MotoGp 2008

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
phil1993

Re: MotoGp 2008

Post by phil1993 » 18 May 2008, 12:47

Absolutely incredible race!!

1. Rossi
2. Lorenzo- What a guy!!! 2 broken ankles and he was 10th in the race at one points
3. Edwards
4. Pedrosa

Incase anyone cares Stoner retired with some kind of mechanical failure

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 18 May 2008, 14:31

Great win to Valentino, he`s back, and i strongly believe he`ll win again in 2 weeks at Mugello!!! Lorenzo has showed today that he his a title contender, let`s see how the season goes about the tyres war, the rubber will be crucial. It would be great to have this kind of competition until the very end of the season.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 May 2008, 14:35

lorenzo without 2 broken ankles = stoner 2007-type dominance?? i had to laugh when he was sat on a chair on the podium - ive never seen that before! he can ride a bike at extreme speeds yet he can't walk!!!! what a legend!

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 18 May 2008, 15:33

Fantastic race, never a dull moment. :p

Rossi brilliant, didn't put a foot wrong and bang was gone once he was in the lead.

Was a bit disappointed in Pedrosa, he fought very well first half but the suddenly lost speed. Tyres?

And Lorenzo...what can you say? The guy is just amazing... :blink:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 18 May 2008, 15:43

Today yamaha was just to strong for Pedrosa, i felt pity for Stoner his season hasn`t been easy and on top of that his bike fails !?!? I just told Phil1993, i don`t know what to say about Lorenzo, he`s simply outstanding, one of those persons that keep surprising you i guess. Rossi could leave the sport tomorow, Yamaha as a factory team already has an amazing replacement.

Soyyo
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soyyo » 18 May 2008, 19:33

What worries me is that Lorenzo could be risking his career, only to have a superb first season an obtain a rookie title or the championship, it could happen that next time he won't be so lucky

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 19 May 2008, 01:43

Can't really beleive Rossi is leading the championship now.Good job on Edwards on the podium today also. I know it's kinda early to say but i don't think Stoner can win the title this year.

gokul009
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by gokul009 » 20 May 2008, 09:49

First time Rossi has had two consecutive wins I think, for over 2 years. And this race was too easy for the Fiat Yamaha team, although Lorenzo would have got closer if not fro his broken ankle...
And Lorenzo, what an amazing drive. He drove two races with a broken ankle and finished fourth in one and secondi n the second, whch means 33 points. Amazing!

andh
car driver
car driver

Post by andh » 28 May 2008, 13:20

Yamaha looks very strong this year. It seems they have the best bike at the moment.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 30 May 2008, 18:53

1st day at Mugello - Heavy rain

First day of free practices in Mugello did not put too many smiles around the paddock, except to Kawasaki garage maybe, as they caught some attention today by taking 1st and 3rd fastest time overall. First free practice took place on drying track, which was not good enough neither for wet or slick tyres. Second free practice took place in completely wet condition, which teams used to refine their wet set-up. Dry conditions were expected tomorrow, so we may expect different order on time sheets. Read rider impressions after day 1 at Mugello.

John Hopkins - 1st - 1:54.053:
This morning started out very wet and we concentrated on our set-up to cope with the conditions out on circuit. We found something that worked quite well for us, and we gradually worked to a dry setting as the sun came out. On full slicks we found that there is quite a bit of work to do, although we did manage to finish the session at the top of the time sheets. In the second stint it was wet again and there was a lot of standing water around the circuit. We went in a different direction with our wet setting, which didn't really work for us. If it's going to be dry on race day I hope that tomorrow we have two dry sessions to set the bike up, if not then we'll go back to our original wet setting and work from there.

Loris Capirossi - 2nd - 1:54.520:
I am very happy today as we now understand a bit more about the bike in these types of conditions. When it was really wet I went well and felt good. I made one mistake today and went straight on, but that was just one of those things that can happen in those conditions. I think we have started the weekend for Mugello in a good way and are quite optimistic. We just hope we have good weather tomorrow so we can get the bike set-up for here. I want to say a big thank-you to all the team because they are all still working so hard to make it happen!

