newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Rate the 2009 German Grand Prix

Post by newtrex » 13 Jul 2009, 04:56

1 - Best Driver : Webber / Massa / Rosberg
2 - Best Team : Red Bull (1 - 2) / Force India
3 - Best Overtake: Fisi on Alonso
4 - Best Moment : Webber screaming on radio when he won the race / Massa puts deal forward with Vettel downforce in exchange of KERS.
5 - Worst Driver : Kimi / Hamilton
6 - Worst Team : BMW (No were to be seen)
7 - Biggest Surprise : Hamilton could not recover from 1st lap (this means the pace of McLaren is not great). Rosberg came from nowhere. Force India almost scored point. Alonso setting lightning pace at the end of the race. Brown for once in his life fail to get the proper strategy.
8 - General Comment : This race again proved that KERS cars are hard to pass even if the car behind is 2 second a lap faster.

palino
kart driver
kart driver

Post by palino » 13 Jul 2009, 06:14

1 - Best Driver : Webber, Massa, Kovalainen
2 - Best Team : Red Bull
3 - Best Overtake: Nakajima on Glock
4 - Best Moment : Heikki in points..
5 - Worst Driver : Vettel
6 - Worst Team : STR
7 - Biggest Surprise : Alonso spins in warm up, Webber's stupid penalty, Brawn strategy, Alonso's finish
8 - General Comment : Sutil/Raikkonen or Sutil/Ferrari driver again - Sutil must afraid Ferrari..

BMWSauber5
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by BMWSauber5 » 13 Jul 2009, 13:29

Best Driver - Webber
Best Team - Red Bull
Best Overtake - Heidfeld on Kubica
Best Moment - Massa on the podium
Worst Driver - Hamilton!
Worst team - STR
Biggest Surprise - Webber's penalty / Massa holding up Barrichello & Co.
General Comment - KERS fail, good to hear Brundle's voice!
I'm not scared of Swine Flu, i believe that if i get bitten by a pig, it gives me special powers. :p

Tommi
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Tommi » 13 Jul 2009, 16:03

1 - Best Driver Webber
2 - Best Team Red Bull
3 - Best Overtake -
4 - Best Moment -
5 - Worst Driver Hamilton
6 - Worst Team Toro Rosso, Brawn
7 - Biggest Surprise Webber's penalty

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Jul 2009, 12:02

1 - Best Driver
I must say Mark Webber. Even though he had way the fastest car, he still managed to beautifully overcome the drive-through and also owned Sebastian Vettel throughout the weekend. Special credit to Nico Rosberg for his superior rise to 4th from 14th, honorable mention to Fernando Alonso who had his most fighting weekend of 2009, and I must say, Renault are starting to look a tad more promising.
2 - Best Team
It's boring but true to say Red Bull. In this category, the honorable mention goes to Force India. Fisi was superb, and Sutil should have finished 4th. Shame him and Kimi gave each other no quarter.
3 - Best Overtake
There were quite a few good overtakes; Alonso made good ones on Heidfeld and Glock. Buttons' overtakes on Massa, Heidfeld and Buemi were good, and Nakajima made that great opportunist lunge round Glock. Fisichella also made some great progress, overtaking Buemi, Heidfeld and Alonso.
I think the two best were Nakajima on Glock and Alonso on Heidfeld on the opening lap at the fast chicane, and Alonso's outside-inside manouevre on a long-running Glock was rather nifty too.
4 - Best Moment
Eddie Jordan quietly but forcefully pushing Ciaron Pilbeam's mic closer to his face in order to be heard better in the post race interview. That or the whole part of the race where Alonso was flying, or the moment when I realized that Webber was probably going to win.
5 - Worst Driver
Jarno Trulli. He had an appalling start, found himself in the area of track with the least amount and greatest sparseness of cars on it and still managed to collide with Kazuki Naka. Then he trailed around in second last for the entire grand prix. I would say Hamilton for wanting to give up, but he didn't, and the puncture wasn't his fault, so he was probably in the top 5 worst definitely after Trulli and perhaps Bourdais (I don't know - did we see enough of Bourdais to even conclude that he drove in the race?) simply due to the fact he trailed around at slow-ish pace - mind you, what could he do?
6 - Worst Team
Brawn. They lacked sheer pace, screwed Rubens over with some sub-standard pitwork and were threatened by a Renault. Enough said.
7 - Biggest Surprise
Me rating this Grand Prix on a Thursday (I was away from Sunday to Tuesday night, and thanks to iPlayer's download times and my own lack of bandwidth, I only watched it on Wednesday night before hitting the pub). The pace of the Red Bulls, Mark Webber's first win, Hamilton's epic bad luck at the first corner, and the fact that, despite the lack of a massive amount of overtakes, I found this the most enjoyable Grand Prix since China.

8 - General Comment

On the incidents and accidents in the race:
So, three incidents of note:
1. Ok, the Webber vs Rubens incident was clearly a sharp, punishable movement from Webber and the penalty is absolutely fair enough. Barrichello had no chance to avoid him because the movement was so sharp and lairy. The fact that Rubens' car was undamaged is immaterial. It was still dangerous.
2. The incident between Hamilton and Webber less than 10 seconds afterwards was nobody's fault. Certainly, Webber did not move from his line at all, and if anything, it was Hamilton moving in towards Webber in that corner (which it was his perfect right to do). Neither guy moved sharply or dangerously, I think Webber was merely caught in a Rubens-Lewis sandwich and held his line too much for Lewis not to hit him. I don't think you can ascribe the blame to either Webber or Hamilton. Joost, I think that Webber's movement can't be considered as sharp, or dangerous, and therefore the incident was in my view incomparable to say Hamilton-Webber at Monza last year, or to Webber-Barrichello.
3. The incident between Kimi and Sutil was no way anyone's fault. Both took a line where they predicted the other wouldn't be, and both made mistakes, but it wasn't agressive or foul play, just incredibly unfortunate for both drivers. No action on the incident is exactly right.

On the drive through and strategy:
When you think about it, if you consider Webber's drive-through to be a pitstop, at the point before Barrichello had pitted and Webber had taken his drive-through, both had three stops to make, but Webber was going to have the shorter time spent in the pits on the first "stop" (i.e. the drive-through) and was goin to be fueled longer at his "second stop" i.e. his first. Therefore due to longer running, I always thought that Webber was going to win from the drive-through onwards. Red Bull's tactical nous meant that they waited until he was as out of range of Kovalainen as possible before taking the drive-through, which was clever.

On Alonso and Rosberg:
Alonso had a weird race. He spent the first half of it completely under the radar after a bad start, which became an average start (regaining 12th, his starting spot) after some great positioning of the car in the opening complex of corners. Then he got overtaken by Fisichella in a thoroughly apathetic way and then suddenly absolutely cme alive to overtake Glock and outlast everyone else from the same area of the grid, putting in mega laps all the time. Rosberg was the only person from lower on the grid to finsih ahead of him, because Rosberg was immense; he put in mega laps while running longer than anyone else in the whole race to earn a deserved 4th place. These two were my dark horse guys for man of the race, along with Massa.

On Force India
I'm amazed at the progress they've made. Their drivers' confidence is also telling. Fisichella overtook Buemi, Heidfeld, Alonso and Nakajima in order to finish in the fight for the final point which was tantalizingly close, while Sutil would have probably finished ahead of the Brawns were it not for the incident with Raikkonen. I look forward to their Hungary showing.

China - 9/10
Malaysia - 8/10
Australia - 7/10
Germany - 7/10 - I accidently put 8/10 on the poll, but I think it was a decent dry race like Australia, with slightly less overtakes and action, but with a terrific plot and interest to the race with the penalty for Webber, Alonso's charge and the battle for the last point as well as the second group of front-runners in the first half of the race initially battling (Kovy, Button, Massa, Vettel, Raikkonen, with Sutil and Rosberg chasing at a distance)
Britain - 6/10
Bahrain - 6/10
Spain - 6/10
Monaco - 6/10
Turkey - 5/10
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 16 Jul 2009, 15:59

We should change the "worst driver" into "unluckiest driver" as most people voted Hamilton.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Jul 2009, 16:40

sejtur wrote:We should change the "worst driver" into "unluckiest driver" as most people voted Hamilton.
Which I don't think is fair at all. The puncture wasn't his fault and he could do nothing from the back. The thing that made his race probably in the worst 50% was the fact that he wanted to give up (as evidenced by the radio transmission) and the fact that his laptimes backed this up - they were apathetic - but then, why shouldn't they have been. I'm not gonna pretend I didn't enjoy seeing him finish last, but it's not fair in my view to call him the worst driver.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 16 Jul 2009, 16:54

Well, if people don't like others to answer in a certain way, they shouldn't ask the question at all. I mean, criticizing a poll is a bit weird because it's about opinions after all. You shouldn't make a poll if you're not going to like the results.

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 16 Jul 2009, 17:06

I just said it because alot of people seem to be quick to judge. Like, in this case, when someone comes in last, it doesn't always mean that he has had the worst drive of all. IMO Hamilton was unlucky that his tyre got puntures at the 1st corner, then had to crawl back to the pits over the whole circuit. I didn't like that he wanted to give up either, but he came in last and it wasn't his fault I think. So to me, he's not the worst driver of this GP.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Jul 2009, 19:19

AzShadow wrote:Well, if people don't like others to answer in a certain way, they shouldn't ask the question at all. I mean, criticizing a poll is a bit weird because it's about opinions after all. You shouldn't make a poll if you're not going to like the results.
Well if you don't like the way we reacted to your answer, maybe you shouldn't have answered. Everyone has a right to an opinion, whether it be an original opinion or an opinion on an opinion. That's what a forum is about.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 06:14

1 - Best Driver - Webber/Felipe baby
2 - Best Team - Red Bull
3 - Best Overtake - Not sure
4 - Best Moment - Webber "Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah etc"
5 - Worst Driver - Sebastian 'The car is horrible to drive on this track' Bourdais
6 - Worst Team - STR
7 - Biggest Surprise - Barrichello's outburst
8 - General Comment - Nice race, nice to see Webber win

Earth
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Earth » 18 Jul 2009, 21:02

1 - Best Driver: Webber
2 - Best Team: Force India
3 - Best Overtake: Jenson on Buemi
4 - Best Moment: Isn't :(
5 - Worst Driver: Bourdais
6 - Worst Team: STR
7 - Biggest Surprise: very good start for cars with KERS
8 - General Comment: First time on Formula 1, I was waiting for summer weather as in Czech Republic, but when we arrived I was surprised :lol: . Brawn's performance was poor, but it couldn't hurt me in this great weekend :O

Troy
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Troy » 24 Jul 2009, 16:48

1- Webber for sure
2- Red Bull, still the top team
3- Fisichella passing Alonso (couldn't do it when they were in the same car!)
4- The start
5- Piquet, nowhere near Alonso even though he started ahead
6- Toro Rosso was the slowest
7- Webber didn't just spontaneously combust at the last corner
8- First time I cried watching F1 in a long time. WEBBER!
Fingers Crossed for Raikkonen at McLaren!!