It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 11:35

All times are UTC

Post subject: Michigan Nascar Racing
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 00:29  
F1 Rookie

Quote:
Denny Hamlin easily beat Matt Kenseth to score his second Busch Series victory of the year in the Carfax 250 at Michigan International Speedway.

Hamlin led 69 laps, more than half the distance, and had little opposition from the Roush Fenway driver since their last pitstops, which came under green flag conditions past the halfway point of the race.

The fans and Hamlin's rivals were expecting a caution flag to bring things back to status quo, but there were no incidents after the green flag waved at the end of the last caution period of the day on lap 36 of 125.

"I knew if I just saved that right front tyre we were going to be better in the long run," said Hamlin, who had damaged his car after making contact with the wall during Friday practice.

"I knew about five-six laps into a run, when out car started coming on, that we were going to have the car to beat. I pancaked the wall, so I gave [my team] some extra work yesterday. Here's the way to make up for it today."

Kenseth could only watch how Hamlin drove into the distance, finishing nearly seven seconds behind the Joe Gibbs driver. He had nothing to do against Hamlin's pace in the end, despite racing him hard in the first part of the race.

"I had a really good car today," Kenseth said. "It was real fun there with Denny. We could've had a shot at him but we got a little bit off in the end there and really we just got beat out in the finish and that was kind of the difference."

Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton and pole-sitter Greg Biffle rounded up the top five. Mark Martin, who was running sixth in the No. 5 Hendrick car just before the end of the race, was a victim of the shortage of caution flags, running out of fuel in the last lap to finish 14th.

Brad Kaselowski, driving for Dale Earnhardt Jr, ran in the top ten in the end, but was another one falling short of stretching his fuel mileage dropping him to 13th, despite a solid run which he hopes helps him secure his seat for the balance of the season.

Brian Vickers was among the six leaders of the race, completing 19 laps up front after starting from the front row of the grid.

He lost any chance of victory when he pitted for fuel in the last caution of the day, expecting to profit from his strategy gamble in a later caution that never arrived. He still finished 6th as the best placed Toyota.

Points' leader Carl Edwards continued his run of bad results and crossed the chequer flag in 28th after an early incident with Ganassi's Reed Sorenson. He has seen his lead in the championship just slightly cut to 700 points to Kevin Harvick, who jumped David Reutimann in the standings.
Pos Driver Make Laps
1. Denny Hamlin Chevrolet 125
2. Matt Kenseth Ford 125
3. Kevin Harvick Chevrolet 125
4. Jeff Burton Chevrolet 125
5. Greg Biffle Ford 125
6. Brian Vickers Toyota 125
7. Paul Menard Chevrolet 125
8. Todd Bodine Toyota 125
9. Casey Mears Chevrolet 125
10. Clint Bowyer Chevrolet 125
11. Jamie McMurray Ford 125
12. Mark Martin Chevrolet 124
13. Brad Keselowski Chevrolet 124
14. Jason Leffler Toyota 124
15. Brad Coleman Chevrolet 124
16. David Reutimann Toyota 124
17. JJ Yeley Chevrolet 124
18. Bobby Labonte Chevrolet 124
19. Marcos Ambrose Ford 124
20. Reed Sorenson Dodge 124
21. David Ragan Ford 124
22. Jason Keller Chevrolet 124
23. Mike Wallace Chevrolet 124
24. David Stremme Dodge 124
25. Sam Hornish Jr Dodge 124
26. Stephen Leicht Ford 124
27. Bobby Hamilton Jr Ford 124
28. Carl Edwards Ford 124
29. David Gilliland Ford 123
30. Tony Stewart Chevrolet 123
31. Kasey Kahne Dodge 123
32. Kelly Bires Ford 123
33. Brian Keselowski Dodge 123
34. Kyle Krisiloff Ford 122
35. Ward Burton Ford 122
36. Jeff Green Chevrolet 122
37. Steve Wallace Dodge 122
38. Bobby East Ford 121
39. Mark Green Chevrolet 108
40. Brent Sherman Chevrolet 65
41. Morgan Shepherd Dodge 22
42. Kevin Hamlin Dodge 7
43. Kertus Davis Chevrolet 6

Jeff Gordon and Greg Biffle lead of Row 1 tomorrow in the Nextel Cup Series.

Post subject: Re: Michigan Nascar Racing
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 00:34  
F1 Rookie

Rained out today :(

New start 12PM eastern 5pm UK TIME Monday.