No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 60

phil1993

Re: 2009 ING Turkish Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 07 Jun 2009, 18:28

Laps Led: Button 56.5; Vettel 0.5; Webber 1

Kovalainen fastest through the speed trap at 312.8km/h; Button's fastest was 304.3km/h, putting him only 18th!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Jun 2009, 09:18

McLaren conceed title defence is over
Spoiler:
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has conceded that Lewis Hamilton's title defence is all but over - as he fears his outfit would not even be on the podium for a while judging by its poor performance in Turkey.

After encouraging progress early in the season, McLaren suffered a slump down the order in Istanbul as Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen struggled with the high-speed aerodynamic deficiencies of their car.

And with Hamilton having now failed to score points for the last three races, Whitmarsh conceded that runaway title leader Jenson Button was now all but out of reach.

"I think you have to say that Jenson looks in good shape, and I am sure he deserves it," he explained. "He has had years of really struggling in the dark and now he is doing a fantastic job, he is in a competitive car and I have to say that he looks like he is going to be the world champion. I think he is doing a fantastic job.

"With regards to us, then we have to make sure that we are strong next year. We have to make sure that the way in which we approach next year is that we apply adequate resource."

Whitmarsh believes that his team and Ferrari are still suffering from having pushed so hard and long with development last year – at a time when teams like Brawn and Red Bull Racing were focusing entirely on their 2009 challengers.

"I think ourselves and Ferrari are still struggling as a consequence of what has happened in the last few years, but at the same time to say we are a racing team and to say we are not going to try and win a race this year is not in our make up.

"It is not in our DNA – we will be pushing hard to see how we can improve the car. We are realistic, we are not making any predictions that we are going to be back there on the podium any time soon, but we are going to keep pushing and learning what we can from this car and making sure that we apply adequate resource to next year's car to make sure we are competitive."

Whitmarsh said the team was not too surprised that it had a troubled time in Turkey – despite some encouraging laps from Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen in Friday practice.

"I think Friday when there was low track grip and you saw people getting exciting, I don't think people in our camp were getting excited," he said. "We were realistic.

"We knew it was going to be a tough weekend and so I think also when you don't' qualify well, you look at Rubens (Barrichello's) performance in a vastly superior car, you cannot make progress and it is very, very difficult to recover. So, if you are back there in qualifying then there is little you can do. Our drivers drove a solid race but you can't rescue yourself."

When asked by AUTOSPORT if he feared another difficult time at Hamilton's home race at Silverstone next week, Whitmarsh said: "I think it is going to be hard, but we will fight and do the best we can."

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 08 Jun 2009, 09:33

phil1993 wrote:Laps Led: Button 56.5; Vettel 0.5; Webber 1

Kovalainen fastest through the speed trap at 312.8km/h; Button's fastest was 304.3km/h, putting him only 18th!
If you look at the top speed through turn 8, Button was on top, with Kovalainen at the bottom, or nearly at the bottom.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 08 Jun 2009, 10:02

Webber was on identical strategy to Button, and near the end of the race Webber was 15 secs behind Button.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 08 Jun 2009, 11:15

Red Bull sucks when it's down to strategy. They are not as flexible as Brawn. It had to be two races to convince them to fuel Vettel lighter to get the pole and now, someone should make them watch 2004 France GP in order to see what is to have a flexible strategy calls.

For those who can't remember what happened in 2004 France, Schumacher won the race by 4 pit stop strategy, which was adapted during the race by -guess who?- yes, Ross Brawn.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Jun 2009, 11:52

Q. Do you feel better that you are allowed to race freely?

RB: Yeah, for six years I couldn't, so now that I can, I do.

ferrarifanman
kart driver
kart driver

Post by ferrarifanman » 09 Jun 2009, 16:47

Bit disappointed as I expected more from Ferrari this race.

However congratulations to Button a deserved win. No mistakes! I just hope someone can challenge him for the title starting next race.
ImageImage

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 10 Jun 2009, 19:33

Q. There were wild rumours on race morning about an eight team boycott of the Turkish Grand Prix...

Mario TheissenT: Yeah, unfortunately it did not get through to us, so we didn't know about it.

Q. Can you confirm that it was not discussed in the meeting?

MT: Yes. It was not talked about at all.

Q. A wild rumour...

MT: Yes, we just decided to race one hour later, but that was known to you as well.

Code: Select all

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75988
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen