORT1’s expert commentary team which includes former works team driver and WRC rally winner Armin Schwarz.

SPORT1’s WRC programming begins on 4 February, one week before Rally Sweden, the opening round of the season. The channel’s rally programming from Sweden includes live coverage of the first Power Stage on 13 February
http://www.rallybuzz.com/german-wrc-tv-2011/
Thanks Kriss. Good news.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 27 Jan 2011, 17:20

Quesnel praises van Merksteijn Jr gesture

Citroen Racing chief Olivier Quesnel has paid tribute to new customer Peter van Merksteijn Jr after the Dutchman agreed to surrender his DS3 WRC to enable Petter Solberg to contest the world championship-opening Rally Sweden next month.

Solberg inked a late deal to drive a DS3 WRC on all 13 rounds of the world championship earlier this month but there were fears that a car would not be available for him to drive on the Karlstad-based rally owing to Citroen’s restricted build schedule.

Van Merksteijn Jr, whose programme was due to start in Scandinavia, has agreed to let Solberg use his car in Sweden and will now delay his WRC debut with the French manufacturer until Vodafone Rally de Portugal at the end of March.

Quesnel said: “Petter has finally signed late in the day but he will indeed run in all 13 rallies. For Peter van Merksteijn Jr I would like to thank him because it’s thanks to him that Petter races in Sweden. He has given him his car for that rally.”

Van Merksteijn Motorsport team manager Gerard Grove added: “We had an agreement for Sweden but there were not enough cars available for that event. Following a very good discussion with Citroen Racing we have decided to not take part to give Petter the possibility of driving there. We will now go to Argentina instead of Sweden.”

Although Citroen plans to build at least 15 DS3 WRCs in 2011, a decision was taken late last year to only ready four cars for Sweden with the remainder being constructed during the course of the season.

Xavier Mestelan-Pinon, Citroen Racing’s technical manager, explained: “Peter van Merksteijn was the first to sign, then Kimi [Raikkonen] said he wanted a car and then Petter, but there were no cars for Petter. It was impossible at the start of the season [because] I don’t have enough chassis or engine. In the past, all customers drive the old C4, but now it’s the new car and so all the customers must have the new car.”
http://www.wrc.com/news/quesnel-praises ... ?fid=14054

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 27 Jan 2011, 17:26

Thanks luieluv! :)

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 27 Jan 2011, 17:27

momo wrote:Thanks luieluv! :)
always welcome. :)

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 27 Jan 2011, 20:38

Google translate:
Solberg missing 10 million

Oslo (AFP): About 10 million is missing from Petter Solberg's (36) budget to carry out a full season in the WRC.

15 days before the World Rally Championship begins in Sweden, Solberg confirms to NTB that he is still missing 30 percent of the money it takes to fight for World Rally Championship title in 2011.

- I work around the clock to get everything in place and are talking with several potential sponsors. There are still places available for sponsors on the hood, rear fender and the front of my cap," said Petter Solberg.

Last season, Solberg had a budget of over 30 million. There is reason to believe that the amount needed is larger this year.

For months, the 2003 world champion struggled to gain access to the best equipment in a season where new cars will be introduced. Finally an agreement with Citroën was in place.

- I'll run my own team, but rent a car from Citroën. It is a little more expensive than buying, but it is the only option. I've said yes to the agreement, but have not signed anything yet. First I need a budget.

The agreement to use one of the new Citroën DS 3 WRC cars have been sitting longer than deep in the French automaker, which wants the reigning champion Sebastien Loeb and the youngster Sebastien Ogier at the top of the podium.

Also, former Formula 1 world champion Kimi Räikkönen (31) has an agreement with Citroen to drive their car in this year's World Rally Championship for ten rounds.
http://www.an.no/bil/article5467513.ece

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 27 Jan 2011, 22:46

Thanks, Sleenie!

Renting the car is more expensive than buying it? Interesting. Maybe because they give you another car if you crash one? (no clue).

