Rally of Turkey 2010

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
apple
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Rally of Turkey 2010

Post by apple » 16 Apr 2010, 18:24

dindi wrote:
Off-Topic: show
That illustration is a bit inaccurate, a certain part should've been drawn bigger.
Eeva: You smoke, too, right?
Off-Topic: show
actually tried it at the age of 12 but my cousin used rather rough way to get me out of it..he poisoned me with the cigarette pack, I had to smoke the whole pack at once. Needless to say how sick I was, but it worked. :blink:

Dracaena
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dracaena » 16 Apr 2010, 18:29

dindi wrote:Here you go, Eeva (will take a while to find the picture you're talking about. For demo purposes, this'll do):
(Off the KR Fan Club on FB)
Hey hey Kimi, have you been working out :n?

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 16 Apr 2010, 18:56

http://www.rallybuzz.com/redbull-kimira ... -wrc-turk/
DELIGHT IN TURKEY FOR KIMI AND KAJ

Red Bull Rally of Turkey day one report

Mint, cinnamon, pistachio, roses and walnut: all flavours of lokum, which is better known throughout the world as 'Turkish delight'.

These exotic flavours sound considerably more romantic than the fattening reality of the ingredients: starch and sugar. So Turkish delight is not recommended for anybody on a diet. Nor is it a great present for people who are colour blind or have an uncontrollable hatred of traffic lights, given that Turkish delight mainly comes in red, yellow and green varieties.

There are many stories as to how the original sweet was created. One story says that it was commissioned by a Sultan to please his many wives. Napoleon, Pablo Picasso and Winston Churchill are just three of the famous people to have loved this Turkish treasure ever since.

But Kimi Raikkonen doesn't need sugary desserts to feel the delight in Turkey. And it wasn't just Red Bull giving him wings either: a spectacular jump on stage four of the Rally of Turkey launched all the cars several metres into the air. So far, round four of the World Rally Championship has been a breathtaking show.

After a great opening day that concluded with a superspecial in the centre of Istanbul, Kimi ended up in a solid eighth place overall with two tough days of the Rally of Turkey still to go. So he's not drawing any conclusions just yet.

"It's been good today," said the Iceman. "We've really been sticking with the tactic of going at a comfortable speed in order to make sure that we get to the finish and hopefully score some points. Actually, it's really hard to say how the rest of the rally will go because all the days are very different, but the main thing is that we're enjoying ourselves - especially over the big jumps! We've had no problems at all today: on one stage this morning I didn't have such a great feeling, but for only our fourth WRC rally in this car it's going well. There's obviously a lot more to come from us, so it's simply a question of learning."

Kaj Lindstrom, the voice of experience inside the Red Bull car, was also delighted by Kimi's progress in Turkey. "Today was just what we were after: a nice, solid beginning to the rally that sets us up well for the challenge of tomorrow," he said. "I think that's going to be the hardest day of the event, as we've got some really tough roads and long stages. But Kimi is taking everything in his stride: nothing bothers him. Making the switch to rallying is a massive challenge, so he's a brave guy. But I think everyone knew that already!"

source: red bull

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 16 Apr 2010, 18:57

I missed all the action in this busy day but I'm happy for the results so far. What time does it start tomorrow ?

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 16 Apr 2010, 18:59

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=10 ... -+Saturday++
Rally of Turkey stage guides - Saturday

Day two in Turkey starts at 0857hrs, when the first car leaves the overnight parc ferme in Pendik. Ahead lie 145.82 competitive kilometres arranged over eight timed special stages.

In the morning, crews will tackle a loop of four consecutive stages in the countryside north of the Service Park before heading back for a 30-minute midday service. In the afternoon crews will repeat the same loop before a 45-minute end of day service.

Here are our wrc.com stage notes for Saturday’s stages. Under the summaries you'll find our list of essential website links to help you follow the rally via the wrc.com live results service.

SS10/SS14: Gocbeyli. 18.17km
The opening 14kms are on an asphalt public road - a surface which could seriously damage the competitors' gravel tyres. The surface is old and has had a lot of repair work over the years so it's bumpy and very abrasive. There's a lot of loose gravel by the roadside which will be dragged onto the racing line - especially on the corners. The stage switches back to gravel for the final 4kms which are a mixture of tight and twisty and quicker, flowing sections.

SS11/SS15: Ulupelit. 12.98km
After a narrow and twisty 2kms at the start, this stage opens out into classic flowing, cambered roads, not unlike those of Rally New Zealand. This should be a popular stage with drivers because there's a chance to get into a good driving rhythm. In the last few kilometres the stage goes over the top of a hill before descending through a gorge to the finish. The gravel surface is generally smooth and will clean to benefit the cars further down the running order.

