Freak F2 accident involving Surtees

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Freak F2 accident involving Surtees

Post by Totopupu » 20 Jul 2009, 20:58

Only the F1 tracks are completely safe these days (except Monaco)

What? Monaco is one of the most non dangerous track.

And it's not because of a death that tracks must be secure.

The security has destroy many great track. And when you are a driver, it means that you take the risk to die.

If this risk will not be in racing, who will see races?
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 20 Jul 2009, 21:05

Totopupu wrote:If this risk will not be in racing, who will see races?

You make me sick.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Totopupu » 20 Jul 2009, 21:25

Sick?

But I am sure you never watch "speed limited" races like FIA GT where drivers have less risk.
And why (probably) you watch F1 which is the speedest racing series and not F2?
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 21 Jul 2009, 06:41

Totopupu wrote:Sick?

But I am sure you never watch "speed limited" races like FIA GT where drivers have less risk.
And why (probably) you watch F1 which is the speedest racing series and not F2?

Well I'm sure people like watching The Tour de France but not necessarily Indoor track racing

You're crazy! - A young driver has died and you're glorifying it - and you cannot understand why Ali thinks you're sick? You think we all watch motorsport in the hope that young talented drivers die? You need help mate, serious help. A young man has died here and you're glorifying death?

Also, whats worse for Palmer is that not only did the accident happen in a car he designed, but it could have been his son...and he owns Brands Hatch
Last edited by phil1993 on 21 Jul 2009, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 21 Jul 2009, 07:24

From 10 tenths:

I was the first marshal on scene and as previous post said, I stopped the enigine as Henry had his foot flat on the throttle with the car in gear. As for the rest of my actions I won't air them in public but I did the best that I could for Henry.

I would like to thank every marshal on post 18 for their swift actions in backing me up. Whilst I was busy with Henry I was glad to see that I had a fellow marshal covering me with a bottle, the flag marshal and my son Tom waving red and yellow flags and the Observer busy on the phone after my shout for Medics. Subsequent jobs that I detailed were carried out without question.

The medical teams were fantastic in what they did and deserve a massive amount of praise.

I would like to also thank the trainee marshal that we had on post (sorry,I'm terrible with names) who came to me after the incident and said " You've gone round checking if everyone on post is OK but no one's asked you if your OK?" I then found that my hands were shaking.

Thanks also go to Jon Bryant, a photographer at Brands who is also an ex marshal for coming across and asking if I was OK.

My thoughts are with Henrys father John, who I met a few years ago, the rest of the Surtees family and their friends on this sad loss.

R.I.P. Henry.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 21 Jul 2009, 07:32

Jaime Alguersuari (former team-mate)

"I got to know Henry at Donington last year when he came to drive [in F3] with Carlin and on the Thursday before the race he and I went to Alton Towers. We spent the day going around together and got on really well. To hear the news, especially this week, means a lot to me. This weekend was going to be perhaps the best weekend of my life, but now there is a shadow.

"The risk is something every driver knows, we all know there is this very small possibility. My prayers go out to his family, for all the people involved in motorsport it is very sad news. The Surtees family have all of my support, I have already sent them some messages. I will try and do my best in the future and for the Surtees family this weekend."

Edoardo Piscopo (fellow Formula 2 driver)

"It's a great tragedy and we're all shocked for what happened. It's been a really unfortunate accident that could have happened to any one of us. Henry was a good guy and a great driver and, in these terrible moments, my thoughts are with the Surtees family.

"I ended up both races in the points zone, but results mean nothing after what happened. Being back on-track at Donington will be tough for everybody."

Jack Clarke (fellow Formula 2 driver)

"The odds of that incident playing out like that were just unbelievable. It's very upsetting and very humbling to see and feel the concern of all the drivers at the time, and the sadness now. Henry was only 18, he was honest and a really nice guy, and he was just so quick. You'd look at the timesheet and wonder how he kept doing it.

"Most of the time you see the other drivers as your competitors and the most important thing is to beat them. But something like this happens and the priorities hit home, it's quite haunting.

"Any time a young and talented person is lost is a tragedy, but I think the best way to remember Henry was his pole at Brno and podium on Saturday when he was on top. Everyone's thoughts are with John, Jane and the family."

Ferrari

"A tragic accident on the last motorsport weekend. Henry Surtees, the son of John Surtees, the Formula 1 World Champion with Ferrari in 1964, died last night after an accident at the Brands Hatch circuit in this season's fourth race of the FIA Formula 2 Championship.

"Surtees was hit by a wheel that flew off a car after it had hit the safety barriers, causing him to crash into the guardrail. Surtees died at the Royal London Hospital, where he was taken by ambulance. The 18-year-old had gained a place on the podium the day before, his first of this season.

"Chairman Luca di Montezemolo and Ferrari are close to John Surtees in this moment of great sorrow."

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 21 Jul 2009, 08:55

Totopupu wrote:
Only the F1 tracks are completely safe these days (except Monaco)

What? Monaco is one of the most non dangerous track.

And it's not because of a death that tracks must be secure.

The security has destroy many great track. And when you are a driver, it means that you take the risk to die.

If this risk will not be in racing, who will see races?

the run-off area was fairly small, because if there had been a 100m run off area, the wheel couldn't have bounced back off the wall and back onto the track if there hadn't been a wall there in the first place.

premier
kart driver
kart driver

Post by premier » 21 Jul 2009, 10:05

That's very unfortunate incident

Rachael The Great
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Rachael The Great » 21 Jul 2009, 19:25

oh god, poor guy. only 18 aswell. :(

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by dazmoffman » 21 Jul 2009, 20:51

R.I.P Henry Surtees

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 22 Jul 2009, 05:08

Wow, so young and tragic...RIP Henry

duncbaby
Donator
Donator

Post by duncbaby » 23 Jul 2009, 17:23

RIP ... it is sad indeed, it is really unfortunate that the F1 tyre tether doesn't get transfered to the junior formulas... I can't quite understand why the FIA didnt do that knowing how it has probably saved several F1 drivers (Kubica for example). I have a recording of the race .. but I'm not sure whether I should upload it... ? Any thoughts.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 23 Jul 2009, 17:32

duncbaby wrote:RIP ... it is sad indeed, it is really unfortunate that the F1 tyre tether doesn't get transfered to the junior formulas... I can't quite understand why the FIA didnt do that knowing how it has probably saved several F1 drivers (Kubica for example). I have a recording of the race .. but I'm not sure whether I should upload it... ? Any thoughts.

Don't upload it, we dont need another version, there are plenty on YT.

Interestingly F2 safety standards is up to '2005-spec-F1 safety guidelines' , so why not F1 2009 safety????

The Immortal Dragon
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by The Immortal Dragon » 24 Jul 2009, 14:09

because of money, I believe.
2000 - San Marino (Friday)
2001 - San Marino (Saturday)
2003 - Italy (Sunday)
2008 - Great Britain (Sunday)
2009 - Great Britain (Friday)
2010 - Great Britain (Sunday)
2011 - Belgium (Sunday)
2012 - Germany (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Blindkiller
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Blindkiller » 24 Jul 2009, 15:59

This cars have a problem with rear tyres. Thw two cars involved in the crash lost ther rear tyre as they made contact with the barriers.

I don't know how FIA allow this cars.