He says there that he will be running his own team but rent the car from Citroën. Does anybody know if he’s going to keep on working with his mechanics? Or will he do like Kimi and use CJT’s?

I knew he didn’t have the budget for the whole season yet, but I thought that he had already signed and agreement for at least the few first rallies. Amazing that Citroën gives him the car without a signed contract.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 28 Jan 2011, 02:37

Mar wrote:Thanks, Sleenie!

Renting the car is more expensive than buying it? Interesting. Maybe because they give you another car if you crash one? (no clue).

He says there that he will be running his own team but rent the car from Citroën. Does anybody know if he’s going to keep on working with his mechanics? Or will he do like Kimi and use CJT’s?

I knew he didn’t have the budget for the whole season yet, but I thought that he had already signed and agreement for at least the few first rallies. Amazing that Citroën gives him the car without a signed contract.
I remember last year Petter was saying that one of the ways his privateer team was different from the factory team was that the factory team changes certain parts in the car at the end of each day during the rally. But since Petter has to pay Citroen for every single part, his mechanics were just taking the parts out of the car at the end of the day and checking them. They only replaced it if it was absolutely necessary. I'm assuming that now that Citroen are running the car, they're going to insisting on changing everything at the end of each day.

Since the car is brought back to the factory between rallies, it might be possible that Petter's mechanics might be from Citroen but I'm not sure, I'm just speculating as well.

Yeah, I find it kind of strange that Petter is confirmed for 13 rallies with Citroen but he doesn't actually have the budget in place. Whereas Kimi has the money for all 13 rallies but he only chose to take part in 10. But Petter did say something about taking part in Sweden and then after that really trying to get the rest of his season together. But 10 million seems like a lot of difference to make up when he's already confirmed 13 rallies. :confused:

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 28 Jan 2011, 07:51

Quesnel: Solberg relations better now

By David Evans Friday, January 28th 2011, 07:12 GMT

Citroen team principal Olivier Quesnel says working with Petter Solberg on last week's Monte Carlo Rally has helped his relationship with the Norwegian ahead of this year.

Solberg made his debut in the Peugeot Sport team on the Intercontinental Rally Challenge opener, running alongside Bryan Bouffier and Stephane Sarrazin.

The 2003 world champion was brought in at the specific request of Quesnel - who oversees both brands' motorsport programmes.

Solberg has driven a customer specification Citroen for the last two seasons in the World Rally Championship and has often called on Quesnel to help him battle against the factory cars - something Quesnel has steered clear of, putting a strain on their relationship.

But Quesnel says he has seen a different side to Solberg since the Monte Carlo.

"He is a good guy," said Quesnel. "I know him better now after we worked together. He came to this team [Peugeot Sport] for Monte and he worked for the whole team, he worked really hard for the whole team. I like the guy, really I like him now. I understand him better now and that will help this year."

Quesnel is adamant Solberg received the same equipment as Sebastien Loeb last season and will do the same again this year.

"Last year he had exactly the same car as Loeb and his car was faster than [Sebastien] Ogier's car," said Quesnel.

"Like I told Petter: 'I'm sorry, I've got the boss Seb and Ogier in the team and that means I do think they are faster than you - maybe I'm wrong, but that's it for me.' But, of course, this year, he has the same car - they are all the same car."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89109

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 28 Jan 2011, 13:37

Q&A: Sebastien Loeb

Sebastien Loeb will be 37 by the time the 2011 World Rally Championship season draws to a close on Wales Rally GB in November.

Having won the WRC drivers’ title for the last seven years, Loeb is a safe bet to take an eighth crown in his Citroen Total World Rally Team DS3 WRC. But, as he told WRC.com, a new car and the threat posed by several rivals, winning the championship again is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Are you ready for Rally Sweden?
“We have done two tests and we will test again there this week. I like to drive there when the conditions are good but it’s not the rally where I feel the best. Also the DS3 is more nervous than the C4 in fast sections and on snow and ice this is not so easy. For that reason I don’t think we will see all the potential of the car in Sweden.”