SS12/SS16: Bozhane. 14.59km
Another mixed surface stage; Bozhane starts from a small town on a very narrow, rough gravel road. Organisers have put down a lot of fresh gravel here and in some places it’s about 30cms deep. The opening 8.6kms are on the gravel but there are many different grades, from small and smooth to very big sharp rough stones. Punctures could feature here if drivers aren't careful. Any road cleaning will be intermittent - with the deepest gravel sections not improving at all. The final 6km are on asphalt, with the same sort of bumpy, abrasive surface seen on Gocbeyli.

SS13/SS17: Riva. 27.17km
Riva stands apart as the longest and toughest stage of the rally and has the potential to cause some serious upsets - especially on the repeat pass. The road is made of thick gravel and big, sharp stones from beginning to end. But despite the rough surface Riva is extremely fast - flat-out for most of the way with only a few chicanes to bring down the average speed. The opening 10kms are wide, fast and flowing, but the huge stones on the road could cause punctures if they're hit too hard. Road cleaning won't be an issue here because the gravel is too heavy. After skirting the Black Sea coast the stage becomes tighter with a smoother surface, so it will remain quick. The final two kilometres are actually on the beach, with the waves rolling in on one side and a few jumps before the flying finish in a holiday resort.

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 16 Apr 2010, 19:00

lucian wrote:I missed all the action in this busy day but I'm happy for the results so far. What time does it start tomorrow ?
9.56 local time

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 16 Apr 2010, 19:06

Kriss wrote:
lucian wrote:I missed all the action in this busy day but I'm happy for the results so far. What time does it start tomorrow ?
9.56 local time
Thanks ! I couldn't find that piece of information the official WRC site.

realms
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by realms » 16 Apr 2010, 19:17

I have not bothered to renew the f1 channel subscription ... I follow the qualifying and race on internet these days staring at live timing and the text commenatry ( and live chat ) ... Rally effect I guess :D

jasonbourne
car driver
car driver

Post by jasonbourne » 16 Apr 2010, 19:20

Even I missed the whole day action :( , but what a great day it was :cool: . Ahead of Wilson and just 7 sec behind Villagra. Way to go :shhh: :shhh:

and here is the timetable
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=40 ... ally_id=TR

And thanks all for the videos :thumbsup:

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 16 Apr 2010, 19:22

realms wrote:I have not bothered to renew the f1 channel subscription ... I follow the qualifying and race on internet these days staring at live timing and the text commenatry ( and live chat ) ... Rally effect I guess :D
:lol: you can always find livestreams as well

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 16 Apr 2010, 19:37

jasonbourne wrote:
Even I missed the whole day action :( , but what a great day it was :cool: . Ahead of Wilson and just 7 sec behind Villagra. Way to go :shhh: :shhh:
I missed the first 30 minutes of Suzuka 2005 and the whole race of Spa 2009 (but watched the last one on the next day without knowing the result, so it felt almost like the watching it live).
If there is a connection between me missing races and Kimi winning them, then I'll happily miss them and watch only replays. :O

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 16 Apr 2010, 19:42

Hi guys,

Feel Free to Join our F1 prediction League :D - http://www.f1zone.net/formel.php

It's fun, and very simple

Dracaena
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dracaena » 16 Apr 2010, 19:44

realms wrote:I have not bothered to renew the f1 channel subscription ... I follow the qualifying and race on internet these days staring at live timing and the text commenatry ( and live chat ) ... Rally effect I guess :D
I do the exact same thing :). It started when MTV3 (the Finnish channel that shows F1) moved their live coverage to a chargable channel and I didn't want to pay for the rest of the nonsense that the channel was showing (well, to be honest I didn't really want to pay for the F1 either :lol:). I felt a bit embarrassed of following races this way, since I was just watching numbers and written commentary instead of the actual cars, you know, racing. But now that we're all following rally the exact same way, it doesn't feel so stupid anymore. I mean, we can't see the rally cars live either :).

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 16 Apr 2010, 19:45

Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:
Pyper wrote:
Anelise wrote:Rally of Turkey 2010: Räikkönen and Solberg in SS9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zLx-hiAPc
Thanks Anelise!!!! That was very cool to watch... :thumbsup:

Thanks soooo much Anelise :) :) :)

But damn Kimi this drive over the ramp was pretty lame :lol:
:lol:

Driving smoothly keeping the tyres on the road is often faster then flashier jumps, or getting out of shape too much.

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 16 Apr 2010, 19:50

Dracaena: did you just watch MTV3 rally review? There was a nice and big poster on the boat where was picture of Kimi and text (about that) we follow always Kimi.
I miss a babysitter