Anthony West - 3rd - 1:55.021:
This weekend has got off to a bit of a strange start for me. The first practice session we went out on track with a full wet set-up and I didn't feel very comfortable on the bike. However, as the track dried out we switched to full slick tyres and I was able to put in some reasonable lap times, finishing third overall. It's usually the wet I'm more comfortable with and today it felt better in the dry! In the second wet practice session the bike was struggling to grip, particularly at the first corner and I couldn't get out of the turns well enough without the rear spinning, which cost us a lot of time. It's also pretty scary aquaplaning a bike at speeds of around 300kmh, so I had to change my lines in some places to avoid hitting the water at an angle. We need to find better traction and make the bike more stable, especially if it's going to continue raining.

Andrea Dovizioso – 6th - 1:55.718:
Today we did a good job and we are satisfied about the result because I was able to ride strong with good lap times and the feeling in the wet was constantly improving. I found Casey Stoner and followed him for a little while, seeing right lines to take around Mugello. It is also important to go well on the straight but there was a puddle, which created an aquaplane effect, which reduced the grip and made the risk of crashing high. I tried different solutions of Michelin tyres and after using a soft kind, we used another and I improved my feeling and my lap-times. I’m also happy because I made my run with a good safety margin without pushing to the limit very much. The weather forecast says the next few days will be better but today was very important because I rode in very difficult conditions but this has been an important experience for the next time.

Chris Vermeulen - 7th - 1:55.774:
It was quite difficult here with the weather today at Mugello. This morning it dried out and at the end of the session I was able to go out on slicks, which was good for me as I am still learning a lot about this track. Unfortunately it was still wet in places and that made it difficult to go too quick, but I do feel like I know the circuit again. This afternoon was completely wet and at the start of the session it was a bit dangerous as there was so much water on the track. It stopped raining though and the standing water ran off and the surface became very consistent. I am obviously very happy with the way the bike performed in the wet and I hope it is dry tomorrow so we can try to do the same as we have done today!

Dani Pedrosa - 8th - 1:55.805:
This morning track conditions were 50/50, not completely dry, not completely wet. We started working on wet set-up and we needed to do a lot of testing. We also tested different rain tyres as the track conditions always change a lot when it’s raining. In the afternoon the track was properly wet, in one area there was a lot of standing water which made riding quite dangerous. At the end of the session the rainfall slowed and the lap times improved. If it’s wet again tomorrow we are in quite good shape, though there is still room for improvement. If it’s dry, as the weather forecast suggests, it will be a completely new story as far as set-up is concerned. Mugello is a very technical and demanding track where you need perfect chassis settings. So if it’s dry tomorrow we will have to work hard for the race.

Casey Stoner - 9th - 1:58.618:
This morning was half dry and half wet so it was pretty pointless going out on slick tyres and doing slow times. That's why we decided not to use them at the end of the session, as a few other riders did. This afternoon we got some track time in fully wet conditions, which is much more useful. Having said that it was very wet and visibility was almost non-existent - especially behind the screen. It's hard enough trying to see through the screen without having rain splattered all over it and we don't exactly have windscreen wipers to get rid of the water! So it was quite hard visibility-wise but it was actually quite a lot of fun because the grip was good, especially at the beginning. The only problem was aquaplaning but other than that I felt safe and I enjoyed it. We don't really feel as though we've got the setting down yet. I didn't really feel 100% comfortable on the bike - it was very nervous and I wasn't getting much feeling from the tyres so we definitely need to work a little bit harder tomorrow and try to find a different solution if it's going to be wet. As far as I know the forecast is dry, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Valentino Rossi - 10th - 1:58.672, 35 laps:
There was really a lot of water here today! It’s a pity because it’s wonderful here when it’s sunny and I think that like this it’s not so fun for the fans, plus we’ve really lost a whole day of practice because it seems it’s going to be dry from now on! This morning was very tricky with the track quite patchy, so I preferred to take it easy in these conditions. This afternoon was very useful however and we were able to make some important modifications to our wet set-up, which enabled us to go quite fast at the end and finish fourth. At the start of the session it was so wet that it felt a bit dangerous, so it was necessary to be very careful, but it was better in the second half and I am glad we’ve had this session because it reassures us that we’re fast also in the wet. From now on here I think, and hope, that it’s going to be dry so we will start again tomorrow. Missing one day like this means that our setting for Sunday in the dry won’t be as perfect as it might have been, but anyway we would still prefer it to be dry, for us and for the fans!