Does Jari-Matti Latvala’s testing crash and the subsequent disruption it has caused to Ford’s preparations help you?
“No because I think they are quite ready. We will not change a lot on the car during our last test because the question is to validate. I don’t know their level of development but I’m sure they will be competitive.”

Who out of the two Finns, Latvala and Mikko Hirvonen, do you fear the most?
“Last year Mikko was very fast at the start but all the rest of the season Latvala was faster than Mikko so it’s difficult to say.”

Sebastien Ogier will enjoy equal number one status with you this season. What’s your view on that?
“For me it has never been one person who is the lead driver at the start of the season and it’s always the same car for both drivers. Even when I was leading the championship towards the end of last season Seb and Dani [Sordo] both had the same chances as me at the start of the rally.”

Is Sebastien as much of a threat to you as the Ford drivers?
“We have to accept that now he is maybe one of the favourites in the championship. Last year he was very fast on nearly every surface and he will be a good driver this year. It will be interesting.”

What is the atmosphere like in the team?
“It’s going well. I don’t know [Ogier] as well as I knew Dani but for the moment the relationship is quite good. We are both here for the same job and one wants to beat the other. It will be a fight like this but we can still be friends out of the rally and fighting during the race.”

Can you explain where the DS3 is better than the C4 or areas where it’s not so good?
“The DS3 is reacting quicker because it’s shorter. It’s lighter to drive than the C4 and the weight balance is different. The C4 was a big car with a lot of weight around the car with the bodyshell. The weight distribution is better with the DS3 and it’s more reactive. That’s good in some cases on twisty gravel stages where the grip is consistent. But in the fast, tricky stages where the grip is changing, like it can be in Sweden, then this case the car is more nervous.”

Do you have to be more aggressive behind the wheel?
“The reaction of the car is more quicker so you have to be quicker on the steering wheel and of course change gear with your hand.”

Is the car more rewarding to drive?
“It’s good to drive, fun to drive in this way. When you control the car it’s good. When you have to be quick because you lost the grip and lose a bit of control then I prefer the other car.”

What has your contribution been to the development of the DS3 WRC?
“The drivers test everything, there is no evolution we don’t test. The engineer made the first start in testing, we find the problem and we analyse the problem with them and with the data. We validate everything. We have a big part in the job. We don’t just drive the car.”
http://www.wrc.com/news/features/qa-seb ... ?fid=14059

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 28 Jan 2011, 15:56

MINI satisfied its drivers will be raring to go

MINI WRC Team drivers Kris Meeke and Dani Sordo won't be lacking in match fitness when the squad makes its world championship debut later this season, according to one team official.

Although no confirmation has been forthcoming, the Prodrive-run team is set to break cover on Rally d’Italia Sardegna from May 5-8. With Meeke’s last competitive outing taking place in mid-October 2010, and Sordo not having driven in anger since the Monza Rally Show in November, there is a fear that both pilots will be rally rusty when the gravel event gets underway in less than five months from now.

However, Richard Taylor, who heads up Prodrive’s commercial operations, said he is not concerned about his drivers’ lack of competitive running.

“We’re going to be doing a fair amount of testing as we run up to the homologation and the launch and that really will keep the drivers busy,” said Taylor. “We’ve got two tests coming up in February. Kris has also been doing several days of demonstrations, which gives him plenty of time in the car.”

Taylor confirmed there was also a plan in place for both drivers to undertake official reconnaissance of events that are likely to feature on the WRC calendar in 2012, adding: “Certainly we’re looking at that for events we expect to be in the championship next year. It will obviously make sense for the drivers to do those recces so we’re looking to put that in place as well.”

MIINI’s test programme will take Meeke and Sordo to Spain and France next month in order to undertake further development on gravel.

“We’re working primarily on gravel at the moment,” added Taylor. “Obviously we’ve got Tarmac events coming up later in the year but we’ll focus on that much more in the second quarter. But in the first quarter we’ll concentrate on the gravel. We’re going to be in Spain and France. It’s a very busy period.”
http://www.wrc.com/news/mini-satisfied- ... ?fid=14060