Nicky Hayden - 12th - 1:59.436:
Everything went pretty smooth today apart from the weather. This morning right at the end it didn’t look good because we were on wets and the guys on slicks took a lot of time out of us, but earlier when it was raining, we were on top with not long to go. This afternoon at the beginning things weren’t great, we were maybe a little bit too hard on set-up, then when the heavy rain stopped the tyres and bike worked better. We tried a few things for the rain but we ended up with the bike exactly how it was when we got it off the truck and that seems the best set-up for us. I know it’s only in the wet, but the way things went at Le Mans, it’s certainly a bit more fun when you’re near the front and competitive, whether it’s wet or dry or snowing or whatever. If it’s dry tomorrow it’ll be really important to make the most of the two hours for the race on Sunday.

Jorge Lorenzo - 14th - 2:00.004, 41 laps:
Today I am actually very happy because we were quite fast in the rain! When I first rode the M1 in the wet I found it very hard but bit by bit we have improved and today I felt quite confident. The morning was very strange and I didn’t want to take too many risks; my ankles are feeling much better but I don’t want to make any more mistakes! This afternoon however when it was fully wet I did a lot of laps and I was able to make one long run of 19 consecutive laps, during which I was able to find a good rhythm. We tried some new Michelin rain tyres and it seems they’re very good, so I’m happy about this. Now though I hope it’s going to be dry because it is easier like this and also it means the race will be shorter, which I prefer while I am still not physically at 100%.

Marco Melandri - 15th - 2:00.162:
Today has been really difficult because we haven't been able to find a good setting with the engine braking - to the point that this morning on a damp track I ran straight twice because the wheel was locking. In the afternoon the rain increased and the situation clearly got worse, so much so that I didn't feel I could ride. Tomorrow we need to find a solution so I hope it is dry.

Sylvain Guintoli – 16th - 2:01.718, 33 laps:
I am surprised after this day of work. I didn’t think I would finish so far behind with these track conditions. I wanted and I had to do much better. I was too slow in braking and when entering the turns. The bike didn’t react as I wanted it to and now we have to understand what has happened. We have to analyze the telemetric data to understand where and how to improve. If the track conditions remain the same tomorrow we should be able to make a big step forward in the classification.

Tadayuki Okada - 17th - 2:02.810:
When I crashed, it was my second lap on new tyres and they were not warm enough, so when I braked the front end tucked under. Till then, I was setting up the machine smoothly. Although it is almost eight years since I last raced in a GP I had a good feeling and felt confident riding with the other riders. Of course, wet conditions hide the subtle differences between settings changes, so we will have to see how it goes in the dry. I hope it will be dry tomorrow and that I can find a good set-up for the race.

Toni Elias – 18th - 2:03.305, 33 laps:
With these track conditions the difficulties we encountered until this moment have gotten bigger: also for this reason we are in eighteenth position today. Knowing what is limiting our performances, we can radically change our work method. Tomorrow, both with rain or sun, we will try completely different solutions to try to conclude in a sensibly better position. I remain trustful and I believe that with my Team we will be able to work well for this important race for us.

Mugello - day 1 combined free practice times
1. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing 1'54.053
2. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1'54.520
3. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing 1'55.021
4. Alex De Angelis (RSM) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'55.141
5. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'55.528
6. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JiR Team Scot MotoGP 1'55.718
7. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki 1'55.774
8. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda 1'55.805
9. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro 1'58.618
10. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1'58.672
11. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1'59.240
12. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda 1'59.436
13. James Toseland (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha 1'59.899
14. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'00.004
15. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro 2'00.162
16. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Alice Team 2'01.718
17. Tadyuki Okada (JPN) Repsol Honda Team 2'02.810
18. Toni Elias (SPA) Alice Team 2'03.305
19. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha 2'03.586

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 30 May 2008, 21:19

Was Colin Edwards so pissed off he didn't want to say anything? (just kidding) :nosweat:

Funny though that Vermeulen and West ALWAYS are so fast in the wet.

Oh, and my boat engine is a Suzuki btw, so DO I know Suzuki is fine in the wet! :cheezy:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 31 May 2008, 13:05

Qualifying: Dry:

1 Rossi
2 Pedrosa
3 Capirossi
4 Stoner
5 Edwards

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 31 May 2008, 16:21

Looks like another Rossi-Mugello win...
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 31 May 2008, 23:02

It does. Don't think anyone can beat Rossi tomorrow.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 01 Jun 2008, 01:27

MP4/4#12 wrote:Great win to Valentino, he`s back, and i strongly believe he`ll win again in 2 weeks at Mugello!!!
If it rains Sukuki and Stoner will have good winning chances, but if it`s dry...^^^^